Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,439 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... (6137 Views)

Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Strange Scenes From Coronation Of Oba In Benin Kingdom. / Family Of Late Oba Of Benin Are Tenants In The Kingdom-ogiamen Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by nosairabor(m): 6:18pm On Sep 23, 2015
In Benin Kingdom, Edo State, nobody dares the Oba. In fact, for the Binis, the Oba is next to God, his words are laws and any attempt to question his authority is termed a taboo. What is more, whoever is the guilty party does not go scot-free.

However, there is tension in the ancient Kingdom currently following the pronouncement by a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Chief Rich Arisco Osemwingie, that he is now the Ogiamien of Benin Kingdom without the authority of the Oba.

Read more here: http://nosairabor..com/2015/09/war-in-benin-kingdom-as-ogiamen-names.html?m=1

---
T/IG: @nosairabor
BBM Channel: C00441F76
www.facebook.com/nosairaborsblog

Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by adedayourt(m): 6:18pm On Sep 23, 2015
grin
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by Sappyman(m): 6:25pm On Sep 23, 2015
I can smell death. No one plays with the Oba and goes free.
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by bokohalal(m): 7:12pm On Sep 23, 2015
There is no war in Benin Kingdom. The usurper to the Head of the Ogiamien House has been put in his place. His wealth has not saved him from agelong Benin tradition. He should also be investigated for the whereabouts of the real Ogiamien for so long. Not saying that he is responsible for the disappearance but appointing himself as the Head of the Ogiamien family due to the vacuum thus created should be taken into consideration.
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by tpiander: 8:34pm On Sep 23, 2015
^ their palace was the only one left standing in 1897?
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by bokohalal(m): 9:10pm On Sep 23, 2015
tpiander:
^ their palace was the only one left standing in 1897?

So the legend say. The family is without a doubt, one of the oldest known families in this part of Nigeria and they have always lived at the same ancestral compound even before the end of the Ogiso dynasty.
In the late seventies or early eighties, a mere boy,barely a teenager, became the head of the family due to primogeniture system practiced by the Binis. He has however been missing for over a decade and no one has been able to trace, sight or hear from him ever since. His disappearance resulted in a vacuum as he does not have a son to take over after him. In any case, he is deemed alive by the Palace and no EDAYI ( regent) has been appointed. The PDP money-miss-road attempted to take advantage of the situation. There are however certain things that money cannot buy you in Benin Kingdom.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by tpiander: 11:05pm On Sep 23, 2015
how did the teenager/preteen become the head of the family?

what happened to the previous Ogiamen?
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by bokohalal(m): 11:49pm On Sep 23, 2015
tpiander:
how did the teenager/preteen become the head of the family?

what happened to the previous Ogiamen?

Primogeniture, Tpia. His father, the Ogiamien ,died and as the oldest son, he became the Ogiamien.
In Benin tradition, you cannot be made a chief if your father is alive as it is unnatural for a father to pay obeisance to his son.
In places without an ENOGIE ( DUKE)the oldest man and citizen from there becomes the leader known as ODIONWERE (ELDER ) and constitutes a council of men,and in some cases, women, to help him govern. Of course, you cannot be older than your father to become one.
In a nutshell, most traditional titles in Biniland devolves on death of the previous holder.

1 Like

Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by bokohalal(m): 12:07am On Sep 24, 2015
In addition to the above, you do not have to have been BORN a Bini to become a chief. This especially applies to the class of chiefs called the EGHAEVBO n'ORE (TOWN CHIEFS) and Odionwere.
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by 1shortblackboy: 7:30am On Sep 25, 2015
Bini culture always interesting. But una names sha.... Make I no injure my brain say I dey read Bini names o
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by macof(m): 7:44pm On Sep 25, 2015
How does the Oba appoint the Ogiamien? I thought they are independent from the Oba's power
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by bokohalal(m): 2:38am On Sep 26, 2015
macof:
How does the Oba appoint the Ogiamien? I thought they are independent from the Oba's power
The Oba of Benin does not, and cannot,appoint any person who is already traditionally IN LINE to a stool or headship of a family.
In the present case,the self proclaimed Ogiamien is a usurper and the Oba and his chiefs will not allow civil disorder in the society because of the unconstitionality of the process by which Mr.Arisco Osemwengie named himself Ogiamien. He does not even bear the name as a last name.
Though independent of the Palace of the Oba,an Ogiamien is still required to 'legitimize ' the Obaship in a mock battle and treaty.
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by bokohalal(m): 2:40am On Sep 26, 2015
The title of this thread is incongruous.
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by macof(m): 10:22am On Sep 26, 2015
bokohalal:

The Oba of Benin does not, and cannot,appoint any person who is already traditionally IN LINE to a stool or headship of a family.
In the present case,the self proclaimed Ogiamien is a usurper and the Oba and his chiefs will not allow civil disorder in the society because of the unconstitionality of the process by which Mr.Arisco Osemwengie named himself Ogiamien. He does not even bear the name as a last name.
I see

Though independent of the Palace of the Oba,an Ogiamien is still required to 'legitimize ' the Obaship in a mock battle and treaty.

Yeah that's what I was talking about
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by osemwengie1: 11:32am On Oct 10, 2015
bokohalal:

So the legend say. The family is without a doubt, one of the oldest known families in this part of Nigeria and they have always lived at the same ancestral compound even before the end of the Ogiso dynasty.
In the late seventies or early eighties, a mere boy,barely a teenager, became the head of the family due to primogeniture system practiced by the Binis. He has however been missing for over a decade and no one has been able to trace, sight or hear from him ever since. His disappearance resulted in a vacuum as he does not have a son to take over after him. In any case, he is deemed alive by the Palace and no EDAYI ( regent) has been appointed. The PDP money-miss-road attempted to take advantage of the situation. There are however certain things that money cannot buy you in Benin Kingdom.
. The family appointed him the new Ogiamien. I beg you people don't play politics with my family name. Since we can't find Osarobo we crowned a new king. If you know where Osarobo is bring him out. is it by force to be APC.
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by bokohalal(m): 4:40pm On Oct 10, 2015
osemwengie1:
. The family appointed him the new Ogiamien. I beg you people don't play politics with my family name. Since we can't find Osarobo we crowned a new king. If you know where Osarobo is bring him out. is it by force to be APC.
Osemwengie, vbo logho? Everything is politics to you? Is he the only member of Ogiamien family? Would you have supported him if he was a member of APC? If your answer is NO, it goes to show that you know he doesn't deserve to be the Ogiamien.
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by osemwengie1: 7:04pm On Oct 10, 2015
bokohalal:

Osemwengie, vbo logho? Everything is politics to you? Is he the only member of Ogiamien family? Would you have supported him if he was a member of APC? If your answer is NO, it goes to show that you know he doesn't deserve to be the Ogiamien.
. Don't talk about what you don't know. Osemwengie was part of those that followed Osarobo as Ogiamien army during the mock battle with Oba Erediawa. The disappearance of Osarobo is in the hands of the late Erediawa. The family has waited for more than 17 years how long do you want us to wait. The truth is Osarobo ancestors brought disgrace to Ogiamien family. They are the only once that bear Obazee, Igbineweka e.t.c. A name that spite the Ogiamien title. as such the family decided to shift the throne to another line what is wrong with it. He was crowned by Ogiamien chiefs . The fact that he's PDP has nothing to do with it. He's a true son of Ogiamien and as the new head the owner of benin Kingdom pending when it will be divided by a new treaty with Eheneden which the Oba's palace are trying to avoid. If this is the case, the Oba has to leave benin coz he is a foreigner.The land belongs to Ogiamien. The only family member not in support of this are Osarobo siblings. In actual fact they are not Ogiamien coz there's dispute about the birth of their father (Obazee ) whose pregnancy was just 7 months. This shows the mum was pregnant before Ogiamien married her. For your information the mum was given to Ogiamien as a gift by Oba Akenzua.

1 Like

Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by tpiander: 7:34pm On Oct 10, 2015
lot of salacious "information" here.

what does this mean btw:

the owner of benin Kingdom pending when it will be divided

divided as how?
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by macof(m): 9:06pm On Oct 10, 2015
tpiander:
lot of salacious "information" here.

what does this mean btw:

divided as how?

I guess Ogiamien sells the greater part of Benin Kingdom to the current Oba and keeps the rest to himself
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by macof(m): 9:13pm On Oct 10, 2015
osemwengie1, bokohalal.

Is it possible that the controversy with Ogiamien is responsible for the palace's silence on the health of the Oba?(people think him dead) Seeing as nobody can succeed the Oba without the presence of Ogiamien
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by osemwengie1: 10:34pm On Oct 10, 2015
macof:
osemwengie1, bokohalal.

Is it possible that the controversy with Ogiamien is responsible for the palace's silence on the health of the Oba?(people think him dead) Seeing as nobody can succeed the Oba without the presence of Ogiamien
. The silence of the health of the Oba is normal practice. The problem at the Oba palace is as a result of issues with who to succeed the late obah. However it seems Eheneden has been choosing.
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by osemwengie1: 10:41pm On Oct 10, 2015
macof:

I guess Ogiamien sells the greater part of Benin Kingdom to the current Oba and keeps the rest to himself
. The Ogiamien never accepted the Oba, the Binis in order to avoid war btw the Oba and Ogiamien ordered the Ogiamien to sell part of bini to the Oba. The Ogiamien agreed but insist before the coronation of a new Oba he must re purchase the land from Ogiamien. that's the treaty. so the land was divided btw the Ogiamien controlled part of benin which is known as Utantan and the part the Ogiamien leased to the Oba. Eheneden must repurchase the land from Ogiamien. This is usually done tru a mock battle btw Ogiamien and the Oba to be. The Oba to be den present Ogiamien with gift amongst whom are slaves, a traditional stool e.t.c. The major

1 Like

Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by osemwengie1: 10:45pm On Oct 10, 2015
This was the point the missing Ogiamien (Osarobo Okunghae) the small boy in the pic leased some part of benin to the late Oba Erediawa. So Eheneden has to do same with Arisco Osemwengie Ogiamien.

Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by bokohalal(m): 11:01pm On Oct 10, 2015
osemwengie1:
. Don't talk about what you don't know. Osemwengie was part of those that followed Osarobo as Ogiamien army during the mock battle with Oba Erediawa. The disappearance of Osarobo is in the hands of the late Erediawa. The family has waited for more than 17 years how long do you want us to wait. The truth is Osarobo ancestors brought disgrace to Ogiamien family. They are the only once that bear Obazee, Igbineweka e.t.c. A name that spite the Ogiamien title. as such the family decided to shift the throne to another line what is wrong with it. He was crowned by Ogiamien chiefs . The fact that he's PDP has nothing to do with it. He's a true son of Ogiamien and as the new head the owner of benin Kingdom pending when it will be divided by a new treaty with Eheneden which the Oba's palace are trying to avoid. If this is the case, the Oba has to leave benin coz he is a foreigner.The land belongs to Ogiamien. The only family member not in support of this are Osarobo siblings. In actual fact they are not Ogiamien coz there's dispute about the birth of their father (Obazee ) whose pregnancy was just 7 months. This shows the mum was pregnant before Ogiamien married her. For your information the mum was given to Ogiamien as a gift by Oba Akenzua.
If you are to be believed, you are at least sixty years old.
To the best of my knowledge of Benin history, a certain Evian, the progenitor of the Ogiamiens, was appointed by the elders of Igodomigodo to administer the Kingdom in the absence of anyone from Ogiso Family taking over after Owodo. This honour was bestowed on him because he had been able to kill a monster that used to terrorize market people at Agbado market. (The name AGBADO is from the Edo "AGBADO AIGBADE" WE GO TRADE TOGETHER BUT DO NOT COME OUT TOGETHER as the monster used to come devour people every market day.)
Evian died and his son decided to succeed his father and the Edos protested that he was not a blueblood and that led to the search for Ekaladerhan which ultimately led to Oranmiyan.
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by bokohalal(m): 11:18pm On Oct 10, 2015
It is obvious that the Edos never regarded the Evian Family and they were never really able to consolidate power when they had it.
Even the GRUNDNORM theory, when applied to Benin Kingdom, will hold that there came a new administration that was able to carry out all the functions of a government and became, in law and in fact (DE JURE et DE FACTO) the recognized and existing power ,in the Kingdom: and that is the EWEKA DYNASTY, of which yours truly, is a proud member
That is the problem that the Ogiamiens face. As the state attorney general has said ,this is nothing short of a traditional "coup d'etat ." The Oba is backed by law and the people,and I doubt if you ,Osemwengie, want to become an OGHION OBA.
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by bokohalal(m): 11:25pm On Oct 10, 2015
osemwengie1:
. The silence of the health of the Oba is normal practice. The problem at the Oba palace is as a result of issues with who to succeed the late obah. However it seems Eheneden has been choosing.
I doubt if you are truly a Bini.
Eheneden has been HEIR APPARENT since he was born!
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by osemwengie1: 12:32am On Oct 11, 2015
bokohalal:

I doubt if you are truly a Bini.
Eheneden has been HEIR APPARENT since he was born!
.You know nothing really. Where you aware the kingmakers rejected Eheneden. I don't need to argue with you, coz you know nothing
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by osemwengie1: 12:38am On Oct 11, 2015
http://www.edo-nation.net/naiwu1.htm Ogiamien owns benin Kingdom. The Oba is a foreigner
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by bokohalal(m): 1:34am On Oct 11, 2015
osemwengie1:
.You know nothing really. Where you aware the kingmakers rejected Eheneden. I don't need to argue with you, coz you know nothing
Who was in contention? For your information ,EGIA SE GBERE (heredity) is applied same way in all families that are entitled to it,including the monarchy and the Ogiamien,in Benin Kingdom. The eldest surviving son inherits his late father's office. Insanity is not even a bar to the rule.
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by bokohalal(m): 1:39am On Oct 11, 2015
osemwengie1:
http://www.edo-nation.net/naiwu1.htm Ogiamien owns benin Kingdom. The Oba is a foreigner
I know my history. Onaiwu Osahon just confirmed my earlier comment. You have not disproved anything that I put up there. I wonder to what purpose your link has served.
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by bokohalal(m): 1:50am On Oct 11, 2015
The UZAMA N'IHINRON are not kingmakers in the sense that it is used by outsiders. Who submitted application for Obaship of Benin Kingdom to them?
Re: War In Benin Kingdom As Ogiamen Names Himself Ruler... by osemwengie1: 12:56pm On Oct 11, 2015
bokohalal:

I know my history. Onaiwu Osahon just confirmed my earlier comment. You have not disproved anything that I put up there. I wonder to what purpose your link has served.
. It also confirmed my point that Ogiamien is the owner of the entire bini land and that the Ogiamien leased some part to the Oba.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Usain Bolt Looks Nigerian, But Which Tribe? / Yorubas And Fulanis Are Isrealites (must Watch Video) / History Of Urhobo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.