Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,194 members, 7,815,166 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

The Art of Comic Making & Publishing - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / The Art of Comic Making & Publishing (14032 Views)

Whatsapp Group Chat For (digital, Comic And Creative Artists) / Lessons From The Art Of Stone Balancing / I Need Help With Comic Making (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 5:14pm On Sep 17, 2015
Comics & their creation started from the following times:

*Prehistoric era of cavemen drawing their stories on the cave walls
*Egyptian heiroglyphics to tell stories of the ascent or descent of gods amongst them
*To the birth of Marvel & DC comics which has set the standard for comic making globally even both respectively owning their own styles of comic script writing.
*Thanks to technology with access to the internet and Lagos ComicCon. The Nigerian Comic Scene is bubbling with the likes of Comic Republic,The Vortex,YouNeek Studios,ShadowBlack,Real Fiction comics to mention a few.

This thread is dedicated to the making of comics,tools for drawing & publishing all the way to how to market them profitably.

Fill free to ask questions & contribute because it promises to be insightful & interesting.

Expecting contributions from the creative people I know...
CC
@Polarbite
@66Kazna99
@Mixter
@Marvluv
@GoldenHeart
@bomking4x

Proudly supported by the Dm3DRev Studeos Blog (www.dm3drev-studeos..com)
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 8:57am On Apr 21, 2016
LETTERING KEY:
Underlined = bold lettering

Italic = Italic lettering

Capitalized = display lettering

(bl) = oversized lettering

(sl) = undersized lettering

fx = sound effect

(th) = thought balloon

(wh) = whispered balloon

(sb) = splash/burst balloon

(elec) = electronic Transmission balloon

Anything else will be specifically requested in the script itself. Thanks.
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by Millex(m): 1:19pm On May 30, 2016
I use Inkscape too
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 1:48pm On May 30, 2016
Am totally Adobe as that's my best workflow and CorelDraw...

Millex:
I use Inkscape too
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by Millex(m): 3:08pm On May 30, 2016
DerrickM:
Am totally Adobe as that's my best workflow and CorelDraw...

I got Inkscape cus it was readily available, looking to buy illustrator soon as Inkscape was really limiting the bounds of what I could do.
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 3:23pm On May 30, 2016
Ok. You said buy Illustrator when there's Computer Village to buy either Design Suite or Master Collection asap or via torrent downloads online.
When I have a company that's when I plan to buy not solo as I'm now

Millex:

I got Inkscape cus it was readily available, looking to buy illustrator soon as Inkscape was really limiting the bounds of what I could do.
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by Millex(m): 3:30pm On May 30, 2016
DerrickM:
Ok. You said buy Illustrator when there's Computer Village to buy either Design Suite or Master Collection asap or via torrent downloads online.
When I have a company that's when I plan to buy not solo as I'm now

Chief in this economy? There's no funds for torrent download or right systems to take design suite
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 4:17pm On May 30, 2016
You're the one that said buy Illustrator but it rarely comes alone like Photoshop or LightRoom. A DualCore pc of 4GB RAM or less can take the Design or Master Suite CS3 easily. If you let the economy determine everything you do creatively won't get anything so leave that one aside.

Millex:
Chief in this economy? There's no funds for torrent download or right systems to take design suite

1 Like

Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by Millex(m): 6:08pm On May 30, 2016
DerrickM:
You're the one that said buy Illustrator but it rarely comes alone like Photoshop or LightRoom. A DualCore pc of 4GB RAM or less can take the Design or Master Suite CS3 easily. If you let the economy determine everything you do creatively won't get anything so leave that one aside.

Tru sha, but the prices tho. What of India ink? It's not like I can't visit bookshops, I stay in one deadzone like that all those places you mentioned are like travelling to ibadan.. bookshops in my area are understocked.
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 6:16pm On May 30, 2016
Dude,I dunno of how this India ink you talk of. Never heard of it. Ojuelegba isn't close to me either but I go there. Distance isn't an issue when I need something,brov. So it's left to you to do the needful,best regards...

Millex:

Tru sha, but the prices tho. What of India ink? It's not like I can't visit bookshops, I stay in one deadzone like that all those places you mentioned are like travelling to ibadan.. bookshops in my area are understocked.
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 2:23pm On Jul 15, 2016
Team A.M.H's entry into the Comic Republic ComicBook Contest.
Comic Script by @zastruga7 on IG
Inks by @oozartz on IG
Colours by @ufo_south|@oluwadamilola_akinayo on IG
Lettering by @oluwadamilola_akinayo

Voting is on so go on to vote for their work!!!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 10:34am On Jul 16, 2016
Voting link here. Log on to facebook & comment with 004a on Comic Republic's likepage. Help me & my friends win,thanks Nairalanders...

https://m.facebook.com/ComicRepublic/photos/pcb.1390980034263723/1390978087597251/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C1537171276

DerrickM:
Team A.M.H's entry into the Comic Republic ComicBook Contest.
Comic Script by @zastruga7 on IG
Inks by @oozartz on IG
Colours by @ufo_south|@oluwadamilola_akinayo on IG
Lettering by @oluwadamilola_akinayo

Voting is on so go on to vote for their work!!!
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by InZA: 12:22am On Jul 17, 2016
DerrickM:
Am totally Adobe as that's my best workflow and more Adobe...

Person wey sabi grin grin grin
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 12:47am On Jul 17, 2016
Hehehe*lol*Na so my broda*

InZA:

Person wey sabi grin grin grin
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 7:22am On Aug 06, 2016
Tip1:
If you are to create a successful comic franchise. It's good you have a team of people to work with. So find like minds of your peers to build a comic from scratch.

Essential Team Members *Editor/Comic Script Writer *Penciller *Inking Artist *Colourists *ComicBook Cover Artist *Letterer *Graphic Designer that composes the final print layout It is good thing if all team members can draw incase of emergency to in fill the gaps.

Tip 2:
Recommended Software Packages: Adobe Illustrator,Photoshop,InDesign & CorelDraw.

Tip 3:
Learn how to draw well to an extent is a must. Graphics Design knowledge & Print Layout Composition is necessary in the final comicbook design

Tip4:
Research the internet,no one here can really answer you with all the solutions like Google,make it your best "FRIEND".

Some links that can help you.
http://youneekstudios.com/creating-comics-and-planting-trees/

http://comicsforbeginners.com

http://www.blambot.com/

http://www.creativebloq.com/comics/guide-create-publish-comic-book-71515975

1 Like

Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by Goldenheart(m): 4:15pm On Aug 07, 2016
oya I don show!!!

Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 5:10pm On Aug 07, 2016
Imagun light years I tagged u just dey show daris God Ooo...Glad u cud make it,bro. Feel free to share tips from your experience...

Goldenheart:
oya I don show!!!

Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by Goldenheart(m): 5:36pm On Aug 07, 2016
grin
DerrickM:
Imagun light years I tagged u just dey show daris God Ooo...Glad u cud make it,bro. Feel free to share tips from your experience...

Thanks
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by Goldenheart(m): 6:00pm On Aug 07, 2016
I am a passionate comic artist....as well as graphics designer...

I am making a living out of it....

I remember during my 3rd year in the university, I just got a Job from a children storybook company to illustrate stories.

The illustrations were much n it was difficult getting a "talented" artist to help out. There was deadline, the faster you finish, the faster you get paid. it was basically a race against time.

So i read the story,

1) Grab my pencil n sketch,

2) I ink with a graphic pen I borrowed from achitecture students (Rotring)

3) Upload to my computer with scanner

4) Use my mouse to apply colors in (photoshop)

5) Convert to jpg and give the soft file to my client.

It was a slow and crappy process....

(to be cont)

1 Like

Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by Goldenheart(m): 6:23pm On Aug 07, 2016
cont

Every process, i researched online, studied n applied it.

I started researching on how to make the process faster n effective, I tried improving my drawing skills, it only made me very slow.

Then I learnt about "graphic tablets" online. I ve never seen, used it before but I just know I gotta get one of those.

luckily, I found a seller.

I saved enough money from my slow n crappy process to buy me a "Graphic Tablet"

When I got my tablet, my whole experience changed.

to cut the story short*

I was 200x faster in delivery.
It was recently I adopted a faster technique which made me 900x faster.

I also changed from photoshop to manga studio this improved the quality of my output, increased my Earning power.

Pictures Coming soon...

2 Likes

Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 8:23pm On Aug 07, 2016
Cool...thanks for sharing. Expecting the rest asap.
Explore Illustrator & SketchBook Pro awesome apps in addition to Manga Studio Pro.

Goldenheart:
cont

Every process, i researched online, studied n applied it.

I started researching on how to make the process faster n effective, I tried improving my drawing skills, it only made me very slow.

Then I learnt about "graphic tablets" online. I ve never seen, used it before but I just know I gotta get one of those.

luckily, I found a seller.

I saved enough money from my slow n crappy process to buy me a "Graphic Tablet"

When I got my tablet, my whole experience changed.

to cut the story short*

I was 200x faster in delivery.
It was recently I adopted a faster technique which made me 900x faster.

I also changed from photoshop to manga studio this improved the quality of my output, increased my Earning power.

Pictures Coming soon...
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by Millex(m): 9:29pm On Aug 07, 2016
DerrickM:
Cool...thanks for sharing. Expecting the rest asap.
Explore Illustrator & SketchBook Pro awesome apps in addition to Manga Studio Pro.

i just dey observe till I get my drawing tab

1 Like

Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 12:47am On Aug 08, 2016
Gather the pepper wella we go dey wait you for junction...

Millex:
i just dey observe till I get my drawing tab
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by Nerdychica(f): 2:33pm On Aug 09, 2016
Hello guys am really interested in comic making , I have a good knowledge of Photoshop .. Can u guys help me with the basics ?
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 4:12pm On Aug 09, 2016
Hey hi,lovely ID @Nerdychica by the way cheesy grin
Keep your interest alive & follow this thread. I gave some tips earlier on the thread up a bit kindly browse through. Another thing is to know where you fit in if you were part of a comic team. Great to see you are familiar with Photoshop. What exactly do you do with it?!! Let's take it from there...

Nerdychica:
Hello guys am really interested in comic making , I have a good knowledge of Photoshop .. Can u guys help me with the basics ?
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by Millex(m): 4:19pm On Aug 09, 2016
Nerdychica:
Wow most girls don't even understand comics, kudos
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 6:21pm On Aug 09, 2016
Maybe the ones you know but chicks/ladies or girls either read comics or like them. Some now take it to the next level & create theirs. Follow @forcreativegirls on IG,you'll know how far,guy.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/11/essential-8-women-working-in-comics-yes-gail-boys-like-comics-too/

Millex:

Wow most girls don't even understand comics, kudos
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by Nerdychica(f): 8:46pm On Aug 09, 2016
DerrickM:
Hey hi,lovely ID @Nerdychica by the way cheesy grin
Keep your interest alive & follow this thread. I gave some tips earlier on the thread up a bit kindly browse through. Another thing is to know where you fit in if you were part of a comic team. Great to see you are familiar with Photoshop. What exactly do you do with it?!! Let's take it from there...

photo manipulation , pics to cartoon etc
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by Nerdychica(f): 8:48pm On Aug 09, 2016
But I suck @ drawing characters .... P.s who has a link that I can download manga studio for free
Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 10:41pm On Aug 09, 2016
Try getting a digital tab made by wacom. It will help for drawing by the way like in the attached picture.

Nerdychica:
photo manipulation , pics to cartoon etc

Re: The Art of Comic Making & Publishing by DerrickM(m): 11:46pm On Aug 09, 2016
You'll have to improve a great deal on that if you want to create comics. Study of human anatomy & animals is compulsory & non-negotiable on drawing well. Manga Studio Pro isn't free but you can get Inkscape & try it out. If you are in Lagos best you get to Computer Village.

Get inspired by Naija comics:
Comic Republic - www.thecomicrepublic.com
Vortex Comics - www.vortex247.com
YouNeek Studios -www.youneekstudios.com
Shadow Black -www.shadowblack.com.ng

Nerdychica:
But I suck @ drawing characters .... P.s who has a link that I can download manga studio for free

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Strange But True Picture! / Realistic Portrait Burst Of A Nairalander / I'm an Enthusiast Photographer: Here's My Mini Portfolio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.