Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,901 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

Fixed Deposit Interest Rates for Diamondbank, Stanbic & Skyebank - Comparison - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Fixed Deposit Interest Rates for Diamondbank, Stanbic & Skyebank - Comparison (5958 Views)

Whats The Current Fixed Deposit Interest Rate For Nigerian Banks / Feb 2016 Fixed Deposit Rates: GTB, Diamond, Firstbank, Stanbic, Sterling, Wema (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fixed Deposit Interest Rates for Diamondbank, Stanbic & Skyebank - Comparison by naijacutee(f): 5:40pm On Sep 17, 2015
A while ago, I audited my finances and realised that I had a small sum of money sitting in my savings account, which I was receiving less than N1,000 monthly interest on. Since I didn’t need this money immediately, I decided to research fixed deposit accounts offering higher interest rate in the short term, until I needed the money back. Fixed deposits are a very popular investment option in Nigeria, and you’ll hear about them 8 times of out 10 if you do happen to ask for advice regarding how to invest money. A fixed deposit investment is an attractive option if you do not want to encounter the risks involved in starting a new business venuture as returns are guaranteed, and the duration of your investment is flexible. I have done this sort of research before, comparing fixed deposit interest rates between GTBank and FirstBank, which you can find here.

What is a fixed deposit?
A fixed deposit is a lump sum deposited with a bank for a fixed period amount of time, in exchange for interest.

How to put your money in a fixed deposit
You will need to have an existing account with the bank of your choice. You will then need to speak to your bank manager, telling them how much you want to “fix”, and for how many days. Most banks allow you to fix your money for 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 180 days and 1 year. It is very important that you check with different banks to compare rates, as you can open a new account for this purpose if your banks rates are not competitive enough. If just picking up the phone and making calls can earn you an extra N1,000 each month, then it’s worth it and what’s more, I have done some of the hard work for you. 20% OFF Select Professional Grade Surge Protectors w/ code 07P15CPP at Newegg Business, ends 9/30

How do I get paid?
Usually, the money you want to fixed is removed from your account and the interest is paid into your account monthly. So for example, you want to fix N500,000 for 60 days and the bank has offered you an interest rate of 7%. You have N550,000 in your account. Once you confirm you’re making the arrangement and sign all the necessary documentation, the N500,000 “disappears” from your account to be “fixed”.

How is fixed deposit interest calculated?
Multiply the interest rate by your fixed amount. In the example above, 7% x N500,000 = N35,000.
Divide the result by 12 months: (N35,000/12 months) to get your monthly payments (N2,916).
Subtract 10% tax: N2,916 – N292 = N2,624 payable monthly

Bank interest rate comparisons
For these enquiries, Diamondbank, Skye bank and StanbicIBTC banks were contacted. Here are the current rates from each of these banks at the time of the enquiry – September 2015.

Some additional points
Diamondbank – Minimum term: 30 days. Minimum amount: N1m Skye bank – Minimum term: 30days. Minimum amount: N500,000 StanbicIBTC – Minimum term: 30 days. Minimum amount: N100,000. If you are interested in fixing for 1 year, StanbicIBTC offers the highest fixed deposit rates at 12% for amounts fixed fixed for a whole year.

Please note that these rates are only offered as a guide, as actual rates vary weekly and interest is paid based on the variable rates set by the banks.
Am I an agent?
I work for neither of these banks. My selection of this two is purely by chance and accessibility of contact information via the bank websites. I simply picked the banks with the most prominent contact information via websites. My reviews are unbiased, and if I haven’t reviewed any others yet, don’t worry – “life is turn by turn”.

Source: http://www.mrpepe.com/banking/fixed-deposit-account-interest-rates-with-nigerian-banks-diamond-vs-skye-vs-stanbic/

1 Like

Re: Fixed Deposit Interest Rates for Diamondbank, Stanbic & Skyebank - Comparison by ogogoro: 9:31am On Sep 18, 2015
Thanks for sharing!
Re: Fixed Deposit Interest Rates for Diamondbank, Stanbic & Skyebank - Comparison by Adinije(f): 10:36am On Sep 18, 2015
Thanks for sharing, do u know about Ecobank?
Re: Fixed Deposit Interest Rates for Diamondbank, Stanbic & Skyebank - Comparison by naijacutee(f): 2:17pm On Sep 18, 2015
Not at the moment, but I'm sure Ecobank's comparison is in the pipeline.
Re: Fixed Deposit Interest Rates for Diamondbank, Stanbic & Skyebank - Comparison by naijacutee(f): 3:03pm On Sep 23, 2015
@SHOT. At 2.5%, this is a worse deal than those highlighted in the original post (Stanbic is offering 8.5%). Are you adding value or removing value?
Re: Fixed Deposit Interest Rates for Diamondbank, Stanbic & Skyebank - Comparison by SHOT(m): 10:12pm On Sep 23, 2015
naijacutee:
@SHOT. At 2.5%, this is a worse deal than those highlighted in the original post (Stanbic is offering 8.5%). Are you adding value or removing value?

NOTE, ITS 2.5% PER MONTH, on 500k, you will get N12,500 monthly ...no bank will give you that
Re: Fixed Deposit Interest Rates for Diamondbank, Stanbic & Skyebank - Comparison by naijacutee(f): 1:58pm On Sep 29, 2015
SHOT:

NOTE, ITS 2.5% PER MONTH, on 500k, you will get N12,500 monthly ...no bank will give you that

But the difference is that most banks have a publicly accessible reputation and you don't. So you have to pay higher because the risks are higher with you than with the banks.
Re: Fixed Deposit Interest Rates for Diamondbank, Stanbic & Skyebank - Comparison by mrdino(m): 2:51pm On Sep 29, 2015
thanks for d info
Re: Fixed Deposit Interest Rates for Diamondbank, Stanbic & Skyebank - Comparison by SHOT(m): 7:33pm On Sep 29, 2015
naijacutee:

But the difference is that most banks have a publicly accessible reputation and you don't. So you have to pay higher because the risks are higher with you than with the banks.

True... Bt we ar capable of meeting up with our obligations to investors... And there ar binding agreements to sign n commit us

(1) (Reply)

What Kind Of Transport Business Can I Do With A Ford Bus? / The Facebook Research Is So Real / What Investment Can One Make With 4million Naira In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.