Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project (6053 Views)

HELP!!!!! I Want To Buy 1999 Bmw 3 Serious / My Bicycle Restoration Project / 2003 Nissan 350z Restoration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by laivwire(m): 9:45am On Sep 27, 2015
Updates!

Due to work and lots of travels, I have not been on ground to take pictures and provide updates on the project.

My absence has taken a huge toll on the project's progress. Until we are pushed, a lot of we humans do not do the needful. Well after storming the workshop yesterday and insisting that the car be coupled back as I'm taking it away that same hour, I got some dedicated timelines for completion.

Here are updates as at yesterday 26th Sept.

- Badly cracked windshield

- Twisted hood: Hood was removed, beaten and smoothed. It'll be repainted today

- Bad gear selector- We discovered it's okay but an important clip is missing. The one that holds a joint of 3 levers together. The gear bushing was also bad. A replacement will be sought, picture included.

3. Fuel pump totalled: Replaced!

4. Faulty Wipers: The wiper was still good. It was only clogged with dirt. It was promptly cleaned and it's back to super condition.

5. Ugly door panels: Both doors go for 18 large so I had to improvise. Matter of fact, the panels are okay except for a new lining wrapped around the textile and ribbit in an ugly way. Fortunately I've got some red vinyl provided by the seller. The ugly lining will be replaced to give a black and red interior. I hope it comes out nice though.

Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by laivwire(m): 10:06am On Sep 27, 2015
6. Bad hind suspension system:

After opening up the tyres, both rear suspensions were looking good but the problem rested with the propeller. The tech loosened it up & we got this: It was replaced asap
[/quote]

Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by laivwire(m): 10:35am On Sep 27, 2015
Headlamps, pointers, spoilers, horn, Kickstarter, instrument cluster light have been procured and replaced. I couldn't get the AC vent though.

Electrically all lights come on but I'm awaiting the reverse switch and fuel gauge indicator on the dash.

Headlamps & pointers
Spoiler
Gear bushings

Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 27, 2015
Wow. That's a whole ton of Bondo on that hood, must be much heavier than stock.

Good progress though.
Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by Nobody: 1:53pm On Sep 27, 2015
Please tell me your Bodyshop guy is going to remove the hood badge, and the windshield washer jets, before it goes in for paint??

Are you having the whole car painted?
Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by laivwire(m): 11:09am On Sep 28, 2015
Siena:
Please tell me your Bodyshop guy is going to remove the hood badge, and the windshield washer jets, before it goes in for paint??

Are you having the whole car painted?

Definitely, he going to take them off and I also plan to change the current logo to a standard one.

I'm repainting the hood alone. I have little trust in nigerian painters and as a result I don't expect a job that'll be miuch different from what I have.
Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by Nobody: 5:55am On Dec 14, 2015
Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by Nobody: 7:28am On Dec 14, 2015
Man must have abandoned the project.
Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by XerXesNG(m): 11:53pm On Dec 19, 2015
Bossforeva:
lol
Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by laivwire(m): 8:37am On Jan 14, 2016
Bossforeva:
On the contrary Bossforeva, this project has become a done deal for a while back now. I got lazy posting pictures

Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by laivwire(m): 8:59am On Jan 14, 2016
Updates:

After many minute fixes here and there, I decided the car needed a make over on the body work. End result
- Some heavy body grinding and sandpaper before a new oven-baked red coat was added

-A set of bmw stock wheels.

-Replacement of bad tyres

- Interior refurbishment: Door panels, centre dash console and seats

- Electrical: All bulbs and relays were replaced/ fixed. The AC became functional once more (and blows cold) the fuel gauge replaced etc

Although in the course of his project, the car was jacked at some point, a tyre was stolen, battery, car stereo, a passenger window shattered etc but the car is back on track today.

Thanks for all the support on visiting the thread, I upload some pictures I owe as I go.

Kindly watch out as another restoration job is coming up soon this year. It's going to be on a Mercedes benz w115.

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by laivwire(m): 9:10am On Jan 14, 2016
tooltip:
Carfreak!, we met at NC 2010....Nice project bro!

Bro , I see you oh.
Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jan 14, 2016
laivwire:
Updates:

After many minute fixes here and there, I decided the car needed a make over on the body work. End result
- Some heavy body grinding and sandpaper before a new oven-baked red coat was added

-A set of bmw stock wheels.

-Replacement of bad tyres

- Interior refurbishment: Door panels, centre dash console and seats

- Electrical: All bulbs and relays were replaced/ fixed. The AC became functional once more (and blows cold) the fuel gauge replaced etc

Although in the course of his project, the car was jacked at some point, a tyre was stolen, battery, car stereo, a passenger window shattered etc but the car is back on track today.

Thanks for all the support on visiting the thread, I upload some pictures I owe as I go.

Kindly watch out as another restoration job is coming up soon this year. It's going to be on a Mercedes benz w115.

Thanks
well done bro
Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by ewons1(m): 2:46pm On Jan 14, 2016
Dude,I must commend ur tenacity for this restoration. I owe a e36sedan too.but my main problems is overheating. As of now my radiator is leaking and am buying another tomorrow.what do u think causes frequent over heating?my engine is v6.pls respond with ur advice n answers.thanks

Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by laivwire(m): 3:03pm On Jan 14, 2016
ewons1:
Dude,I must commend ur tenacity for this restoration. I owe a e36sedan too.but my main problems is overheating. As of now my radiator is leaking and am buying another tomorrow.what do u think causes frequent over heating?my engine is v6.pls respond with ur advice n answers.thanks

Boss, you have an awesome ride right there. I've been hearing of overheating problems with the e36 but fortunate enough not to experience one first hand.

Overheating is definite a fault form the engine cooling system of the car. The radiator is the more obvious check stop but further inspection of the cooling pipes is recommended for breakage or leakage. Check the water pump too. Does the AC run?

Have a 'BMW specialized mech' check these out. This is key because all these Japanese mech guys we have just do trial and error on this car.
Re: My Mini 1999 BMW 318i Restoration Project by deathwing(m): 11:15am On Jan 03, 2018
Glad this project turned out well. I don dey fear for the OP. The heart desires what the heart desires, I guess.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Advice From U Guys As Per Toyota Camry Muscle / Is The Nigerian Police Still Issuing ECMR For New Registration? / Please How Much It Will Cost To Repair This Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.