Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,840 members, 7,820,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture (4112 Views)

Daddy Freeze To Pastor Adeboye: "Pope Drinks Beer And Doesn't Pay Tithe" / Pope Francis Prays For Release Of 6 Kidnapped Nigerian Sisters / This Lady Claims She Is Going To Hell Fire And So Proud Of It ( Photos ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by plaetton: 3:28pm On Sep 29, 2015
While addressing groups of people of South American descent in Phillidelphia the other day, the Pope urged them to always be proud of their cultures, heritage and identity,.. And always respect and defend it.

My big questions are :
Does it apply to Africans as well?

Aside from, perhaps, Beloved Desmond Tutu, How many other African priests, Catholic or other, can and will say the same to his African brothers and sisters?

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 3:31pm On Sep 29, 2015
Good question. Over to you OLAADEGBU
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by OVI75(m): 3:31pm On Sep 29, 2015
Op Wsh one do you realy want us to be proud of? Voodooo or polygamy.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by journerman(m): 3:33pm On Sep 29, 2015
wondered if you need the pope to tell you that
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 3:46pm On Sep 29, 2015
OVI75:

He wants you to be proud of being yourself. That shouldn't be too hard,should it?
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by plaetton: 4:23pm On Sep 29, 2015
ifeness:

He wants you to be proud of being yourself. That shouldn't be too hard,should it?

His kneejerk response encapsulates the very troubling issue.

He is brainfxxed to see his culture, the very sum of all his culture, in terms of Voodoo and polygamy.

Again, displaying stark ignorance, he has no idea of what Vodu is, except probably what silly fables he has heard about his Voodoo.

A person without a culture is a person without a soul.
A person who despises his culture, is a person who despises the core essence of his own being.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by johnydon22(m): 4:35pm On Sep 29, 2015
OVI75:
Solomon had 1000wives, i don't see you complaining about that. In fact you think him a wise man.

What has traditional religion or culture got to do with Voodoo and Polygamy. .

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 5:07pm On Sep 29, 2015
plaetton:
While addressing groups of people of South American descent in Phillidelphia the other day, the Pope urged them to always be proud of their cultures, heritage and identity,.. And always respect and defend it.

My big questions are :

Aside from, perhaps, Beloved Desmond Tutu, How many other African priests, Catholic or other, can and will say the same to his African brothers and sisters?

The Catholic Church has always taught us to respect our culture, especially what is good about it.

Pope Francis didn't teach something new to us.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 11:21am On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

The Catholic Church has always taught us to respect our culture, especially what is good about it.

Pope Francis didn't teach something new to us.

Really? Since Christianity came in to Africa, we have all but abandoned our own culture. Christianity in no way preaches about putting your culture first.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 11:31am On Sep 30, 2015
plaetton:
My big questions are :
hahn:

Really? Since Christianity came in to Africa, we have all but abandoned our own culture. Christianity in no way preaches about putting your culture first.

Spot the difference.

What you're talking about is not the topic of discussion.

You can open another thread.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 11:42am On Sep 30, 2015
@plaetton, hahn and ifeness...

Please read about the Catholic view of the various indigenous cultures:

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/cti_documents/rc_cti_1988_fede-inculturazione_en.html

Pope Francis taught nothing new.

He told them to hold on to what is good in their culture.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 11:43am On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

Spot the difference.

What you're talking about is not the topic of discussion.

You can open another thread.

plaetton:

No, it doesn't.

Christianity has in no way assisted in enabling us respect and defend our culture. Christians are actually thought to ignore their culture and adopt the culture of Israel undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 11:47am On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/cti_documents/rc_cti_1988_fede-inculturazione_en.html

I don't believe he needs to tells us that. If Christianity hadn't come and replaced our beliefs with theirs there would be no need for him to point out something that obvious. When the first Christians came to Africa, they did everything they could to replace our beliefs with theirs.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

Give me examples of what is good in your culture you are holding unto?

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by johnydon22(m): 11:51am On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

No, it doesn't.

Christianity has in no way assisted in enabling us respect and defend our culture. Christians are actually thought to ignore their culture and adopt the culture of Israel undecided

Italo is arguing for catholicism not for the whole Christiandom.

In radical christianity it a normal thing to burn a shrine used by other people for their own worship but if they are accorded the same favour they play the victims card and say they are being persecuted.

Why would you have the right to burn some else's place of worship because you think yours is better..

Christianity and Islam in African robbed Africans of their culture and norms, robbed africa of their heritage.
An hausa man reveres arab far more than the land of Africa and a christian revere Isreali culture, myth and societal norm more than that of africa.

It is a pitiable state of abandonment of one's self in the delusion of find better, you can only be lost in the void of other people's belief and culture...

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 11:51am On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

Lol.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 11:54am On Sep 30, 2015
johnydon22:

Italo is arguing for catholicism not for the whole Christiandom.

In radical christianity it a normal thing to burn a shrine used by other people for their own worship but if they are accorded the same favour they play the victims card and say they are being persecuted.

Why would you have the right to burn some else's place of worship because you think yours is better..

Christianity and Islam in African robbed Africans of their culture and norms, robbed africa of their heritage.
An hausa man reverse arab far more than the land of Africa and a christian revere Isreali culture, myth and societal norm more than that of africa.

It is a pitiable state of abandonment of one's self in the delusion of find better, you can only be lost in the void of other people's belief and culture...

Nice.

ifeness:

What answer do you have to this guy's question?
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

Lol.

Starting from his name,he is obviously not proud to be African smiley
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 11:59am On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

Who are you referring to?
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

Who are you referring to?

Italo
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by johnydon22(m): 12:01pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

Nice.

What answer do you have to this guy's question?
Most people due to the influences of Christianity demonizes masquerades.

I hold these to be one of the most important aspect of our culture that should be enjoyed not demonized or chastised.

our language, food and folklores. I still have most of the igbo folklores i know in my head and i intend to tell my children these tales but i will not tell it to them as truth they will just like me recognize these to be a beautiful and eloquent art our people in terms of poetic constructs ..

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by Nobody: 12:08pm On Sep 30, 2015
johnydon22:
Most people due to the influences of Christianity demonizes masquerades.

I hold these to be one of the most important aspect of our culture that should be enjoyed not demonized or chastised.

our language, food and folklores. I still have most of the igbo folklores i know in my head and i intend to tell my children these tales but i will not tell it to them as truth they will just like me recognize these to be a beautiful and eloquent art our people in terms of poetic constructs ..

That's true. There is beauty in African arts but unfortunately rendered demonic by the same Pope and xtian association. All you can see on TV is hungry Africans begging for food which is unfair. Someone is trying hard to make our cultures and image less attractive. Hence we have victims like italo shunning anything Pro-African.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 12:09pm On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

Italo

Lol.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 1:10pm On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

Respect for elders, regard for family etc

Cc hahn.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 1:17pm On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

"Italo" is short for my Edo name "Italome."

Avoid ignorant assumptions.

Now tell me if Ifeness, Plaetton, Hahn, Johnydon22, etc are African names...since that is how you were taught to know who is proud to be African or not.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 1:21pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

No, it doesn't.

I have given you an official Vatican document promoting indigenous cultures.

It's not my fault if you choose not to read and remain ignorant.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by hahn(m): 1:23pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

"Italo" is short for my Edo name "Italome."

Avoid ignorant assumptions.

Now tell me if Ifeness, Plaetton, Hahn, Johnydon22, etc are African names...since that is how you were taught to know who is proud to be African or not.

And he doesn't even know that you are a lady tongue
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by atlwireles: 1:27pm On Sep 30, 2015
Italo, I have to thank you for the great work you do on this forum. God bless you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 1:29pm On Sep 30, 2015
hahn:

I don't believe he needs to tells us that. If Christianity hadn't come and replaced our beliefs with theirs there would be no need for him to point out something that obvious. When the first Christians came to Africa, they did everything they could to replace our beliefs with theirs.

I'm not arguing about what individual Christians did or didn't do.

I'm talking of official Church teaching: it promotes what is good in indigenous culture...and I've given proof.
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by plaetton: 1:35pm On Sep 30, 2015
italo:

Oh really,
Since when?
And which Nigeria are in?

The church, led by the MOTHER CHURCH herself, has been in the business of anhialation of cultures for 2 millenia.
Africa and South America has been her worst affected victims.

There is a reason why they call South America Latin America. I guess you haven't figured that out yet.

Igbo Catholics shun and despise all anything related to Igbo culture and traditions.

Something as simple as breaking kolanut, a traditional symbol of the bonds of kinship, truth and harmony, are shunned and despised by Catholics.

Is that an unrelated coincident or a misguided overzealousness on the part Igbo Catholics?

That is just one simple example.

The point here, italo ( kneejerk defender of everything Catholic), is that your Papi is way ahead of you in terms of humility, being apologetic and contrite about the cultural genocides that is big and undeniable part of Church history.
There is nothing to defend here.
Your Pope is not defending anything, and neither is he asking you to defend the indefencable by weaving a distorted facts of history.

Follow your leader.
Embrace truth, and when necessary, apologize.
That is the Path of honour.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 1:35pm On Sep 30, 2015
ifeness:

That's true. There is beauty in African arts but unfortunately rendered demonic by the same Pope and xtian association. All you can see on TV is hungry Africans begging for food which is unfair. Someone is trying hard to make our cultures and image less attractive. Hence we have victims like italo shunning anything Pro-African.

You're still making ignorant assumptions about me and the Church.

It seems like in your bitterness, you're just desperate to criticize the Church for something...even if it doesn't make sense.

I don't shun anything pro-African...and the Pope doesn't render African art 'demonic.'
Re: Pope Francis Says Be Proud Of Your Culture by italo: 1:36pm On Sep 30, 2015
atlwireles:
Italo, I have to thank you for the great work you do on this forum. God bless you.

Thanks. God bless you too.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vote Your Best Pastor Of The Year 2009 Here. / Is The Bible Only For Believers ? / About John. D. Rockefeller, The Richest Man Ever Since King Solomon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.