Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,662 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: (2072 Views)

Death, The Prosperity Gospel And Me / Muslim Caller Hears The Gospel And Becomes A Christian / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by No2Atheism(m): 10:17pm On Apr 12, 2009
I have come to believe that the Prosperity Gospel, (aka Tithing, seed planting planting and hundred folds back principles), is nothing more than an unbiblical heretical tradition of men. Infact, it has no scriptural basis, considering that the new covenant brought about the era of grace through faith.

I must confess i was likewise once deceived by it the prosperity gospel nonsense and the tithing nonsense for quite a while, so much so that i sometimes felt guilty.
Infact, I was once ignorantly alarmed when i heard someone say that tithing was unbiblical way back in 2004 or 2005.

However i have come to understand and observe certain things relative to tithing and prosperity gospel, in relation to the Bible. This my observation and understanding shows part of the reason  why I am against Tithing and Prosperity gospel.

My observation are that:

1. The Creator of Heaven and Earth would always provide our needs but not our wants. Hence the fact that we want to be rich does not mean we have a need to be rich.

2. Miracles occured in the bible, even wen the person in question does not have faith. Hence the miracle or blessing of getting rich is not always a function of faith.
Hence i am disappointed in people that claim that people who don't experience miracles don't have enough faith. One can have enough faith and yet not receive what we ask for because what we ask for is not what the Creator ( יהוה) wants for us.

3. Unbelievers can also get rich, hence being rich does not mean that such a person is a True and Saved Bible. Physical riches and financial blessings are not evidences of Salvation.

4. The Messiah came to fufill the law, to present Himself as a sacrifise for us, hence our salvation and other things added unto us is by Grace, not by right and not by law.

Matthew 6:33
[RNKJV] But seek ye first the kingdom of יהוה, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Hence it is clear to see that getting rich is merely an addition, it is not the primary focus and purpose of salvation. Hence whether or not a saved bible believer gets rich (after being saved) or not depends on the will and grace of the Creator ( יהוה) only, it has nothing to do with our selfish personal desires and wants.

5. Tithing as it is being practised today, as become a form of trying to arm twist the Creator ( יהוה) into making us rich by force. This is heretic, we are supposed to do the Creator's will and not the other way round.

6. Anyone that practises "tithing" as a compulsion/law required for prosperity is also being heretic, because it implies that such a person has brought himself back under the law and thus indirectly declare that Grace is no longer enough.

7. Anyone who seeks to obey one of the Laws, has to obey all of them, he/she cannot ignore some and obey others. Hence prosperity gospel believers cannot claim to believe and obey "tithing" as a principle (i.e law) while at the same time ignore all the other old testament laws.

8. Prosperity Gospels Churches or Preachers by enforcing tithing, have essentially handpicked just a few laws from the old covenant (e.g. tithing law) while ignoring other laws, hence are essentially going against the very foundation of the New Covenant which they claim to professing. The issue of greed and lust for money and wordly riches when it comes to money, makes it easy to understand, Why Tithing and Sowing of Seed are the only few old testament laws/principles that Prosperity Gospel preachers have decided to make compulsory,

- why did they not choose that about animal sacrifise,
- why did they not choose that of an eye for an eye,
- why did they not choose other non-financial old testament laws/principles,

9. There would always be rich people and poor people whether or not we pray, confess or try to become rich by our own might or not. Hence tricking people into tithing as a form of getting rich, is heretic. This is because the Messiah Himself said that there would always be poor people.

Mark 14:7

[RNKJV] For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always.

1. The Messiah did not say that poor people would not be amongst the church.
2. The Messiah did not say that the poor people would only be amongst the gentiles.
3. Infact from what the Messiah said, it can easily be seen that the poor can either be a gentile or amongst the church.

Hence all these prosperity gospel nonsense is nothing more than nonsense, is just an heretical view to assume that all saved bible believers are destined to be rich. THAT IS NOT TRUE, CUS THERE WOULD STILL BE POOR PEOPLE.
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by Nobody: 1:23pm On Apr 13, 2009
You shot yourself in the foot by quoting Mark 14:7. So how are you supposed to help the poor if you're not rich?

Unbelievers get rich by an action of the devil. He makes them feel seemingly comfortable so that they do not feel they need Christ. It's that simple.

As against what you said, we cannot twist the arm of the creator. It's that simple. If you tithe, you tithe. Else, so be it.

Even God has forsaken some of his old testament laws. Talk about the amount of homosexuals in the world today.

There will always be poor people. There will always be sinners. So there!

The Bible says whatsoever a man sows he will reap, God is not robbed. So you expect to sow nothing into the house of God and you expect God to bless you by default? He's not an idiot, you know!
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by biina: 4:30pm On Apr 13, 2009
No2Atheism:

2. Miracles occured in the bible, even wen the person in question does not have faith. Hence the miracle or blessing of getting rich is not always a function of faith.
Hence i am disappointed in people that claim that people who don't experience miracles don't have enough faith. One can have enough faith and yet not receive what we ask for because what we ask for is not what the Creator ( יהוה) wants for us.
Slightly OT
Faith is not binary, but rather of  a degree (Jesus quantified it when comparing it to a mustard seed). A better phrase would be 'of little faith'. When dealing with miracles and similar events, there is more at play. It involves the faith of target(s), the spiritual level of the doer, the task at hand, etc. The amount of faith someone has may also often depend on the situation.
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by Lady2(f): 7:04pm On Apr 13, 2009
@ No2atheism

other than a few irrelevant things in the post, your general idea is true. I get your point and it is the truth. If you wish to donate then do so, but do so out of love. If you wish to tithe do so out of love, God would rather have you not give at all than to give without love.
Tithing isn't compulsory, but is needed by the Church to function. However, if you are unable to provide monetary forms of charity, you can certainly provide labour or services. If you are an expert in something donate your service to the Church. Give your time. Help keep the Church clean, help with instruments, or arrangements. Volunteer your time. It doesn't have to be money, and I am glad you've come to see that. God Bless.
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by debosky(m): 7:19pm On Apr 13, 2009
~Lady~:

@ No2atheism

other than a few irrelevant things in the post, your general idea is true. I get your point and it is the truth. If you wish to donate then do so, but do so out of love. If you wish to tithe do so out of love, God would rather have you not give at all than to give without love.
[b]Tithing isn't compulsory, but is needed by the Church to function. [/b]However, if you are unable to provide monetary forms of charity, you can certainly provide labour or services. If you are an expert in something donate your service to the Church. Give your time. Help keep the Church clean, help with instruments, or arrangements. Volunteer your time. It doesn't have to be money, and I am glad you've come to see that. God Bless.
I disagree with the bolded - tithing is not needed by the church to function. While giving might be needed, it need not be in the form of a 'tithe' for the church to function.

Choosing to give 10% of your income to the church should not be equated with being 'prosperity gospel'. If I believe the earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof, and I voluntarily decide to give 10% of my income to God (through the church) as a recognition of His Lordship over my finances, that should not be construed as 'prosperity gospel'

The bible is clear - sow sparingly and you will reap sparingly, sow bountifully and reap bountifully. That is a divine law, not any 'twisting the arm of the creator'.

Maybe some people are teaching wrong doctrine, or people give with wrong motives, so condemn those aspects not the practice of tithing in itself, which is very healthy and very biblical, since it is simply a form of giving, as long as it is done with a cheerful heart with the right motives.
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by Lady2(f): 1:27am On Apr 14, 2009
I disagree with the bolded - tithing is not needed by the church to function. While giving might be needed, it need not be in the form of a 'tithe' for the church to function.

maybe i should be more direct, tithing doesn't have to be in the form of money, and so is needed by the church. it isn't compulsory but it is needed, any kind of service that you can give is needed. Now I am not saying that tithing is the only way in which you can meet the need of the church, I am saying it is needed, as it is one of the ways the church can function.

And I believe the rest of your post is saying exactly what I am saying only in different words.
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by Lady2(f): 1:29am On Apr 14, 2009
@No2atheism

You mentioned the prosperity gospel and how you don't believe in it or are against it or something of that nature. I will agree with you, because all the while Jesus was preaching he preached the cross, and the cross isn't viewed as prosperity. He repeatedly preached suffering, the cross is suffering, and all the apostles preached the suffering Christ, so why these churches are preaching other things I don't know. But the way to heaven is the cross, the way to true prosperity is the cross. Our glory comes from the cross.
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by KunleOshob(m): 11:41am On Apr 15, 2009
Jeremiah 8:8-10:

8 “‘How can you say, “We are wise because we have the word of the Lord,”
when your teachers have twisted it by writing lies?
9 These wise teachers will fall
into the trap of their own foolishness,
for they have rejected the word of the Lord
Are they so wise after all?
10 I will give their wives to others
and their farms to strangers.
From the least to the greatest,
their lives are ruled by greed.
Yes, even my prophets and priests are like that.
They are all frauds.

I beleive the above passage aptly explains why pastors are preaching prosperity messages today, the reason is simple "GREED" and becos of this they twist the scriptures to obtain tithes and seed sowing from their gullible sheeple
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by Enigma(m): 5:23pm On Apr 15, 2009
To paraphrase what someone else said many years ago; the prosperity gospel is satan's most recent vomit! :spit:
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by ilaugh1: 5:24pm On Apr 15, 2009
@poster

Who cares what you think?
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by PastorAIO: 8:50pm On Apr 15, 2009
i_laugh:

@poster

Who cares what you think?

such people as will engage in the thread and read the thread. Though not all cos there are also those that do not care yet engage it.
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by Horus(m): 10:07pm On Apr 15, 2009
Jesus never took from his congregation. He never passed around a basket or tray to receive pledges and donations at the end of each sermon. He never asked for a payment. Nor did he ever tell his disciples to accept money for their assistance as found in Matthew 10:8-10: “Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give. Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses, nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.”
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by ugo2u(m): 12:04am On Apr 16, 2009
Oh man! Am trully getting nausea from non-stop posts on tithe and giving and prosperity. Please for the love of God not everyone takes the same path to tap into blessings, so because you don't believe in tithes you shouldn't rub our faces in it. How can a the richest father want his children to be poor? Please enough of this!
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by PastorAIO: 1:35am On Apr 16, 2009
ugo_2u:

Oh man! Am trully getting nausea from non-stop posts on tithe and giving and prosperity. Please for the love of God not everyone takes the same path to tap into blessings, so because you don't believe in tithes you shouldn't rub our faces in it. How can a the richest father want his children to be poor? Please enough of this!

How much money exactly does this 'richest father' have in his account? Please even if you don't answer this question, think about it a little bit.
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by ugo2u(m): 7:55am On Apr 16, 2009
Actually the last time i heard he owns everything on earth. Anyway if you get to heaven you can ask him. His name is Jehova Jireh
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by PastorAIO: 8:03am On Apr 16, 2009
If he owns everything then there is nothing left for anybody else to own so what are those seeking prosperity hoping to own.

My brother you are rich already and that wealth is the Truth that he has put within you. Pursue that and don't worry yourself too much about man made monetary constructs.
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by solosimple(m): 11:19am On Apr 16, 2009
A prosperity preacher or any of their follower will not like the Topic.
The bible neither support prosperity nor poverty, there were rich followers of God and there were poor followers of God in the Bible.
Whether rich or poor, what matters is to please God with your life. Check your Bible now or many years later, you'll still find it there that "the love of money is the root of all evil" and "those who desire to be rich in live falls into diverse temptation". Jesus himself said that: It is very had for the rich to enter the kingdom of God. (If you like quote Greek and Hebrew and use all kind of exegesis to twist the scripture, There are still those who won't compromise the word of God)
God is the giver of all good things, he blesses men and he enriches men as HE WILLS. Has He enriched you with great finances, Set your mind on Him still, and not on the wealth. GODLINESS WITH CONTENTMENT IS A GREAT GAIN! Work that which is good with your hand and be diligent with it, if BIG money comes, GOOD!(but serve God still), if it doesn't, be content!
BEFORE YOU QUOTE "MY GOD SHALL SUPPLY ALL MY NEEDS, " step back a little and open your eyes to "I HAVE LEARNED TO BE ABASED AND TO ABOUND, IN ANY CONDITION, I HAVE LEARNED TO BE CONTENT"
For the true saints, God takes care of His own!
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 16, 2009
God owns everything. He's ready to give, but from all indications, some are not willing to recieve. Good luck!
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by solosimple(m): 11:51am On Apr 16, 2009
God owns everything, no doubt. And I guess no know should have problem with receiving. But there is different between receiving from God and trying to play smart with God. e.g: If I give prophet offering, first fruit, tithe etc, God will bless me more. That is not scriptural. The money could as well be taken to an herbalist house, there are some help there too for the covetous.
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by Nobody: 12:07pm On Apr 16, 2009
When you give, you recieve. It's that simple. If you gave from a good heart, you'll recieve, even if the money was taken to a jazzman.
Re: Reasons Why I Am Against Prosperity Gospel And Tithing: by solosimple(m): 12:13pm On Apr 16, 2009
So tell me you are in the game of lottery where u play to win. God loves a cheerful giver, and Bible encourages us to be givers. But with twisting scriptures for money-making sake, God would have us all turn away from such

(1) (Reply)

All Religions Are Purely For Deception / Do Born-again Christians Sin? / I Visited Heaven And Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.