Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo (4393 Views)

Photos From The 2017 Osun Osogbo Festival / Arugba Appears As Osun Osogbo Festival Hots Up / Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by Lushore1: 1:32pm On Sep 13, 2015
This is must watch documentary for all Yorubas sons and daughters. Our religion is one of the 10 largest religion in the whole world, practice by over 100 million practitioner, we need to be proud of our culture and tradition. Odua agbe wa ooo....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO6LxRvxubI

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by absoluteSuccess: 1:53pm On Sep 13, 2015
Its one of the 5 largest religion, but does it promise salvation to its adherent or 'its right because its ours?' What is the teneth of Yoruba religion?
Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by IamAtribalist: 2:15pm On Sep 13, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Its one of the 5 largest religion, but does it promise salvation to its adherent or 'its right because its ours?' What is the teneth of Yoruba religion?

salvation is a white man's scam - something you have apparently swallowed hook, line and sinker. You don't have to comment on TR topics, you head is too far up the white man's a$$ its impossible for you to see anything anymore.

5 Likes

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by IamAtribalist: 2:15pm On Sep 13, 2015
cool Anything that promotes African TR is good in my book - well done BBC.

3 Likes

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by Lushore1: 2:57pm On Sep 13, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

Yoruba religion is about one God, called Olodumare who is responsible for all creations, He has deities/ messagers that help him to perform his work and these deities act as links between mankind and himself. These deities called orishas have and serve thesame roles as angels, saints, holy ghost and even jesus christ. So in essence you must believe in some orishas if you want to connect with Olodumare.

2 Likes

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by IamAtribalist: 3:25pm On Sep 13, 2015
While I enjoy giving amala-eaters a hard time on NL, we still have to be honest: their culture and tradition is one of the few things in Africa that makes me proud to be African. Unfortunately, some of these amala-eaters don't even appreciate their TR because they have been brainwashed by Arabs (Islam) and Europeans (Christianity). The akpu-eating chest-beaters are already lost because those ones are so brainwashed, they don't even believe they are Africans. Their Biafra leader, Nnamdi Kanu, thinks he is a white man - and they follow Catholicism like it is their life and soul.

4 Likes

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by absoluteSuccess: 4:00pm On Sep 13, 2015
IamAtribalist:

salvation is a white man's scam - something you have apparently swallowed hook, line and sinker. You don't have to comment on TR topics, you head is too far up the white man's a$$ its impossible for you to see anything anymore.
This is how you proselyte your faith? I thought its something alluring, never knew it has to do with ugly manipulation and prejudice. Ugly religion in a notepad wielding, dubai parading fine age don't stand a chance.
Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by absoluteSuccess: 4:18pm On Sep 13, 2015
Lushore1:

Yoruba religion is about one God, called Olodumare who is responsible for all creations, He has deities/ messagers that help him to perform his work and these deities act as links between mankind and himself. These deities called orishas have and serve thesame roles as angels, saints, holy ghost and even jesus christ. So in essence you must believe in some orishas if you want to connect with Olodumare.
Very well.
Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by OlaoChi: 12:32am On Sep 16, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
This is how you proselyte your faith? I thought its something alluring, never knew it has to do with ugly manipulation and prejudice. Ugly religion in a notepad wielding, dubai parading fine age don't stand a chance.
anything faulty with what he posted?
Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by OlaoChi: 12:33am On Sep 16, 2015
IamAtribalist:
While I enjoy giving amala-eaters a hard time on NL, we still have to be honest: their culture and tradition is one of the few things in Africa that makes me proud to be African. Unfortunately, some of these amala-eaters don't even appreciate their TR because they have been brainwashed by Arabs (Islam) and Europeans (Christianity). The akpu-eating chest-beaters are already lost because those ones are so brainwashed, they don't even believe they are Africans. Their Biafra leader, Nnamdi Kanu, thinks he is a white man - and they follow Catholicism like it is their life and soul.

grin grin so which are you? Pounded Yam eater?
Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by OlaoChi: 12:49am On Sep 16, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Salvation is a scam by the Europeans. Even the Jews don't spread the Salvation scam. Adam and Eve are Jewish ancestors their sin is said to be the reason humans need salvation in christianity but Jewish traditons don't say such a thing. .how come? Ever pondered why? Ever thought why African nations have no traditons of Adam and Eve? Or a need for the salvation christianity is offering. Before the Europeans came did africans of below the Sahara ever think of salvation? We don't have a need for it. .it Europeans did.

4 Likes

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by IamAtribalist: 5:22am On Sep 16, 2015
OlaoChi:

grin grin so which are you? Pounded Yam eater?

Is it a crime to eat pounded yam? Even akpu-eating flattheads and amala-eating sophisticates are proud of their foods. cool
Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by OlaoChi: 10:24am On Sep 16, 2015
IamAtribalist:

Is it a crime to eat pounded yam? Even akpu-eating flattheads and amala-eating sophisticates are proud of their foods. cool

Oh No! Please continue eating grin
Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by absoluteSuccess: 1:41pm On Sep 16, 2015
OlaoChi:

Salvation is a scam by the Europeans. Even the Jews don't spread the Salvation scam. Adam and Eve are Jewish ancestors their sin is said to be the reason humans need salvation in christianity but Jewish traditons don't say such a thing. .how come? Ever pondered why? Ever thought why African nations have no traditons of Adam and Eve? Or a need for the salvation christianity is offering. Before the Europeans came did africans of below the Sahara ever think of salvation? We don't have a need for it. .it Europeans did.
Thanks for sharing.
Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by macof(m): 10:53pm On Sep 16, 2015
OlaoChi:

Beautifully put.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by macof(m): 10:58pm On Sep 16, 2015
Watching this video made me realize even more that I love my identity as a Yoruba man and I wouldn't deny it for all the gold in the world. I got so emotional seeing African Americans identify as Orisa worshipers and Isese adherents with pride.

Beautiful new Osun priestesses btw, they radiate the Osun energy

The black race shall rise again!

4 Likes

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by macof(m): 11:08pm On Sep 16, 2015
am0sn0nyu, 9jacrip, Folykaze, Glamrock, fightforchange1

3 Likes

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by Nobody: 12:49am On Sep 17, 2015
Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:50am On Sep 17, 2015
This video brought the mixture of depression and joy inside me. The effects made me cry and smile. I have watched it for the second time and I think I will do more again. It went for an hour but it seems like it is a second while watched. The part retelling how much have been lost; identity, culture, heritage and history. The attack from christianity and Islam on the other side. The feelings that very few at home align with their root. This brought tears on my face. However, Orisha is rising. It is spreading across and beyond the Ocean. It is reconnecting and uniting people to their history, culture, heritage and family. Orisha is the emboldenment of Love, peace and tolerance. It live and grow in an environment where filled religious hatred.

My only wish is other town bringing alive their Gods. Oyo reviving Sango, Ondo awakening Ogun, Ijebu reconnecting with Agemo and lot more. I wish every Yoruba son and daughter home or abroad can reconnect to Orishas. Orisha will live forever. Gba n gba loke oke gba n gba.

4 Likes

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by Lushore1: 9:02pm On Sep 17, 2015
macof:
Watching this video made me realize even more that I love my identity as a Yoruba man and I wouldn't deny it for all the gold in the world. I got so emotional seeing African Americans identify as Orisa worshipers and Isese adherents with pride.

Beautiful new Osun priestesses btw, they radiate the Osun energy

The black race shall rise again!

The documentary was definitely an eye opener for me and i also get really emotional watching it. There's literally hundreds of video on you-tube of an Africa American identifying with our culture and each one these videos make me so proud to be Yoruba. I will post some of these videos as soon as i'm free.

1 Like

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:44pm On Sep 17, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

It promise Inner Peace and Balanced Behaviour (Iwa-Pele).

1 Like

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by absoluteSuccess: 11:03am On Sep 18, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

It promise Inner Peace and Balanced Behaviour (Iwa-Pele).
You are perfectly right. You do not need to bring other peoples' comparative 'good creed' down just to establish your own creed, that's 'insecurity complex'. You rather share your core value to endear more friends to the fold to help solve inner crisis. 'Inubibi ng o ran O nise, edo fufu ng o be O l'owe: adia fun oriadetu, ab'iwa pele..
Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by Lushore1: 11:45am On Sep 18, 2015
The religion is growing rapidly across the world but what really makes me happy about this documentary was the calibre of africa america who are identifying with the religion (professor, lecturers, phd student and college graduates). The good news is that many we continue to come but i just wish the state government understand how much they could be generating from tourism.

1 Like

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:27pm On Sep 18, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
You are perfectly right. You do not need to bring other peoples' comparative 'good creed' down just to establish your own creed, that's 'insecurity complex'. You rather share your core value to endear more friends to the fold to help solve inner crisis. 'Inubibi ng o ran O nise, edo fufu ng o be O l'owe: adia fun oriadetu, ab'iwa pele..

Igbagbo oni ki a mase oro ile baba wa.

My tutor told me we are firstly an aborisha and secondly what form of religion we choose to belong to.
Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:36pm On Sep 18, 2015
Lushore1:
The religion is growing rapidly across the world but what really makes me happy about this documentary was the calibre of africa america who are identifying with the religion (professor, lecturers, phd student and college graduates). The good news is that many we continue to come but i just wish the state government understand how much they could be generating from tourism.

This is not about toutism but creation of room for self realisation. The education system is killing Orisha system. Children are still taught at school that Oduduwa is from Mecca. Yoruba curriculum is almost non existence in our schools. The social system is going worst against the development of Orisha. People are allowed to sprew gilberish on radio, television and social gathering against Orisha. Orisha are mostly seen as devil and demons. We need to bring things to live. Educate people and room for development will arrive.

We dont need to wait for one Fakunle to decode the scientifcal emphasis of Obatala and Oduduwa in the creation story. We need to take the ace and enlighten ourselves about who we are

2 Likes

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by absoluteSuccess: 1:10pm On Sep 18, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

Igbagbo oni ki a mase oro ile baba wa.

My tutor told me we are firstly an aborisha and secondly what form of religion we choose to belong to.
That is it, if we prohibit our own, we destroy the better part of our history, which is meant to be a continuum. When the white men says man can marry man, we said its against our culture. But when we talk of our culture, we also condemn it ourselves.
Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by Lushore1: 8:48pm On Sep 19, 2015
FOLYKAZE:

This is not about toutism but creation of room for self realisation. The education system is killing Orisha system. Children are still taught at school that Oduduwa is from Mecca. Yoruba curriculum is almost non existence in our schools. The social system is going worst against the development of Orisha. People are allowed to sprew gilberish on radio, television and social gathering against Orisha. Orisha are mostly seen as devil and demons. We need to bring things to live. Educate people and room for development will arrive.

We dont need to wait for one Fakunle to decode the scientifcal emphasis of Obatala and Oduduwa in the creation story. We need to take the ace and enlighten ourselves about who we are

I total agree with what you said and i believe our history, religion and culture should be made a cumpulsory subject in all level of our education system. Though I'm one of the people that i have said bad things about orisha/babalawo in the past (pentecostal background... lipsrsealed) but i now play oshun, yemaja and esu songs on my phone everyday and this is sadly due to the influence and re-education i'm daily getting from african america, the cubans, brazillians and many others from outside nigeria. These people have made me more proud to be yoruba than the yorubas living in nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by GooseBaba: 9:30pm On Sep 19, 2015
Awesome...!!!

Growing up in an environment like this in warri. As a child one did not feel the need to defend any concept of God. When your next door neighbors worship different deities and no one cares. It was personal not wholesale. You seek to answer questions that comes from within.

Just like the Babalawo said, it's adherents of other faiths that flock to seek divine answers. Conflicts that do arise almost have nothing to do with religion. People lived side by side without religious supremacy. I still think get rich pentecostal teachings is one of the main reason for religious competition/supremacy that is ravaging african communities.

4 Likes

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by Lushore1: 10:16pm On Sep 19, 2015
This is one of africa america woman that continue to contribute to the growth of yoruba religion in america.

Her name is yeye Luisah Teish, she is a teacher and an author, most notably of Jambalaya: The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Practical Rituals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgesG5Hs5vU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iekyLa7FWrY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z5VbCAJZ5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtuXRLnLLtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM5MOS6_SEw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq2ddUbzRgA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oByQ2WlNKsU

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by Nobody: 10:38pm On Sep 19, 2015
Yoruba is beautiful.
Proudly Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by Lushore1: 11:47pm On Sep 19, 2015
Africa american are not only identifying with yoruba cultures, they are also setting up independent private schools where they teach about our culture and tradition to their kids. Example of this school is Ile Omode school in oakland, california.

http://www.ileomode.org/draft1/index.htm

Check out the kids singing elejibgo song.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kboZStmU-Gc

Re: BBC Documentary 2014 Sacred Journeys With Bruce Feiler Series EP06 Osun Osogbo by Ghost01(m): 12:46am On Sep 20, 2015
Lovely! Just lovely!! Reminds one of the documentary series done on the Benin, Ethiopian, Nubian and Great Zimbabwean empires by Gus Casely-Hayford. Our history(ies), as Africans, starts not (and neither is it exhausted) with colonialism, slave trade and the likes that came with the white man's forceful incursion into Africa. It's time we propagate what's ours. Read Tunde Fagbenle's column in The Punch the other day where he rightly said that what we need to build, going forward, are temples, not shrines. We need not only to come out and utter what we have; we also need to make what we are propagating attractive...

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbo Films / If Not For The Coming Of The Europeans....would Africa Ever Develop? / Pharaoh Ramses III Was Black And East African Features Are Indigenous.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.