Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,324 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter (2128 Views)

How To Choose The Right Laser Cutter Or Engraver For DIY Fanatic ? / Big Grass Cutter Killed By My Neighbour Now / Nigerian Man Builds Handmade Excavator (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by apexcut: 11:53am On Sep 09, 2015
Lets make stuff: Thread for handmade stuff using a laser cutter

Hello guys and ladies, this is a thread I will use to introduce a very great tool called a laser cutter and some of the things that can be done with it. I do hope a lot of people here will learn and understand what can be made and possibilities in this process.
I love creating and making stuff. It gives me lots of unquantifiable joy when I have an idea made or produced and the joy gets close to ecstasy when someone uses something I made to his or her delight even if I didn’t get paid for it.
In a layman’s term a laser cutter or laser engraver can be imagined as a needle like tool that can cut through a lot of materials while being directed by a computer.
More detail is that a laser cutter or laser engraver is a tool based on a CNC (computer Numerical Control) which uses a CO2 laser tube or a diode laser as its cutting head tool. It is known for repeat-ability and near precise operations. In order words this tool can help you make a lot of parts that are exactly identical and it can make it several multiple times with very little error if there is any.
Laser cutter or engraver works primarily on planner objects or materials (ie materials that are flat). These materials have to be fairly non combustible while the laser beam cuts through it. Examples are acrylic sheets ( locally called plastic sheets), wood, leather, paper, anodized aluminum, glass, granite, ceramics. It is not suitable for materials like PVC because they burst into flames when laser beams get in contact with them.
I laser cutter is like most other tools that we use. To make wonderful stuff with it, it needs to be studied, understood and mastered. When mastered various objects with varying complexities can be made with it. The laser cutter can operate in two primary modes, as a cutter whereby it cuts through the material, or as an engraver, whereby it engraves the design or picture fed into it using a raster system.
This tool is applied in production of prototypes, and designs for various industries, medical, engineering arts, crafts and for hobbyists. Its cost can range from $1000 to thousands of dollars depending on where you pitch your tent.

Below are some pictures of items I made with a laser cutter. I will update and add more pictures of stuff I have made and those I will make while the thread grows. Note that the pictures are only those that the clients allow for public display.
The pictures:

Organiser for calender and monthly goals, engraved pendant,

In a few hours I will be showing how I designed and made a simple desk business card holder for a friend using a 3.2mm thick plywood material and the laser cutter. After that I will show how some other stuff can be made using a laser cutter and answer your questions.
Then I will try to give out some items made with a laser cutter to those following this thread. So if you like what you see stick around you may have one or two mailed to you.
I promise to answer your questions the best I can on this thread. Those wishing to contact me strictly for business may use my BB Pin: 2AC60DA8 or inbox me using twitter handle @apexcut or nairaland inbox. If you have a question about the process or clarification on how stuff is done, ask on this forum so that everyone will benefit and so I don’t burn out answering same questions individually.

1 Like

Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by apexcut: 12:06pm On Sep 09, 2015
a picture engraved on MDF wood

Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by apexcut: 12:11pm On Sep 09, 2015
Pen and complementary card holder made from clear acrylic.

Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by apexcut: 12:14pm On Sep 09, 2015
A simple card holder made from plywood. I will be updating later today on how this was designed and the process for getting it done.

1 Share

Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by Dekatron(m): 5:59pm On Sep 09, 2015
Wow

lets know how you built it first before telling us what u made with it
Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by apexcut: 8:09pm On Sep 09, 2015
Designing the plywood card holder.

I use primarily two softwares for my designs, namely Sketchup and Inkscape. Use of each is dependent on what I want to make. I also use Gimp for editing pictures before engraving.
The card holder was modeled as a box in inkscape with tabs to allow for a press fit finish. This way I may choose to glue the parts together or leave them as it is since friction between the parts keep them together.

You need to read more details about the process with pictures at http://www.apexcut.com/design-and-fabrication-of-a-simple-pen-holder-using-inkscape-and-laser-cnc/
After determining the dimensions of the box, I set it in inkscape to generate the tabbed parts. Then I modify the parts, welding some nodes together and then leveling the top of the box using incscape path->difference menu option.

Now the parts are set, and I need the logo engraved on the front of the box.
First the logo is loaded in gimp. You may use coreldraw or photoshop for this part too. I choose to use gimp because its free and great!!!
Set the color to grayscale 8bit and save the result. The logo which looked like picture 1 now looks like picture 2.
This is then sent to the laser cutter software which then engraves the part.
The pieces are then assembled to the resulting image 3.

Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by shupsyBaba(m): 11:24pm On Sep 09, 2015
Hello Apexcut,

Posted pictures look nice.
Where is your office address as I
would like to laser print / cut a design done
in Inkscape.

Thanks
Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by apexcut: 12:01am On Sep 10, 2015
shupsyBaba:
Hello Apexcut,

Posted pictures look nice.
Where is your office address as I
would like to laser print / cut a design done
in Inkscape.

Thanks

office is in enugu. you can send me the file via BlackBerry my pin is up there or you can upload it through our website www.apexcut.com. go to services - request a quote.

will send it to you where ever you are.

thanks
Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 10, 2015
hmmm. nice
Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 10, 2015
Following.
Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by apexcut: 9:15pm On Sep 10, 2015
Pic 1 a personal brooch Laser cut and engraved from plywood, inspired by lion head.
Pic 2 my brooch on my senator clocth.
Pic 3 a brooch for a client's wedding in France.

Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by apexcut: 8:20am On Sep 12, 2015
Laser cut keychain do you like it??

Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by Dekatron(m): 2:57pm On Sep 12, 2015
This is great.

Perhaps you could help cut plastic shapes?

I may need them for electronic projects later this year. E.g lets say :- A smartphone case of my design.

If yes, please lemme know the total price to get it. I am at Ibadan/Akure(FUTA)
Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by netx(m): 2:19pm On Mar 01, 2016
apexcut:
Lets make stuff: Thread for handmade stuff using a laser cutter

Hello guys and ladies, this is a thread I will use to introduce a very great tool called a laser cutter and some of the things that can be done with it. I do hope a lot of people here will learn and understand what can be made and possibilities in this process.
I love creating and making stuff. It gives me lots of unquantifiable joy when I have an idea made or produced and the joy gets close to ecstasy when someone uses something I made to his or her delight even if I didn’t get paid for it.
In a layman’s term a laser cutter or laser engraver can be imagined as a needle like tool that can cut through a lot of materials while being directed by a computer.
More detail is that a laser cutter or laser engraver is a tool based on a CNC (computer Numerical Control) which uses a CO2 laser tube or a diode laser as its cutting head tool. It is known for repeat-ability and near precise operations. In order words this tool can help you make a lot of parts that are exactly identical and it can make it several multiple times with very little error if there is any.
Laser cutter or engraver works primarily on planner objects or materials (ie materials that are flat). These materials have to be fairly non combustible while the laser beam cuts through it. Examples are acrylic sheets ( locally called plastic sheets), wood, leather, paper, anodized aluminum, glass, granite, ceramics. It is not suitable for materials like PVC because they burst into flames when laser beams get in contact with them.
I laser cutter is like most other tools that we use. To make wonderful stuff with it, it needs to be studied, understood and mastered. When mastered various objects with varying complexities can be made with it. The laser cutter can operate in two primary modes, as a cutter whereby it cuts through the material, or as an engraver, whereby it engraves the design or picture fed into it using a raster system.
This tool is applied in production of prototypes, and designs for various industries, medical, engineering arts, crafts and for hobbyists. Its cost can range from $1000 to thousands of dollars depending on where you pitch your tent.

Below are some pictures of items I made with a laser cutter. I will update and add more pictures of stuff I have made and those I will make while the thread grows. Note that the pictures are only those that the clients allow for public display.
The pictures:

Organiser for calender and monthly goals, engraved pendant,

In a few hours I will be showing how I designed and made a simple desk business card holder for a friend using a 3.2mm thick plywood material and the laser cutter. After that I will show how some other stuff can be made using a laser cutter and answer your questions.
Then I will try to give out some items made with a laser cutter to those following this thread. So if you like what you see stick around you may have one or two mailed to you.
I promise to answer your questions the best I can on this thread. Those wishing to contact me strictly for business may use my BB Pin: 2AC60DA8 or inbox me using twitter handle @apexcut or nairaland inbox. If you have a question about the process or clarification on how stuff is done, ask on this forum so that everyone will benefit and so I don’t burn out answering same questions individually.

Check out megastoreinc.com. A Nigeria brand aimed at promoting Nigerians and all kinds of handmade goods whereby Artisans get desired exposure
Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by netx(m): 2:20pm On Mar 01, 2016
apexcut:
Pic 1 a personal brooch Laser cut and engraved from plywood, inspired by lion head.
Pic 2 my brooch on my senator clocth.
Pic 3 a brooch for a client's wedding in France.

Check out megastoreinc.com. A Nigeria brand aimed at promoting Nigerians and all kinds of handmade goods whereby Artisans get desired exposure
Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by pacino26(m): 8:40am On Mar 08, 2016
Can it cut stainless steel without getting to apply antox from steel burns? 2-3mm thickness
Re: Lets Make Stuff: Thread For Handmade Stuff Using A Laser Cutter by iHart(m): 12:29am On Mar 09, 2016
Can you engrave on metals? I have a job you can do for me...

(1) (Reply)

Afro Romance Interracial Dating Site Login Www.afro Romance.com / Blackberry 87072g For Sale 10,000 / REVIEW www.allsoftware.com.ng - A Site For Downloading Softwares +key for free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.