Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,083 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

The King Cobra Vs Python - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / The King Cobra Vs Python (7965 Views)

Terrifying Moment Man Finds King Cobra Under Car Bonnet / Dog Saves Family From Cobra In Bayelsa ( Pics) / See A Python And King Cobra Filmed Fighting On Busy Street(images) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The King Cobra Vs Python by TheHeGoat: 10:03am On Sep 08, 2015
These are the two kinds of snakes I admire so much because of their size, beauty, grace and strength. First of all, let me start with the King Cobra. Although, it's called "cobra", this snake doesn't actually belong to true cobra family known as Naja Genus. But rather, it's on its own genus - and considered a king to the truer cobras. It is the world's longest poisonous snake ever, can reach up to 18 - 20 ft. Like other snakes, it avoids confrontation with humans. In fact, it allows people to carry and play with it; (surely, u've seen that on Tv a lot) but would definitely strike if provoked. The venom it produces can kill even large animals like elephants within 24 hours. With humans, it might be just a matter of 30 minutes to one hr. So beware of the king. wink
It preys largely on other big snakes like mambas, rattle snakes and smaller pythons, and on rodents too. The King Cobra is one of the largest snakes in the high forests of India and most people there adore it. You dare not kill in some villages or you would be charged for murder and properly prosecuted.

The second is the python. It is a non-venomous large snake found almost in every part of the world. Pythons come in different sizes, colour and body patterns. So I pity those people boasting they kill pythons and posting pictures on Nairaland front page. If you meet a Burmese or tiger python one on one, nobody would tell you to leave your bush home and relocate to the city.
The python kills its prey by constriction. It's true they strike their prey first, but that's just to weaken it. Actual death comes from suffocation. They swallow their preys whole and spend weeks lazying about until full digestion. Even at that, a python can feed just 3 times a year, depending on the size of food it swallowed. They avoid contacts with humans like other snakes but pregnant females can be aggressive at times though.
In comparison, the python is larger than the King Cobra while the latter is longer.

[img]http://www.nps.gov/ever/learn/news/images/KLwoodrat_python_5626.jpg[/img]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The King Cobra Vs Python by osamaBUSH(m): 10:04am On Sep 08, 2015
e
Re: The King Cobra Vs Python by ezeonline2(m): 10:06am On Sep 08, 2015
Non of the above lipsrsealed
Re: The King Cobra Vs Python by Mynd44: 10:22am On Sep 08, 2015
The second picture of the king Cobra is photoshopped.

The king cobra is also one of the few snakes that actually hunt for their prey instead of staging ambushes and is perhaps the only snake that eats other snakes.

1 Like

Re: The King Cobra Vs Python by TheHeGoat: 10:37am On Sep 08, 2015
Mynd44:
The second picture of the king Cobra is photoshopped.

The king cobra is also one of the few snakes that actually hunt for their prey instead of staging ambushes and is perhaps the only snake that eats other snakes.
What is photoshopped? That's a real picture, my friend! There are many of it on the Internet. This one here is just 15 ft long but see how amazing it looks here
Re: The King Cobra Vs Python by kinglekan: 10:39am On Sep 08, 2015

I have always admired the King Cobra. Its full of swag and very swift. Watched a documentary sometime ago where the King Cobra faced an alligator.

Its confidence is just a sight to behold. Plus the way it dodges every move made at it is just laudable. At some point it spat at its opponent and it was as though it had a bucket of water coming out of it's mouth.

Such an amazing creature.

The puff adder is another snake that is also a sight to behold. It has a sophisticated heat and vibration censor. It can detect it's prey miles away and uses stealth mode as its weapon.

@Op I always thought the green mamba was the most poisonous though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The King Cobra Vs Python by TheHeGoat: 11:13am On Sep 08, 2015
kinglekan:

I have always admired the King Cobra. Its full of swag and very swift. Watched a documentary sometime ago where the King Cobra faced an alligator.

Its confidence is just a sight to behold. Plus the way it dodges every move made at it is just laudable. At some point it spat at its opponent and it was as though it had a bucket of water coming out of it's mouth.

Such an amazing creature.

The puff adder is another snake that is also a sight to behold. It has a sophisticated heat and vibration censor. It can detect it's prey miles away and uses stealth mode as its weapon.

@Op I always thought the green mamba was the most poisonous though.

I used to think so too but for the benefit of doubt had to google it. Surprisingly, the green mamba didn't even make any top ten most venomous list. The Inland Taipan of Australia keeps coming first.

There are four methods in which the median lethal dose (LD50) test is measured :

Subcutaneous : Venom is injected into the fatty layer beneath the skin.
Intravenous : Venom is injected directly into a vein.
Intramuscular : Venom is injected into a muscle.
Intraperitoneal : Venom is injected into the abdominal cavity.

Snake Region subcutaneous injection LD50 0.1% bovine serum albumin in Saline subcutaneous injection LD50 Saline intravenous injection LD50
Inland taipan Australia 0.01 mg/kg 0.025 mg/kg N/A
Dubois' seasnake Coral Sea, Arafura Sea, Timor Sea and Indian Ocean N/A 0.044 mg/kg N/A
Eastern brown snake Australia, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia 0.041 mg/kg 0.053 mg/kg 0.01 mg/kg
Yellow bellied sea snake Tropical oceanic waters N/A 0.067 mg/kg N/A
Peron's sea snake Gulf of Siam, Strait of Taiwan, Coral sea islands, and other places N/A 0.079 mg/kg N/A
Coastal Taipan Australia 0.064 mg/kg 0.099 mg/kg 0.013 mg/kg
Many-banded krait Mainland China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Laos, Burma N/A 0.108 mg/kg 0.113 mg/kg
Black-banded sea krait eastern coast of the Malay Peninsula and Brunei, and in Halmahera, Indonesia.. N/A 0.111 mg/kg N/A
Black Tiger snake Australia 0.099 mg/kg 0.131 mg/kg N/A
Mainland Tiger snake Australia 0.118 mg/kg 0.118 mg/kg 0.014 mg/kg
Western Australian Tiger snake Australia 0.124 mg/kg 0.194 mg/kg N/A
Beaked sea snake Tropical Indo-Pacific 0.164 mg/kg 0.1125 mg/kg N/A
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dangerous_snakes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The King Cobra Vs Python by Khd95(m): 11:18am On Sep 08, 2015
Nice

Bt op help with other species biko,specially d black mamba embarassed
Re: The King Cobra Vs Python by okikiosibodu(m): 5:30am On Jul 16, 2016
Was wondering how Lalasticlala missed this thread. E suppose don reach permanent site (FP things)
Re: The King Cobra Vs Python by TheHeGoat: 11:54am On Aug 02, 2016
okikiosibodu:
Was wondering how Lalasticlala missed this thread. E suppose don reach permanent site (FP things)
Because the python was not killed. Lalasticlala prefers them dead!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Meatball Delights Chicken Flavored.Treats For Dogs N700 / What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa / 20 Essential Facts Dog Lovers Must Always Remember (must Read)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.