Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,724 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

Mercy Said No (a Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Mercy Said No (a Short Story) (1843 Views)

Showers Of Mercy - True Life Story / Mercy Said No! - A Christian Romance Story / Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mercy Said No (a Short Story) by FoxyFlow(m): 6:29pm On Sep 10, 2015
MERCY SAID NO

Before I start, I will like to say a big happy birthday to the baby in the house. Mercy Bako. Many more years to you dear.

Don't know what to write about, but I will try to come out with something. I know how much you love horror stories. Let's go with this folklore though. I hope you get scared enough. It was told to me by my mother. Forget me, she is the greatest story teller ever and with my dad? They are the indestructible duo.

Ojima lived by the seashore with her parents. Beautiful, pious, elegant and sweet Ojima. Rumour had it that she could charm spirits with her sweet smile and get away with any offense. She is constantly praised behind her back but in front of her, nobody said anything. Reason being she had acid for tongue and fire for eyes. She could make you hang yourself or better still, stop existing. She had once made an old woman run into the forest never to be seen again because she had been termed ugly. In the words of Ojima,

"Mama, I don't think you are fit to live amongst us humans. The only place you are good to be is the forest because that's where ancestors stay."

Being beautiful is one thing but being rude, is a no no. Ojima would wake up in the morning, look herself in the mirror and praise her beauty. She would walk around the compound facing the sea with her shoulders held high like the peacock. She would clean the compound while singing her praises, gracefully raising dusts.

Her mother had complained ceaselessly but her father gave her the nudge. He bought the most costly trinkets for her. Being a successful fisherman with labourers under his command, he would sail as far as the north into Kebbi and return with beautiful ornaments for his only daughter. Beautifully dyed skins from the famous Kano pits marked everywhere in her room.

Soon Ojima came of age and suitors began to demand for her hand in marriage. From the prince of the town to the dirty, lowly pauper. Her reply was the same.

"I am fit only to be married to a god, your human forms disgusts me."

Her mother had tried all she could to talk her into marrying one of her suitors, even if not for love but for the fact that some had walked from the other part of the world to seek her hand.

With gentle shaking of her head and a sensuous baiting of her eyelids, she would tell the mother,

"Until a god comes, I refused to be entangled in the affairs of men."

"Ojima, gods are fearful beings, I don't think you can withstand their awesomeness."

Her mother would chastise her with love.

"Mama, if I can't, then my beauty will work the magic."

Would be Ojima's reply.

"Beauty is only skin deep my daughter. Ojugo that you chased into the forest never to be seen again was once this town's most priced belle."

"That was her time. She did not utilize it, if a god doesn't come for me, then I am afraid, I will have to go and seek one. Even if it means walking the clouds to see Amadioha himself."

Ojima was proud, unreasonable and stiff-necked.

Across the sea also lived a demon. Atatabula, a fearsome creature who walked on one goat hoof, one wooden leg, had the face of a lion and pig with his peenis going as much as twenty times around his waist. The flying birds brought the tale of the enchanting Ojima to him.

"Are you saying she wants a god?"

He had to be sure. The birds nodded in the affirmative.

"Then a god she will have."

Atatabula got ready for his journey. He started walking and asking for body parts from other animals. From the snake he got his eyes, the termite gave him his colour. The cat-fish gave him its smoothness and finally a human gave to him the necessary parts. At the end, he looked like an Arabian prince and didst dress as such. He crossed the sea with his magical ship, the servants accompanying him all figments from his wicked magic. Atatabula was really out to charm the beautiful and arrogant Ojima.

After days on the sea, Atatabula arrived and promptly Ojima agreed to follow him back across the sea to his land. A land where she would be his queen. The pleadings of her mother fell on deaf ears and the father was too mesmerized by the charm of the "prince" not to let his daughter go. Coupled with the many gifts of gold and various ornaments that he had received.

Thus Ojima followed her husband across the sea never to be seen or heard of again. Many birds who flew past the town later told tales of Ojima. She had been given the beauty of Atatabula and was made to serve him all her life.

The end.
Joey Success

I had to skip so many details seeing that I was covering grounds. The story is long and writing it might turn into a book. You all know these folklore, it was told when the moon was at its brightest one day. My mother surely is a great story teller.

Happy Birthday Mercy Bako (in case you don't know, Ojima means Mercy in my dialect)

1 Like

Re: Mercy Said No (a Short Story) by angieberry(f): 6:30pm On Sep 10, 2015
Nice one
Reminds me of a story I heard in my childhood days.
Re: Mercy Said No (a Short Story) by Idiataqueen(f): 6:36pm On Sep 10, 2015
Nyc story
Re: Mercy Said No (a Short Story) by FoxyFlow(m): 6:43pm On Sep 10, 2015
angieberry:
Nice one
Reminds me of a story I heard in my childhood days.

Thanks Berry... Mum told me this, had to make it short to save time and space.
Re: Mercy Said No (a Short Story) by NOBODYY: 7:03pm On Sep 10, 2015
I don read this story for Ali and simbi story book b4 tongue

1 Like

Re: Mercy Said No (a Short Story) by FoxyFlow(m): 7:06pm On Sep 10, 2015
Idiataqueen:
Nyc story

My Queen, long time... No mind me oo.. Still doing those things. I shall return to nairaland soon.
Re: Mercy Said No (a Short Story) by FoxyFlow(m): 7:07pm On Sep 10, 2015
NOBODYY:
I don read this story for Ali and simbi story book b4 tongue

Yes na, that's why I post am to bring back memories. But before I read the book na im my mama tell me.

1 Like

Re: Mercy Said No (a Short Story) by Idiataqueen(f): 7:10pm On Sep 10, 2015
FoxyFlow:

My Queen, long time... No mind me oo.. Still doing those things. I shall return to nairaland soon.
we are waiting o,still doing those things?well i dont expect u to have stop now yeye boy.
Re: Mercy Said No (a Short Story) by FoxyFlow(m): 7:13pm On Sep 10, 2015
Idiataqueen:
we are waiting o,still doing those things?well i dont expect u to have stop now yeye boy.

See your dirty mind. I mean that I am practically busy working on stuff that I hardly write these days. Working on one project sha, I pray it comes out a success.

You need to dey call me self if you even care. Yeye gal
Re: Mercy Said No (a Short Story) by Idiataqueen(f): 7:23pm On Sep 10, 2015
FoxyFlow:

See your dirty mind. I mean that I am practically busy working on stuff that I hardly write these days. Working on one project sha, I pray it comes out a success.

You need to dey call me self if you even care. Yeye gal
hahaha u are wrong actually am not thinking wat u thought i was thinking,may God grant u success,and if it is wat u thought am thinking u are busy with may God guide and protect u o.I do care,am going to save ur number.
Re: Mercy Said No (a Short Story) by Ali1king: 2:25pm On May 16, 2017
WHERE DID MERCY SAY NO?

(1) (Reply)

{Short Story}A Bathroom Encounter (18+) / How Can I Get James A. Michener's Novels In Nigeria? / NAME The Nairalanders Writers And Their Stories That Made U Read All Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.