Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,095 members, 7,825,456 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

Insurance For Video Camera - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Insurance For Video Camera (4973 Views)

Pls Help, What's The Best Software For Video Editing / :::::: Best Laptop For Video And Photo Editing ::::::: / Is A MAC Really Better Than A PC For Video Editing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Insurance For Video Camera by Lfunk: 11:33am On Apr 08, 2009
Hi Guys
I am thinking of buying a video camera for about 1 million Naira
Can anyone recommend any good insurance companies in Lagos that will insure it
Thanks
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by sojioguns(m): 10:39am On Apr 09, 2009
Any insurance company in Lagos would insure the camera but you have to ask about their depreciation value. I recommend GTA anyday. By the way, what camera is it?
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by Lfunk: 2:51pm On Apr 09, 2009
I am still looking for one to buy for about £5000
I am seriously looking at The Sony Ex1, Panasonic HMC151 and the Panasonic HVX200a
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by sojioguns(m): 2:56pm On Apr 09, 2009
Please tell me you are not considering the Panny HMC. AVCHD is not a 'beans' format at all.
Well, it all depends on what you want to use the cam to do (docu, features, tv commercials,)
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by Lfunk: 5:50pm On Apr 09, 2009
Sorry I do not understand what you mean by AVCHD is not a 'beans' format at all.
I have played around with raw AVCHD footage from the hmc151 on my pc and I have not had problems

The attraction of the hmc151 to me is not image quality but cost also It's storage media is cheap. I am still doing my research and playing around with footage from different cameras to see what I like . Whatever camera I do get in the end I would defiantly want to insure it
Thanks
L_funk
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by sojioguns(m): 6:44pm On Apr 09, 2009
What NLE do you use primarily? The big 3 (FCP, Avid and premiere) don't have native support. AVCHD is a highly compressed format and unless you encode to a lossless codec, you can't do much VFX or effect work with it.
Like I said before don't let the marketing gimmicks get to you. The fact that cheap SD cards can be used for the camera doesn't guarantee it's reliability. P2 and SxS cards are way more durable and rugged that SD cards.
As long as you are not doing long form shooting, you would barely run into full cards.
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by Lfunk: 7:13pm On Apr 09, 2009
I think you should give paxson a loan because it seems to me that you are stinking rich
Better still DASH him & me money

Sorry I am a bit puzzled when you say "marketing gimmicks "
Are you saying that sd cards are gimmicks
Are you saying that the HMC150 is a gimmick
Or are you saying that that the AVCHD codec is a gimmick

All d best
L_funk
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by sojioguns(m): 2:59pm On Apr 10, 2009
I am saying the HMC is a scam men. I mean taking out the tape mechanism and the camera still being the same price with the HVX 200.
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by adebaxton(m): 7:52pm On Apr 10, 2009
1 mil. in this country?
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by carlos222(m): 8:05pm On Apr 10, 2009
BUY A DECENT AND LOW COST CAMERA AND USE THE REST TO FEED OR GIVE PEOPLE THAT HAS NOT EATEN FOR ONE WEEK. MANY HAVE THEY SPEND BIG BUT SOME DON'T HAVE NOT EVEN TO SPEND AT ALL.

BE WISE.
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by chimii(f): 9:28pm On Apr 10, 2009
I concur with Carlos222. I mil to buy a camcorder? That's much, use some of the money to feed the poor and hungry.
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by sojioguns(m): 10:23pm On Apr 10, 2009
Why do people find it hard to accept the truth that in nature food chain has to have balance PREDATOR AND PREY! Everyone cannot be a predator.
What I mean is that even if everybody gives 40% of his assets to the poor, there would still be a socials stratification tagged "POOR".
The guy is undergoing expansion in his business and you want to crucify him but yet I am sure both of you drive cars worth at least N1million. Why didn't you buy 1995 cars worth N600k and give the rest to the poor?
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by platinumnk(f): 3:29am On Apr 11, 2009
sojioguns:

Why do people find it hard to accept the truth that in nature food chain has to have balance PREDATOR AND PREY! Everyone cannot be a predator.
What I mean is that even if everybody gives 40% of his assets to the poor, there would still be a socials stratification tagged "POOR".
The guy is undergoing expansion in his business and you want to crucify him but yet I am sure both of you drive cars worth at least N1million. Why didn't you buy 1995 cars worth N600k and give the rest to the poor?

true true wink
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by sunnym(m): 7:52am On Apr 11, 2009
Am not against buy camera or to insure it but i must say that the secret of success is in giving because if you must recieve, you must learn how to give.
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by bishoptboy(m): 7:52am On Apr 11, 2009
@ Lfunk
I will advice you to spend as much as you can on gears and dont listen to people that tell you to give your money to the poor cos they dont know about investing into gears.

My second advice is that due to the rate at which technology moves you have ask yourself if you can make the money back. if you do get good pay project often and you know that you can make back your money in a year i will advice you go for it cos we dont know what they will bring out next year. you can spend N1million now and the next thing you find out your camera is obsolete before you even make back your money. you have clients asking you for the latest camera while you are still trying to make back your money from your old camera.

I will prefer to invest my money into lights and grips cos those gears dont get outdated as fast as a camera. In south africa film makers and production houses prefer to rent gears than buy them cos its economical. they only invest into gears when they have constant jobs like TV show or series
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by sojioguns(m): 12:53pm On Apr 11, 2009
@bishoptboy, The Panasonic HVX200 is a camera I would advice anyone to get because it has both solid state and tape mechanism. The only reason to invest that much money in other gear is if you want to go into equipment rentals and from my experience, it is not easy to break even.
N.B: You shouldn't bother about keeping up with the latest technology because IT IS NOT POSSIBLE! Strike a balance and keep what works for you.

@sunnym, Please save that "secret of success" talk for another topic. This is strictly about technical stuff. Who says the poster hasnt donated to the poor?
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by Theblessed(f): 12:59pm On Apr 11, 2009
Hey Buddy!

Why spend that kind of crazy amount on a camcorder.  Please, take a leave from people who knows better,

Ask people who knows about technology - these days, you don't need to spend this crazy amount on a camcorder, ok! 

WHY Not ??  I hear you say.  Well my answer is:  In this day in age, Technology changes every two minutes .
You see, this 'your new kid on the block' now, will soon become 'Noah's Ark' tomorrow (if you got my message) and you will be disappointed.  So, invest in technology but don't go mad about it as new ideas emerges and develops every two seconds.  Take note!  I promise you by December, there will be better and more sophisticated ones in the market, I mean another 'New kid on the block' for you.  I wonder who will be sorry then obviously, not me.

Cheers!
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by Pataki: 1:42pm On Apr 11, 2009
@ Poster,

Please feel free to invest in the Video Camera. After all, there are people spending one million naira on useless thing, I wonder where are these money salvation preachers to preach to them.

Ensure it has a warranty though. I remember I bought a video camera for a ridiculous amount once. One day while I was pressed and using the toilet, the camera slipped from my jacket and fell into the toilet bowl. I closed my eyes and removed the camera from the toilet bowl, tried putting it on, and alas my camera went blank! Even with my warranty, I knew they would not replace it, as it was my fault and mistake. cry I then told the lady that I was beaten in the rain, and the camera was not water-proof, so I demanded for a replacement. After back and forth deliberations she took the damaged video camera and said she will talk to the management about it and see how it goes.

Lo and behold two months later, I got a package in the post, with the latest and more sophisticated design that brand had just made, which was posted to me, it was water proof and had a fresh one year warranty on it all FOC. cheesy

So do not let anything whatsoever deter you from expanding your business. Invest now, but do it wisely. As for insurance coy, I have no knowledge of any. embarassed
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by sojioguns(m): 3:12pm On Apr 11, 2009
@Theblessed,
There is a STANDARD when it comes to cameras and quality. The poster wants to spend N1million on a prosumer camcorder with some accessories.
The camcorder would be about $5,500, add tripod kit, microphones and extra batteries and this would easily increase the cost to about $7500.
At the current exchange rate of 174 naira to a dollar, we have N1,305,000.
People should relax. Good quality is not cheap and people should stop insulting my industry.
For crying out loud, there are camera kits that cost about $35,000 just for camera, without accessories.
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by Nobody: 4:32pm On Apr 11, 2009
i bought a laptop two years ago at $2300, throw in a vista ultimate license, an upgrade of the hrad drive to 320gb, the ram to 3gb, . . .i insured it for n350,000 with first spring insurance brokers. this was based on the advice of my company insurance officer, who is my friend. i basically insured it beacuse of fear of theft. cost me 9000, r thereabouts.

there was an incident when i thought i might have to call it in. . .i got caught in the rain with it while it was in sleep mode, and it refused to come on. however, it eventually worked.

my advise is to do your insurance through the aegis of a big company. eg my personal car is insured through my company, though i paid with my own money. i say this because insurance companies everywhere like to fk with little people, but not with companies that have legal departments. also, look through the policy carefully. my policy includes vermin/insects damage by soldiers/police/ local agents with the traditional 'acts of God'.
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by Nobody: 4:42pm On Apr 11, 2009
Theblessed:

Hey Buddy!

Why spend that kind of crazy amount on a camcorder.  Please, take a leave from people who knows better,

Ask people who knows about technology - these days, you don't need to spend this crazy amount on a camcorder, ok! 

WHY Not ??  I hear you say.  Well my answer is:  In this day in age, Technology changes every two minutes .
You see, this 'your new kid on the block' now, will soon become 'Noah's Ark' tomorrow (if you got my message) and you will be disappointed.  So, invest in technology but don't go mad about it as new ideas emerges and develops every two seconds.  Take note!  I promise you by December, there will be better and more sophisticated ones in the market, I mean another 'New kid on the block' for you.  I wonder who will be sorry then obviously, not me.

Cheers!

based on your argument, one should not buy any new item. why buy honda end of discussion when you know discussion continues will be better(and why buy a discussion continues, for the same reason) ? why buy the current ipod when you know there will be a better model a few years down the line? apologies, but your argument is ridiculous.

the most important thing to do is to try to comprehend current trends, so that your equipment will be as future proof as possible. remember that hoarded money is not doing anything. the real issue is if you insist on hoarding the item after you buy it, or buying the item with the intent of using it in the distant future, rather than right now.
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by Theblessed(f): 7:43pm On Apr 11, 2009
oyb:

based on your argument, one should not buy any new item. why buy honda end of discussion when you know discussion continues will be better(and why buy a discussion continues, for the same reason) ? why buy the current  ipod when you know there will be a better model a few years down the line? apologies, but your argument is ridiculous.

the most important thing to do is to try to comprehend current trends, so that your equipment will be as future proof as possible. remember that hoarded money is not doing anything. the real issue is if you insist on hoarding the item after you buy it, or buying the item with the intent of using it in the distant future, rather than right now.

Rubbish!! To start with, there's no such thing as future proof on any thing let alone technology, ok!  You can't compare a car with a piece of innovative item/technology like camcorder - your comparison is absolutely nonsensical.  Cars for their good parts, diminishes in value just as the ink begins to dry off your paper warranty for them but at least, they give you your money's worth however, camcorder is some thing you use on occasions, not all the time.  The only people who can spend that bonkers amount of money on such an item without thinking are armed rubbers, politicians and their relatives e.g. children, brothers, sisters etc because it's not their money they are spending, it 's our money - stolen from us - they stole our money and try to make it look as if it's their hard earned money but God will catch them all up soon so, if you are one of them , just wait your day shall come!! Looking at your profile I can see you have no brains either - what on earth are you doing putting young childrens pictures on here?? Goes to show how ignorant your are - get a life, ok!  Remove those pictures on here, these kids deserve not be abused on here because of your ego, idiot!  If I were one of their parents and you did this for commercial reasons, I will sue your ar-e off this business and you won't have legs to stand.  Go now and remove them from here, silly!
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by sojioguns(m): 7:52pm On Apr 11, 2009
@Theblessed,
Why did you have to get personal? The poster is using the camcorder for professional work, not for weddings. Relax and you will live long. You are insulting a family man for no just cause.
Why the hell are Nairalanders so full of it?
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by dominique(f): 11:29am On Apr 12, 2009
@theblessed

you need to relax and be calm before you reply a post, everybody is entitled to his/her opinion. besides, if you had looked closely, those pix only contained one kid (which is prolly his). i wonder what you are so bitter about, you need to think before you post.
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by Kc0022000(m): 12:23pm On Apr 12, 2009
Theblessed:

Rubbish!! To start with, there's no such thing as future proof on any thing let alone technology, ok!  You can't compare a car with a piece of innovative item/technology like camcorder - your comparison is absolutely nonsensical.  Cars for their good parts, diminishes in value just as the ink begins to dry off your paper warranty for them but at least, they give you your money's worth however, camcorder is some thing you use on occasions, not all the time.  The only people who can spend that bonkers amount of money on such an item without thinking are armed rubbers, politicians and their relatives e.g. children, brothers, sisters etc because it's not their money they are spending, it 's our money - stolen from us - they stole our money and try to make it look as if it's their hard earned money but God will catch them all up soon so, if you are one of them , just wait your day shall come!! Looking at your profile I can see you have no brains either - what on earth are you doing putting young childrens pictures on here?? Goes to show how ignorant your are - get a life, ok!  Remove those pictures on here, these kids deserve not be abused on here because of your ego, idiot!  If I were one of their parents and you did this for commercial reasons, I will sue your ar-e off this business and you won't have legs to stand.  Go now and remove them from here, silly!

@Theblessed, you lack communication skills with others, be calm and learn how to post in public forum
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by bishoptboy(m): 1:52pm On Apr 12, 2009
I dont know why people are crying about N1million camcoreder. if he has the money no probs. its like investing into business. he is not buying it for family video. most people that are saying its too much ask them how much they need to start the business they love. they will call millions of naira.

N1million camcorder is small. if you were to buy it from south africa you pay more than that. a sony z7 cost N1.4 million and if i have money i wont buy anythinbg less than that.

Soji, I believe in investing into camera but for someone like me that will always need dollies, jibs etc i will prefer to start with grips and light before camera. A lecturere of mine bought a camera for N1.4 million 4 years ago but now with HD very few will want to use his SD professional camera. This is how I want to go. I want to acquire as much light and grip as possible then afterwards go into camera. I dont know how it is in nigeria but grip and light sometimes cost more in rental than camera so i will prefer to save money on those gears. anyway we all have different ideas of how to go about it.

hey soji check this site out. it might be useful for you. www.dvcamerarigs.com

you will find out that people shouting give to the poor dont even give at all.
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by jembu: 1:55pm On Apr 12, 2009
my brother try crystal life insurance. or call 08066668636 on tuesday by 12:00 noon. thanks
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by sojioguns(m): 1:59pm On Apr 12, 2009
@bishoptboy, To every man, his own. Business plans vary from person to person.
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by Theblessed(f): 3:45pm On Apr 12, 2009
Kc0022000:

@Theblessed,  you lack communication skills with others, be calm and learn how to post in public forum

Hmmm! My Chief communicator, is that the least you can write?? And what do you understand by communication, huh?  Or are you just a band waggoner - joining in the band waggon without genuine reasons.  You communicate when you express yourself honestly in what you believe in even though it might stink or hurt others, tough!!!!  Therefore, your criticism has no grounding, all I did was express an opinion and if anyone here does not like people expressing themselves in what they believe in, they better not post any of their issues here because, NL is democratic - you say what you like and if they can not cope with the negative side of democracy, better get out of here. You can not take the sweet side of democracy without the bitter side and that's how it goes! This is the land of DEMOCRACY - freedom of speech ok!  Grow up! And God bless NL!!!
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by Kc0022000(m): 6:41pm On Apr 12, 2009
@Theblessed or Thecursed, Grow up ! shocked if there is need for someone to grow up here , its you with your senseless post. Go to Aso Rock and express your freedom of Speech not just in a forum like NL. Bit you check yourself before someone do the checking for you. Keep your sick opinion to yourself if this are the kind of opinion you have. sau cheesy
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by MrCrackles(m): 6:46pm On Apr 12, 2009
You guys should grow up now, haba!
Re: Insurance For Video Camera by sojioguns(m): 9:27pm On Apr 12, 2009
WHat is wrong with Nairalanders sef? Relax people. If you don't like what another poster says, just bloody ignore it. My family has been insulted on this same forum before. I mean, my kid was insulted but what the hell, by a kid. Relax people and let's be more mature.

(1) (2) (Reply)

At Almost No Cost... Affordable Online Graphic Design Training / Professional CAD Services For Machines And Building Design / Easiest Method In Turning Any Photo To A Cartoon Using Photoshop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.