Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,632 members, 7,955,312 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:17 PM

Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job (18913 Views)

7 Jobs You Can Do Without A University Degree / Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! / When Your Degree No Longer Guarantees Success! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by sexaddict08(m): 2:21pm On Sep 10, 2015
certificate overrated.

2 Likes

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 2:22pm On Sep 10, 2015
Education is not meant for everyone likewise everyone can't be enterpreneurs. Just stick to what you feel is best for you and stop regretting when you found yourself on the wrong lane.

There is no substitution for education except you keep equating it with getting a job !

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 10, 2015
engrkenny:

Thank you bros, I actually read through that your post like a dozen times yesterday.

Thanks bro. I'm also doing same here.
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by eliteperfume(m): 2:24pm On Sep 10, 2015
Make sense...

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by gbengalite(m): 2:26pm On Sep 10, 2015
frankwells:
k
meshacha1:
K
Aitee1:
Okay

I don't like seeing comments like these; or is it just me? No one is compelled to comment na
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by abbey621(m): 2:27pm On Sep 10, 2015
Now now calm down folks! Before everyone jumps on the entrepreneurial train please keep in mind that over 60% of all start ups fail, the remaining 40% don't start making profit till after the second or third year. With this in mind, let's remember that the most crucial part of making it on your own is to have access to funds. Questions like how much can I put into the business? How do I get sponsors or loan? How do I market the product or service? It's better to plan very well than to start something and fold up halfway through the process! Quitting a job when you have no savings would not only be depressing but could have life-long consequences.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 2:30pm On Sep 10, 2015
grin grin grin. OP, good you searched your innerself. The truth of it all is no one wishes to be an employee. If you perhaps have landed your dream job, you won't have put this up now. I think this is just a self consolation. It takes more stress, intelligence, skills to run a business than being an employee. Kilamanjaro didn't start making 900k in a day. Don't get me wrong, am not advicing against what you have put upthere . Have you bothered to ask yourself how many business started when kilamanjaro or genesis started. How many are still standing. How many business started lastyear, how many are still standing. A good command of english, numerical analysis it's not just all it takes to be an entrepreneur. If perhaps I ventured into a business as I graduated, I am not too sure it would still be standing. Overtime working, I have seen that running a successful business entails more than you have just put upthere. Have you thought about finance ? Do you think kilamanjaro don't have loans to pay? grin grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by free37: 2:34pm On Sep 10, 2015
Nice.
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by bammike21: 2:34pm On Sep 10, 2015
Meanwhile ROCK this Adidas footwear while looking for job,it gives you ease at treking. Add 33083427 on bbm to purchase

1 Like

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Paschal001: 2:35pm On Sep 10, 2015
Entrepreneurs everywhere.. .. but we're is d progress

1 Like

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Haywhymido(m): 2:35pm On Sep 10, 2015
May God bring our efforts to fruition

2 Likes

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by shizzy7(f): 2:36pm On Sep 10, 2015
engrkenny:
I have been shying away from posting a reply on here since the topic surfaced earlier today, having somewhat found myself at this same crossroad since passing out of nysc two months ago, I didn't feel worthy to claim to have answers to the concerns raised by those two brothers. Albeit, mine tends to be a matter of ambivalence at the moment, wouldn't want to talk about myself here tho.

My two pence... True life story...

Last two days, I found myself inside a klimanjaro fast food, after a hot and usually exhaustive aptitude test somewhere in the southern part of the country, trying to cool off. Somewhere on the south wall of the restaurant had a board hanging, with a caption "OUR STORY" a short write up about how the klimanjaro most of us used to impress babes those days back in school was a brainchild of a few young Nigerians and bla bla, I bent down and asked myself, so why spend close to 5k on transport and almost sustained a hip dislocation on terrible roads just to sit for another frustration in the guise of a recruitment test? Coincidentally just this same week a cousin of mine quit her IT job at a local fast food place, her reason....stress, guess what, she works in the account section, on probing further she revealed this people make a subtle 900k a day, and it's just one of their many outlets, I smiled and told her she wouldn't understand, she's still in school and would definitely get cash for all her needs including hairdo by September.

Summary of my long story.......I have decided, no more job tests, no more unsolicited cv submissions, and don't mistake me, I don't despise salary jobs, I'll gladly accept to grow working for someone else, but am no longer going to beg for it. I join my voice to that of many young and knowledgeable young people out there to ask......hw can with all my numeracy, all my computer skills, all my analytical skills, good command of English, I am to be put through scorn in the name of recruitment and I have to be grateful if I get one at last?

I have decided to explore my inner self, does it mean with all I know I can't solve any of the problems I join every other person to complain about everyday? There must be something I can do to make some cash and invest same into acquiring some real hands on technical skills, which has always been my passion, while relying totally on God, the giver of all things.

Any like minded youngsters should start developing same mentality too, no matter how difficult that seems. God bless us all.
Aaawww one of the reasons why I like NL,,Yes I am already thinking of mine with passion, drive and determination the only problem is capital which is why I'm still considering working for a company for like 2/3yrs after uni and at the same time starting a small one but my main long time vision is owning a Conglomerate....

Its about time we stop having the mentality of searching for a job after school(that's even my parents thought) as the other OP said "THE WORLD DOES NOT OWE US A JOB" BUT creating jobs after school is my own goal...
God Bless You too and see us through whatever plans we have for ourselves...

1 Like

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by GboyegaD(m): 2:40pm On Sep 10, 2015
The business environment in Nigeria doesn't favor new entrepreneurs. There's no good legislation as such, the existing competitors do everything to chase out the incoming ones.
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 10, 2015
haha, the era of self-reliance and actualization is here but the policy to make it stay with us is not available.
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Okobaba1(m): 2:41pm On Sep 10, 2015
If I call GEJ clueless pple will start abusing their head! It was GEJ dat encouraged d idea of corpers being posted to secondary school and dis led to a placing a limitation on d aspiration of corpers.

2 Likes

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by SylarsMcQuins: 2:42pm On Sep 10, 2015
I have finally decided to do same, I already have a business idea and by God's grace I'm gonna do sumtyn to make sure it becomes a success.

I'm not a dull person,I believe I can do it and I will.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 10, 2015
baba11:
WEll , that is just the reality on ground.Hardly will you see entry level eearning #350k upward except he's working in an oil and gas company..

#so bad
how many business yield a profit of 350k in a month and yes, how much is the capital worth?

1 Like

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by j4sure(m): 2:46pm On Sep 10, 2015
Skills is d ultimate now not ur bsc,beng,hndor pgde.

1 Like

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by 2sex(m): 2:46pm On Sep 10, 2015
engrkenny:
I have been shying away from posting a reply on here since the topic surfaced earlier today, having somewhat found myself at this same crossroad since passing out of nysc two months ago, I didn't feel worthy to claim to have answers to the concerns raised by those two brothers. Albeit, mine tends to be a matter of ambivalence at the moment, wouldn't want to talk about myself here tho.

Last two days, I found myself inside a klimanjaro fast food, after a hot and usually exhaustive aptitude test somewhere in the southern part of the country, trying to cool off. Somewhere on the south wall of the restaurant had a board hanging, with a caption "OUR STORY" a short write up about how the klimanjaro most of us used to impress babes those days back in school was a brainchild of a few young Nigerians and bla bla, I bent down and asked myself, so why spend close to 5k on transport and almost sustained a hip dislocation on terrible roads just to sit for another frustration in the guise of a recruitment test? Coincidentally just this same week a cousin of mine quit her IT job at a local fast food place, her reason....stress, guess what, she works in the account section, on probing further she revealed this people make a subtle 900k a day, and it's just one of their many outlets, I smiled and told her she wouldn't understand, she's still in school and would definitely get cash for all her needs including hairdo by September.

Summary of my long story.......I have decided, no more job tests, no more unsolicited cv submissions, and don't mistake me, I don't despise salary jobs, I'll gladly accept to grow working for someone else, but am no longer going to beg for it. I join my voice to that of many young and knowledgeable young people out there to ask......hw can with all my numeracy, all my computer skills, all my analytical skills, good command of English, I am to be put through scorn in the name of recruitment and I have to be grateful if I get one at last?

I have decided to explore my inner self, does it mean with all I know I can't solve any of the problems I join every other person to complain about everyday? There must be something I can do to make some cash and invest same into acquiring some real hands on technical skills, which has always been my passion, while relying totally on God, the giver of all things.

Any like minded youngsters should start developing same mentality too, no matter how difficult that seems. God bless us all.
get these book: Rich Dad Poor Dad and Think and Grow Rich!
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by blacknumbia123(m): 2:49pm On Sep 10, 2015
engrkenny:

... I buy ur idea bro
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by luorquay: 2:50pm On Sep 10, 2015
jimfend:
I don't get it.
Read the thread again
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by yusufobinna1(m): 2:59pm On Sep 10, 2015
AgapeCharis:
Dang! Right on spot. I felt like I was reading from someone that had access to see my thoughts.

I once heard a friend talking with someone one day when she made mention of a restaurant she used to work with around Ikeja. She was working with the chocolate and ice cream section and she said they (chocolate and ice cream section) make up to 5 million naira daily. Of course, that's just one of the many outlets they have in Lagos.

Someone once said; work hard at your job and you'll earn a living. Work hard on yourself and earn yourself a fortune.

I can't get paid just 12 times in 365 days! Mba
I love this and I mean it, I work presently as a contract staff in a bank but I guess this is d right time to opt out,I have an idea that can fetch me far more than am receiving now and I think I ll have to give myself quick notice on the job.
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by nwadiuko1(m): 3:00pm On Sep 10, 2015
Op you just sounded like my friend

2 Likes

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 3:00pm On Sep 10, 2015
"Entry level" 350k?? Fear God ma guy. Even in the so called advanced country the highest you can get is 5000USD

1 Like

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 3:00pm On Sep 10, 2015
ok....
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by GreatEngineer(m): 3:01pm On Sep 10, 2015
You are about to take the best decision of your life that you will always live to remember it.

Though it might not be very easy, just have it at the back of your mind that it can never be easy, ....but if it happen to become easy then you will take it so.

Money will always be the constraint, but think about this " If you plan to wait for money to start something, then you might have just planned to wait for money for the rest of your life" just start with the little you have.
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 10, 2015
Self discovery and MONEY.
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 10, 2015
Easier said than done.

1 Like

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by dumisami: 3:07pm On Sep 10, 2015
Oh, great story.

Is nice to have great positive mind. With positive thinking we can move the mountains. I saw yesterday a movie on National Geographic with the effects of positive thinking to our body with a girl playinfg basketball that she can't score a point, but with the support of the team she start having a good performance. So think positive, work hard and be you!
Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 10, 2015
majekdom2:
grin grin grin. OP, good you searched your innerself. The truth of it all is no one wishes to be an employee. If you perhaps have landed your dream job, you won't have put this up now. I think this is just a self consolation. It takes more stress, intelligence, skills to run a business than being an employee. Kilamanjaro didn't start making 900k in a day. Don't get me wrong, am not advicing against what you have put upthere . Have you bothered to ask yourself how many business started when kilamanjaro or genesis started. How many are still standing. How many business started lastyear, how many are still standing. A good command of english, numerical analysis it's not just all it takes to be an entrepreneur. If perhaps I ventured into a business as I graduated, I am not too sure it would still be standing. Overtime working, I have seen that running a successful business entails more than you have just put upthere. Have you thought about finance ? Do you think kilamanjaro don't have loans to pay? grin grin

I think I perfectly understand your viewpoint, but I must say you were not patient enough to read down the post, you ended up mixing up what I wrote. Am not an entrepreneurship activist, like you made it appear, neither am I oblivious of all the hurdles against surviving in the business world.
My post only came along after reflecting on a previous week's events, having read through the other post by dearpreye. If you must know, my journey into entrepreneurship didn't start today, long story, but that's not what I wish to discuss here anyway.
Post is meant to be a support to the call for change in mentality which the other post advocated for.
Not like I didn't learn from the points you raised, your points are well taken.

Edited

As for my dream job, you don't wanna hear it. The loftiness would make you laugh.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job by patfem(m): 3:12pm On Sep 10, 2015
Beta

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 / 15 Signs You Have A Bad Boss / Poorly Describe What You Do For A Living

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.