Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:58 AM

What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch (27091 Views)

Adetunji Becomes 41st Olubadan Of Ibadanland-the Punch / Ooni, Oba Aromolaran May Clash Over Osun Monarchs Council- Punch / How The Yoruba Can Deal With The Igbo....azuka Onwuka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Sacramento4real(m): 8:51pm On Sep 15, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Erriga got tat Line... ur street mentor.. Lolz,
Bro, I gbadun dat guy dye.D guy gada flows full mouth. I gat a lot of his songs on my device.
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by LilPeezy(m): 8:58pm On Sep 15, 2015
Proudly Deltan
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Armaggedon: 8:59pm On Sep 15, 2015
dhc:

I bear an ibo name unfortunately, but I'm from Ika "Agbor" in Delta.The person you are trying to correct is more accurate than you in miles.The statement in bold is wrong.I am not ibo and would NEVER EVER EVER like to be regarded as a part of that disgustingly accented and crafty tribe.
yoloba maggot you have started again.
Igbos are chasing your agbero brothers out of lagos and you are here calling yourself a Delta indigene.

6 Likes

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by IkembaCMD(m): 8:59pm On Sep 15, 2015
Nice write up

Proudly Deltan, though i didn't grow up there...
Ibuza rocks...........................................
Oshimili-North
Ndigbo kwenu!

May them sha pay our Bursary fast fast...

7 Likes

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by ddefoe: 9:01pm On Sep 15, 2015
aduje:

Sir/ma, please read the post again and again. You will find out the point the post is making. It is not about the achievement of individuals. The delta man or woman is unique.
...point of correction, a man or woman in delta who speaks ibo and bear igbos name will never accept being called an ibo person. There is a thick difference between the both side of the Niger river. If you are not from that region, please find out. Go to Asaba for instance and see how an Asaba or Ibusa person will address an Igbo man from Onitsha.
chairman I don't know where u got ur idea but I am Deltan Ibo and I am proud of my Ibo identity so is every Delta Ibo man.Delta is a geographical expression and Ibo is my nation bestowed on me by God and nobody can take it away so stop misinforming the public about Ibo Delta people thank u

10 Likes

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Nobody: 9:03pm On Sep 15, 2015
onuwaje:

Omere mi.. boko onuwe tse ghan sin?

Add up on bbm
2AFF995E

noted, I will add u as soon as I install bbm on my new phone.

Heard u were posted to Enugu 4 ur NYSC?, Flex Enugu tight oo, They got fine chicks too, Nor dull base on Warri blood make dey ur body... Lolz...
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 15, 2015
Sacramento4real:

Bro, I gbadun dat guy dye.D guy gada flows full mouth. I gat a lot of his songs on my device.

he his free. I remember my experience with him last yr, d guy clap me reach 3times tat day, maybe he his high dunn0, but I do listen to his track
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by osothermal(m): 9:12pm On Sep 15, 2015
lezz:
The Edo tribes are almost intelligible in language and have no direct sea to foreigners/Europeans. So how did you originated pidgin?

Your claims would have been ridiculous if it wasn't so sad and empty undecided
check your history the first europeans(Portuguese) to come to nigeria came to Benin kingdom pigin english was introduced by the british to break down the english language for the Obas and his chiefs to understand dats why its also called broken english but am not disputing the fact that waffarians modified the language after all we were togeda

*proud bendel boy
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by LKO(m): 9:15pm On Sep 15, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Nt every comment u quote brov.. u just ignore some mad people, Na NL u dey, Its usual

Asap

I read d distasteful story of d sadist and I sincerely believe d fool would commit suicide sooner than later.

Proudly a deltan till thy Kingdom come. Proudly a warri pickin. Nor be mistake, God ordained it so.
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Onegai(f): 9:20pm On Sep 15, 2015
Proudly Deltan, married Delta, keeping the bloodlines pure cool

For those Ika with Igbo names, please check History: our grandparents answered names corresponding to Bini. But by the mid-60s, when Deltans came to Lagos, they didn't want to be a small group and named their children Igbo names and joined Igbo communities. My 104 year old grandmother and Father mapped our family tree and showed me all the names and explained this to me. So with your kids, find old Ika names like Utomi, Irabor, Isioma, Osadebey, Sombiri, Bienose, Arimolo, Onyiwelehim, Ikubor, Mekihien, Nosareme, Eronime, Erumoh, Nwaka, Ahagbulem, Ehimen, Iziegbe, Eterumeh etc and keep our traditions alive and pure.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by komek(m): 9:20pm On Sep 15, 2015
Ymodulus:
Typing...

I expected you to outline the corruption characteristics of deltans.

1. Ex Governor of Delta state (Uduaghan) Budgeted 7.4Billion Naira for clearing grasses , shrubs , sands and trees around Asaba Airport.

2. Ex Delta Governor James Ibori has a high breaking corruption record. He stole a large amount.

3. Delta is the only state where 9 out of every 10 persons are billionaires yet there is nothing to show for it.

Finally its not about just calling big names. What have they achieved? How have the impacted on the masses.

With the high number of so called millionaires and famous names in the likes of

Francis Atuche ( Nigeria renowned Fraudstar )
Pat Utomi ( who was labelled a fake igbo when he wanted to contest the 2007 election by same igbo who want to call deltans theirs )
Pat. okorocha ( Current governor is a mouth maker )
Prof. Joseph Chike Edozien, CFR, JP, the Asagba
(traditional ruler) of Asaba - the oldest professor in Nigeria alive ( And what did he contribute? )
* Chief. Sonny Iwedike Odogwu, A Great Business Mogul ( Been a business man with no impact of his business on the people of Delta state )
* Dr. Andrew Azukaego Moemeka ( just a space blocker )
* Dr. Cyril Uchenna Gwam, Diplomat, international civil servant and international environmentalist ( environmentalist? Can't stop laughing where was he during the oil spilling and the Ken sawo wiwa case )
* Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, the current Managing Director of World Bank ( this one ruined our economy to shambles )
* Dr Elizabeth Isichei, prominent historian ( historian who don't want to tell you the real history of deltans )
* Dr. Isaac Nwaise, Epidemiologist and health economist
* Air-Marshal Paul Dike, former Chief of Defence Staff of Nigeria ( This is the same man igbos shouted is not a real igbo. After he was appointed and Mike okiro was to be made IGP igbos recounted their mistakes )
* Professor Augustine Onwuyali Esogbue, The only African included in NASA and Scientist ( Stop claiming he is an African he has no impact on deltans. Him been a Nasan adds nothing to Delta state. Or when last have your government spent money on space research? )
* Professor Buchi Emecheta, London Based Author ( So what is his article )
* Chukwurah Joseph Udeh OFR, Former Comptroller-General Nigerian Immigration Service ( you mean the man who hiked and changed several legal happenings in the custom services?)
* Prof Eric Opia, Former Governorship candidate of Delta State ( No impact )
* Mr Jim Ovia, M/D Zenith Bank ( MD my foot. Go to Ibusa the only bank there is that brought in by former MD of PHB bank who was sacked for fraud by the erudite scholar sanusi lamido sanusi. Seasoned economist
* Prof. Joy Ogwu, Former Mangaging Director of Nigeria Institute of International Affairs
* Professor Pat Utomi, Presidential Candidate and Founder of Lagos Business School ( he is the only deltan with a for sight who has made it. But igbos rejected him even after been married to an eastern wife )
* Tony Elumelu, MD of United Bank for AfricaAfrica ( Bank know for high rates and low ccare service is this an achievement? )

* Austine "Jay-Jay Okocha, Former Captain of Super Eagles of Nigeria ( how did is carrier ended with the super eagles? Because of 10million with defunct Savannah bank )
* Sunday Oliseh, Former Captain of super Eagles of Nigeria ( who is this one self. Nigerian present coach? What's are his achievement ? )

Nothing absolutely nothing to show for. Go to the south west and pick examples. Learn from seasoned activist , politicians, business men and technocrats etc.

Must u comment?

2 Likes

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by onuwaje(m): 9:23pm On Sep 15, 2015
Goodboiyy:

noted, I will add u as soon as I install bbm on my new phone.

Heard u were posted to Enugu 4 ur NYSC?, Flex Enugu tight oo, They got fine chicks too, Nor dull base on Warri blood make dey ur body... Lolz...
Posting na next month we never knw where we dey. Go
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Duru1(m): 9:25pm On Sep 15, 2015
Ymodulus:
Typing...

1. Ex Governor of Delta state (Uduaghan) Budgeted 7.4Billion Naira for clearing grasses , shrubs , sands and trees around Asaba Airport.

2. Ex Delta Governor James Ibori has a high breaking corruption record. He stole a large amount.

3. Delta is the only state where 9 out of every 10 persons are billionaires yet there is nothing to show for it.

Finally its not about just calling big names. What have they achieved? How have the impacted on the masses.

Pat Utomi ( who was labelled a fake igbo when he wanted to contest the 2007 election by same igbo who want to call deltans theirs )
(traditional ruler) of Asaba - the oldest professor in Nigeria alive ( And what did he contribute? )
* Chief. Sonny Iwedike Odogwu, A Great Business Mogul ( Been a business man with no impact of his business on the people of Delta state )
* Dr. Cyril Uchenna Gwam, Diplomat, international civil servant and international environmentalist ( environmentalist? Can't stop laughing where was he during the oil spilling and the Ken sawo wiwa case )
* Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, the current Managing Director of World Bank ( this one ruined our economy to shambles )
* Dr Elizabeth Isichei, prominent historian ( historian who don't want to tell you the real history of deltans )
* Air-Marshal Paul Dike, former Chief of Defence Staff of Nigeria ( This is the same man igbos shouted is not a real igbo. After he was appointed and Mike okiro was to be made IGP igbos recounted their mistakes )
* Professor Augustine Onwuyali Esogbue, The only African included in NASA and Scientist ( Stop claiming he is an African he has no impact on deltans. Him been a Nasan adds nothing to Delta state. Or when last have your government spent money on space research? )
* Chukwurah Joseph Udeh OFR, Former Comptroller-General Nigerian Immigration Service ( you mean the man who hiked and changed several legal happenings in the custom services?)
* Mr Jim Ovia, M/D Zenith Bank ( MD my foot. Go to Ibusa the only bank there is that brought in by former MD of PHB bank who was sacked for fraud by the erudite scholar sanusi lamido sanusi. Seasoned economist
* Prof. Joy Ogwu, Former Mangaging Director of Nigeria Institute of International Affairs
* Professor Pat Utomi, Presidential Candidate and Founder of Lagos Business School ( he is the only deltan with a for sight who has made it. But igbos rejected him even after been married to an eastern wife )
* Tony Elumelu, MD of United Bank for AfricaAfrica ( Bank know for high rates and low ccare service is this an achievement? )

* Austine "Jay-Jay Okocha, Former Captain of Super Eagles of Nigeria ( how did is carrier ended with the super eagles? Because of 10million with defunct Savannah bank )
* Sunday Oliseh, Former Captain of super Eagles of Nigeria ( who is this one self. Nigerian present coach? What's are his achievement ? )

Nothing absolutely nothing to show for. Go to the south west and pick examples. Learn from seasoned activist , politicians, business men and technocrats etc.

Ndiigbo do not leave the sons and daughters in a faraway land even when the pride price of their mothers has not been finalized. There has never been a time where Ndiigbo insinuated that Ndiigbo anywhere are not Igbo. Instead, people like Sunday Oliseh who are spurred on by deceitful scumbags from the western and northern part of Nigeria will foolishly express their doubts about being Igbo.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Sacramento4real(m): 9:26pm On Sep 15, 2015
Goodboiyy:

he his free. I remember my experience with him last yr, d guy clap me reach 3times tat day, maybe he his high dunn0, but I do listen to his track
Very free dude o. One thing I love about him is that, he is not ashamed of his past. He sing of his dirty past, like he is still a notorious guy, but he has really changed. If not for his hard lyrics, the guy would have gone far . Radios can't play his music cos of the obscenities. I always love his rhymes.
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Duru1(m): 9:28pm On Sep 15, 2015
Onegai:
Proudly Deltan, married Delta, keeping the bloodlines pure cool

For those Ika with Igbo names, please check History: our grandparents answered names corresponding to Bini. But by the mid-60s, when Deltans came to Lagos, they didn't want to be a small group and named their children Igbo names and joined Igbo communities. My 104 year old grandmother and Father mapped our family tree and showed me all the names and explained this to me. So with your kids, find old Ika names like Utomi, Irabor, Isioma, Osadebey, Sombiri, Bienose, Arimolo, Onyiwelehim, Ikubor, Mekihien, Nosareme, Eronime, Erumoh, Nwaka, Ahagbulem, Ehimen, Iziegbe, Eterumeh etc and keep our traditions alive and pure.

What is the meaning of UTOMI in Edo? You sounded like a sucker.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by lezz(m): 9:44pm On Sep 15, 2015
dhc:

I bear an ibo name unfortunately, but I'm from Ika "Agbor" in Delta.The person you are trying to correct is more accurate than you in miles.The statement in bold is wrong.I am not ibo and would NEVER EVER EVER like to be regarded as a part of that disgustingly accented and crafty tribe.
Drop your emotions aside, it hampers your comprehension and logic. Firstly, I said most western/Delta Igbos are of the same stock with Onitsha igbos. I didn't say all delta igbos.

You are from Ika? Ika is NOT PART OF EZE CHIMA.

Iselle-uku

Ogwashi-ukwu

Onicha-Olona

Onicha-Ugbo

Onicha-Ukwu
Obior
Onicha-ado/mmiri (Onitsha)

To name but a few are all from EZE Chima. Let me add to your shocker: The Obi of Onitsha comes to Obior/Onicha-Ugbo every other year for traditional rites for all EZE Chimas.

In 2013, the tree of the shrine had a branch cut off and planted in Onitsha to ease the yearly travels and journeys of this rituals.

Study the history of Anioma which Ika is a part of and do not allow sentiments of the igbos to becloud your judgement.

2 Likes

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Uncleodi(m): 9:53pm On Sep 15, 2015
I am from Ebonyi but I live in Delta... it has been awesome, a good place aside their violence.

1 Like

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by wtfCode: 9:53pm On Sep 15, 2015
that's because they are biafrans. All biafrans whether in the south or east shares this traits. Its like asking, why do northerners look thin or slim? Why do all yorubas open their mouth wide? U see op, blood never lies.

3 Likes

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by lezz(m): 9:58pm On Sep 15, 2015
osothermal:
check your history the first europeans(Portuguese) to come to nigeria came to Benin kingdom pigin english was introduced by the british to break down the english language for the Obas and his chiefs to understand dats why its also called broken english but am not disputing the fact that waffarians modified the language after all we were togeda

*proud bendel boy
I happened to graduate in Uniben, stayed in hall 3 in first year, ekosodi in second year and BDPA till schooling. Edo speaks their native language as their FIRST LANGUAGE.

The British don't break down English for anyone. You either speak it as they do or you adopt to how you understand it. Both the British and the Portuguese came by sea; Bini has no sea.

Again most tribes in Edo understand each other so they didn't need adopt pidgin English when they had to communicate with one another. Till today , they still speak their languages first before pidgin......and their pidgin is so heavy and less fluent with so many tribal accents making in road into it.

Delta on the other part has over 5 tribes who don't understand each other. Warri alone is indigenous to 3 tribes and it has an outlet to sea which made early Portuguese and British to domicile their.

So today, in Warri, even between people of same tribe, pidgin is the first language and the only language the 3 tribes of Ijaw, Itsekiri, Urhobo can communicate in.
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by lezz(m): 10:23pm On Sep 15, 2015
Duru1:

What is the meaning of UTOMI in Edo? You sounded like a sucker.
In my opinion, like every other tribe that shares boundary with another tribe, it loses and imbibes some of its neighbour's cultures. It is what happened to Agbor. Like some villages in Abia and Imo states will share names with some aka ibom/ Calabar names, so did Ika share some names with Edo.

But its culture and names are more Igbo than Edo.

1 Like

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by lordtriplee(m): 10:32pm On Sep 15, 2015
Ymodulus:
Typing...

Oshare, u dull gan!

Why can't you just shift and pretend you didn't see a good thing. Too negative!

No state is perfect but I love my Delta. I need to know the state you hail from.

I have just wasted 5mins of my life replying to your idiocy.
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by 5starmilitant: 10:35pm On Sep 15, 2015
osothermal:
you are a wafarian and proudly biafra? Guy u dey Bleep up they need to check you

You no see *in advance* abi? Abeg go purchase ur diploma form for uselu psychiatric institution sharply.

1 Like

Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by LOUIS6(m): 10:36pm On Sep 15, 2015
vivaciousvivi:
Up Delta..repping Asaba toh bhad! cheesy

See my Asaba sis o cheesy

Proudly Delta...

Who no come.. no go know
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by babs01(m): 10:37pm On Sep 15, 2015
Thank God I no be deltan
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by demarc001: 10:41pm On Sep 15, 2015
The biggest big heart!

Make I identify Proud to be one
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Mbediogu(m): 10:50pm On Sep 15, 2015
mayorkyzo:
Proudly delta... grin...

Up Delta. They turned their plurality to advantage just like the USA. Nigeria should learn from them.
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by vhykeeytor(m): 11:02pm On Sep 15, 2015
Ymodulus:
Typing...

just mention a state in the south west with so much achievement. Only a state and lets do the comparison.

u wan come mumu ursef on line abi? Kontinue!
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 15, 2015
Ymodulus:
Typing...

What did your parents achieve and what impact did their achievements have on the people?
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by themharcqk(m): 11:22pm On Sep 15, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Omi iweerre Dede oo oo.. brother come home Jor, We all of una hide put self, na only 1 Iweere boy I get as frnd on NL (Waje)

Proudly Deltan
Proudly Nigerian
I fuu grann remain... Omere mo wuno..
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by osothermal(m): 11:23pm On Sep 15, 2015
lezz:
I happened to graduate in Uniben, stayed in hall 3 in first year, ekosodi in second year and BDPA till schooling. Edo speaks their native language as their FIRST LANGUAGE.

The British don't break down English for anyone. You either speak it as they do or you adopt to how you understand it. Both the British and the Portuguese came by sea; Bini has no sea.

Again most tribes in Edo understand each other so they didn't need adopt pidgin English when they had to communicate with one another. Till today , they still speak their languages first before pidgin......and their pidgin is so heavy and less fluent with so many tribal accents making in road into it.

Delta on the other part has over 5 tribes who don't understand each other. Warri alone is indigenous to 3 tribes and it has an outlet to sea which made early Portuguese and British to domicile their.

So today, in Warri, even between people of same tribe, pidgin is the first language and the only language the 3 tribes of Ijaw, Itsekiri, Urhobo can communicate in.
what is this one saying? The first european to xplore in nigeria came to benin in 1485. In the 15th to 19th century the benin empire was dominant in nigeria its dominance reached eko later named lagos by the Portuguese itsekiri, ijaw and urhobo were part of d kingdom headed by Oba Eware the Great so I don't understand d sea port you are asking and for ur info Edo has more than five major tribes which include bini,Esan, owan, etsako and igarra and they don't understand each other I know for those that realy know benin will testify dat pidgin is the first and common language dere .am not sure uve crossed uselu its just school - hostel and mayb church
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by allgoodlight(m): 11:30pm On Sep 15, 2015
Imperfection is indeed a physio-psychological disorder differ from person to person hi my deltans brothers and sisters let us relatively(some deserves reply) ignore some negative coments about our state the most rare-gem state in Nigeria believe it or not yet i like all 9ja state but delta i love proudly abraka/ndukwa.
Re: What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch by Felimax(m): 11:33pm On Sep 15, 2015
Proudly Deltan, proudly wafarian. I wish to state emphatically that the beauty of Delta state is the ability of us all to demonstrate true love & acceptance irrespective of our ethnic differences. Please my dear brothers this thread is lengthy because we concentrate more on our differences bt if only we can concentrate more on our similarities you will see that Delta state alone is capable of been bigger than Nigeria in so many ramifications.

We must come to the round table and discuss, discover & diffuse a new path for our collective dreams, aspirations & predicament. Delta state is a state you will always love because take it or leave it there is so much drop of greatness in every individual tribe. The cultures & life style you can't find it anywhere in the word, from food to fun, women to men Deltas rocks. Even when there was crises & opposite tribes were killing each other relationships & marriages were still going on. As for me I love my Delta & look forward to the day I will go back home to keep enjoying my solid customize fresh fish bangs soup in clay pot, roasted to Delta state standard with starch n some cool bottles of origin to cool my temper. I beg make una help me ask dem,. Who dem help?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Yoruba Peeps, Kini Oriki Ilu Re? / Photos Of Oba Elegushi, Ooni Of Ife And Oluwo Of Iwo Land / I Remain Ologbotsere - Ayiri Emami Dares Ruling House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.