Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,264 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage (1926 Views)

The Dilemma Of Inter-tribal Marriage / Reasons Yoruba Men Are Dumping Yoruba Women !!! / Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by money121(m): 5:27pm On Sep 14, 2015
Acceptance of Intermarriage

Inter-tribal marriage and inter-racial marriage are no more new things in the 21st century. Someone from a race or tribe may decide to go for another person different from his or her own orientation. There used to be a time when these types of marriages were seen as a taboo. This is because some races believe that there should not be inter-mixing of blood. This practice is still common in the name of consanguineous marriage. Some royal families have been reported to practise consanguinity.
In some cultures in Nigeria, the daughter does not have a personal choice to decide whom she will get married to. While, there is flexibility in others. For instance, in the Hausa tradition, it is not very easy for a girl child to decide of her own volition her future partner. It is only when her parents, especially her father consents to her choice that she could be given a go-ahead. Even sometimes, it is the father that decides who the girl will get married to.
This is however reducing due to the influence of education and religious teachings.
The nature of the Yoruba family has made the girl child someone with a mind of her own. There is so much flexibility in the Yoruba setting, particularly those that live in towns and cities. Parents do allow their daughters to decide whom their hearts want. This in turn has made these girls to go for men of other tribes when they get to marriageable age. They hardly decline a proposal for marriage even if the man is not a Yoruba.
Some prominent Nigerians who have Yoruba women as wives are numerous. Some even have Yorubas as their mother. The list is endless, but a few would be mentioned to know how much Yoruba women see inter-tribal marriage as a normal thing. The wife of late General Murtala Rahmat Muhammad was a Yoruba. Her name was Ajoke. She was the Head of State’s wife during his reign between 1975 and 1976.
Other distinguished personalities that married Yoruba women include: The late Emir of Kano, Abdullah Ado Bayero; Ex Vice President, Atiku Abubakar; Former Governors of Benue and Bauchi states, Gabriel Suswan and Isa Yuguda respectively. Interestingly, the present governor of Bayelsa state, Seriake Dickson has a Yoruba mother who is an Ijebu from Ogun state.
Yoruba women do have some things going for them which are not easily found in other tribes. Certain things are actually responsible for this.

1. Independently minded
Yoruba women are liberal in their thinking. They have less influence from their parents. This has resulted in a situation whereby it makes rooms available for so much freedom in the choice of whom they decide to marry. If an Igbo man comes to them and shows interest in them, they do not look at his language or tribe. If it is a lady that is ready for marriage, she thinks about it and agrees to marry the man. They fall in love if they believe he is their dream man. This has led to scenarios whereby various women from south-western states marry other men that are not from their region.
According to culture.com, about 20% of Yoruba still practise traditional religion. It can be deduced therefore that 80% who practise different religions are giving their daughters the free will to marry whomsoever they desire.

2. Highly accommodating
Yorubas generally are highly accommodating people. Historically, Yorubas have been at the forefront of the tribes who welcome strangers. They do entertain their guests even if the person is not from a Yoruba-spoken town. This spirit of warmly allowing non-indigenes to live among them is why states like Lagos, Ogun and Oyo have almost all the different tribes of people in Nigeria residing in them. This good quality is not just limited to the men. It is across board.
Yoruba women believe that since they have non-Yorubas among themselves, there is nothing wrong in becoming the wives of men from other tribes. Therefore, a check on inter-tribal marriage has Yoruba women on the top list.

3. Adventure
This reason may come as a surprise. Yoruba women travel a lot. They travel for business, education and other reasons. In doing this, a Yoruba woman who is single before her trip might be fortunate to see a guy she likes.
It is very rare to hear an educated Yoruba lady say she would not marry a man from another tribe. The way she sees Yoruba men is also the same way she sees other men who are not Yoruba. There is no restriction in her choice of husband. She does not have a tribal biased mindset. She is ecstatic when she tells her parents that her fiancée is not Yoruba. She does not believe that this would erode away her culture. If a man who is her suitable taste comes to her, she accepts him. This is because she believes in discovering new things.

See more at: http://www.gistmelove..com/2015/09/reasons-yoruba-women-practise-inter.html

cc.
lalasticlala ishilove

1 Like

Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by Handsomeemmy(m): 5:39pm On Sep 14, 2015
Yoruba people 'hardly' segregate, a friends once told me his best friend and helper is a Yoruba, and the person he hated most is a yoruba man, The friend is from Kaduna and he named his First daughter Motunrayo.

We the Yoruba are very accommodating, it is when some one try to play smart on us that we react and pay them back in their own coin.

Proudly Nigerian,

Proudly Omo Odua Tokan Tokan

1 Like

Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by Cholls(m): 5:40pm On Sep 14, 2015
my brother yoruba women is a No Mans Land na!
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by tpiander: 5:43pm On Sep 14, 2015
Is Richard Mofe Damijo of Yoruba ancestry?

just wondering.

besides, he looks Yoruba.
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by tpiander: 5:45pm On Sep 14, 2015
They hardly decline a proposal for marriage even if the man is not a Yoruba.

says who?

this is relative to context.

Yoruba women generally do not marry outside their tribe, but this tradition is not as pronounced as before due to increased perseverance of non-Yoruba men who are determined to marry or get booty calls/baby mamas from the tribe.

undecided
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by Stillfire: 5:57pm On Sep 14, 2015
Hanhan, this is a lie now.
Yoruba women are very adamant about marrying from their tribe o. I have a lot of stubborn yoruba girls as friends.
Funny thing is Yoruba men don't have such loyalties though, lol.
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by thorpido(m): 6:00pm On Sep 14, 2015
tpiander:

just wondering.

RMD is from Delta state.He married Yoruba though.
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by thorpido(m): 6:03pm On Sep 14, 2015
Stillfire:
Hanhan, this is a lie now.
Yoruba women are very adamant about marrying from their tribe o. I have a lot of stubborn yoruba girls as friends.
Funny thing is Yoruba men don't have such loyalties though, lol.
Most people will choose their tribe as their first option.The Op's article is relative.
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by tpiander: 6:04pm On Sep 14, 2015
thorpido:
RMD is from Delta state.He married Yoruba though.

is he related to Yoruba?
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by Nobody: 7:49pm On Sep 14, 2015
tpiander:

just wondering.

My dear mofe Damijo is From Delta, But his wife his Yoruba, Mode Damijo is from Urhobo - Itsekiri, As usual Itsekiri re always linked with Urhobo, his mom or Dad is from Urhobo..

na wa 4 una oo.. so anybody make bear Yoruba-like name , na Yoruba person..
Names like Ayo, Shola, Waje, Oriste, Wunmi, Omawunmi, Femi, ..... cant list them all are itsekiri names
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by Nobody: 7:50pm On Sep 14, 2015
tpiander:

is he related to Yoruba?
Not in any way related to Yoruba
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by thorpido(m): 8:07pm On Sep 14, 2015
tpiander:

is he related to Yoruba?
He is not,but I guess he might be Itsekiri which explains the name.There's a connection between the Yorubas and Itsekiris.
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by tpiander: 8:12pm On Sep 14, 2015
thorpido:
He is not,but I guess he might be Itsekiri which explains the name.There's a connection between the Yorubas and Itsekiris.

He's Urhobo.
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by thorpido(m): 8:12pm On Sep 14, 2015
Goodboiyy:

My dear mofe Damijo is From Delta, But his wife his Yoruba, Mode Damijo is from Urhobo - Itsekiri, As usual Itsekiri re always linked with Urhobo, his mom or Dad is from Urhobo..

Names like Ayo, Shola, Wale, Oriste, Wunmi, Omawunmi, Femi, ..... cant list them all are itsekiri names, if it happens that Yoruba answer the same name with us its dere biz nt mine
You should actually go and learn history before saying Yorubas bear names with Itsekiris.It should be the other way round.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by thorpido(m): 8:14pm On Sep 14, 2015
tpiander:

He's Urhobo.
Okay.Urhobo/Itsekiris are interwoven.
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by tpiander: 8:18pm On Sep 14, 2015
thorpido:
You should actually go and learn history before saying Yorubas bear names with Itsekiris.It should be the other way round.

he's intentionally trying to ruffle feathers.

i dont think he's Itsekiri, might not even be Nigerian.
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by Haywhymido(m): 8:34pm On Sep 14, 2015
tpiander:

just wondering.

no,he said it
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by Haywhymido(m): 8:36pm On Sep 14, 2015
Yoruba race no be beans i dey always tell people. Still setting the pace since 19bc
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by Nobody: 8:37pm On Sep 14, 2015
tpiander:

he's intentionally trying to ruffle feathers.

i dont think he's Itsekiri, might not even be Nigerian.

@ Bolded Lolz, Really ? actually this is the Second time u re telling me this word ...

Lolz, Can't stop laughing, Is it because I told u mofe is nt Yoruba ? oh pls spare me that,

Pont of Correction am a Nigerian, From Delta
Re: Reasons Yoruba Women Practise Inter-marriage by Haywhymido(m): 8:39pm On Sep 14, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Names like Ayo, Shola, Wale, Oriste, Wunmi, Omawunmi, Femi, ..... cant list them all are itsekiri names, if it happens that Yoruba answer the same name with us its dere biz nt mine
what is dis one saying?? Ayo , shola, wale ,wunmi are itse what Why dont u add ade, bola, ope too.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Who Is To Blame? / Your Little Baby Slaps You! What Will You Do? / Pregnancy Issue - Please I Need URGENT Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.