Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,710 members, 7,831,219 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

Must Read: Tips For Top Quality Web Sites. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Must Read: Tips For Top Quality Web Sites. (781 Views)

Drupal 7 Bible Free Download (Start Building And Managing Web Sites With Drupal) / Anonymous Hackers Hit Cia, Un Web Sites / Over A Million Web Sites Affected In Mass Sql Injection Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must Read: Tips For Top Quality Web Sites. by prodgalson: 6:45pm On Apr 14, 2009
I found this wonderful post, full of examples and tips on what makes quality web sites so special. The details are so subtle, but make such a huge difference in giving your site the 'polished' look. Finally someone has put all these details (most of them) in one place!

http://wefunction.com/2009/04/quality-within-web-design/
Re: Must Read: Tips For Top Quality Web Sites. by Cactus(m): 2:59pm On Apr 15, 2009
dat is bs actually.

You do what you have to do in the best way possible so your work will be ok. And if that means following that to you. Good luck to you.
Re: Must Read: Tips For Top Quality Web Sites. by prodgalson: 4:34pm On Apr 20, 2009
>> dat is bs actually.
>> "You do what you have to do in the best way possible so your work will be ok"

Sure, but if someone provides you with the tools and information to make your work even better, do you ignore it?

The article is a guide.  There have been many studies around aesthetics and visual experiences, that show why some visual work is more compelling than others.  Think about billboard adverts you see on the expressway; those designers follow certain rules to ensure the viewing experience will be successful.  They keep in mind a lot of factors, such as the size of the display, and location; the viewing distance and angle from the road--usually from below, in a car driving; the font, they must pick a very legible one;  the spacing between words and images, so that it can be read at a glance. 

The same concepts are in web design, you take into account screen resolution, complimentary colors, font size and placement, you realize that most users skim pages and are drawn to what elements are more prominent or stand out more, etc etc.  This article really makes a lot of these rules very clear. Here I am sharing it with you, and you say it is BS? 

I see so many sites from home that take none of these important points to mind, and your reply helps explain why.  Whether it is pride (because no one can teach you anything), or you just dont understand the value of such information,  no matter the reason, it's quite sad.
Re: Must Read: Tips For Top Quality Web Sites. by prodgalson: 5:22pm On Apr 20, 2009
Here's an example of one such study on User Experiences (from the official google blog)
http://googleblog..com/2009/02/eye-tracking-studies-more-than-meets.html

Also, a link to some books on user experience
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=user+experience&x=0&y=0

I hope some people will actually read and understand this information, and emerge as better designers or information architects because of it.

(1) (Reply)

Pls Help With My Acrobat / Let Design Your Website Banner For You / Clients From Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.