Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

Did God Lie In Exodus 3 18 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did God Lie In Exodus 3 18 (1175 Views)

Billy Graham Becomes Fourth Citizen To 'lie In Honor' At US Capitol / What Holly Book Bible Says In Exodus 22:20 And What Holly Quran 60:8 Says. / Why Did God Create The Tree Of Good and evil If He Didn't Want Man To Sin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did God Lie In Exodus 3 18 by answerspls: 8:15pm On Sep 15, 2015
PLS ANSWER WITH FACT NOT JUST YES OR NO. THANKS
Re: Did God Lie In Exodus 3 18 by zube01(m): 8:17pm On Sep 15, 2015
Pls quote what is written there nd what made u think He lied
Re: Did God Lie In Exodus 3 18 by didfy: 8:35pm On Sep 15, 2015
Have you heard of Philip airline(my personal term)? If not read Acts 8:36 it will tell you that everything is possible

Your just seeing God with natural eye meanwhile be polite if you want to learn
I dont want to say much but "open your spiritual eyes if you wish"

Nite
Re: Did God Lie In Exodus 3 18 by MuttleyLaff: 10:09pm On Sep 15, 2015
zube01:
Pls quote what is written there nd what made u think He lied
"The elders of Israel will accept your message.
Then you and the elders must go to the king of Egypt and tell him,
'The LORD, the God of the Hebrews, has met with us.
So please let us take a three-day journey into the wilderness to offer sacrifices to the LORD, our God.'
- Exodus 3:18
Re: Did God Lie In Exodus 3 18 by MuttleyLaff: 10:16pm On Sep 15, 2015
answerspls:
To show Moses what God had previously told him about Pharaoh and to prove Pharaoh wouldnt play ball, the small test in Exodus 3:18 was put to Pharaoh
- give them 3 days off was what is to kick the ball rolling and let the game start

Shey pesin wey no fit borrow una five naira, hin go fit dash una ten naira? Na that be Pharaoh's case
So No, God did not lie, it was a test ooo and Pharaoh woefully failed this small first test
Re: Did God Lie In Exodus 3 18 by Scholar8200(m): 10:55pm On Sep 15, 2015
answerspls:
NO He didn't! He is not a man.
Read Exodus 3:18 and compare with Exodus 4:30,31 and Exodus 5:1.
One thing you will notice is that the word is ' go and sacrifice' not 'go and return afterwards'
See the clarification in Exodus 8:1, ''let My people go that they may serve Me''!
Besides for pharaoh to accept orders from a Superior would mean he will no longer have the right or authority to retain them but he had to do so in the long run. Adam and Eve relinquished their dominion by obeying a single suggestion / command.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did God Lie In Exodus 3 18 by nd07(m): 1:38am On Sep 16, 2015
d journey was actually meant 4 3days but their stubbornness & unbelief made it 40yrs
Re: Did God Lie In Exodus 3 18 by MuttleyLaff: 5:45am On Sep 16, 2015
nd07:
d journey was actually meant 4 3days but their stubbornness & unbelief made it 40yrs
Chief, the journey time for travelling from Egypt to the Promised Land (i.e. Canaan) is not 3 days ooo
Re: Did God Lie In Exodus 3 18 by zube01(m): 6:35am On Sep 16, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
"The elders of Israel will accept your message.
Then you and the elders must go to the king of Egypt and tell him,
'The LORD, the God of the Hebrews, has met with us.
So please let us take a three-day journey into the wilderness to offer sacrifices to the LORD, our God.'
- Exodus 3:18
so what's the lie there?
Re: Did God Lie In Exodus 3 18 by MuttleyLaff: 7:46am On Sep 16, 2015
zube01:
so what's the lie there?
zube01 there is no lie in it.
Methinks instead of turning to me,
you're better off asking the original poster to tell all what he mistakenly thought the God of Truth ''lied'' about in Exodus 3:18

Notice the oxymoron (i.e. the God of Truth ''lied'') in the above statement

Exodus 3:18 was a preliminary ''Watch-This-I-Told-You-So-Moses'' Pharaoh test,
which proved Pharaoh wouldnt let the Israelites have a 3-day break
talkess him being ready to grant or willing to allow a higher request of letting the Israelites leave Egypt free to go to a Promise Land

Whoever asks for a blessing in the land will be blessed by the God of Truth.
Whoever swears an oath in the land will swear by the God of Truth.
Past troubles are forgotten. They are hidden from my eyes
- Isaiah 65:16
Re: Did God Lie In Exodus 3 18 by Image123(m): 6:02pm On Sep 16, 2015
Exo 3:18 And they shall hearken to thy voice: and thou shalt come, thou and the elders of Israel, unto the king of Egypt, and ye shall say unto him, The LORD God of the Hebrews hath met with us: and now let us go, we beseech thee, three days' journey into the wilderness, that we may sacrifice to the LORD our God.

While it will/can indeed take the Israelites 3 literal days to get to the wilderness, it historically took them 3 literal months to get to the wilderness of Sinai, where they "sacrificed to the Lord".
Exo 19:1 In the third month, when the children of Israel were gone forth out of the land of Egypt, the same day came they into the wilderness of Sinai.

This BTW was orchestrated by God Himself as shown below.
Exo 13:17 And it came to pass, when Pharaoh had let the people go, that God led them not through the way of the land of the Philistines, although that was near ; for God said, Lest peradventure the people repent when they see war, and they return to Egypt:
Exo 13:18 But God led the people about, through the way of the wilderness of the Red sea: and the children of Israel went up harnessed out of the land of Egypt.

Now, the phrase "three days' journey" colloquially means long journey or far journey. It is not necessarily a literal three days but something denoting a long time. There is a similar term in the Yoruba language when you have not seen someone for a long time, and you express "it's been three days." In Yoruba, what you are actually saying is that it has been a long time, maybe even months. That's colloquial. It is in the same context that the Pharaoh understood it. See below.
Exo 8:27 We will go three days' journey into the wilderness, and sacrifice to the LORD our God, as he shall command us.
Exo 8:28 And Pharaoh said, I will let you go, that ye may sacrifice to the LORD your God in the wilderness; only ye shall not go very far away: entreat for me.

Here, he feigns no problem with the sacrifice but with the distance, being far away.
So, OP, there is no lie there. The children of Israel did go three days'journey into the wilderness, and offered sacrifice unto the Lord God as He commanded. That's just a part of the plan. God had the whole plan clearly stated from the beginning to Moses, and the Israelites and their elders were also very aware.

(1) (Reply)

Clear Error In The Bible: Was Jesus Having Attention Deficit Disorder? / Abakaliki Court Sacks The Prelate And Moderator Of The Presbyterian Church Of Ni / Can Any Of You Christians In The House Explain Dis To Me By Opposing Dis Motion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.