Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? (27089 Views)

Poll: Do You Think It Will Be Successful?

Yes: 65% (19 votes)
No: 34% (10 votes)
This poll has ended

Join The Sucessful Team Of Enterpreneurs Today!!! SHEVA CAMPUS CATERING / Subway Vs Quiznos: Who Make The Better Subs? / Subway Workers Are Too Slow! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by FBS: 2:06pm On May 14, 2009
bluespice:

its sad that we have no big brands like subway, mc donalds, kfc n papa johns in 9ja
same question here in my head for a long time now.
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by wanville(m): 4:18pm On May 14, 2009
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by slimfine(f): 8:18pm On May 14, 2009
If you are allowed to open the business, it will succeed is cheap. like N200 for a piece of sandwich
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by promkingzz(m): 1:23pm On May 16, 2009
i think most of that is gonna be successful in 9ja, in the near future though. there's a lot with this country that has got to be fixed. considering the proportion of the rich to the poor in this country, i totally think the standard of living has to be leveled a bit more for such franchises to sell. the locales like Biggs n' all aint totally making it, i don't see more sophisticated ones like Subway making it to the roof either. so i think its not gonna be a very good deal, at lest for now
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by promkingzz(m): 1:39pm On May 16, 2009
promkingzz:

i think most of that is gonna be successful in 9ja, in the near future though. there's a lot with this country that has got to be fixed. considering the proportion of the rich to the poor in this country, i totally think the standard of living has to be leveled a bit more for such franchises to sell. the locales like Biggs n' all aint totally making it, i don't see more sophisticated ones like Subway making it to the roof either. so i think its not gonna be a very good deal, at lest for now
,,,,,,,,,its also not just enough to say "its a pity we don't have such brands like Subway in 9ja". how many fast-lane Nigerians can really afford to pay 200bucks for a burger instead of buy a 30bucks bread,recharge their phone with 100bucks, buy a bottle of Coke to go with the bread for 50bucks which now sells for 60bucks in some cities, and be happy to keep a 20bucks change after achieving a lot from just 200bucks rather than just one burger. Aren't we even lucky to be conversant with foreign brands as those? do u believe that some people in this country have not even heard names like Sizzlers and Tantalizers? sounds too crazy to be true hu?but its for real. our economy needs serious attention from our leaders who have refused to spread Love to their fellow citizens. may God help us

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by garfields(m): 10:47am On May 17, 2009
We should be planning on how to inprove on our Nigerian junks than patronising and lauding westerns`how can you possibly be praying you go by giving an average/typical Naija with junks that does not mak sense to Him. Do white men eat amala,fufu or even ordinary refined semovita?

Please guyz help us with better issues.If subway dont trive dont blame it on anybody or say anything negatve about it.It is an inferiority complex yearn!As in opata! tongue because we are not oyibo. ok ,Get it into your black heads and be Nigerian. you can give it a trial elswhere across the boarder. Or you relax and soak garri, period!
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by latch(m): 10:10pm On May 17, 2009
Nigerians arent into sandwiches, its simply not in our culture. The chicken joints thrive cos the blackman loves chicken (a nandos market dev officer I know here, told me that in no other country do they sell as much chicken as they do in Nigeria) , so you may start thinking of some checken related franchise.

Having said that, McDonalds monitors some type of global stability and economic development index which they consult in order to know which countries to get into. Most other fast food chains rely on that.
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by wanville(m): 4:28pm On May 18, 2009
? shocked
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by IGWEUSA(m): 9:06am On May 22, 2009
@ poster
To be honest with you, the Subway business can't succeed in Nigeria. Most average nigerians spend their money on foods/ snacks they dont know how to prepare or that consumes a lot of time to prepare. Hence, thats one of the reasons they would prefer buying Meat pies, hot dogs et cetera from MR BIggs instead of going to SUbway to buy 5 inches Sandwish for 500 naira or more. Who doesnt know how to prepare a sandwish?
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by romeo(m): 11:32am On May 24, 2009
McDonalds and Subway? No way!! without a proper food hygiene regulating body shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by whiteroses(f): 11:09am On Jul 01, 2009
placing onion and tomatoe with few olu in agege bread will sell better i'm afraid cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by chic2pimp(m): 1:32pm On Aug 06, 2009
whiteroses:

placing onion and tomatoe with few olu in agege bread will sell better i'm afraid cool
grin grin grin Although funny I do think u are right. It would be way cheaper as well. Anyawayz back to the question. Would it be succesful? hmmm, that's a tough one. THE big 4(mr bigg's,tantalizers,sweet sensation and tastee fried chicken) controls about 90% if not more of the fast food market in nigeria,it would be difficult to break in. As someone said earlier a chicken eatery would find it easier me thinks.

1 Like

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 3:23pm On Aug 06, 2009
I am sure it will survive.
Nigerians like eat out, as long as u make the place nice and some nice TV where they can watch some shows, and where lovers can just stare at each others' eye, it will be fine.
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA(f): 6:33pm On Aug 14, 2009
im glad they said that mcdonalds and kfc were no-gos for nigeria.
THANK GOD!!
at least we wont have an obesity epidemic like in the US.
these people are so greedy!!! everything they do is to make money. they dont care for people's health.
they try and take their fattening mcdonalds and kfc to every country. its even all over china!! they might start having health problems too.
mr.biggs and chicken republic are like the mcdonalds and kfc of nigeria only that its much healthier and money is going to nigerians. i believe those are both nigerian owned food chains right?
well i dont think the money will be going to the fat white man in america to stuff his pockets.
we need more home based food chains not ones from abroad. it will help nigeria's economy.
so are mr. biggs and chicken republic nigerian based and owned?
also i heard chicken republic wants to spead all over africa. grin

1 Like

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 6:34pm On Aug 14, 2009
THE AMAKA:

im glad they said that mcdonalds and kfc were no-gos for nigeria.
THANK GOD!!
at least we wont have an obesity epidemic like in the US.

these people are so greedy!!! everything they do is to make money. they dont care for people's health.
they try and take their fattening mcdonalds and kfc to every country. its even all over china!! they might start having health problems too.
mr.biggs and chicken republic are like the mcdonalds and kfc of nigeria only that its much healthier and money is going to nigerians. i believe those are both nigerian owned food chains right?
well i dont think the money will be going to the fat white man in america to stuff his pockets.
we need more home based food chains not ones from abroad. it will help nigeria's economy.
so are mr. biggs and chicken republic nigerian based and owned?
also i heard chicken republic wants to spead all over africa. grin

No matter what Nija people eat, they cant be as orobo as in the USA, cos by the time they eat at oshodi and they have to walk to Agege, the food will over-digest

1 Like

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA(f): 6:41pm On Aug 14, 2009
there is still other things like:
high sodium
trans fat
just unhealthy stuff no one should put in their body.
who cares how much they walk.
dont you know the might use okada or even cars!
we dont want an obesity problem in nigeria.
thank God greedy mcdonalds and KFC were no gos!
they cant take their greedy selves somewhere else.
we need more chains to be locally owned in nigeria, not from abroad.

so are chicken republic and mr. biggs nigerian own fast food chains? or do you know at all?

1 Like

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by Basildon1(m): 11:05pm On Aug 21, 2009
I'm sorry but NO! Naija ppl are not really health conscious, enough will not eat wheat bread or bread with seeds on it and then truth be told, it's not very filling and this might be discouraging to nigerians. I will wolf down a 12 incher with my eyes shining in 45 mins!!!!
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by pcptrading: 4:24pm On Mar 12, 2012
My family loves Subway sandwiches. Now there is a variety of fresh baked bread to choose from, a variety of sauces and condiments, and a real variety of fillings from seafood (tuna and crab salad), meatball, chicken, cold cuts, options to toast the bun or not, etc.
If you need it spicy there are jalapenos, banana peppers, onions and more. There is Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, oregano, oil and vinegar plus mayo, light mayo, honey mustard, mustard and more. If interested in opening a Subway please contact me as I am in the U.S. and I will try to get you the right connection.
K. Marciniak
www.pcptrading.com
purplecyberplanet@hotmail.com
pcptrading@comcast.net
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by bigfrancis21: 12:52am On Aug 05, 2014
latch: Nigerians arent into sandwiches, its simply not in our culture. The chicken joints thrive cos the blackman loves chicken (a nandos market dev officer I know here, told me that in no other country do they sell as much chicken as they do in Nigeria) , so you may start thinking of some checken related franchise.

Having said that, McDonalds monitors some type of global stability and economic development index which they consult in order to know which countries to get into. Most other fast food chains rely on that.

Many of Subway subs have chicken in them - chicken teriyaki, buffalo chicken, chicken bre.ast and chicken strips on any type of bread you want. And Subway meals are indeed fresh.
Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by bigfrancis21: 12:56am On Aug 05, 2014
promkingzz: ,,,,,,,,,its also not just enough to say "its a pity we don't have such brands like Subway in 9ja". how many fast-lane Nigerians can really afford to pay 200bucks for a burger instead of buy a 30bucks bread,recharge their phone with 100bucks, buy a bottle of Coke to go with the bread for 50bucks which now sells for 60bucks in some cities, and be happy to keep a 20bucks change after achieving a lot from just 200bucks rather than just one burger. Aren't we even lucky to be conversant with foreign brands as those? do u believe that some people in this country have not even heard names like Sizzlers and Tantalizers? sounds too crazy to be true hu?but its for real. our economy needs serious attention from our leaders who have refused to spread Love to their fellow citizens. may God help us

The same pessimism was expressed when Mr. Biggs was about to come to Nigeria - Nigerians aren't willing to spend more than N200 on a plate of food. However, what do you have today? Every Nigerian - average and rich alike, frequent Mr. Biggs/Mr. Fans regularly and pay N500 - N1,000 for a Mr. Biggs plate of rice that does not even fill up the plate halfway.

Nigerians are willing to spend on food, once the food tastes good and the food company has a good brand name.

In addition, the contribution margin of businesses in Nigeria is actually higher than in America. In America, the expected profit margin of a 'stable' and 'profitable' business is somewhere around 20% to 25%. Figures higher than 35% are bed of roses to wish for. Meanwhile in Nigeria it could be as high as 40% - 45%. Because, you pay less taxes in Nigeria and labor costs are cheap.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would A Subway Be Sucessful In Nigeria? by ultrazone(m): 12:37am On Jun 01, 2016

(1) (2) (Reply)

Keisuke Yamada Makes Banana Sculptures Using Toothpick & Spoon[ / How To Prepare Soyabeans / The Real Services You Need At A Sit,With The Free Delivery Is Now Affordable.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.