Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,376 members, 7,815,799 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced. (988 Views)

Davido To Perform At Jay-z’s “made In America ‘’ Music Festival 2018 / Sarah Forbes Bonetta- The Yoruba Slave Who Became Queen Victoria’s Goddaughter / Popular Non Yoruba Indigenes Making Waves In The Yoruba Movie Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced. by fatdon2(m): 1:36pm On Sep 11, 2015
This is Oyotunji village in South
Carolina. The community was founded
by a black America named
Walter Eugene King who was born on
October 5, 1928 in Detroit, Michigan,
USA. Eugene went to the Cass Technical
High School and got fascinated by
the African culture. He also got
exposed to the Katherine Dunham
Dance Troupe at the age of 20 which
increased his love for the African culture, particularly that of the
Yorubas.
On August 26, 1959, Eugene became
the first African born in America to
become fully initiated into the Orisa-
Vodun African priesthood by African
Cubans in Matanzas, Cuba. This
marked the beginning of the spread of Yoruba religion and culture among
African Americans. With a few followers, and after
dissolution of the Order of Damballah
Hwedo, Eugene founded the Sango
Temple in New York and incorporated
the African Theological Arch Ministry
in 1960. The Sango Temple was relocated and renamed the Yoruba
Temple the same year. In the fall of 1970, Eugene founded
the Yoruba Village of Oyotunji in
Beaufort County South Carolina, and
began the careful reorganization of
the Orisa-Vodu Priesthood along
traditional Nigerian lines. He was initiated to the Ifa priesthood
by the Oluwa of Ijeun at Abeokuta,
Nigeria, in August of 1972. He was named king of Oyotunji
community in 1972 with the
designation, His Royal Highness Oba
(King) Ofuntola Oseijeman Adelabu
Adefunmi I, born Baba Adefunmi. He
later died and his son, Adefunmi Adejuyigbe took over as king.
www.inspiredreporters.com/photos-see-the-village-in-america-where-the-yoruba-culture-is-being-practiced/

Re: Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced. by fatdon2(m): 1:39pm On Sep 11, 2015
lalasticlala

Re: Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced. by Cutehector(m): 1:39pm On Sep 11, 2015
Kk
Re: Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced. by fatdon2(m): 1:40pm On Sep 11, 2015
more

Re: Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced. by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 11, 2015
King Is kiss
Re: Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced. by Mynd44: 1:52pm On Sep 11, 2015
I am not even going to talk.....
Re: Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced. by okotv(m): 1:57pm On Sep 11, 2015
Africa is beautiful.

Our culture, our pride.
Re: Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced. by Lattop(m): 2:04pm On Sep 11, 2015
Proudly Yoruba

(1) (Reply)

I’m Not A Mischievous Person…chinedu Ikedieze (photo) / China’s Kim Kardashian (K) Marries In A Lavish £20million Wedding Ceremony(photo / My Pain, My Joy As An Actor – Tony Umez

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.