Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,078 members, 7,835,636 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? (2073 Views)

Nokia Announces N97 Touchscreen Phone! / Hack Wifi On Nokia N95 / Nokia N95 8gb(fake)- Masterpiece Of Deception! **images resized (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by thegame(m): 2:17am On Apr 07, 2009
With the so much hype surrounding the much expected N97 by most naija dudes and babes including me.
I read a post criticizing nokia that its gonna redesign a phone thats 2 years old with just the addition of a touchscreen n a keyboard cos basically, most other features are the same just like all n series have the same basics.
the similarity btw n95 and n97 seems more identical and would it be a good choice if this is actually true.
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by dragnet: 6:25am On Apr 07, 2009
I would be glad that at least my N82 wuld still run things without a worthy rival grin & I wuldnt hav a headache thinking abt what special features d N97 got tongue grin
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by just2nice(m): 8:37am On Apr 07, 2009
I compared the N97 and my N95 and I found out that apart from the Qwerty keyboard, Accelerometer and maybe the OS upgrade,there isn't much difference btw the two.The same 5 megapixels,8mb memory,WLAN and the usual Office features can be found in the two.
As for me,I aint falling for Nokia's new releases just yet;I am still 'feeling' my N95.Maybe when Nokia starts releasing phones on the Maemo platform,I will have a change of mind. cheesy
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by otikpoko(m): 8:45am On Apr 07, 2009
Dragnet,you are using a nokia n82?lol grin.I also use a nokia n82 grin
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by dragnet: 8:56am On Apr 07, 2009
otikpoko, e remain small wink
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by texazzpete(m): 10:38am On Apr 07, 2009
Nokia N96 for sale. Any takers? grin
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by thegame(m): 12:14pm On Apr 07, 2009
But come to think of it, nokia will always use symbian os on all their phones for now. I dnt think they will change that for the next 10 years. They own majority of symbian shares.
Thats the only thing that wont make me go rush the n97. Cos we both use symbiam 9.
But then also, which phone os apart from symbian is better and have different softwares and themes available for download?? And pls, dont mention dat apple mac os on iphone.
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by texazzpete(m): 3:53pm On Apr 07, 2009
thegame:

But then also, which phone os apart from symbian is better and have different softwares and themes available for download?? And pls, dont mention dat apple mac os on iphone.

How little you know. There are tens of thousands of apps and games on the iPhone, many of them offering a polished experience impossible to find on your beloved Symbian OS.
As for themes, there are thousands of iPhone themes out there to freely download.
Now i know that behind your criticism there isn't much substance. As far as you're concerned, as long as something doesn't exist in *.sis format on dotsis.com and can be synched through Nokia PC suite, it isn't a smartphone software.
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by thegame(m): 4:24pm On Apr 07, 2009
If you dont know,you ask.thats one for ur a s s. I dont know and im not ashamed to ask tho u think i dnt know.
But dude, still, Did u skip the part where i wrote dont mention mac os on iphoneor u dey use glasses Cos i m not condidering an iphone yet. Exinferis,an iphone fan already has some unimpressive screenshots of some apps and themes.
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by texazzpete(m): 5:09pm On Apr 07, 2009
thegame:

If you dont know,you ask.thats one for ur a s s. I dont know and im not ashamed to ask tho u think i dnt know.
But dude, still, Did u skip the part where i wrote dont mention mac os on iphoneor u dey use glasses Cos i m not condidering an iphone yet. Exinferis,an iphone fan already has some unimpressive screenshots of some apps and themes.

A predictably childish response. By all means stick to whatever floats your boat. grin
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by thegame(m): 10:38pm On Apr 07, 2009
Well, keep on acting like u grown.
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by samuelk(m): 5:23am On Apr 08, 2009
Texazzpete!!!
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Apr 08, 2009
This is what i've missed phone bashing.any way Symbian will come out with another operating system Symbian ^3.i've been following it and i think it's nice especially the Qt platform i installed it and it had that iphone cover flow effect.but in terms of software Apple still has the most apps within a short period.check the Appstore.
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by hayprof(m): 4:53pm On Apr 08, 2009
Well, mayb major Reason I skipped the Nokia 5800XM for the Nokia N97 (duh! wen the price is rite) . .say in a Years time' grin

cool
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by ExInferis(m): 6:03pm On Apr 08, 2009
thegame:

But dude, still,  Did u skip the part where i wrote dont mention mac os on iphoneor u dey use glasses Cos i m not condidering an iphone yet. Exinferis,an iphone fan already has some unimpressive screenshots of some apps and themes.

if you feel the need to rattle on like a goddamn 3-nippled smeghead kindly do so without dragging my name into your convoluted opinions which are more riddled with holes than stale Gruyere cheese.

if you dont know how software works, what its underpinnings are, and the principles behind it all you can never be in a credible position to compare different Operating Systems because not only will you NOT know the strengths and weakness of each, you definitely wont know what it all means. if i say Symbian has poor memory management or a lousy garbage destructor, would you know what that means? or if i say Darwin beats EPOC's core kernel, or Cocoa beats carbide hands down, will that put you more in the picture, or serve to further compound your befuddlement?

sure Symbian has thousands of apps, but since when is QUANTITY interchangeable with QUALITY? software on symbian is crippled baby software, no thanks to the SDK among other debilitating factors.

no one says you should love an iphone, buy an iphone, or use an iphone. if Symbian bakes your bread then by all means stick with it, but dont start off pouting crap about stuff you know next to nothing about. poeple like PC Guru, DJCN, OYB, NaijaFan, Flyuche etc are in better position to argue on all levels because they know stuff, and that is why we take our time to engage them.

you keep forgetting texazzpete and I own countless devices including a clutch of Symbian phones and we still use them so that puts us more in the picture.

No one says iphone is the BEST PHONE out there; its just a great device that satisfies 90% of its users who 'get it', and puzzles the endless anoraks who cant shuffle off their caveman genes.

if anything, the quality of the games and apps in the pix you mentioned are enough to convince anyone that iphone apps are in a class higher than Symbian apps. just try Skype on iphone and see.

we dont pretend iphone isnt flawed on several levels, it is. but the missing features are not really a handicap in the OS; omitting them was a conscious decision by Apple, and since people griped enough, Apple is now implementing almost everything missing in the iphone via software 3.0.

but those things that the iphone does, it does them wonderfully. be it games, music, videos, photos, email, contacts management, SMS, WiFi, internet etc. for getting these right and making them a pleasure to use, im okay with the omissions.

and FYI, the closest competitor to iphone is no Symbian product; its the Palm Pre, the brainchild of a former Apple employee!

so say Symbian is a great system. Hell, you can even say Nokia makes good, featured, reliable phones. but never say symbian trumps iphone and Apple makes crap.

because if you do say so, you only expose your ignorance and we have no choice but to mock you.
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by thegame(m): 7:02pm On Apr 08, 2009
Guy, why are u taking it personal ?
Why my dislike for apple's monopoly dey pain u like this
U mean u had the time to write all this stuff to diss and convince me.u are jobless. Is it bad for me to say i rily dont fancy most apple stuffs?? Guy, give urself brain o pls.
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Apr 08, 2009
Mehn the N97 is trash wuz checkin fully on it.only new stuffs are bigger screen,new version of widget runtime and kinetic browser whatever the hell it means.this phone has nothing to offer except form factor,@thegame am nokia fan boy but imho symbian is the worst mobile platform ever compared to maemo,linux,macosx and andriod especially with the phone's mobile browser.it's saving grace is it's simplicity.like ex infernis said the main issue with it is memory management,symbian never recovers leaked memories unless rebooted
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by ExInferis(m): 7:39pm On Apr 08, 2009
@TheGame

im not taking anything personal, nor am i hating because you diss apple. if you want, i can be the first to tell you where all Apple weaknesses and misses lie. im just galled people like you forget other people come looking for information, and give them crap, bias or misinformed information at best thereby spreading FUD simply because you just dont know or cant budge from your status quo.

put things into perspective, ok? im not saying Nokia makes utter rubbish; im simply saying next to iphone symbian looks and feels dated. it doesnt even have to be iphone: symbian next to Android, WinMo 6, Maemo etc looks old and clunky.

on user experience, can you honestly compare the 5800 to the iphone (both of which i own)?

sure i should be doing other things besides typing all this, but i consider it service to humanity putting trolls in their place.

thegame:

Why my dislike for apple's monopoly dey pain u like this

Apple's monopoly?!  EPIC FAIL.

Apple is not a monopoly in anyway, shape or form.

@pcguru

please school the ogre above. he is lost and helpless.
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by thegame(m): 1:06am On Apr 10, 2009
You just called a human an ogre and u said u aint dissin? i forgive u, it's lyk d best way for u to explain urself is by insultin. U r one of those that cant argue without shouting, that cant pass an idea over an argument without insulting or abusing. I thot u actually came to ur senses when i was reading ur reply above then suddenly, the sickness and tragedy struck you again.its a pity broda dat with all ur knowledge abt apple n softwares, something is missing, common sense and the ability to stand others pple's opinion(s).
I dont work for nokia and i am infact tired of symbian on all nokias except for series modification.but cant i just pour out my mindthough i accepted d fact im tired of nokia but still,i just said i may go wt n97 nt iphone and u thnk im givin out false info?
Squash d beef.iight?
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by DualCore1: 1:24am On Apr 10, 2009
The typical Ex, i knew this dude hadn't changed lol.
No fighting in this place y'all, 'cept its an arranged match (tell admin i said tht latter part and see wht i'mma smack in ur face tongue )
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by ExInferis(m): 10:31am On Apr 10, 2009
and you dont think this
thegame:

Guy, u are jobless.   .     .give urself brain o pls.
should merit a counterstrike?

in any case calling people names in a forum isnt ground for indignation, its the very essence of flame wars. in any forum anywhere, once you have split camps FOR/AGAINST something, you definitely will see insults hurled about. its meaningless, makes it much fun.

but nairalanders are different. you dont know me, i dont know you, chances are we'll never meet. so why bristle when i insult your online self? my name is not Ex Inferis, all i do is NOT phones, so the ME you see here hanging in the phone section is not the whole ME. if you insult Ex Inferis, you're just insulting an online formless entity. the real ME wont really prickle and huff and puff.

still, Symbian sucks!!

but truthfully, Smasung OMNIA HD blew me away. that is a phone that roundly beats the iphone EXCEPT for lack of multitouch and its laggy Touch UI. and its symbian based!

@Dual Core

where were you all this time? missed your wisecracks.
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by thegame(m): 12:52pm On Apr 10, 2009
Never say never bro. U never know. There is a slim chance we might meet at a mobile phone exhibition somewhere maybe soon or in the future. cheesy

Wel, abt samsung omnia hd, u think thslat phone's rily got it? Is the touch beta than the 1st omnia.dat was actually my alternative bt since it's symbian, i thot they are all d same so i didnt wanna use a symbian on another phone. Looks to me like puttin a range interior n engine in a prado. cheesy cheesy

anyway,no more insults o. Explain without insults. Lmao
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by ExInferis(m): 1:25pm On Apr 10, 2009
i just saw a video displaying the AMOLED screen and the HD video playback (720p) and im totally blown away. has a cool 3D homescreen except the transition is a bit sluggish and the touchscreen isnt as responsive as the iphone. the guy doing the demo has to tap some icons twice to get them to respond.

it has to be seen to believed. no phone right now can touch this. and the sound is like 5.1 surround, crystal clear, nothing heard before on a mobile device. it completely puts the N97 to shame and makes you wonder how samsung can take symbian and accomplish this while Nokia keeps churning out rubbish.

the appeal though is nothing to do with symbian; its the AMOLED display, the widgets and the video. for that screen, GPS, HD video, sound, im sold. i can confidently tell you based on what ive seen, the Omnia HD beats the pants off the iphone in multimedia and screen resolution. i was already considering the original Omnia but now im waiting.

impatiently.
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by texazzpete(m): 12:40am On Apr 11, 2009
Ex Inferis:

i just saw a video displaying the AMOLED screen and the HD video playback (720p) and im totally blown away. has a cool 3D homescreen except the transition is a bit sluggish and the touchscreen isnt as responsive as the iphone. the guy doing the demo has to tap some icons twice to get them to respond.

it has to be seen to believed. no phone right now can touch this. and the sound is like 5.1 surround, crystal clear, nothing heard before on a mobile device. it completely puts the N97 to shame and makes you wonder how samsung can take symbian and accomplish this while Nokia keeps churning out rubbish.

the appeal though is nothing to do with symbian; its the AMOLED display, the widgets and the video. for that screen, GPS, HD video, sound, im sold. i can confidently tell you based on what ive seen, the Omnia HD beats the pants off the iphone in multimedia and screen resolution. i was already considering the original Omnia but now im waiting.

impatiently.

I myself am waiting for the Palm Pre. Will also put some faith in the new iPhone hardware expected later this year. It's rumoured to come with an AMOLED screen of it's own, so we'll see.
Now, where's the link to that trailer? grin
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by oluwafemi113(m): 1:00pm On Apr 13, 2009
ok
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by ExInferis(m): 8:16pm On Apr 13, 2009
It's on YouTube, showcased from MWC 2009. if you can't find it there try www.phonedog.com. I used KeepVid.com to grab the video (along with that insane Transformers 2 ) trailer.

Texas-spit, you know I have every reason to be angry with you, right?
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by thegame(m): 9:15pm On Apr 17, 2009
Hey ex, u dnt dig transformers 2 or what?
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by knotty(m): 7:43am On Apr 18, 2009
when is thephone entering naija pls/
i want one of them N97
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by Alireta: 6:12am On Apr 19, 2009
Ex, you are correct about the Omnia HD being quite tempting in terms of multimedia features. Unfortunately, the original Omnia was plagued with a number of unforgivable issues, including:

- bad audio during video recording
- audio-video sync issues with recorded videos
- bad implementation of the touchscreen (it just didn't always respond to taps)

The thing about touchscreen phones is that if the touch aspect is badly implemented, the whole experience is ruined. The Omnia left a bad taste in our mouth. While excited about the stunning Omnia HD, we are a bit reluctant to embrace it till it is clear Samsung has sorted out the issues that plagued its older sibling.

As for the N97, its holding very little against the current crop of Nokia devices in its range. A member of our team who owns an E90, for example, says there's very little to entice him to get an N97.

And yes, Symbian OS in its current form is due for overhauling! And that opinion is from a team of mobile geeks who have a long history with Symbian devices.
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by thegame(m): 10:59am On Apr 19, 2009
Hmmmmmmm. Mobile geeks.
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by ExInferis(m): 12:31pm On Apr 19, 2009
thegame:

Hmmmmmmm. Mobile geeks.

not really. savvy consumers, more like.   wink

thegame:

Hey ex, u dnt dig transformers 2 or what?

when i say insane, i mean SICK. the trailer is mind-blowing. you may say its "still the same GM cars turning into giant mecha and slugging it out". the evil cynic in me agrees. but check it, there are more decepticons, everything onscreen gets mega destroyed in typical Michael bay style, and the Autobots get righteous punishment.

and who can deny that the arrival of the decepticons is cinema candy?

its a great trailer, cant wait for may.

but enough off-topic.

Alireta:

Ex, you are correct about the Omnia HD being quite tempting in terms of multimedia features. Unfortunately, the original Omnia was plagued with a number of unforgivable issues, including:

- bad audio during video recording
- audio-video sync issues with recorded videos
- bad implementation of the touchscreen (it just didn't always respond to taps)

The thing about touchscreen phones is that if the touch aspect is badly implemented, the whole experience is ruined. The Omnia left a bad taste in our mouth. While excited about the stunning Omnia HD, we are a bit reluctant to embrace it till it is clear Samsung has sorted out the issues that plagued its older sibling.

As for the N97, its holding very little against the current crop of Nokia devices in its range. A member of our team who owns an E90, for example, says there's very little to entice him to get an N97.

And yes, Symbian OS in its current form is due for overhauling! And that opinion is from a team of mobile geeks who have a long history with Symbian devices.

you are delightfully correct, but the Omnia has great GPS. that alone is worth a purchase.

and yes the N97 is sadly lacking in ways that can be termed inoovative or even clever. its just a cold fusion of N96 and 5800.

we want more. Nokia is looking like the RIM of old, when Blackberries have a frightening monotoniety in spite of the different brand names. now RIM is evolving into a hip player while Nokia is devolving into the Microsoft of the mobile world: inmovable, monolithic, resistant to risks.

jeez, even the new baby, Android, is going through a second iteration (Cupcake).

suspended animation is killing innovation. eventually everyone is going to get tired of S60 and the same way of doing things all over.

same sh1t, different box.

truth is, Symbian is becoming the next WinMo.
Re: N97: Another N95 With Touchscreen? by kaelo(m): 6:29pm On May 04, 2009
wow, ex-inferis, Tex, why are u guys wasting cyber tyime on this simpleton, ive rocked the mac osx, and i know better cos i was using the N95 before tex convinced me to make the switch, and even now im laying low wiv the Blackberry bold, i fully intend to hit the 3g as soon as its stops being a bother with cracks, so Game, or watever else u call u, say wateva u gotta say and leave, quit with the insults, its being concluded that ui know nothing, ur already an empty barrel, but at least thats better than being, well, il think of sumn, grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Of Tecno Phones That Can Use Bbm / Good News To All Infinix Zero (16GB Version) Owners / Nairaland Went Down For More Than 30 Minutes Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.