Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,941 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

A Wireless Router Question. Help - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / A Wireless Router Question. Help (836 Views)

How To Create A Wireless Hotspot On A Computer / Can I Make My Starcomms Izap Modem A Wireless Hotspot Without A Wireless Router / How To Browse Free With Pc Using Your Fone As A Wireless Router (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Wireless Router Question. Help by Epi: 5:08am On Apr 16, 2009
Someone here has a laptop but unable to pick up signal.   He is telling me that he is picking up seven signals but unable to tell which one is mine undecided How do i know which signal is mine. His english is bad (learning english)and I have an accent, so there is a big communication problem.  undecided.  I told him to choose anyone but he is saying he need a password and I have no idea what he is talking about.  I told him to use the computer  in the house but he prefer to use his laptop.

How can I tell which signal is mine
Re: A Wireless Router Question. Help by platinumnk(f): 5:12am On Apr 16, 2009
you usually have a name for your signal. I set up my router in my home, and I set the name as the router name "Zykel" so when ever my laptop searches for networks and I see Zykel pop up I select it and boom~ I'm surfing on my network.
Hope this helps
Re: A Wireless Router Question. Help by Epi: 5:43am On Apr 16, 2009
ok thanks a million.  I'll have to find out what name they set-up for that one.  He is the first one to ask for password, others use the internet/their laptops without asking for password.

Again, thanks a million
Re: A Wireless Router Question. Help by platinumnk(f): 5:48am On Apr 16, 2009
Youre welcome wink
Well then your specific network might not carry a password, but some ppl dont like other ppl using their network without their permission so they put a password, I used to put a password on mines but i kept forgetting it so I removed it.
Your friend might be trying to log on to another persons network, try to find your name for yours or tell him to try to log on to networks that doesnt have a lock symbol around it, or called Unsecured network, and those networks your friend can surf on without a password.

Hope that helps 2
Re: A Wireless Router Question. Help by DualCore1: 8:10am On Apr 16, 2009
These links should help
http://netsecurity.about.com/od/stepbystep/ss/change_ssid.htm
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirelessproducts/qt/changessid.htm

every wireless router has an SSID that identifies it, unfortunately most people leave the default SSID so there's a confusion when there's more than one of the same kind of router in a given area.
Re: A Wireless Router Question. Help by lynxnoon(m): 11:48am On Apr 16, 2009
problem solved wink smiley
Re: A Wireless Router Question. Help by Epi: 5:52pm On Apr 16, 2009
Thanks Sir, the dude said something about SSID. Yea my area is a "hot-spot" You can easily get internet service there. Problem solved, the German finally got service without me doing anything

much love
Dual Core:

These links should help
http://netsecurity.about.com/od/stepbystep/ss/change_ssid.htm
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirelessproducts/qt/changessid.htm

every wireless router has an SSID that identifies it, unfortunately most people leave the default SSID so there's a confusion when there's more than one of the same kind of router in a given area.

Re: A Wireless Router Question. Help by DualCore1: 6:59pm On Apr 16, 2009
you're welcome.

epi:

much love
shocked shocked
all that for me?

yay now i think i can come over to your crib to fix this, oh no no its not a problem, i can come. oh yea i know the problem has been fixed, but i think i really need to come to check if the SSID was spelt correctly.  lolz.
Re: A Wireless Router Question. Help by Bossman(m): 9:37pm On Apr 16, 2009
Exactly! As platinumnk said. Your network should have a name. Sometimes called and SSID. You just have him select the correct one. As long as it's being broadcast and there si no security.

platinumnk, where in Louisiana are you?I went to school (LSU and UNO) down there a long time ago. Still have family in Baton Rouge. But, have not being down there in quite a while.
Re: A Wireless Router Question. Help by platinumnk(f): 9:44pm On Apr 16, 2009
Dual Core:

you're welcome.

shocked shocked
all that for me?

yay now i think i can come over to your crib to fix this, oh no no its not a problem, i can come. oh yea i know the problem has been fixed, but i think i really need to come to check if the SSID was spelt correctly. lolz.

wow, i think ure commin over to fix more than her router lol

Bossman:

Exactly! As platinumnk said. Your network should have a name. Sometimes called and SSID. You just have him select the correct one. As long as it's being broadcast and there si no security.

platinumnk, where in Louisiana are you?I went to school (LSU and UNO) down there a long time ago. Still have family in Baton Rouge. But, have not being down there in quite a while.

I'm in baton rouge now, both of my sisters went to UNO, I am finishing up at SU now. (Nursing) Do u plan to come back here? and how long ago was it, u must know a few ppl here.
Re: A Wireless Router Question. Help by Bossman(m): 9:51pm On Apr 16, 2009
Yep. I was at LSU 88- 92. Then went to UNO for Masters 92 - 94. Got my first job here in Illinois when I finished at UNO.

Yes, I still have quite a few friends there. Most of them went to SU.

Not to digress from the thread or take up space here. If you want you can PM me (techconsult@dls.net) and we can chat.

(1) (Reply)

Help Help Help / Palm Top Touch Screen / Blogging Gurus! How Do I Start A Blog Site?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.