Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,286 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

How Do I Develop My Self At 30 - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Develop My Self At 30 (1235 Views)

Pls Which Course Do You Think Is Best For Me To Develop My Career / Please Nairalanders, How Can I Develop My Writing Skills. / Develop Your Building Drawing Bungalow 40k, Duplex 60k Very Cheap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Develop My Self At 30 by baziim(m): 12:38pm On Sep 16, 2015
Am 30yrs and a mechanical engineering graduate from Uniben. I graduated with a 3rd class since 2011 but haven't gone for service due to low self esteem. Now I want to retrace my bearing for good and improve my qualifications and certification while at the NYSC Batch B service year due for next month October 28 and I want to start modifying myself from there. A friend has ask me to get Certification on advance course like Autocad, QA/QC, PDMS, ISO19001, Automobile Repair/maintenance and some safety course rather than waste my time pursuing PGD and Masters. So I want to ask is it in the right direction. Pls senior colleagues enlighten me more cos am lost and without bearing or plan B. Are other things I need to do to better my chances at the employment/self employment market.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Develop My Self At 30 by adedayourt(m): 12:51pm On Sep 16, 2015
dat wud be a good boost on ur 1st degree.

giv it a try wit all thy hrt

1 Like

Re: How Do I Develop My Self At 30 by Nobody: 12:52pm On Sep 16, 2015
If I were you, I will go for service and at the same time start practical learning with that mechanic that lives down the streets..

Like you said professional courses will be great..
Have you seen the certificate of any mechanic workshop owner?
Who says a PHD is a criteria to make ends meet?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Develop My Self At 30 by debbie(f): 12:55pm On Sep 16, 2015
Congrats first for going for service.I will like to also commend you for speaking out and seeking for help.
Now to the matter..After you finished school what have you been doing?
I want to be honest with you,in this age and time not everybody will be employed.Many have discovered their niche and are doing well..either job or entrepreneurship.
All these certifications listed is not a guarantee that after getting them you will get a job.
What are you good at? What skills do you possess? What is your plan for your present and future life? what area of mechanical engineering can your fit in very well?these are some of the things that will determine where you want the tide of life to carry to.
First you have to work on your self esteem ( believe you can make it,those of them out there dont have two heads,your class of degree shouldn't be a discourgament to you.At least you have heard of people who got the best of life even with their third class.So that shouldn't discourage you.

As you are going for a one year service,plan how you want to spend your time.....if you dont have basic computer skills,get them.Make friends with people who will add value to your life and also look out for opportunity where you will be posted (OPPORTUNITY+ PREPARATION=SUCCESS).
If you really wish to work,them choose an area of Mechanical that you can do very well in it,learn and acquire the necessary certification (please and please dont be a jack-of-all-thread).
See i bet you,if you are good at what you know.....some people will overlook your degree and employ you with your skills.
Finally dont give up on yourself or feel disappointed...millions like you have made it out there,yours wont be different.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Develop My Self At 30 by baziim(m): 1:00pm On Sep 16, 2015
debbie:
Congrats first for going for service.I will like to also commend you for speaking out and seeking for help.
I want to be honest with you,in this age and time not everybody will be employed.Many have discovered their niche and are doing well..either job or entrepreneurship.
All these certifications listed is not a guarantee that after getting them you will get a job.
What are you good at? What skills do you possess? What is your plan for your present and future life? what area of mechanical engineering can your fit in very well?these are some of the things that will determine where you want the tide of life to carry to.
First you have to work on your self esteem ( believe you can make it,those of them out there dont have two heads,your class of degree shouldn't be a discourgament to you.At least you have heard of people who got the best of life even with their third class.So that shouldn't discourage you.

As you are going for a one year service,plan how you want to spend your time.....if you dont have basic computer skills,get them.Make friends with people who will add value to your life and also look out for opportunity where you will be posted (OPPORTUNITY+ PREPARATION=SUCCESS).
If you really wish to work,them choose an area of Mechanical that you can do very well in it,learn and acquire the necessary certification (please and please dont be a jack-of-all-thread).
See i bet you,if you are good at what you know.....some people will overlook your degree and employ you with your skills.
Finally dont give up on yourself or feel disappointed...millions like you have made it out there,yours wont be different.

debbie:
debbie:

thanks Debbie I appreciate the love and wise words
Re: How Do I Develop My Self At 30 by tforever(m): 11:40pm On Sep 16, 2015
Dude lets talk...check signature for number.
Re: How Do I Develop My Self At 30 by StObaino1(m): 2:07am On Oct 05, 2015
It's good to know you read mech engineering and passionate about it. A lot of guys are more interested in acquiring certificates upon certificate. it's cool but don't forget engineering is more of a field job or hands on than paper work. there are some depth that do paper work but not for a fresh graduate anyway.

The best advice is, get experience from the road side guy. you have a 3rd class and that's not impressive but I tell you, with good hands on experience, you will get good paying jobs.
The road side guys will give u raw mechanical exposure. then when you go home, read online or watch YouTube videos the get a better explanation and understanding. it has helped me a lot to get to where I am today as a mechanical engineer.

Humble yourself, expose yourself and learn. the sky will be your limit.
Goodluck.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Develop My Self At 30 by JobAirport: 8:30am On Jul 01, 2016
baziim:
Am 30yrs and a mechanical engineering graduate from Uniben. I graduated with a 3rd class since 2011 but haven't gone for service due to low self esteem. Now I want to retrace my bearing for good and improve my qualifications and certification while at the NYSC Batch B service year due for next month October 28 and I want to start modifying myself from there. A friend has ask me to get Certification on advance course like Autocad, QA/QC, PDMS, ISO19001, Automobile Repair/maintenance and some safety course rather than waste my time pursuing PGD and Masters. So I want to ask is it in the right direction. Pls senior colleagues enlighten me more cos am lost and without bearing or plan B. Are other things I need to do to better my chances at the employment/self employment market.

Hi,

I understand your dilemma.

Please contact our team of professional advisers using the link on the picture below.

Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

Personal Support Attendants / Newly Employed Teachers In A'ibom Protest Over Gov Udom Refusal 2 Post Them(pics / Top 16 Lucrative Business In Nigeria You Can Start With Less Money In 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.