Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,985 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:21 PM

5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria (4726 Views)

Our Accepting Things As They Are Mentality In Naija / Captain Bower, Idi-ogungun And The Establishment Of Colonial Seat Of Power / 14 African Countries Still Pay Colonial Masters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 1:57pm On Oct 06, 2015
macof:

Why is this about Jesus complexion? Should any sane Nigerian worship a Jew in the first place?

Are you a christian?
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by llaykorn: 2:26pm On Oct 06, 2015
macof:

Why don't Americans speak English the British way?

Inferiority complex oshi. .u are shamelessly trying to defend such disgusting act

Americans won't speak English with a British accent because citizens of both countries are native speakers of the English Language.

Who is even speaking with a Nigerian accent? The Yoruba man who pronounces 'the chair' as 'di sheer' or the Igbo man who pronounces 'flat' and 'frat' the same way? Well, maybe it's the Hausa man who pronounces 'pee' as 'fee' and 'fee' as 'pee'

What's a Nigerian accent? Tell me.

We know what an American accent is, and we know what a British accent is. Then, we know what an Irish accent is, and we can notice the differences between them. Tell me, what is the difference between a Nigerian and an American accent?

Nigerian - American (flat - frat) (the - d) (chair - sheer) (fee - pee) ? This your Nigerian accent thing is nothing but a joke! Sit down, take some time away from your gadgets, and THINK!

Any accent of the English language which is influenced by local languages of the speakers is not an acceptable one. The language of Ireland is English, and so is America and Britain.

A Ghanaian man who pronounces 'fork' as 'feck' and 'but' as 'bet' as it is pronounced in the Ghanaian accent English would be none but a subscriber to inferiority complex if he tries to learn to pronounce the correct way - in your opinion?

I don't think you should reply this if you're only going to show the world how much of a cyber bully you are than a logical debator, just like you just did above.

smiley
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 3:23pm On Oct 06, 2015
llaykorn:

Americans won't speak English with a British accent because citizens of both countries are native speakers of the English Language.

Who is even speaking with a Nigerian accent? The Yoruba man who pronounces 'the chair' as 'di sheer' or the Igbo man who pronounces 'flat' and 'frat' the same way? Well, maybe it's the Hausa man who pronounces 'pee' as 'fee' and 'fee' as 'pee'

We know what an American accent is, and we know what a British accent is. Then, we know what an Irish accent is, and we can notice the differences between them. Tell me, what is the difference between a Nigerian and an American accent?

Nigerian - American (flat - frat) (the - d) (chair - sheer) (fee - pee) ? This your Nigerian accent thing is nothing but a joke! Sit down, take some time away from your gadgets, and THINK!

Any accent of the English language which is influenced by local languages of the speakers is not an acceptable one. The language of Ireland is English, and so is America and Britain.

A Ghanaian man who pronounces 'fork' as 'feck' and 'but' as 'bet' as it is pronounced in the Ghanaian accent English would be none but a subscriber to inferiority complex if he tries to learn to pronounce the correct way - in your opinion?

I don't think you should reply this if you're only going to show the world how much of a cyber bully you are than a logical debator, just like you just did above.

smiley

Welsh people speak English and Welsh. The accent in Wales is different from that in England
Irish people speak English and Irish (Gaelic). The accent in Ireland is different from that in England

Someone born in London would speak differently from someone in Liverpool.

WATER

USA (southern accent)- "Waderr"
England (inner London)- "Woo'er"
England (Liverpool)- "Wooter"

Which accent is correct? You think Nigerian pronunciation is bad? Go and listen to the different accents abroad.

Just as Igbo, Hausa and Yorubas have their distinct accents when speaking English, so do scots, inner London, Liverpudians and Welsh people have their own distinct accents.

There is a general English accent in England, despite regional differences. Same with Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 3:27pm On Oct 06, 2015
llaykorn:

smiley

Bros, with all your education and literary skills, you write this nonsense?

You fall my hand. Don't type such again!

Infact, delete this username and change your name from "Llaykorn" to "Lekan". grin grin grin

Na slap go close your mouth if you try speak that phonetics near me. grin grin

You are still my guy sha. No shaking. ***awaiting your next poem***
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:45pm On Oct 06, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Welsh people speak English and Welsh. The accent in Wales is different from that in England
Irish people speak English and Irish (Gaelic). The accent in Ireland is different from that in England

Someone born in London would speak differently from someone in Liverpool.

WATER

USA (southern accent)- "Waderr"
England (inner London)- "Woo'er"
England (Liverpool)- "Wooter"

Which accent is correct? You think Nigerian pronunciation is bad? Go and listen to the different accents abroad.

Just as Igbo, Hausa and Yorubas have their distinct accents when speaking English, so do scots, inner London, Liverpudians and Welsh people have their own distinct accents.

There is a general English accent in England, despite regional differences. Same with Nigeria.

speaking in a thick unrefined Nigerian accent [Yoruba for e.g] would never be correct. The pronunciation of words would be wrong & comical..
stop mentioning Wales or asking why Americans don't speak like British or why the British don't tryna imitate the Yankees..
english is their native language..& only differences in em' are regional dialect.. ..
Ekiti, Osun, Oyo & Ondo are. speak Yoruba but there are still differences in accentuation.. .That doesn't mean any of em' is wrong, because Yoruba is their mother tongue.

A template Nigerian accent is what the likes of Wole Soyinka, Genevieve, Omotola, King Sunny Ade & Co. have.... the one devoid or almost devoid of whether Ibo,Hausa or yoruba accent. .
If you speak like that, you'd be considered literate..

I don't even know what this argument is for..why would anyone think that attempting self-betterment by striving to speak correctly = inferiority complex.. that's insane
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:21pm On Oct 06, 2015
darkenedrebel:

speaking in a thick unrefined Nigerian accent [Yoruba for e.g] would never be correct. The pronunciation of words would be wrong & comical..
stop mentioning Wales or asking why Americans don't speak like British or why the British don't tryna imitate the Yankees..
english is their native language..& only differences in em' are regional dialect.. ..
Ekiti, Osun, Oyo & Ondo are. speak Yoruba but there are still differences in accentuation.. .That doesn't mean any of em' is wrong, because Yoruba is their mother tongue.

A template Nigerian accent is what the likes of Wole Soyinka, Genevieve, Omotola, King Sunny Ade & Co. have.... the one devoid or almost devoid of whether Ibo,Hausa or yoruba accent. .
If you speak like that, you'd be considered literate..

I don't even know what this argument is for..why would anyone think that attempting self-betterment by striving to speak correctly = inferiority complex.. that's insane

The problem here is that there is no concise way to speak correctly. What truly matters is the grammar and not the pronunciation. As long as the listener can understand what you are saying, there is no issue.

Also, you are wrong- English is not the native tongue of Welsh or Irish people. They had their languages but English took over.

By the way, you are mixing things up- there is a difference between a tribal accented person trying to speak with a tribe-less Nigerian accent and trying to speak with a british/american accent.

Jamaicans present news with jamaican accent
Nigerians present news with British/American accents

There is definitely a problem here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:30pm On Oct 06, 2015
If you can speak English with a correct British accent, without having to force it, I really do not mind. I cannot pretend I do not enjoy listening to presenters who do it correctly, without forcing it. What I find disagreeable is when people who do not have the accent or people who cannot pull it off with ease fill my ears with nonsense in the name of phoné. In that case, use your Nigerian accent, for heaven's sake. Nothing inferior about or wrong with a Nigerian accent.
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:33pm On Oct 06, 2015
Radoillo:
If you can speak English with a correct British accent, I really do not mind. I cannot pretend I do not enjoy listening to presenters who do it correctly. What I find disagreeable is when people who do not have the accent or people who cannot pull it off fill my ears with nonsense in the name of phoné. In that case, use your Nigerian accent, for heaven's sake. Nothing wrong with a Nigerian accent.

Nice. But why pretend?

Speak with your accent. As long as your grammar is good and I can hear you, no problem.

1 Like

Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:36pm On Oct 06, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Nice. But why pretend?

Speak with your accent. As long as your grammar is good and I can hear you, no problem.

Some of these presenters on radio/TV actually have a British educational background and are not really 'forming' when they talk like that on air. For them, it's not pretence. In such cases, I think it's perfectly okay. I do not mind at all.
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:46pm On Oct 06, 2015
Radoillo:

Some of these presenters on radio/TV actually have a British educational background and are not really 'forming' when they talk like that on air. For them, it's not pretence. In such cases, I think it's perfectly okay. I do not mind at all.

I studied abroad and many have studied abroad without getting accents. Some of these guys are truly forming.

1 Like

Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by joseph1832(m): 9:57pm On Oct 06, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

I'm curious! Why American?
Just messing with you bruv. LOL. gringringrin
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by macof(m): 10:00am On Oct 07, 2015
llaykorn:

smiley

Smh. You made no sense. But u sha showed that you don't know what a dialect and accent is
Go and learn that first then come back

Btw English is not America's native language
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by macof(m): 10:30am On Oct 07, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Are you a christian?

Why nt answer my question
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:48am On Oct 07, 2015
macof:

Why nt answer my question

Jesus is a great guy. wink
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by joseph1832(m): 10:53am On Oct 07, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Indeed he is. And so is Muhammed (pbuh). grin
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:57am On Oct 07, 2015
joseph1832:
Indeed he is. And so is Muhammed (pbuh). grin

undecided
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by joseph1832(m): 11:03am On Oct 07, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

undecided
You have a smudge on your face bruv. tongue
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 11:08am On Oct 07, 2015
joseph1832:
You have a smudge on your face bruv. tongue

Nice one. You trolled me well.
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by joseph1832(m): 11:09am On Oct 07, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Nice one. You trolled me well.
It wasn't me! LOL.
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by macof(m): 2:07pm On Oct 07, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

So is Orunmila
Why not worship orunmila? Do you have to go to the middle-east to look for "great guys" to worship?
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 3:09pm On Oct 07, 2015
macof:

So is Orunmila
Why not worship orunmila? Do you have to go to the middle-east to look for "great guys" to worship?

are you assuming that I'm Yoruba?
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by macof(m): 3:44pm On Oct 07, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

are you assuming that I'm Yoruba?

jjust answer my question
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:58pm On Oct 07, 2015
macof:

jjust answer my question

You're a pagan and I'm a christian. No need for long thing
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by macof(m): 8:05pm On Oct 07, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

You're a pagan and I'm a christian. No need for long thing

So you can't answer simple questions?
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:51pm On Oct 07, 2015
macof:

So you can't answer simple questions?

Not interested
Re: 5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:24am On Jul 24, 2022
Interesting threead

(1) (2) (Reply)

KEAGBOREKUZI I, The Youngest Crowned King In The World / South African Women Show Nipples Without Bra At Calabar Carnival (VIDEO + Photo) / Mis-used And Mis-pronounced English Words

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.