Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,672 members, 7,820,358 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

Social Networking Is A Waste Of Time For Majority Of Users - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Social Networking Is A Waste Of Time For Majority Of Users (1564 Views)

Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? / Why Majority Of Nigerians At Elance.com Don't Rise Above 0 - $100 / Boy, 14, Launches Social-Networking Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Social Networking Is A Waste Of Time For Majority Of Users by Cactus(m): 2:17pm On Apr 08, 2009
Say all you want, doesn't bother me one bit.

But I am here to declare that

SOCIAL NETWORKING IS A WASTE OF TIME FOR THE MAJORITY OF USERS

The major beneficiaries from things like facebook, myspace, blogs etc are big corporate companies or well established people trying to sell things.

Saw a post recently about people hiring virtual assistants to manage their social networking profile of many friends. lol I just laughed.

For an average user,

1. Sign up
2. Connect with real world friends (they probably talk with on the phone or see on a regular basis)
3. Link up with virtual users (many fakes and useless people)
4. Gossip, upload stupid pictures, make stupid comments, trash talk, and
5. Whatever.

If you want to prove me wrong, tell me how any social networking site has been of benefit to you? If you are not in close proximity with your real world/life friends then I may pass my comment and exclude you from my rant.
Re: Social Networking Is A Waste Of Time For Majority Of Users by Nobody: 3:27pm On Apr 08, 2009
true talk.

i wish i never heard of facebook and nairaland
Re: Social Networking Is A Waste Of Time For Majority Of Users by katana: 5:13pm On Apr 08, 2009
Actually i have been able to hook up with long lost friends of univ, sec ad even prymary school. i even eventually visted some in europe. but hooked up on face book in naija.
Re: Social Networking Is A Waste Of Time For Majority Of Users by Cactus(m): 6:49pm On Apr 08, 2009
Finding people is cool but most people just end up spending hours upon hours daily doing nothing.

Commenting on pictures and writing incomprehendable blog/comments is beyond understanding.

Especially Tweeter. I AM STILL DUMBFOUNDED on this one.

Oh well i guess people are different.
Re: Social Networking Is A Waste Of Time For Majority Of Users by Nobody: 12:15am On Apr 09, 2009
I cant but agree, i remember once discussing this with someone, maybe webdezzi before, sayin something about we developers spending
so much time on facebook and elsewhere. . .how it affects our work and all that. . .
In fact sef, i find facebook rather boring these days, same old routine. . .on and on and on. . .i have not been active on fb for say 4 months
now, and i can bet no one give a damn (except maybe cyberomin). . .but that is how it really is. . .gets rather monotonous. . .and no true gain
except just to "feel amoung" or how we dey even talk am sef. . .Last time i opened my facebook (some minutes ago), i saw all sorts of requests
loads of ppl i dont even know requesting. . .
Re: Social Networking Is A Waste Of Time For Majority Of Users by Cactus(m): 1:25pm On Apr 09, 2009
I was on facebook and myspace like 3 years ago and I closed my accounts. I am sure there are others I registered for but I dont even remember them anymore. It was really boring for me personally. There was nothing good to be derived apart from just adding people lookingn to spam and sell you things.

'Tis terrible. Unfortunately more and more social networking and wannabe sites will keep cropping up here and there.

How many do people want to join?
Re: Social Networking Is A Waste Of Time For Majority Of Users by Nobody: 1:53pm On Apr 09, 2009
i think twitter will make you appear like a jerk to those who dont use it.

for instance. on mambenanje's yahoo messenger status (via twitter)
i saw mambenanje profile change every minute and at times could be disturbing that i wud wonder how i managed to add someone who talk too much to my profile

for instance
-i am heading to douala to meet a client who needs a website, he called me up and said, "i learnt you design websites very well and that you can do mine in 2 days"

thats crazy but i guess it makes sense to those on twitter.
i have a friend who stopped using it when his friends started asking if he is alright.
same with Oluwas*** on facebook, and i wonder what time these great guys have left to code.
Re: Social Networking Is A Waste Of Time For Majority Of Users by Nobody: 10:07pm On Apr 15, 2009
That was some crazy shit webdezzi. . .and yes, you are very right about that. . .kinda purposeless, but on the brighter side, people pay alot to setup a social networking site, i have done 2 in the past, and they were not well done (i was kinda inexperienced them), buuuut, i made more money from those
websites compared to some more recent websites i have done with even more professionalism.  . . I think i am improving now though. . .but even the recent one i am working on, though it is lively, shows off lots of stunts and all that, but i find it boring really. . .i only find it interesting considering how much i am makin from it, and how much i will use it to make after completing it. . .
Re: Social Networking Is A Waste Of Time For Majority Of Users by Alireta: 9:07pm On Apr 17, 2009
3. Link up with virtual users (many fakes and useless people)
4. Gossip, upload stupid pictures, make stupid comments, trash talk,
Most people on Facebook I see fit these two categories. As already said, its one huge waste of time and resources. Not sure how people get a kick out of these.

Having said that, Facebook and other SN sites can be put to productive use. Its just that it seems that the average person is clueless.
Re: Social Networking Is A Waste Of Time For Majority Of Users by castrolng: 1:28pm On Apr 23, 2009

(1) (Reply)

My New Ajax Simulator - To Upload Unlimited Size Of Data And Even Photos Sef / I Need A Place To Learn Web Designing / I Challenge The Level Of Intelligence On This Forum With This Puzzle.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.