Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,788 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire: Learn Something Here. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Who Wants To Be A Millionaire: Learn Something Here. (1126 Views)

13-Year-Old Joshua Ajayi Wins N1million On Who Wants To Be A Millionaire / How Many Times Must One Play 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? / 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire: Learn Something Here. by annamaria: 8:02pm On Apr 18, 2009
I watch this programme from time to time. I don't know how long it's been running in Nigeria but I know that no one has won the N10m yet. The highest so far to my knowledge is N5m. Sometimes I am stumped by the crass ignorance of some of the contestants. I remember a lady who was on the hot seat and the question was asked about what is used to measure earthquakes and she didn't know. This lady was someone in her 40s or so. I was very disappointed. I think many of the people who want to participate do so out of the desire to just win something, anything.

Any serious minded person who wants to play this game and win the N10m can actually do so by simply doing their homework. How? Well,
1. Simply watch the programme every week, follow the questions that are asked and do your research on those questions, as in search all related issues to those questions. Thereby, you gain knowledge of that issue. For example, one of the recent questions asked was the team that had won the most Champions' League matches. I went for Real Madrid because I knew that they'd won the league the most times, forgetting that they've not won for some years. But the answer actually was Manchester United, so I would have failed that one. But with that question, I can research the Champions League and get all the facts on it.

2. Watch the news regularly, preferably foreign media (CNN, BBC). Do this for one year everyday of the year, at least an hour of news a day should be ok to give you some knowlegde.

3. Log on to the internet. It's a well of information. Google stuff. Just be information hungry.

4. Read newspapers. If you can't buy, read papers online.

5. Just have a general awareness of things around you.

6. Follow this thread on Nairaland. I am imploring all nairalanders who are intellectually inclined and have a well of knowledge of things, whether films, literature, historical facts, medical terminology to contribute here. Let's share what we know.

Knowledge about Nigeria is also very important. Even the 36 states and their capital is not something I think many Nigerians know. I know that I am not that conversant with the Northern states in particular.

These are just some of the tips I believe anyone can use to get knowledge. Anyone who can consistently watch the programme for a year and do their homework and has the chance to get on the hot seat should be in a good stead to win the N10m at stake.

So for N10m, let's play WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire: Learn Something Here. by annamaria: 8:06pm On Apr 18, 2009
So let's start off with American Presidents, an easy enough topic but one which one has to have a firm grasp of.

Fact: Barack Obama is the 44th President of the United States of America. Born on the 4th of August 1961, he was elected on the 4th of November 2008 and sworn in on the 20th of January 2009. He was 47 years old when he was sworn in and he went into the white house with his wife, Michelle and two daughters, Sasha and Malia. Michelle is the first black first lady of the United States of America.

The unique nature of Obama's election makes this a question that could pop up in any quiz or game, being that he's the first black man to occupy the American Presidency.

Counting back before Obama, George W. Bush is the 43rd President, Bill Clinton the 42nd, George Bush Snr. is the 41st, Ronald Reagan the 40th, Jimmy Carter the 39th. This is as far as I can count back. The others I will have to google.

BRB.
Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire: Learn Something Here. by annamaria: 5:49pm On Apr 19, 2009
The Full List of American Presidents.

PRESIDENTS

1. George Washington

2. John Adams

3. Thomas Jefferson

4. James Madison

5. James Monroe

6. John Quincy Adams

7. Andrew Jackson

8. Martin Van Buren

9. William Henry Harrison

10. John Tyler

11. James K. Polk

12. Zachary Taylor

13. Millard Fillmore

14. Franklin Pierce

15. James Buchanan

16. Abraham Lincoln

17. Andrew Johnson

18. Ulysses S. Grant

19. Rutherford B. Hayes

20. James Garfield

21. Chester A. Arthur

22. Grover Cleveland

23. Benjamin Harrison

24. Grover Cleveland

25. William McKinley

26. Theodore Roosevelt

27. William Howard Taft

28. Woodrow Wilson

29. Warren G. Harding

30. Calvin Coolidge

31. Herbert Hoover

32. Franklin D. Roosevelt

33. Harry S. Truman

34. Dwight D. Eisenhower

35. John F. Kennedy

36. Lyndon B. Johnson

37. Richard M. Nixon

38. Gerald R. Ford

39. James Carter

40. Ronald Reagan

41. George H. W. Bush

42. William J. Clinton

43. George W. Bush

44. Barack Obama
Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire: Learn Something Here. by annamaria: 5:52pm On Apr 19, 2009
There are some Presidents whose tenure were very unique and these are the ones that normally crop up in questions. For example, Gerald Ford and JFK.

BRB.
Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire: Learn Something Here. by annamaria: 4:43pm On Apr 24, 2009
The First 5 Presidents of the United States.

1st:
George Washington 1789-1797
(2 Terms). Federalist.
Born: 1732
Died: 1799
Wife: Martha Dandridge Custis
Note: First President of the United States. He was born into a Virginia planter family. At his swearing in, he said: ‘As the first of every thing, in our situation will serve to establish a Precedent, it is devoutly wished on my part, that these precedents may be fixed on true principles'.
Read more: http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/georgewashington/

2nd:
John Adams 1797 – 1801
( 1 Term) Federalist
Born: 1735 in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
Died: 1826
Wife: Abigail
Notes: A Harvard educated lawyer. Vice President to George Washington for two terms. Notable words: ‘People and nations are forged in the fires of adversity’. On his Vice Presidential role under George Washington, ‘My country has in its own wisdom contrived for me the most insignificant office that ever the invention of man contrived or his imagination conceived’. On the White House, ‘Before I end my letter, I pray Heaven to bestow the best of Blessings on this House and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise Men ever rule under this roof.’
Read more:

3rd:
Thomas Jefferson 1801 – 1809
(2 Terms) Democratic-Republican
Born: 1743 in Albemarle County
Died: July 4 1826.
Wife: Martha Wayles Skelton
Notes: He also read Law. At 33, he drafted the Declaration of Independence. He was more eloquent as a correspondent than as a public speaker. Notable saying: ‘I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man’.
Read more: http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/thomasjefferson/

4th:
James Madison 1809-1817
(2 Terms) Democratic-Republican
Born: 1751
Died: 1836
Wife: Dolley Payne Todd
Notes: He was referred to as the Father of the Constitution in his later years. Read History and Government and well read in Law. Participated in the framing of the Virginia Constitution in 1776. Said on his death bed, ‘The advice nearest to my heart and deepest in my convictions is that the Union of the States be cherished and perpetuated’.
Read more: http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/jamesmadison/

5th:
James Monroe 1817-1825
(2 Terms) Democratic Republican
Born: 1758 in Westmoreland County, Virginia
Died: 1831
Wife: Elizabeth Kortright
Notes: Practiced Law. Jefferson, said of him: ‘Monroe was so honest that if you turned his soul inside out there would not be a spot on it’.
Read more: http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/jamesmonroe/
Re: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire: Learn Something Here. by cabali(m): 2:58pm On Apr 25, 2009
dude why don't you just go to wikipedia, copy the whole application and dump here since you call everyone dumb.

even my 5 year old nephew knows to get all this info from the net and not on this thread.

by the way, with all this, how much have u played for and won??

(1) (Reply)

The Supermom Reality Tv Show / 2010 Owerri (bongo) Music Concert / Have You Ever Seen Any Of This New Nollywood Movie?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.