Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,028 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:58 PM

Whatever You Do, Do Not Type This Into Google Chrome Browser - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Whatever You Do, Do Not Type This Into Google Chrome Browser (976 Views)

11 Google Chrome Browser Tips And Tricks / 10 Hidden Features In Google Chrome You Didn't Know About / How To Make Google Chrome Browse More Faster With These 4 Steps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whatever You Do, Do Not Type This Into Google Chrome Browser by kingsamm(m): 8:09pm On Sep 24, 2015
This is an official warning from Naija Techs, WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT TYPE THIS INTO GOOGLE CHROME BROWSER!
A bug has been found in Google's Chrome Browser, this string of characters can crash Your Browser when you click on it, mouse over it or enter it into your browser.

Google Chrome browser bug

When you click on "http://a%%30%30"( without the quotation marks) or enter it into your address bar and press enter could cause your current tab to close or crash the entire browser, taking anything you're working on with it!

This link bug was discovered by Andris Atteka a security researchers from Latvia, he reported the bug to Google on 18th of September 2015. The computer geek found out that placing null characters at the end of URL causes Google's Chrome Browser to instantly choke after attempts to rationalize the Web address.

Only the PC and MAC version of Chrome browser appears to be affected while the mobile version of the browser seem to bug-free.

Typing the same characters into other browsers like Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari does not cause the same issue.

No reward was awarded to Andris for discovering this bug as this was deemed to be only a DOS vulnerability.

Google should be amidst fixing this bug but for Chrome users are advised to watch out for fake tweets, emails and messages tempting them to try the bug.

I know you might be thinking "let me try it out and see what happens" because I did the same thing!
When I heard about this bug first thing I did was try it out and see what it does. When I entered the link into my address bar and clicked enter, after a few seconds the entire browser crashed! So if you're willing to try it, I advise you save any work in progress first, or don't even try it at all.
Re: Whatever You Do, Do Not Type This Into Google Chrome Browser by HireKiller(m): 8:23pm On Sep 24, 2015
*Gone to confirm*
Re: Whatever You Do, Do Not Type This Into Google Chrome Browser by kossyablaze(m): 8:31pm On Sep 24, 2015
HireKiller:
*Gone to confirm*
me too...seeing is believing

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Whatever You Do, Do Not Type This Into Google Chrome Browser by akunjohn(m): 8:37pm On Sep 24, 2015
I will try it later when Hirekiller reports back.
Re: Whatever You Do, Do Not Type This Into Google Chrome Browser by veltany: 8:43pm On Sep 24, 2015
Who have tried it? tell us!

www.jamzcity.com

1 Like

Re: Whatever You Do, Do Not Type This Into Google Chrome Browser by veltany: 8:45pm On Sep 24, 2015
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!

I have tried it and nothing happened.
Op, your nuts..

www.jamzcity.com
Re: Whatever You Do, Do Not Type This Into Google Chrome Browser by henribj(m): 8:50pm On Sep 24, 2015
hmm..
Re: Whatever You Do, Do Not Type This Into Google Chrome Browser by kingsamm(m): 2:23am On Sep 25, 2015
veltany:
Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!

I have tried it and nothing happened.
Op, your nuts..

www.jamzcity.com

Really??
I think Google is there for a reason..

(1) (Reply)

Uk Used Apple Macbook Air 13" Early 2014 Intel Core I5 4gb Ram 128gb Ssd~#130k / How To Repair Corrupted Memory Cards And Flash Drives / This Is What Happens When You Poke Your Phone Battery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.