Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,171 members, 7,825,658 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

The Aireginan Dream: A Novel - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Aireginan Dream: A Novel (4077 Views)

Poll: Rate this story on a scale of 1 to 4

4 (Very Good): 50% (10 votes)
3 (Good): 40% (8 votes)
2 (Fair): 5% (1 vote)
1 (Poor): 5% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / The Game He Lost (A Novel). / End Of The Road (a Novel) Chapter 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by newera(f): 8:02pm On Oct 05, 2006
I've just completed a novel called The Aireginan Dream. It's about a fictional African country which has similar challenges to the ones we have, and how they were able to start the process of change.

I'll like to have comments from anyone who has read it. There's a sample chapter on my website.
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by Seun(m): 7:07am On Oct 06, 2006
Here's a direct link to the first chapter of your story:
http://www.dupeolorunjo.com/downloads/dream_Chapter_1.pdf

Wow, the name of that country is long and hard to remember, but I love your website.

(I'm yet to read the story beyond the first paragraph but I'm sure it's good)
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by Orikinla(m): 1:09am On Oct 07, 2006
newera:

I've just completed a novel called The Aireginan Dream. It's about a fictional African country which has similar challenges to the ones we have, and how they were able to start the process of change.

I'll like to have comments from anyone who has read it. There's a sample chapter on my website.

I have taken time to read your prose and if what I have read so far is the same with the following chapters of your novel, then you have a well written narrative to be proud of.

My best recommendation is that you should submit the first three chapters for the Caine Prize. Because, if you get shortlisted, your genius would be discovered by the reputable publishers who discovered Ben Okri and Helon Habila.

Two words to describe your prose.
lucid and vivid.

Well done and God bless.
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by NSNA: 3:08pm On Oct 07, 2006
the content of your novel is uncomfortable reality rather than fiction. your description is great. after reading the little on your website, i would say this story should get the highest rating 4 out of 4 or 100%.
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by nilla(f): 6:06pm On Oct 07, 2006
Newera,

very good opening chapter.
It sounds so much like Nigeria.

keep up the good work.
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by Chinie(f): 8:21pm On Oct 07, 2006
that's a compelling story.u r really good.big ups to you
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by loma(m): 11:21pm On Oct 07, 2006
Seun,
The name of the country is Nigeria spelt backwards (nigeria-Airegin).
Good work!
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by Seun(m): 8:32am On Oct 08, 2006
"Nigerian" would have been better. An difficult title makes a book harder to sell. That's a fact.

Unless the book is full of allegations against dangerous politicians or religions, "Nigerian" is better.
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by loma(m): 4:55am On Oct 09, 2006
I prefer the title she used. It adds to the buzz of the novel and leaves people saying-what she is describing in this novel is just like whats happening in Nigeria, rather than her taking the feeling out by using plain 'Nigerian' .
I stand to be corrected.
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by Seun(m): 7:17am On Oct 09, 2006
Ok, I guess you may be right. As long as I can cut and paste the name electronically, it's ok!

Even if we can't remember the name of the book, we can remember the name of the author. wink
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by Christino(m): 8:58am On Oct 09, 2006
I must confess this author is going places, WoW, her descriptive ability is superb (and the use of commas too). I like it - Keep it up, I hope 2 be @ d launching (plus d lunching) - he he.

Thank God I've gone back to my reading habits, I could never write such a comprehensive essay in decades!

I should rate it 5 of 4.
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by newera(f): 8:54am On Oct 10, 2006
I must say thanks, to all who have taken time to read the sample chapter. (I believe that if you take the time to write and someone graciously takes the time to read, then you should be appreciative.)

Orikinla - Thanks for taking the extra step of offering some tips that could be useful to me from your experience. i have noted all of them and will implement immediately.

Seun - On the choice of the title. I had a hard time taking this decision. One of my options actually threw up about 5 different titles when i tried to screen it through Amazon. I did think of The Nigerian Dream but discarded that for a number of reasons - 1) It sounded quite ordinary 2) This is my dream for Nigeria. But it's not good enough if i dream alone. I felt that what would take us to the promised land is a collective vision. 3) I needed a name that will spark some curiousity and make a prosective reader pick up the book from a crowd of possibly a thousand other titles in a bookshop, and hold it a little bit longer. 4) You may not be able to pronouce it properly at the first attempt, but i promise, the names grows on you - I've seen that happen already.

And there is a moment when you feel you have conquered. Just like Loma who was able to decode the origin of the name.

Seun, It's great when a man does something new. You have done a great job here. Nigeria is blessed with great talent. I pray many more of us will actually find a way to put it to use to make a difference.
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by mobol(f): 3:06pm On Oct 17, 2006
I have read the Aireginan dream and it was truly worth my time. It’s a book that will keep you reading through the pages till you get to the last page.
Beyond this, it’s a book that can birth in you a vision for a new nation, a new project of a forgotten dream.
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by Seun(m): 3:10pm On Oct 17, 2006
I think I want to buy the novel. Maybe one day we will be talking about movie rights. Proud of ya. wink
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by naija4life(f): 12:44pm On Nov 16, 2006
I have not read the novel and may not still but judging from the encomiums from respectable members of this forum, i can rightly guess the content is good, kudos then and keep it up
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by Queen1(f): 1:55pm On Nov 16, 2006
Good job! i cant wait to read the novel!With talents like you we will soon have people to replace Prof.Wole Soyinka!
more grease
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by osegwu(m): 4:17pm On Nov 16, 2006
Nice piece lady. is there a way to get the full story?.
Please, intimate me.
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by Rubbermaid(f): 4:05am On Nov 17, 2006
Nice work! I agree that you should enter for awards that will clearly provide the acclaim that this novel deserves.
I have read, and enjoyed "Purple Hibiscus" - by Chiamanda Ngozi Adichie who won the Orange Prize award, and others, this Aireginan Dream makes Purple Hibiscus pale in comparison.

I give books to all my friends for christmas, and this is definitely my pick for this year. Thank you!! - I look forward to more. The sampling was a mind-stimulating delight - and uses a refreshing approach to known problems too! Cool. Glad we can also purchase it easily online. - smart woman. wink Once ordered 5 books from a publisher in Naija who said it would cost $138 to ship what cost me $35 to buy. Ridiculous!

I see that it's available on Barnes and Nobles, as well as Amazon. Nice! Just curious about who your publishers are here. Did you make a change, and if so was there any push to change the cover? Just curious. I noticed a couple novels from Africa seem to change publishers in international markets - and typically, it seems like the design of the cover typically change too. I like both covers - the one you have on your site, and the one on Barnes and Noble but I'd like to get your insights.

LASTLY (Promise) wink
Not sure how to get to Oprahs book Club list, or the NY Times bestsellers list but you may want to scour the web on how. If you make it there you will be so golden (you already are - but you know what I mean(?). I keep up with O's list via a book club and I am comfortable that your novel (thus far) will unabashedly feel at home on the list.

Good luck, and God bless!
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by lioness(f): 9:37am On Nov 17, 2006
i hate reading tongue
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by Mystique(f): 12:34pm On Nov 17, 2006
Where can i get this book? (it had better be worth the while o!)
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by newera(f): 2:22pm On Nov 17, 2006
Mystique:

Where can i get this book? (it had better be worth the while o!)

It's available at Glendora Falomo; Numetro @ Silverbird Galleria (Victoria Island); and a few other bookshops in Lagos listed on my website. It is also available on line at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Tesco etc.

I too hope you have an enjoyable read
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by newera(f): 2:34pm On Nov 17, 2006
Rubbermaid:

Nice work! I agree that you should enter for awards that will clearly provide the acclaim that this novel deserves.
I have read, and enjoyed "Purple Hibiscus" - by Chiamanda Ngozi Adichie who won the Orange Prize award, and others, this Aireginan Dream makes Purple Hibiscus pale in comparison.

I give books to all my friends for christmas, and this is definitely my pick for this year. Thank you!! - I look forward to more. The sampling was a mind-stimulating delight - and uses a refreshing approach to known problems too! Cool. Glad we can also purchase it easily online. - smart woman. wink Once ordered 5 books from a publisher in Naija who said it would cost $138 to ship what cost me $35 to buy. Ridiculous!

I see that it's available on Barnes and Nobles, as well as Amazon. Nice! Just curious about who your publishers are here. Did you make a change, and if so was there any push to change the cover? Just curious. I noticed a couple novels from Africa seem to change publishers in international markets - and typically, it seems like the design of the cover typically change too. I like both covers - the one you have on your site, and the one on Barnes and Noble but I'd like to get your insights.

LASTLY (Promise) wink
Not sure how to get to Oprahs book Club list, or the NY Times bestsellers list but you may want to scour the web on how. If you make it there you will be so golden (you already are - but you know what I mean(?). I keep up with O's list via a book club and I am comfortable that your novel (thus far) will unabashedly feel at home on the list.

Good luck, and God bless!

I truly appreciate all your kind words.

On the issue of the cover, the foreign publisher has its own policy on design. They requested for a soft copy of the book, chose their own design and formatted the whole interior of the book to conform with their standards. They also put in a bar code which is essential for sale in bookshops abroad. They've actually done a good job in making it available on the web.
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by Ezenwenyi(m): 6:03pm On Nov 18, 2006
Very nice one you have there.If only the rest chapters will be as interesting and suspending as the chapter one then i think i would like to write your preface.Keep it up.You are a good writer and i don't need anyone to tell me that.Cheers!
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by hammah(m): 12:11am On Nov 20, 2006
a nice work.i am so impress with your work on this.i hope you kept the tempo till the end cos the end of this book will be the decider, if the writer holds on to the tempo and intrigues!!! cool cool cooltoo lovely.i must look for it.pls this is my e-mail:hammahsmith@yahoo.com
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by lioness(f): 8:48am On Nov 20, 2006
shocked
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by hotangel2(f): 5:02am On Nov 21, 2006
I would appreciate it if you get this book on Amazon Fast.

I want to buy it. I love the first chapter. Good Job. Wow. . . . This is really a good Job.

I'd like to read your first book too.
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by lioness(f): 8:47am On Nov 21, 2006
undecided
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by newera(f): 1:29pm On Nov 21, 2006
hot-angel:

I would appreciate it if you get this book on Amazon Fast.

I want to buy it. I love the first chapter. Good Job. Wow. . . . This is really a good Job.

I'd like to read your first book too.

I'm glad you like it. The Aireginan Dream is already available on Amazon; Barnes and Noble; Tesco UK.
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by hotangel2(f): 5:45am On Nov 22, 2006
I searched for it on amazon and it came out with no result. sad
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by newera(f): 8:44am On Nov 22, 2006
hot-angel:

I searched for it on amazon and it came out with no result. sad

Hi, there's a direct link on my website www.dupeolorunjo.com
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by lioness(f): 1:11pm On Nov 22, 2006
kool cheesy
Re: The Aireginan Dream: A Novel by lioness(f): 8:53am On Nov 24, 2006

(1) (2) (Reply)

. / Touching Sad Stories / My Father My Worst Enemy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.