Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,053 members, 7,828,706 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

Open Letter To All Nigerian Graduating Students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Open Letter To All Nigerian Graduating Students (406 Views)

Lady Expelled From Covenant University In 300L, Becomes Best Graduating Student / Five Best Graduating Students Across Nigerian Universities Awarded With Largesse / 15 Pictures That Will Make Sense To Every Nigerian Graduating This Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Open Letter To All Nigerian Graduating Students by Nobody: 8:14am On Sep 20, 2015
I want to use the platform to specially celebrate all graduate from the University of Benin as well as all that have and will be graduating this year all across Nigeria tertiary Institutions. As a matter of fact, it is estimated that about 1.8 million students like you and I will be graduating this year.

As you engage in the ritual that accompany being a graduate like the final year dinner, sent-forth, pouring of water, etc. In as much as I want you to enjoy the moment, because it’s actually a moment worth celebrating, I want to quickly use this medium to introduce you to another plain line of thinking that you qualify to be introduced into since you are graduating or have graduated.

Before I introduce you, I want you to quickly change certain assumptions of yours and beliefs that now you have graduated there may not be another semester of waking up for early class, reading all through the night preparing for test and also examination.

I call this a false assumption, because now that you have complete your under-graduate study, you have ended an aspect of your life and enter another aspect.

Funny enough now the “courses” you will be taking will be tougher, there may be no lecturer to physically come around to teach you, there will be no specific time for your test, assignment as well as your examination.

The larger system you are entering now will assume you should know that you ought to constantly prepare and so will not tell you this.

Despite the toughness of these times, there may no longer be that opportunity for you to call home for some pocket money, because now you are at home. Often at times you begin to get call from others places for you to send money. So with all these reality staring at you, what would you do to position yourself in a class that makes you not just equal to the task, but above the tasks ahead.

I have personally observed and postulate that it may take an average graduate between one to two years to sufficiently unlearn the formal school system and begin to gradually fit into the market place or world of work.

For some, it may take as long as three years. But no matter how short or long it take, it will certainly take some time. In-between this unlearning and relearning process – which is certainly not taught in schools, How would you as a 21st century graduate, from a developing country operating the 19th century system of education system fit appreciatively and become globally fit and competitive?

Here lies the million dollar question!!!.

Let me introduce you to the world of self and personal education. Research has shown that less than 2% of the average graduate students read just a book years after graduation. Most students after graduate would exclaim that they have left the prison of the school system.

They may partially be right; because they have left a system and have unknowingly entered into another system. And operating in this new system, constant study is a fundamental requirement, it’s not an option.

Now I welcome you to a new and dynamic world, a world that don’t demand or require you to cram some definition and pass, but a world that demand your active participation if you want to pass or succeed.

A system that requires you to be open to new ideas on a regular basis without losing certain essential principles: A world that no longer requires you not to talk in an examination condition, but reality to pass life examination you must constantly talk to men who overtime proven themselves to be worthy of emulation.

I welcome you to a world of learning and mastering your personality and both your emotional and intellectual intelligence. A system that support a robust intra and interpersonal relationship:

Now your success will not be measured with you covering your work that others may not copy, but rather to publish your ideas and solution for others to see and learn. I can safely say that copying in this system is allowed.

I welcome you to the system were mentorship is a critical requirement, and were preparation is on a daily basis. Studying paying attention to what happens around you and seeking to be relevant is critically welcomed. In this world you personally determine how long you stay in a particular level or class. It could be longer than expected or shorter than expected it all depend on you.

I welcome you to a season of responsibility. Quit giving excuses and take personal responsibility for your life. So when you look back at today, you will of a truth say thank God I Listen to this UNCOMMON ADVICE. This is not time to be scared of what the future holds for you. This is the time to decide what you want and give your all to get it.

Don’t be scared the FUTURE IS BRIGHT. ATTEMPT GREAT THINGS NOW, BE BOLD, ADVANCE INTO THAT THING YOU CALL YOU DREAM AND ACHIEVE SUCCESS.

By……
INEGBENOISE EMMANUEL (Graduate of Accounting, University Of Benin, Benin City) AKA UNCOMMON EMMANUEL.

Fmr. SUG Director of Finance, Uniben (2013/2014)
President/Founder Uncommon Wisdom International and Author of the Book Certificate is not enough
WhatApp – 08071183050,
08135534857 (Text only……)

Cc: Lalasticlala Ishilove

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Unilorin VC Laments Inability To Admit More Students / Why I Hate School But Love Education / Ansu Supplementary form out 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.