Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:47 AM

Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar (58675 Views)

The making of A "4 bedroom Duplex with 2 rooms BQ" In Aba / I Have Hotel For Sale 44 Rooms At Ajah 130m / Please Help Me Check The Quotation Of A Storey Building From My Contractor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 8:52pm On Sep 14, 2015
And the beat goes on. During my 3 week stay in Calabar, I decided to up the ante and tackle the challenging sloppy terrain. The foundation input was enough to build a flat.

Lesson learnt: If you do not have loads of money, dont buy a plot of land that is slopping at a steep gradient. It takes double the amount of money to level the foundation.

Check out the 8-9 coaches of block work for the foundation

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 8:56pm On Sep 14, 2015
more pics

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by mufutau55(m): 9:07pm On Sep 14, 2015
erico2k2:

As Usual.I'm the monitor and here to write names of noise makers grin

You surely will be a good Class Monitor, for trouble-makers like us... and especially Senator EgunMogaji.

Hajji M.

4 Likes

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by mufutau55(m): 9:09pm On Sep 14, 2015
LondonCool:
And the beat goes on. During my 3 week stay in Calabar, I decided to up the ante and tackle the challenging sloppy terrain. The foundation input was enough to build a flat.
Lesson learnt: If you do not have loads of money, dont buy a plot of land that is slopping at a steep gradient. It takes double the amount of money to level the foundation.

Truly speaking... but God shall provide to balance things out. I have gone thru same thing before, but mine was not too sloppy as yours.

Hajji M.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by erico2k2(m): 9:11pm On Sep 14, 2015
mufutau55:

You surely will be a good Class Monitor, for trouble-makers like us... and especially EgunMogaji.

Hajji M.
grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 14, 2015
mufutau55:

You surely will be a good Class Monitor, for trouble-makers like us... and especially Senator EgunMogaji.

Hajji M.

It's not troublemaking if you don't get caught grin

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by kopell: 9:30pm On Sep 14, 2015
LondonCool:
Lessons learned so far (for those building from abroad)

1) Make sure you are there physically to supervise each stage of your building project (even if it takes you 4 years)- this is to prevent what happended in 1993 from happening to you.

2) Always engage professionals for your project. Ask them questions. Challenge every assumption. (the Architects on Nairaland were a good sounding board for actualising my building designs). Vicmoor sold me the idea of having a penthouse in my bungalow. Segzy14 always checked up on the progress of the building project and provided some sound advice.

3) Have at least one reliable home person on ground. I used my younger brother and my Architect friend, though they used to checkmate each other, I was getting spot-on updates on the work progress corroborated by 2 sources.

4) I bought a camera and SD card for my brother with the caveat that he had to give me weekly pictures about the work progress via Whatsapp (with his face in picture, lol). Look for a way to get visual updates about your project.

5) Get ready for other anciliary costs after purchasing your land. I paid lots of money for Land registration , Town Planning approval, Site Analysis/Charting, etc.
Man your was weekly, when I was doing my I paid a guy that as nothing to do with the project to give me daily pictures update on the site thru whatsapp. I remember one of my family member was trying to chase him way,not knowing he was doing what I paid him to do. When the discover that they stop messing with my money.

2 Likes

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 9:32pm On Sep 14, 2015
mufutau55:

Truly speaking... but God shall provide to balance things out. I have gone thru same thing before, but mine was not too sloppy as yours.

Hajji M.

Amen o! This came as a rude shock to me as it destablised my budget...but I told myself, no retreat, no surrender!

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 9:34pm On Sep 14, 2015
kopell:
Man your was weekly, when I was doing my I paid a guy that as nothing to do with the project to give me daily pictures update on the site thru whatsapp. I remember one of my family member was trying to chase him way,not knowing he was doing what I paid him to do. When the discover that they stop messing with my money.

@kopel,

Actually, it started as daily picture updates, before I reduced the frequency to weekly. Sometimes I couldnt find any tangible significant changes when I had the daily updates.

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 9:37pm On Sep 14, 2015
Foundation level

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by FastShipping: 9:41pm On Sep 14, 2015
The greenery in the background is priceless to me. I rather live here than Ikoyi, VI or Banana Island.

This environment looks healthy to me.

3 Likes

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by 400billionman: 9:55pm On Sep 14, 2015
LondonCool:

Worse off, sloping and waterlogged area..
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 10:26pm On Sep 14, 2015
400billionman:

I thank God, it wasnt a waterlogged area
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by nelsonB: 10:35pm On Sep 14, 2015
Pls guys help me out, how many blocks can I get from a trip of sand givng 30 blocks per bag of cement. Help pls guys
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by mufutau55(m): 11:59pm On Sep 14, 2015
LondonCool:

Amen o! This came as a rude shock to me as it destablised my budget...but I told myself, no retreat, no surrender!

Just keep it in mind that, in any project, you will encounter a lot of un-forseen expenses, don't let that deter you. It shall be well IJN.

Hajji M.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by mufutau55(m): 12:26am On Sep 15, 2015
400billionman:

That will be a double whammy!

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by 400billionman: 12:44am On Sep 15, 2015
LondonCool:

I thank God, it wasnt a waterlogged area

Okay,

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by OnetimeOnly: 2:36am On Sep 15, 2015
LondonCool:

Land around Tinapa is now at a premium price and picked up by money bags. Winners Chapel have secured acres there for their new University (for Science and Engineering). Mine is in a newly opened up area around 5 minutes from Tinapa. Its like a quiet village but surely lots of bourgeois are picking up plots here quite consistently. Once the CRS Government gets to see the rate of development here, they would most likely acquire the area, build layouts and sell the plots to Government official and their lackeys.

Thanks for the info...any idea on price range in the area and road network
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by erico2k2(m): 6:43am On Sep 15, 2015
EgunMogaji:

It's not troublemaking if you don't get caught grin
Don't worry I'm scanning in 3D grin grin

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by erico2k2(m): 6:45am On Sep 15, 2015
nelsonB:
Pls guys help me out, how many blocks can I get from a trip of sand givng 30 blocks per bag of cement. Help pls guys
What's the to age of the trip?what's the size of block.hollow or solid??
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by spyder880(m): 7:26am On Sep 15, 2015
Congratulations Londoncool, what a lovely setting for this great looking house. Well done.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by neluyi: 10:20am On Sep 15, 2015
erico2k2:

What's the to age of the trip?what's the size of block.hollow or solid??

10 tone and 9 inches block
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by snakebeat: 11:39am On Sep 15, 2015
LondonCool:
I have decided to diarise my building experience involving the building of a 3 bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse at Calabar (close to Tinapa). Since i'm based in London I have decided to project manage the construction in phases by myself each time I visited Nigeria. I bought a 150 x 100 plot of land in June 2014 and visited in December 2014 to oversee the fencing of the plot. In August 2015 I visited for the excavation phase to the German floor phase before leaving. I also annexed a 50 x 50 plot next to mine during my visit (a good place to locate the 2 x 3 bedroom flat BQ, Borehole, Generator room at the back of the plot).

Features: Ground Floor
Ante-room, Lounge, Dinning room, Kitchen/ Store, 3 Bedroom (ensuite -including Visitors room), stairwell, visitors toilet.

Penthouse: Masters bedroom ensuite with balcony, Second bedroom ensuite

Most of the input came from Nairaland members here

*Original plan (5 bedroom bungalow) designed by megaplanpro
*First penthouse design-by Vicmoor
*BoQ for Fencing cost + building advice- by Segzy14
*Structural design advice by Onakomaya

Sir why two bath/wc for the master bedroom @ the pent floor?
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 3:09pm On Sep 15, 2015
OnetimeOnly:

Thanks for the info...any idea on price range in the area and road network

The road just passing by the entrance to the plot is a Trunk B newly ashphalt constructed road (which links straight to Tinapa) with stepped down electricity sponsored by the NDDC. I bought my three 100 x 50 plots for N900,000. I'm aware it could go lower for N800,000. Its a newly opened up area and the community is trying to sell as much plots as possbile before the State Government comes in to take over the development of the area just like othe place in Calabar that have recently opened up.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 3:12pm On Sep 15, 2015
snakebeat:

Sir why two bath/wc for the master bedroom @ the pent floor?

Well spoted. Good question. I queried that too when I saw the re-design. The Engineer did recommend that one of the 2 bathrooms could be used for a Jacuzzi/Sauna room. I may have other ideas about that though.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 3:18pm On Sep 15, 2015
spyder880:
Congratulations Londoncool, what a lovely setting for this great looking house. Well done.

Thanks my main man. I may have to book a hotel for you and Madam in Calabar during the Xmas carnival for the weekend to visit and so that you can come and provide some expert creative advise to my Structural Engineer who's building the house.

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 3:25pm On Sep 15, 2015
Cracking the sloping foundation

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 3:35pm On Sep 15, 2015
Cracking the foundation

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by Dieumerci(m): 3:46pm On Sep 15, 2015
nelsonB:
I tipped 30 tonnes of sharp sand.
I moulded 32 blocks per 50kg bag of Dangote 3X cement.
I used 50 bags of cement from the 30 tonnes and the remaining sand might not be able to mould 2 bags of cement.

Hope this helps.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by Dieumerci(m): 3:48pm On Sep 15, 2015
LondonCool:
Cracking the foundation

Good job, sir.
I like your spirit.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 4:15pm On Sep 15, 2015
More pics

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 4:27pm On Sep 15, 2015
more pics

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Hidden Secrets Of Borehole Drilling, Geo-physical Survey, Water Treatment Etc. / Meet Said Jammal, The Owner Of The Aeroplane House In Abuja / Funny Picture: House With Over 15 Satellite Dishes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.