Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,284 members, 7,846,295 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? (1007 Views)

Killers Of Python In Calabar: Handling Snake Is Our Culture; no charms or juju / New Igbo Words Being Formed On Igbodefender.com / How The Southern Nigerian Ethnic Groups Formed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by AloyEmeka9: 5:55am On Apr 14, 2009
Are we prejudiced by nature or by experience?. Every Nigerian seems to be somewhat prejudiced from what I can witness from here. If you think you are not prejudiced, answer these questions sincerely.

1. You are Nigerian and you have a choice of picking one partner from a pool of three eligible ones. Three of them are likable and meet every standard you desire in a partner except that just one of them is from your tribe. Will you give the other two equal chances like the one from your tribe?. If your answer is yes, then answer question 2.

2. What if only one of the three people is black and Nigerian while the other two are Asian and European. Will you give the three an equal opportunity during your selection process without any form of bias?.
Re: Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:47pm On Apr 14, 2009
The answers to those questions depend on who you are and whether or not you care to let your culture continue through you. If you don't care, then I don't think it would matter. If you did care, then I don't think you'd stray far from home to find a mate. Also, bias is inherent in all of us. That's how we make decisions. We all have preferences. So I don't see what the big deal is. Personally me, I can just barely conceive of me marrying outside Ngwa, let alone Igbo. . . how much more outside of Nigeria? I can be, and am cool with virtually anybody I meet. I don't mind doing business with different people (I believe in open-trade). I don't mind associating with a variety of different people. I don't mind collaborating with different kinds of people. But if I were to settle down with a partner, I'd prefer someone from home base.
Re: Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by natty666(m): 7:31am On Apr 18, 2009
You should know that the world has now become a global village and it has always been part of man to explore and conquer. Giving the three a chance depend on who u are, there are adventurous men that will find reasons to see the world through these ladies eyes and be ready to pick the one that gives him most joy and comfort for thats the aim of marriage. The culture is what u make of it, because we are in the new millenium.

Blackpriest
Re: Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by Afam4eva(m): 10:37am On Apr 18, 2009
I think Aloy.emeka is totally right. The only thing that would make me marry outside my tribe is if i find something special in that person that i don'tfound in someone from my tribe. So since they all have good equall attributes then i'd go for the girl from my tribe cos it will only make life easier.
Re: Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by iice(f): 10:53am On Apr 18, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Are we prejudiced by nature or by experience?. Every Nigerian seems to be somewhat prejudiced from what I can witness from here. If you think you are not prejudiced, answer these questions sincerely.

1. You are Nigerian and you have a choice of picking one partner from a pool of three eligible ones. Three of them are likable and meet every standard you desire in a partner except that just one of them is from your tribe. Will you give the other two equal chances like the one from your tribe?. If your answer is yes, then answer question 2.

2. What if only one of the three people is black and Nigerian while the other two are Asian and European. Will you give the three an equal opportunity during your selection process without any form of bias?.

1. yes

2. yes
Re: Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by AloyEmeka9: 12:59pm On Apr 18, 2009
I think Aloy.emeka is totally right. The only thing that would make me marry outside my tribe is if i find something special in that person that i don'tfound in someone from my tribe. So since they all have good equall attributes then i'd go for the girl from my tribe cos it will only make life easier.
How will the girl from your tribe make life any easier for you?. How will you treat question 2 assuming the only Nigerian girl there is not from your tribe, will you still pick her over the Asian and European ones because she will make life easier for you?
Re: Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by Afam4eva(m): 1:43pm On Apr 18, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

How will the girl from your tribe make life any easier for you?. How will you treat question 2 assuming the only Nigerian girl there is not from your tribe, will you still pick her over the Asian and European ones because she will make life easier for you?

I love isi-ewu, Nkwobi and ofe nsala very much. So marrying an Igbo wife means that there's a great possibility that i don't have to teach my wife how to make this dishes which would take my precious time if i was to marry from another tribe. . . . so it just makes life easier cause she will understand me better.
Re: Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by Afam4eva(m): 1:48pm On Apr 18, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

How will you treat question 2 assuming the only Nigerian girl there is not from your tribe, will you still pick her over the Asian and European ones because she will make life easier for you?
Yes, i'll go for her even if she's not from my tribe. . . . at least she will understand me better than an european or asian. I'd rather eat Amala than eat a frog.
Re: Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by AloyEmeka9: 1:49pm On Apr 18, 2009
I love isi-ewu, Nkwobi and ofe nsala very much. So marrying an Igbo wife means that there's a great possibility  that i don't have to teach my wife how to make this dishes which would take my precious time if i was to marry from another tribe. . . . so it just makes life easier cause she will understand me better.
That's not an excuse because some igbo women don't know how to prepare them. Those things are no problem nowadays since you can either buy prepared ones or make them yourself. I love onugbu so much and my fiancee is not igbo, so i cook them myself.
Re: Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by Afam4eva(m): 1:53pm On Apr 18, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

That's not an excuse because some igbo women don't know how to prepare them.

That's why i said there's a great possibility that she knows how to cook them.
Re: Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by Afam4eva(m): 1:55pm On Apr 18, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Those things are no problem nowadays since you can either buy prepared ones or make them yourself. I love onugbu so much and my fiancee is not igbo, so i cook them myself.

Do you know u can use that time to do smething more important? That's why i said life will be much easier when you marry someone from your tribe.
Re: Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by AloyEmeka9: 1:59pm On Apr 18, 2009
Do you know u can use that time to do smething more important? That's why i said life will be much easier when you marry someone from your tribe
If that is not that important to you, use the time nd make some money while you get mama Ngozi that runs a restaurant to deliver them at home for you. what's the big deal here?
Re: Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by bawomolo(m): 3:53pm On Apr 18, 2009
afam4eva:

Do you know u can use that time to do smething more important? That's why i said life will be much easier when you marry someone from your tribe.

lol so it's the woman's job to cook right?
Re: Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:00pm On Apr 18, 2009
bawomolo:

lol so it's the woman's job to cook right?
It's funny how people seem to want to interpret what is not there.
Re: Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by IFELEKE(m): 5:50pm On Apr 18, 2009
@Poster,
We are truly prejudiced often time by our immediate environment.
To answer you question,I am marrying for LOVE and no Tribal Sentiments,Ethnic Affliations or Religious Bias Can STOP That.
Re: Are We Prejudiced B/c Our Culture Formed Us That Way? by AloyEmeka9: 7:22pm On Apr 18, 2009
@Poster,
We are truly prejudiced often time by our immediate environment.
To answer you question,I am marrying for LOVE and no Tribal Sentiments,Ethnic Affliations or Religious Bias Can STOP That.
Thanks and I hope you are sincere. Looking forward to more Nigerians like this.

1. yes

2. yes
@iice, you too.

(1) (Reply)

For Non Nigerians, What Made You Join Nairaland? / Useles Ibeku Youth Association President / Three Year Old Remembers Pastlife, Identifies Murderer Andlocation Of Body

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.