Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,077 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer (1450 Views)

Omolabake Adenle Built A Software On African Languages / A 7-year-old Applied For A Job At Google: Read The Ceo’s Response / Delta Engineer Who Converted Keke To An "Aeroplane" Becomes Online Sensation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by wearobo: 12:00pm On Sep 27, 2015
I joined Google 2.5 weeks back. So may be its too early to answer this question. But still want to share my experience. As a computer science student, Google was always my dream company. So working in Google HQ is like living in the dream for me as of now. Here you can work with the best brains around the world, can use latest technology and tools. Even being a noogler (new Googler) you can be part of cool future projects that are yet to release.

Work environment is very friendly and all teammates and managers are helpful and supporting. Though it may take months to fully understand Google architecture, but you can access the codebase from inside and feel it how the features you always use are actually implemented. Company culture is to encourage and support new ideas (eg: google 20% time project).

Working in headquarter gives you the opportunity to see and listen to big personalities like Larry Page, Sergey Brin, Sundar Pichai etc in person quite often. Joining events of Google in person is of course very exciting.

And it is a free world. Free food, free laundry, free gadgets, free massage, free gbus with WiFi. Have to mention the Google food explicitly. Breakfast to dinner, various cuisines are served in different cafes and its so yummy that almost every Googler really gains at least 15 pound after joining. (Famous 15 pound joke cheesy). Candies, chips etc are stuffed in each and every building. There are plenty gyms, playgrounds, volley ball court, different indoor games all around the campus. There is even a Indian restaurant in campus (that;s right, not cafe, a free awesome restaurant) which being an Indian is my favorite so far.

Only problem with working in Google is that there are so many excellent people around, often you can feel very small. But actually I think it's a great opportunity to learn from these people. Overall for me its very challenging and that's the charm

cc Lalasticlala

Credit http://www.wearobo.com/2015/09/what-it-is-like-working-at-google.html#sthash.fPEqsjx5.dpuf
Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by Djicemob: 12:06pm On Sep 27, 2015
Very interesting moniker you have there angry grin
Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by Kingtim(m): 12:06pm On Sep 27, 2015
Nice
Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by Nobody: 12:15pm On Sep 27, 2015
An average google fan know these things.
Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by wearobo: 12:16pm On Sep 27, 2015
I don't think so...only those who work for the company knows what's going on inside.
Brandnew2:
An average google fan know these things.
Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by Nobody: 12:21pm On Sep 27, 2015
wearobo:
I don't think so...only those who work for the company knows what's going on inside.

Maybe you should watch a movie titled THE INTERNSHIP.

There are lots of things I know that you didn't mention.
Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by wearobo: 12:22pm On Sep 27, 2015
Could you mention them?
Brandnew2:

Maybe you should watch a movie titled THE INTERN.

There are lots of things I know that you didn't mention.
Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by Nobody: 12:27pm On Sep 27, 2015
For example, there's something called "the sleep pod" where Googlers are allowed to take a nap during work hours.
Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by jaelz(m): 12:30pm On Sep 27, 2015
please what does it take to work for google?
Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 27, 2015
jaelz:
please what does it take to work for google?
By applying through their recruitment board or Join as an intern. You have to have outstanding programming or internet business skills.
Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by myworldtech: 12:48pm On Sep 27, 2015
it is hard to get a job at Google..their questions are quite tricky....
Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by Dekatron(m): 1:31pm On Sep 27, 2015
It has been my dream since I got to know Google is more than a search engine to work at Google.

I want to apply for Google Nigeria Internship/IT. How do I do that? Dont mind me, I am a Google/Microsoft freak (I prefer Microsoft to Google).

Nice @ Op. . . . But don't you need exceptional electronic skill to work in X-LAB? (producers of Google glass)? Oya drop how you did it joor. . . Am serious and waiting. grin grin

cc : wearobo

2 Likes

Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by jaelz(m): 3:10pm On Sep 27, 2015
Brandnew2:

By applying through their recruitment board or Join as an intern. You have to have outstanding programming or internet business skills.

which do you have bro?
Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by guy40123(m): 5:24pm On Sep 27, 2015
epic question.
Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by SupremeNG: 8:30am On Sep 28, 2015
Working with Google is good o
Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by fem311(m): 8:53am On Sep 28, 2015
Since it's your desire working with Google, I say congratulations to you.

My advice to you working with Google is keep your head, work with standard set up, follow instructions set up for you, be creative and at last be prayerful just because almighty Google respect's no one.

Once again, I congratulate you.

My best regards.
Re: What It Is Like Working At Google Headquarter As A Software Engineer by wearobo: 12:49pm On Sep 28, 2015
The article was posted by one of our avid readers.

(1) (Reply)

The Journey To MARS Took 7 Months And 300 Million Miles / Korrigans Kingdom Wars Android Solutions Tool Gold APK Ios / Recycling Plastics Is Awesome!this Ecofriendly Building Project In North Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.