Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,304 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

Head Transplant Surgery Possible By 2017...neurosurgeon Says. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Head Transplant Surgery Possible By 2017...neurosurgeon Says. (1232 Views)

FMC Umuahia First Kidney Transplant Surgery Was Successful (Photos) / First Successful Head Transplant Carried Out On A Corpse In China / World’s First Successful Head Transplant Operation: Man’s Head Cut Off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Head Transplant Surgery Possible By 2017...neurosurgeon Says. by Uncleodi(m): 9:11pm On Sep 14, 2015
A man set to become the world’s first head transplant patient has scheduled the procedure for December 2017. 30 year old Valery Spiridonov was diagnosed with a genetic muscle-wasting condition called Werdnig-Hoffmann disease, and volunteered for the procedure despite the risks involved, Central European News (CEN) reported.

“When I realized that I could participate in something really big and important, I had no doubt left in my mind and started to work in this direction,” Spiridonov, a Russian computer scientist, told CEN. “The only thing I feel is the sense of pleasant impatience, like I have been preparing for something important all my life and it is starting to happen.”
Dr. Sergio Canavero, an Italian neurosurgeon, will perform the procedure on Spiridonov. The procedure is expected to last up to 36 hours, and it will require Spiridonov’s head to be cooled as well as the donor’s body to extend the period during which the cells can survive without oxygen.

“According to Canavero’s calculations, if everything goes to plan, two years is the time frame needed to verify all scientific calculations and plan the procedure’s details,” Spiridonov. “It isn’t a race. No doubt, the surgery will be done once the doctor and the experts are 99 percent sure of its success.”
Spiridonov joked that first thing he plans to do after the procedure is go on a vacation.
“But on a serious note, this operation is aimed at restoring independence of severely disabled people. Once I get it back I’ll see what the life of a healthier person looks like,” he said

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_transplant
Re: Head Transplant Surgery Possible By 2017...neurosurgeon Says. by ifeoluwasegun(m): 9:13pm On Sep 14, 2015
Lurbish!
Re: Head Transplant Surgery Possible By 2017...neurosurgeon Says. by Uncleodi(m): 9:25pm On Sep 14, 2015
ifeoluwasegun:
Lurbish!

This is highly applaudable..it is an innovation in surgery. Just imagine having an amputated limbs following an accident or that you are cripple.. A head transplant could make you bounce back.

Cc: lalasticlala
Re: Head Transplant Surgery Possible By 2017...neurosurgeon Says. by ifeoluwasegun(m): 9:33pm On Sep 14, 2015
Uncleodi:

This is highly applaudable..it is an innovation in surgery. Just imagine having an amputated limbs following an accident or that you are crippled.. A head transplant could make you bounce back.

Cc: lalastica

Lets assume its okay.

Then someone has an accident, had some parts amputated, are you now guessing his entire head is gonna b transplanted on another sane/insane body?? Or on a dead body? Or the amputated part is restored?

BTW... What's the assurance that the life remains safe when the head is scattered in an accident?

Sorry op, I don't seem to get many things, pls kindly explain well.

1 Like

Re: Head Transplant Surgery Possible By 2017...neurosurgeon Says. by Uncleodi(m): 10:08pm On Sep 14, 2015
A head transplant is a surgical operation which involves the grafting of one organism's head onto the body of another. It should not be confused with another, hypothetical, surgical operation, the brain transplant. Head transplantation involves decapitating the patient. Although it has been successfully performed using dogs, monkeys and rats, no human is known to have undergone the procedure. But a big one is on the way come December 2017...international agencies are already donating towards the success of the surgery. .

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Check this out:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/chinese-surgeon-who-has-performed-1000-head-transplants-on-mice-wants-to-create-the-first-headtransplanted-monkey-that-can-live-at-least-for-a-little-while-10304115.html
Re: Head Transplant Surgery Possible By 2017...neurosurgeon Says. by Leobrain(m): 10:13pm On Sep 14, 2015
Dat's a big move. That means come December 2017, some nairalanders will have their senses back and stop reasoning like fishers. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Natural Ways To Make Your Lips Pink / Want A Good Night's Sleep? Find Out Which Colours You Should Use In The Bedroom / How To Clean A Baby's Umbilical Cord To Fall Off Within 7 Days After Birth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.