Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,110 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) (60180 Views)

Owls Are Not Witches: See Some Facts You Did Not Know About Them / Paul Allen Unveils World's Largest Plane With Two Cockpits(Photos). / How To Clear GOTV E016 And E48-32 Error Message (step By Step) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by victorazy(m): 9:46pm On Sep 29, 2015
iguita:
Landing is more dangerous than take-off. In 5 minutes, the plane is stabilized. But for landing, the pilots will battle with stability for over 20- 30 minutes. To give you an instance, if you fly Lagos to Abuja. Even before you arrive Lagos, the plane is stabilized but if you are landing Lagos, the plane would have been descending from Ogun state.

Believe it or not, take-off is the most difficult cuz the thrust engines do more of works than landing. Landing, the pilot only need to reduce the speed of the engines, position the canbins, that's all. I remebered traveling from Abuja to Lagos, I didn't notice when the plane landed.
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by jhydosky(m): 10:04pm On Sep 29, 2015
OP. Very interesting and educative topic.

Reminds me of my ABJ-LOS flight aboard Medview sometimes in February this year.
The Oxygen mask actually descended 15mins into the flight - I've always tot of that as the first sign of trouble.
Few seconds later, we were advised to use the mask because Aircraft was battling with pressure.
We steadily descended thereafter...before God intervened and the pressure system restored.
Strangely, through all the events I wasn't so worked up and was even trying to comfort my visibly shaking wife. She could not control her muscles - she was virtually vibrating all over.

My own shaking and vibration began when we finally landed and the import of what could have happened sunk in.

I am yet to recover from the fear of flying. I think trekking is the safest means if you ask me.

1 Like

Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by badexmuzter: 10:10pm On Sep 29, 2015
69MissedCalls:
thanks for scaring me. I'm traveling soon u know.. angry
don't worry God is in control
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by SunnDash(m): 10:13pm On Sep 29, 2015
Nice info
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by fitinwell: 10:31pm On Sep 29, 2015
luchy34:
it varies in some aircrafts, airbus aircrafts usually disengage automatically..

Please state under what abnormal conditions, that auto pilot can be trigger off automatically.., without the consent of the pilot.
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by imma2(m): 10:33pm On Sep 29, 2015
fitinwell:

[size=22pt] I disagree with op, autopilot does not trigger off automatically... Also autopilot doesn't function below 1,000ft sea-level, autopilot doesn't land commercial plane on short landing approaching tarmac. And der are reasons why aircraft can stall.... Mid air. [/size]

If you say autopilot can't trigger off automatically, you have a whole lot to learn. Stop spewing what you have no idea about
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by imma2(m): 10:38pm On Sep 29, 2015
[quote author=fitinwell post=38513227]

Please state under what abnormal conditions, that auto pilot can be trigger off automatically.., without the consent of the pilot. [/quote

When your navigation aid and display experiences failure, it switches off automatically. This applies to most commercial planes.
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by Yemmyteespeed007(m): 10:39pm On Sep 29, 2015
Scaring.
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by RaptorX: 10:41pm On Sep 29, 2015
Jarus:

First time I'm hearing that turbulence can lead to crash.

I used to dismiss turbulence as simple-to-manage, probably harmless event, and don't get disturbed at all when a flight. Is experiencing.

Now, I'll be seriously afraid anytime there's a little turbulence.

The most frightening turbulent I ever experienced, however, was Qatar Airways Doha-Lagos, January 2013. Very serious shaking and vibration for almost more than 1 hour. With what I have read now, if I ever experience that again, maybe I will pee in my trousers already.
The turbulence that caused the crash of the American airline flight was from wake turbulence not the regular turbulence, it was taking off right behind a Japanese airline plane and ran into the turbulence created by the Japanese plane.

2 Likes

Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by bigzic(m): 10:48pm On Sep 29, 2015
Nice one, very informative.
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by BaBaMike: 10:55pm On Sep 29, 2015
Explorers:
Statistically speaking, flying is still the safest way to travel. In fact, the National Center for Health Statistics estimates the average person’s odds of dying in a plane crash at 1 in 20,000. Compare that to the odds of being struck by lightning (1 in 3,000) or dying in a car accident (1 in 100). Commercial airplanes are highly regulated in most countries, and must pass extensive testing before being approved for flight. Advancements in technology have outfitted modern planes with highly effective safety features that prevent catastrophic failures mid-flight. But no matter how fit the vessel, or how advanced the technology, there is one element that is impossible to control: the human element. People, even highly trained professionals, will make mistakes. Though major pilot error happens rarely, the results canbe truly devastating.

source: http://www.lolwot.com/11-devastating-plane-crashes-caused-by-pilot-error/

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/most-shocking/10-horrible-plane-crashes-caused-by-pilot-error/
http://www.eyeopening.info/2014/03/29/30-shocking-facts-airlines-dont-want-you-to-know
http://www.viralnova.com/flight-facts/

1. TransAsia Flight 235(2015).

Two minutes after takeoff, one of TransAsia 235’s engines suffered a type of failure known as a flameout. Ordinarily this would not lead to a crash, as modern airplanes are designed to run on one engine if necessary. Unfortunately, the pilot mistook the functioning engine for the malfunctioning one and shut it off. This left the plane powerless as the crew desperately scrambled to restart the engine and avoid the heavily populated cityscape below. One of the wings clipped a bridge and the plane crashed into a nearby river. Dashcam footage reveals just how close it came to wiping out the bridge out entirel

It was an amazing manoeuvre to fly between buildings and land in the river - with his brave action, the pilot increased passengers survival rate from absolute zero. Also, no one on land was killed, such a miracle on its own, considering the urban area where the plane went down!

His commitment to saving lives can never be forgotten. RIP Pilot Liao Chien-tsung. Always a hero that the whole World knows about now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by BaBaMike: 11:11pm On Sep 29, 2015
Explorers:
The pilot is often exhausted. According to a study, more than half of the pilots have fallen asleep in the cockpit. This is due to their extensive working hours and the toll the time zones take on them. I don't even want to know what happens when both the pilot and the co-pilot are fast asleep at the controls.

They fall asleep because they have nothing to do, apart from the bit of waffle to the passengers before take off.

Planes pretty much fly themselves these days - even take off and landing can be automatic. A couple of snoozing pilots just means they're more likely to be wide awake if there's an emergency.

1 Like

Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by Obiwiz(m): 11:16pm On Sep 29, 2015
I fear careless people pass witches and wizards. because d catastrophe caused by carelessness is always unprecedented.

1 Like

Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by RaptorX: 11:48pm On Sep 29, 2015
fitinwell:

Please state under what abnormal conditions, that auto pilot can be trigger off automatically.., without the consent of the pilot.
The Air France plane that crashed into the Atlantic Ocean was an airbus, and after the computer detected faulty readings from the speed sensors, it disengaged the autopilot and handed manual control back to the co-pilot. Leading to the pilot error that caused the crash.
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by olu4life(m): 12:36am On Sep 30, 2015
Explorers u Don come back ba sile?
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 1:20am On Sep 30, 2015
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 1:24am On Sep 30, 2015
fitinwell:

read more about fly by wire a technology first introduced by Airbus

1 Like

Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by Motolank: 2:04am On Sep 30, 2015
Explorers:
The pilot is often exhausted. According to a study, more than half of the pilots have fallen asleep in the cockpit. This is due to their extensive working hours and the toll the time zones take on them. I don't even want to know what happens when both the pilot and the co-pilot are fast asleep at the controls.
HELL NO

1 Like

Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by MrLouisVanGaal1: 5:18am On Sep 30, 2015
Explorers:
United Airlines flight 173(1978).

Suffered fuel exhaustion and crashed short of the runway in a suburban Portland neighborhood in 1978, miraculously only killing 10 of its 189 people on board. After becoming distracted with a faulty landing gear, the pilot decided to abort the plane’s initial landing to assess the problem and prepare passenger’s for an emergency landing. In the process, the flight crew became so absorbed with the issue that everybody failed to realize that the aircraft was about to run out of fuel. Flight 173 became a textbook example in aviation training in an effort to try to teach future flight crews to maintain situational awareness when problems occur in the cockpit.

5:01am... just woke up from one of the worst nightmares iv had as an adult. i read this thread among other threads before going to sleep and it didn't seem this one was going to terrify me. In my dream, i saw planes falling out of the sky. Like they all just lost their power and started falling out what i saw was freaking real. two Boeings crashed in the same direction with deafening sounds as if they were following same route and passed through an electrostatic field or something and in a far distant away i saw an airbus, yea an airbus crashing and tumbling through people and properties causing total destruction along the way. Everything was so real and all i kept thinking was when would the next one drop and would it be at my exact location and with that fear i woke up sweating under a super cold weather. Bros you do me bad walai. Dnt know when ill use a plane again but i was wondering if any thing could shut down a planes electrical system like i saw in my dream.. can a natural phenomenon up there cause something like that?
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by Explorers(m): 5:33am On Sep 30, 2015
MrLouisVanGaal1:

5:01am... just woke up from one of the worst nightmares iv had as an adult. i read this thread among other threads before going to sleep and it didn't seem this one was going to terrify me. In my dream, i saw planes falling out of the sky. Like they all just lost their power and started falling out what i saw was freaking real. two Boeings crashed in the same direction with deafening sounds as if they were following same route and passed through an electrostatic field or something and in a far distant away i saw an airbus, yea an airbus crashing and tumbling through people and properties causing total destruction along the way. Everything was so real and all i kept thinking was when would the next one drop and would it be at my exact location and with that fear i woke up sweating under a super cold weather. Bros you do me bad walai. Dnt know when ill use a plane again but i was wondering if any thing could shut down a planes electrical system like i saw in my dream.. can a natural phenomenon up there cause something like that?

Lol.....Actually, there are three major factors that causes plane crash;

* Human factor (Pilot's error, highjack).

* Mechanical factor(Failure/malfunctioning of the engine, instruments, or some parts of the plane).

* Climatic factor(Lightning, thunder, storm, turbulence).

Lightning can cut off the power of a plane, but now most new generation plane are designed with lightening proof.

1 Like

Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by missstella(f): 5:56am On Sep 30, 2015
69MissedCalls:
thanks for scaring me. I'm traveling soon u know.. angry
Lolx kpele
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by Austeenite(m): 7:10am On Sep 30, 2015
After reading this, most people will be scared to board a plane. Information is power and the tips mentioned in the post will be of help to Nairalanders.
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by ojinuocheibi(m): 7:28am On Sep 30, 2015
If it is not nairaland it is not original.
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by yemi4ui(m): 7:30am On Sep 30, 2015
tdayof:
people tend to say taking off and landing on dangerous. But I see no reason why it should be... With my familiarity with pilots and as an aspiring pilot... If a plane should is in a good condition there should definitely be no problem with taking off and landing.

I love your humour.. You replied without insult.

Under normal conditions, Taking off is nt surpose to be a problem but U need to knw tht durin take off, Engine re pushed 2 MAX. Also durin take off u need to climb 2 attain a desire altitude. Tht's where stalling comes if D pilot exceed his MAX angle of attack. And also lot of structural stress are experience by the Fuselage and the wings during take off. Weight and Gravity too. Thants for take off. But landing need concentration and stability. Issues like side winds that take d aircraft off d runway low visibility, Weight and gravity too, u don't want to drop d aircraft like stone. Accidents that occurs other than dis maybe as a result of Bad weather, bird strike, fuel, thunder and lightning, turbulent, ETC. I hv once experience turbulent during one flight from Lagos to Yola. We where about Altititud of 35,000 ft. Pressurized aircraft. We drop from 35,000ft to 20,000 ft withing 1min. Thanks to God we where at that altitude imagine we were around 11,000ft. Too bad.
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by yemi4ui(m): 7:42am On Sep 30, 2015
fitinwell:

Auto pilot can trigger off. Have u heard abt TCAS I and TCAS II. They can override auto pilot. If two aircraft r on collision course. If they both have TCAS and transponder installed on. TCAS will override auto pilot. It give warning and takes action.
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by gloryl(f): 8:46am On Sep 30, 2015
undecided
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by gloryl(f): 8:46am On Sep 30, 2015
This has just increased my phobia for flying, after I had issues landing with Dana airline last year... my life has not remained the same in anything that has to do with flight... although I enjoyed using medview,and arik,,...but Dana just messed that up for me. cry
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by 69MissedCalls(m): 9:45am On Sep 30, 2015
missstella:
Lolx kpele
embarassed
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by kraftykc(m): 11:06am On Sep 30, 2015
tdayof:
hmm source for this? Most plane crash are mid air.... By your posts seems you are a lover of MAY DAY... and AIR CRASH INVESTIGATION SERIES.

The poster is right even if he stretched it just slightly. Last ICAO accident report states 76%.
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by choicelynk(m): 12:09pm On Sep 30, 2015
you are right on point and very informative.
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by sugah: 1:32pm On Sep 30, 2015
fitinwell:

I disagree with op, autopilot does not trigger off automatically... Also autopilot doesn't function below 1,000ft sea-level, autopilot doesn't land commercial plane on short landing approaching tarmac. And der are reasons why aircraft can stall.... Mid air.

1, autopilot CAN disengage itself.
2, really? George doesn't work below 1000ft?

Captainboris better not waste your money on flight school if your authority is this 'man'.

Explorers very good information gathering. I wonder when the Nigerian AIB would start making reports available to the public. Others would learn from mistakes made...Aviation is the only place where experience is not necessarily the best teacher.
Re: Plane Crashes Caused By Pilot Error & Some Facts About Flying (Graphic Photos) by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 30, 2015
sugah:

1, autopilot CAN disengage itself.
2, really? George doesn't work below 1000ft?

Captainboris better not waste your money on flight school if your authority is this 'man'.

Explorers very good information gathering. I wonder when the Nigerian AIB would start making reports available to the public. Others would learn from mistakes made...Aviation is the only place where experience is not necessarily the best teacher.

Hian! Hear talk!!
I never said my desire to own an office in d sky was tied to this "man" ok?
I chose this profession while I was still in my mama's womb bc I love flying.
Thanks for ur concern sha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What I Saw In The Sky In Ikoyi Today / Huge Python Killed In Ore, Ondo State (Pictures) / 330-Million-Year-Old Shark's Head Fossilized In Kentucky Cave Found By Scientist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.