Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,984 members, 7,838,503 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! (518 Views)

Kaduna Adopts Finland Education System; To Pay Teachers More – El-Rufai / The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System / The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 1:13pm On Sep 18, 2015
Why do we go to school? This was the question I asked a few undergraduates the last time I visited a Nigerian University! Almost all the answers bordered on just getting a degree- a Certificate. I didn’t blame them that much because the system has been designed to achieve just that. We have a system that places more value on a paper than the actual content on the inside of the possessor of such a certificate.

The future of a nation lies in the PROPER education of it’s youths- JFK! No nation ever became great without paying adequate attention to the proper education of its youths. The youths are the future. They are the tomorrow. If they’re given a haphazard level of education, the future of that nation shall be haphazard, disorderly, primitive and grossly underdeveloped.

When I was done talking with those youths, I knew some of them had their orientation changed from certificate – consciousness to education-consciousness.

Education goes way beyond academics. Education is the total transformation of the mental as well as other faculties of the man. Our education merely addresses the academic needs of the students. They’re only taught theorems and formulas that are geared towards the achievement of that cerfiticate. Much of what’s needed to survive and succeed in the real life are not taught in the university.

A certificate conscious education only produces paper graduates. It discourages students imbibing the culture of reading beyond their exams. As soon as the exams are over, many students never go back to that material again. Why should they go back? They’ve written the exams. Mission accomplished. Many stop reading once they secured that dream job. Why should they continue? They’ve secured a job. Mission accomplished. Students read because they want to pass an exam, not because they want to reduce their ignorance OR become better persons.

A certificate – conscious education damages the psyche of students. I’ve seen students wrote exams on the dirtiest of environments- a grim deviation from the purpose of education. They don’t mind writing exams even in a soak-away as far as it’s a step towards getting that certificate. I’ve seen students wrote exams on bare floors. They never thought that should not happen. It meant nothing to them. It’s all about the degree. It’s all about the certificates. It’s all about the paper. Their sense of morality and decency is so destroyed and damaged. They have no limits to what they can bear as far as it brings that degree closer. I’ve seen students drop dirts on the school campus. It meant nothing to them. No regard for their environment. It’s all about the degree.

How could a graduate not express themselves in simple terms? One was employed my my company years back. He couldn’t even spell basic words. That’s the product from a certificate-conscious system. We have many educated dummies in the society, roaming the streets with their papers.

It limits your chances of success. This system creates an entitlement mentality in us. We think by becoming graduates the society owes us a job. How wrong! Your degree, without other personal developmental skills, guarantees more failure than it does success. Your IQ is responsible for only a tiny portion of your success; it’s your EQ that guarantees the greater part. Society doesn’t owe you a job. You fight and get one for yourself.

It produces dummy leaders. We have them around in the nation. From the national assembly to the governors and to the state assemblies to the LGAs. We have certificated thugs making laws for us. They didn’t start there. They are a product of the mad system. People without values, beliefs and traditions are only produced in such an education sector.

You and I didn’t go that school to get a degree. You didn’t go because others are there. You went there because you saw a need for personal enlightment and education. Are you narrowed to your degree and course? Are you allowing the system to limit you? Are you a slave of the system? You can change all that. Is your academics interfering with your education? Are you properly educated? Look beyond tour degree; it doesn’t guarantee food. It doesn’t guarantee anything. Develop other skills. Read because you want to develop, not because you want to acquire a paper.

How many of your past courses do you still remember it’s contents? Very few, I guess. That’s because you threw away the materials after writing the exams!

Make study a habit. Explore. Read. You will not only pass your exams, but you shall always become fit for the challenges life will throw your way after your formal education.

Soure; http://.com/the-dangers-of-a-certificate-conscious-education-system/

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Hadecaller(f): 1:51pm On Sep 18, 2015
abi o..the goverments and school management are to b blame for it.in my school we only given material to read without seeing the lecturing only on the day the paper is to b written....so how i do how continue to read after the exam?.sincerely their are some courses that i only read to pass,i av to cramm d whole content without understanding it..,.i hope dis make front page.. @ftp

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of A Certificate-conscious Education System! by Nobody: 4:13pm On Sep 18, 2015
You are right my brother..... The main cause of this problem is our educational system in Nigeria....but atimes i usually ask my self how we can solve this.

(1) (Reply)

Does OAU Recognize Furthermaths As A Subject. / Gbor And The Pot Calling The Kettle Black. / Futo Postponed Re-opening Date For 2015/2016 Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.