Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,384 members, 7,822,794 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar (58877 Views)

The making of A "4 bedroom Duplex with 2 rooms BQ" In Aba / I Have Hotel For Sale 44 Rooms At Ajah 130m / Please Help Me Check The Quotation Of A Storey Building From My Contractor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by bugmenot: 10:04pm On Oct 06, 2015

@mufutau55
You made a wise decision to let those who duped you be. They stole your money, you earned a lesson - I bet you're better off than they are now.

mufutau55:

On my side... there is no need for the 1976 story... because I was 80% "Ete Bassey"... except I was not sick or dead; this was long time ago.
I had no opportunity to come home and monitor my project because I was on a student visa, and once you leave, you are not coming back.
So my family are the next option... we are talking about mid 70s, there was no communication except letter (postal) delivery was still good.
Sending money then you have to send it thru people or those coming to USA for trading.. that was during the time called "Arrangee", if you are caught with more than "Basic Travel Allowance", you will end up in Bar Beach for firing-squad. Many old-timers will remember this time.
Long story short all photos of housing project sent to me was fake.. no house no hard earned money. I even thought of importing gun to Naija then concealed in an auto tyres so I can come and shoot those who duped, but I later changed my mind... but I surely learnt my lesson in a big way.

Your family are your worst enemy sometimes when it comes to finances or building projects, especially if you are overseas...

Hajji M.

4 Likes

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by kopell: 11:12pm On Oct 06, 2015
mufutau55:

On my side... there is no need for the 1976 story... because I was 80% "Ete Bassey"... except I was not sick or dead; this was long time ago.
I had no opportunity to come home and monitor my project because I was on a student visa, and once you leave, you are not coming back.
So my family are the next option... we are talking about mid 70s, there was no communication except letter (postal) delivery was still good.
Sending money then you have to send it thru people or those coming to USA for trading.. that was during the time called "Arrangee", if you are caught with more than "Basic Travel Allowance", you will end up in Bar Beach for firing-squad. Many old-timers will remember this time.
Long story short all photos of housing project sent to me was fake.. no house no hard earned money. I even thought of importing gun to Naija then concealed in an auto tyres so I can come and shoot those who duped, but I later changed my mind... but I surely learnt my lesson in a big way.

Your family are your worst enemy sometimes when it comes to finances or building projects, especially if you are overseas...

Hajji M.
My friend similar story was 4 years ago, this involve their birth mother. My friend junior brother took his money that suppose to be used to build his house, marry young lady with it. There mother was aware of all this Oooo. He even sent him bags of wedding gift. His brother keep sending him pictures of his neighbor building as he seind money. All this burst when he try to surprise me About his project in Naija, when I told him I was traveling to Naija. He give me the address, when I get the supposed about to finish building is already be occupied. To cut the story short, it was an custom officer home. His house is about 5 blocks away with just the foundation just the way he left it before he came to US 7 years early.
That was the money that he suppose to used to regularize him self here. He still here, no house in Naija no paper. How do one deal with that?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by mufutau55(m): 11:43pm On Oct 06, 2015
bugmenot:

@mufutau55
You made a wise decision to let those who duped you be. They stole your money, you earned a lesson - I bet you're better off than they are now.

Ye sir. I have learnt plenty o.. and those days money has more values than now.. But I thank God I bounced back with several houses now.
But I came close to being a killer, and I later thought that it was not worth it. Several stories like that from friends here too.. God save us.

Hajji M.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by Nobody: 11:46pm On Oct 06, 2015
kopell:
My friend similar story was 4 years ago, this involve their birth mother. My friend junior brother took his money that suppose to be used to build his house, marry young lady with it. There mother was aware of all this Oooo. He even sent him bags of wedding gift. His brother keep sending him pictures of his neighbor building as he seind money. All this burst when he try to surprise me About his project in Naija, when I told him I was traveling to Naija. He give me the address, when I get the supposed about to finish building is already be occupied. To cut the story short, it was an custom officer home. His house is about 5 blocks away with just the foundation just the way he left it before he came to US 7 years early.
That was the money that he suppose to used to regularize him self here. He still here, no house in Naija no paper. How do one deal with that?

Stories like this keeps my antennae high and why I disconnect from ANY person who starts behaving shifty. I don't offer them second chances and immediately cease all communications and cut all ties.

It's just a shame because there are many more people that wants to do real estate in Nigeria but these things keep happening till today.

7 Likes

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 12:48am On Oct 07, 2015
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

@mufutau55 ,

This has been a very common experience amongst the senior diasporans/ first/second generation immigrants irrespective of our state of origin. Why do our family members like duping us in the diaspora with no mercy? Thank God for the internet, we can now blog about our building updates on a daily basis

5 Likes

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 12:49am On Oct 07, 2015
kopell:

That is very pathetic!
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by mufutau55(m): 2:47am On Oct 07, 2015
LondonCool:

@mufutau55 ,
This has been a very common experience amongst the senior diasporans/ first/second generation immigrants irrespective of our state of origin. Why do our family members like duping us in the diaspora with no mercy? Thank God for the internet, we can now blog about our building updates on a daily basis.

I guess when they know we are in diaspora, we are automatically made of money... and the street is littered with gold.
And my situation was when Nigeria was good and the economic situation was palatable.. but now they will tell you nah satan make them do it.. and nah because of sufferhead and wahala... Na wah for us o. Imagine if ones mother and father can dupe you, then who cannot do it?

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 2:57am On Oct 08, 2015
omooba969:
@Op,

Good structure you are putting up there, please can you throw more light on the expenses from excavation of foundation to DPC, including labour?

Thanks sir.

@omooba969

According to my spreadsheet I spent N3,037,000.00 to DPC level . I went N249,500 over budget.

The German flooring cost me N497,000. Moulding blocks cost me N610,000. Reinforcement/Blockwork cost N755,000. Chippings ,Extra Rods, Laterite sand, cost around N630,000. Building project expenses (including labour,materials, shed,water supplies) around N740,000.

Due to the large slopping topography most parts of the foundation took 8-9 coaches (it was like building an undergound bunker). I also changed my design midway to include a Penthouse, so I had to increase the reinforcement expenditure (rods, beams, pillars,cement,etc)

My quote from DPC to Decking /lintel level has now reduced from N2731750 to N2463250 (saving me around N268,500), thanks to the eagle-eyed contribution from those on the this thread that helped me to scrutinse the previous quote I listed here.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by Nobody: 3:44am On Oct 08, 2015
LondonCool:

@omooba969

According to my spreadsheet I spent N3,037,000.00 to DPC level . I went N249,500 over budget.

The German flooring cost me N497,000. Moulding blocks cost me N610,000. Reinforcement/Blockwork cost N755,000. Chippings ,Extra Rods, Laterite sand, cost around N630,000. Building project expenses (including labour,materials, shed,water supplies) around N740,000.

Due to the large slopping topography most parts of the foundation took 8-9 coaches (it was like building an undergound bunker). I also changed my design midway to include a Penthouse, so I had to increase the reinforcement expenditure (rods, beams, pillars,cement,etc)

My quote from DPC to Decking /lintel level has now reduced from N2731750 to N2463250 (saving me around N268,500), thanks to the eagle-eyed contribution from those on the this thread that helped me to scrutinse the previous quote I listed here.

Does this include the land?

I'm at 3.7M at my stage all inclusive (fence, gate, land, omo onile) foundation wall but no filing and german floor.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by omooba969(m): 8:58am On Oct 08, 2015
LondonCool:

@omooba969

shocked shocked shocked I asked that question to know what to expect because I schedule to start my project in February'16 in Ibadan; that's when I get the chance to go to 9ja. Your building structure is similar to mine but rooms arrangement is different, the reason 've got interest in this thread.

I got 3plots(dry land) & fenced it round( to knee level ) to secure it @#298,000. My plan is to see how far #2M can go( for the first stage i.e foundation including DPC ) then that will inform my further steps.

Thanks for your reply.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by omooba969(m): 9:29am On Oct 08, 2015
mufutau55:

I guess when they know we are in diaspora, we are automatically made of money... and the street is littered with gold.
And my situation was when Nigeria was good and the economic situation was palatable.. but now they will tell you nah satan make them do it.. and nah because of sufferhead and wahala... Na wah for us o. Imagine if ones mother and father can dupe you, then who cannot do it?

Hajji M.

@bolded,

That got me laughing, cheesy cheesy how bizzare that is. grin
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 8:19am On Oct 09, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Does this include the land?

I'm at 3.7M at my stage all inclusive (fence, gate, land, omo onile) foundation wall but no filing and german floor.

This doesn't include the cost of the land. I bought 100 X 150 for N2.7m and then added a 50 X 50 plot for N350,000.

For your present building stage your current financial outlay has accomplished a lot.

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 8:29am On Oct 09, 2015
omooba969:

shocked shocked shocked I asked that question to know what to expect because I schedule to start my project in February'16 in Ibadan; that's when I get the chance to go to 9ja. Your building structure is similar to mine but rooms arrangement is different, the reason 've got interest in this thread.

I got 3plots(dry land) & fenced it round( to knee level ) to secure it @#298,000. My plan is to see how far #2M can go( for the first stage i.e foundation including DPC ) then that will inform my further steps.

Thanks for your reply.

That's cool. First of all get all your blocks ready that's required for that phase of work ( either bought or moulded on site). Afterwards, you can tell how much funds you have left to pay for setting out, excavation and block work.

Would you be putting in columns and pillars in your foundation ? ( that's if you are having a penthouse and/ or parapet). They take extra funds.

Also, if your foundation is going to be more than 4 coaches, you would need to introduce beams all round the foundation. That also takes extra funds.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 6:45pm On Oct 10, 2015
LondonCool:

wanaj0,

Thanks for the insight. I'll quietly make my own arrangements to check the prices and when I visit soon.

I've confirmed the price to be N190 for good quality vibrated 9 inchblocks, the price includes delivery to site and stacking.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by johnson232: 7:34pm On Oct 10, 2015
LondonCool:

That's cool. First of all get all your blocks ready that's required for that phase of work ( either bought or moulded on site). Afterwards, you can tell how much funds you have left to pay for setting out, excavation and block work.

Would you be putting in columns and pillars in your foundation ? ( that's if you are having a penthouse and/ or parapet). They take extra funds.

Also, if your foundation is going to be more than 4 coaches, you would need to introduce beams all round the foundation. That also takes extra funds.
Is there really need to introduce beam around the foundation if it's more than 5 coach on a dry land? Is your land waterlogged? That will gulp a lot of funds.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by johnson232: 7:34pm On Oct 10, 2015
LondonCool:

Is there really need to introduce beam all round the foundation if it's more than 5 coach on a dry land? Is your land waterlogged? That will gulp a lot of funds.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by ricki: 12:07pm On Oct 12, 2015
Never been duped much, just petty petty stealing here and there. But got on top of the matter quickly and today smiling. Not only families are ur enemies also nairalanders' be worst.

I remember asking one to visit one of my site and on knowing who I be. He instantly colluded with family member sent to show him site to rip me off.

People ppl feoffle. This thread is gradually turning to agony aunt. Or agony contractor
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by Nobody: 10:42am On Oct 14, 2015
Mi oga na dis kin thing you dey hide there for Tinapa grin

https://www.nairaland.com/2663674/queenette-awuka-cross-river-most
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 12:46pm On Oct 16, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Mi oga na dis kin thing you dey hide there for Tinapa grin

https://www.nairaland.com/2663674/queenette-awuka-cross-river-most

To be frank, they are a bit commonplace there. I try to avoid them as their request list are often similar; iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Air 2 or the latest Samsung.

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by KolaShangOne(m): 12:50pm On Oct 16, 2015
LondonCool:

To be frank, they are a bit commonplace there. I try to avoid them as their request list are often similar; iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Air 2 or the latest Samsung.

Plus a trip to Dubai grin

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 12:50pm On Oct 16, 2015
I have started to stack up blocks for the next phase. 500 down, 4,800 more to go. I'm buying in instalments in order to have more control over the quality and quantity purchased.

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 4:47pm On Oct 16, 2015
johnson232:

Is there really need to introduce beam all round the foundation if it's more than 5 coach on a dry land? Is your land waterlogged? That will gulp a lot of funds.

According to Structural or Civil Engineering 101 it is recommended to underpin the foundation with a beam (pre-cast concrete) all around after the 4th or 5th layer .

The issue or criteria for inserting beams isn't the waterlogged land but the height of the foundation. When you are filing in a 6,7,8 coaches of foundation with soil for the DPC , there is a tendency for the wall load to push outwards. The whole stretch of wall can even fall down after a couple of years.

It's expensive, but it's better to be safe than to be sorry. I had a sloping land and wasn't going to take any risk with 7-9 coaches of foundation.

3 Likes

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 4:52pm On Oct 16, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Plus a trip to Dubai grin

Actually the cost of a trip to Dubai and a new iPhone 6s Plus (128gb) are the same.

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 9:49pm On Oct 17, 2015
In the beginning...

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 9:51pm On Oct 17, 2015
Keeping the vision alive

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by Nobody: 11:07pm On Oct 17, 2015
LondonCool:
Keeping the vision alive

Sometimes these photos are all we have since we're so far away from our projects.

You are making good progress Sir and I admire your firm discipline on your foundation and I'm borrowing from your tenacity and sticktoitveness.

Congrats on the various milestones on your project.

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 11:24pm On Oct 17, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Sometimes these photos are all we have since we're so far away from our projects.

You are making good progress Sir and I admire your firm discipline on your foundation and I'm borrowing from your tenacity and sticktoitveness.

Congrats on the various milestones on your project.

EgunMogaji,

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. We shall surely execute our projects, no retreat.

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by johnson232: 7:07am On Oct 18, 2015
LondonCool:

According to Structural or Civil Engineering 101 it is recommended to underpin the foundation with a beam (pre-cast concrete) all around after the 4th or 5th layer .

The issue or criteria for inserting beams isn't the waterlogged land but the height of the foundation. When you are filing in a 6,7,8 coaches of foundation with soil for the DPC , there is a tendency for the wall load to push outwards. The whole stretch of wall can even fall down after a couple of years.

It's expensive, but it's better to be safe than to be sorry. I had a sloping land and wasn't going to take any risk with 7-9 coaches of foundation.
My brother thanks for the lecture, I really do appreciate.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by johnson232: 9:15am On Oct 19, 2015
LondonCool:

Sir was the beam at the foundation level introduced on all the walls, both the exterior and interior partition walls? Or it was only on the exterior walls? Thanks.
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 9:07pm On Oct 19, 2015
johnson232:

Sir was the beam at the foundation level introduced on all the walls, both the exterior and interior partition walls? Or it was only on the exterior walls? Thanks.

Hi johnson232,

The beams are normally introduced all round the foundation perimeter (exterior). By this stage the interior walls wouldn't have been partitioned as more coaches of blocks would also be usually added on top of the beam (level).
Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 10:59pm On Feb 08, 2016
Update: I bought an additional 50 x 50 plot next to mine and had to clear the jungle land.

1 Like

Re: Building from the Diaspora: 3 Bedroom Bungalow + Penthouse (2 Rooms) at Calabar by LondonCool(m): 11:01pm On Feb 08, 2016
This is the cleared additional plot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Meet Said Jammal, The Owner Of The Aeroplane House In Abuja / Funny Picture: House With Over 15 Satellite Dishes / Hidden Secrets Of Borehole Drilling, Geo-physical Survey, Water Treatment Etc.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.