Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,258 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals (27396 Views)

Why You Should Stop Eating In Restaurants In Nigeria / Man Dies Due To Unavailability Of Oxygen In 5 Nigerian Hospitals / Little Girl Dies Of Ear Infection After 3 Lagos Hospitals Failed To Treat Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by gnykelly(m): 10:11am On Sep 26, 2015
otiigba1:
Really? How did you come to this conclusion?, and oh! Yes mama puts has far better hygienes than most over hyped so called lush restuarants in nigeria,
only a qualified person can make a clear report not speculative. just like we have pastor who are not trained make authority on things they know little about.
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by otiigba1(m): 10:15am On Sep 26, 2015
Sheikwonder:
One Idiot will quote the o.p,despite the length of the article.

This is certainly the longest article I've seen on Nairaland.I honestly didn't read till the end.However I think the journalists at Leadership Newspaper may have exaggerated a bit.To say that there were "over 100 rats" in a Fast Food joint is quite hard to believe...
you don't believe there over 100 rats in a fast food joint? Isn't that what the problem is? Some folks find it difficult to believe. Well.. i believe it.
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by otiigba1(m): 10:25am On Sep 26, 2015
gnykelly:

only a qualified person can make a clear report not speculative. just like we have pastor who are not trained make authority on things they know little about.
its called investigative journalism, okay it may not be the whole fact, but its an observation, an incite into the restuarant or fast food businesses hygiene malpractices,Perhaps.

And yes qualification is important but not needed.
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by otiigba1(m): 10:32am On Sep 26, 2015
magicminister:
I have been a victim of food poisoning numerous times.
The thing i noticed is that most of these "poison" centres will refuse to show you their kitchen if you request to see it.
Any restaurant that knows what they are doing should be proud to have customers over to their kitchen but that is not the case in the poison centres in Nigeria.

I used to live the fast food life; going to fancy and expensive restaurants and i paid the price.
There was a time i used to fall sick every month.

Nowaday, i try to cook for myself and when things get too hairy, there is someone i invite to cook for me.
The only thing i buy outside now is snacks and i buy it from the restaurants i can trust.

The situation is really appalling.
In the developed world, even the smallest restaurants meets up with standards.
The "street food" in the developed countries are also hygienic.

Everything in Naija just get k-leg..

Lord deliver us.
man! You are very lucky, had food poisoning me self it was horrific, my GP told me that if i get any more of it, it could affect every of my system which can result to mortality, ever since i ve never set foot in any fast food or restuarant. if i am desperate i eat bread instead.
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by Originalsly: 10:39am On Sep 26, 2015
Fast food is a business....business people would always do whatever it takes to cut costs and increase profits so we should never expect these fast food owners to consider good hygiene in their business. It is for the authorities to constantly visit these joints and ensure that all conditions are met.....this is a serious public health issue not being addressed by those in charge. As customers we should also open our eyes before we open our mouths.....if you see cobweb you should know spiders cast webs where there are insects...so you already know there are flies and whatever else roaming the joint and some would be all mixed up in the food. Do the chicken wings you bought ever looked a bit strange?....too big or too small?...a bit too long and narrow?....is for you to figure out which kind bird be that....but for sure it is not chicken what you ordered.Until the authorities can get their act together is for us to look out for ourselves. Good luck to all fast food eaters....in advance I wish you a speedy recovery from whatever sickness be lurking in your next order.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by prmix: 10:48am On Sep 26, 2015
in a country where the public health agencies only wait for prevalence and incidence of diseases to be charged to work, knowing fully well that an average citizen of the country can't do without eating out atleast once a week, what do you expect?
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by AdeniyiA(m): 11:01am On Sep 26, 2015
We're in jet age where everything is fast; fast cars, microwave food, fast flight, fast rail, fast food, and of course fast death...
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by chigoizie7(m): 11:52am On Sep 26, 2015
Sheikwonder:
One Idiot will quote the o.p,despite the length of the article.

This is certainly the longest article I've seen on Nairaland.I honestly didn't read till the end.However I think the journalists at Leadership Newspaper may have exaggerated a bit.To say that there were "over 100 rats" in a Fast Food joint is quite hard to believe...

I don't think so bro, u will not see such things in the places were dey showcase the already prepared foods,but were it is prepared. I know of a fast food n awka that were they prepare their foods is across a gutter(dirty and stinking) so, u can imagine the number of rats that are always waiting around to feed on left overs.
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by daveP(m): 12:08pm On Sep 26, 2015
The amount some peeps spend on fastfood in a week is enough to arrange a trusted fella to cook for them anytime for months.

The cup's about to full for all of them. Gf i dont think we'l have dinner@ any fastfood joint. We'l do a home one grin

and those kids jumping and craving for...

Anty meatpie, no i want solad, no buy me eyescream...... And anty sef go bring out bunch of 1k notes to satisfy them. Months later she is using 12times the amount she used @that restaurant for health matters.

Nafdac should please justify the 'F' in naFdac. (food) chocolate royal is just 0.00002% and mind you, twill be fun for the operatives on that mission.
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by omosefeeguaibor(f): 12:18pm On Sep 26, 2015
sad as for me and my household we will continue to patronise homemade food I can't trust anybody with my meal in between #1000waystodie this will rank 3rd on my list
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by Nobody: 1:05pm On Sep 26, 2015
Nigerian hospitals look like refugee tents! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry cry cry cry cry
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by darf(m): 1:12pm On Sep 26, 2015
We contribute to food safety training by offering free course in Integrated pest management and Food safety.

Call 07044405763 today to enroll.

Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by 4C2215131: 1:12pm On Sep 26, 2015
SafetyFirst:
I'm good at reading summaries.

For someone with a 'SafetyFirst' as a moniker, it's kinda surprising you are 'good at reading summaries'. For your own safety you better get 'very good at reading detailed information' which unfortunately are not so brief ala what obtains for example in instructional booklets for machineries, work or leisure equipment and medical prescriptions. Your 'Safety' just might depend on reading that 90 page operational manual for the next car you buy or that 'long' contraindication section on the leaflet inside that six thousand Naira anti-biotic you just bought.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 26, 2015
kennyman2000:
Hmmmm.. Thats parts of the reasons i envy those who lives in the village. No time for fastfood. All they eats are fresh from the farm. They're always healthy and they tends to live long.

Check my signature for ur customised wristband

Fast foods= fast death
Its responsible for the cases of obesity in children and big man diseases like kidney ,liver failure and cancer, but we should blame the industry, they saw a need and filled the need, customers have to apply modertion in it, I dont see why mothers have become so lazy that they feed their kids these food 365 days of the year and expect them to look trendy like the ones they see on dstv. cool
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by kennyman2000(m): 3:13pm On Sep 26, 2015
kaeforum:

Fast foods= fast death
Its responsible for the cases of obesity in children and big man diseases like kidney ,liver failure and cancer, but we should blame the industry, they saw a need and filled the need, customers have to apply modertion in it, I dont see why mothers have become so lazy that they feed their kids these food 365 days of the year and expect them to look trendy like the ones they see on dstv. cool

so true..
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by Nobody: 3:39pm On Sep 26, 2015
Its Even expensive to eat out these days. I prepare my own meals and save a lot of money grin
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by professore(m): 5:19pm On Sep 26, 2015
This is educative
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by macklef(m): 6:30pm On Sep 26, 2015
cridbak:
Its Even expensive to eat out these days. I prepare my own meals and save a lot of money grin
Dude, can we squat togeda pls. I cant boil water to save my life. I can spend 1k on food only at night, chicken 350, indomie 60, egg 100, malt 120 im still too young to have a woman leave in my house outside wedlock. And i seriously hate all d eba n stuff prepared in these canteens.

Walahi its hard being a bachelor n not been able to overlook stuff like this
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by SkinnyDude(m): 7:46pm On Sep 26, 2015
Mrs0J:
Cook your meals people, more safer.
no strength and time.. especially strength
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 26, 2015
SkinnyDude:
no strength and time.. especially strength

Lol your health no dey you important.
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 26, 2015
omosefeeguaibor:
sad as for me and my household we will continue to patronise homemade food I can't trust anybody with my meal in between #1000waystodie this will rank 3rd on my list

My sis na so ooo. Homemade na the way to go oo. If we go to cinema's, we go along with our food and snacks. No time for story ooo.

2 Likes

Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by Nobody: 1:13am On Sep 27, 2015
macklef:

Dude, can we squat togeda pls. I cant boil water to save my life. I can spend 1k on food only at night, chicken 350, indomie 60, egg 100, malt 120 im still too young to have a woman leave in my house outside wedlock. And i seriously hate all d eba n stuff prepared in these canteens.

Walahi its hard being a bachelor n not been able to overlook stuff like this

Lol.. All you have even listed is unhealthy, it will jerrk your cholesterol levels up. You shouldn't be eating junk in the name of being a Bachelor. I learnt how to cook by watching my girlfriend cook and NO she doesn't necessarily have to live with you. Ask your girlfriend to teach you how to cook and I am sure you'd be glad you learnt. grin

Better Yet, You can pay me to prepare your meals grin
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by Odogwu007: 8:36am On Sep 27, 2015
Kingtim:
F**kin long post!

In other news.... My girl friend is pregnant for me.

Congrats oh.
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by afaatng: 3:32pm On Jun 04, 2018
It’s a pity nowadays that a lot of people do not pay attention to the kind of food they put into their body. Most people are not privy to the health problems caused by fast foods.

Fast foods which are sometimes referred to as junk foods are everything that represents the bad kind of fuel for the body.
Fast World, Fast Lives, Fast Foods

Over the years, the world has gotten LITERALLY fast. We are always in a hurry to get from something to something else.

In between our nine to fivers, family obligations, the time we spend entertaining ourselves, there isn’t much time left for much else. In some regions of the world, home cooking from scratch is actually getting extinct.

The fast-food industry has picked up on this need for people to “eat conveniently”, “eat deliciously” and “eat fast” at the same time. They are using the age-old, ever so effective economic rule of filling the supply of a very demanding society.

The convenience-on-demand can range from driving through your favorite fast food place and having your order ready within minutes to placing a call order from your home and having a pizza delivered.

What makes fast foods dangerous for your health?

In order to compensate for the deliciousness of the menu served at fast food joints, the ingredient compositions of most fast foods are devastating to health.

On top of that, these fast food companies would want to turn a profit at the end of the year, so, over the years, they have learned to cut cost and compromise in production at the risk of the health of the consumers.

These fast foods are processed, they contain artificial sweeteners, ridiculously high sodium content, trans-fat, and to top it all, dangerous preservatives are used to prevent the foods from going bad.

The adverse health conditions caused by these processes are dramatic and alarming and serious attention needs to be paid to them.

The effects are not only limited to the physical, they also spill over to mental health issues and even emotional health issues.
What qualifies as fast/junk foods?

Before we go on to list those health problems, let’s take a quick detour to quickly access what qualifies as junk/fast foods.

According to Dr. Fuhrman in his book Fast Food Genocide, fast foods are anything wrapped in bags, box, or a wrapper.

Examples of fast foods are fries, soda (Coca-cola, Pepsi), energy bars, energy drinks, cookies, cakes, candy, processed snack foods, foods made with white flour, cheese, bagels and the list goes on.

With this list, it is pretty clear that it is not only foods bought at fast food joints that are junk. Fast foods, processed foods, and snacks are all in the junk category. Over the counter indulgences like sweets, lunching snacks, biscuits also fall into this category.

After a long look at the menu at fast food joints, foods that can be “remotely” classified as “healthy” are salads and chickens. But before you start adding those to your purchase list, I want you to know that those “chickens” are actually about 50% chicken.

A recent DNA testing of the meat from fast food places found that fast-food chickens contain “a quarter less protein” than chicken cooked in homes. Also, fast-food chickens have sodium levels that are between seven to ten times more than what was found in conventional chickens.

The vegetables that fast-food chains often serve are not close to being totally organic. These are GMO, pesticide, and insecticide laden vegetables that are grown in a not so ideal condition. Also, preservatives would have been used on these products which would make it more devastating.

Below are 8 health problems associated with fast foods you should know:
1. Fast foods account for one-third of heart diseases in people globally
“Diets comprising mostly of fried foods, salty snacks and meat account for 35 percent of global heart attacks” – Researchers at McMaster University in Ontario, Canada

A study conducted in Canada spreading over 52 countries, took blood samples of over 16,000 patients, with 5,700 of those being heart attack patients. The research came to a conclusion that junk food and animal fats result in heart diseases with heart attacks being paramount.

Why frequent fast-food consumption is a highway to heart disease is because of the high SODIUM content of most fast-foods. Fast-food products are associated with high sodium levels.

This is so that the food can have a lasting delicious taste that will appeal to customers.

Although the recommendation of sodium consumption per day for a normal adult is 2,300mg which is almost the same as taking a tablespoon of salt, it has been found that the average person takes in about 3,400mg of sodium per day.

High sodium content in the body raises the blood pressure while at the same time making the kidney work overtime. High blood pressure often results in heart attacks, kidney disease, heart failure and the list goes on.
2. It is the major source of child and adult obesity

Fast foods are known to be packed with a large number of calories. These calories are also known to be empty, that is, it lacks nutritional values. These foods also come in large portions and they are usually not very filling (satisfying).

According to researchers, obesity increase all over the world has been linked to calorie intake increase. Another problem we are facing is that the type of lives we live nowadays is of the sedentary type.

Those big calories we consume from fast foods are not being burned. Lacking adequate movement in our present way of life combined with constant fast food consumption is why obesity is currently an epidemic that is spreading rapidly amongst citizens of the world.

Obesity in itself is the perpetrator of different kinds of diseases. The diseases that obese people are prone to include heart disease, diabetes, some certain types of cancer, high blood pressure, gout, sleep apnea and so on.

“Obesity accounts for more than 60% of Type 2 diabetes in middle-aged people” – a study conducted at the University of Glasgow using Body Mass Index (BMI)
3. It raises sugar levels in the body and increases the risk.....

Click the link to continue reading - 8 Little Known Devastating Health Problems caused by Fast Foods
Re: How Fast Food Restaurants Land Nigerians In Hospitals by Nobody: 1:43am On Jun 02, 2019
Yo wa gwan blud you rudeboy bludclart. lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Causes Of Excessive Menstrual Bleeding / "Be Cautious": Ikpeazu Speaks From Isolation Center Over His COVID-19 Infection / Coronavirus: Death Toll In Africa Hits 700 As Cases Rise To 13,145

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.