Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,808 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ (1958 Views)

Which Culture Has The Strongest Influence Among The African Diaspora? / Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing / What Does Your Name Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Winnergal(f): 11:04pm On Apr 18, 2009
Does Your Name(First/Last Name) Have An Influence On You/Your Destiny . . .?

Or is it just a cliche' . .  .?

People bear names like 'Esubiyi' et al . . .
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Nobody: 11:07pm On Apr 18, 2009
i can say for a fact my last name certainly does describe my person.
although, im not so sure about my destiny.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Winnergal(f): 11:11pm On Apr 18, 2009
OMO IBO:

i can say for a fact my last name certainly does describe my person.
although, im not so sure about my destiny.

I know short people who have surnames like 'short' . . .
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Nobody: 9:35am On Apr 19, 2009
are you referring to english or american names?

i doubt african or even NIgerian names have anything similar to that. our names have proper meanings
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by iice(f): 4:54pm On Apr 19, 2009
@Topic personally no. My name is a misdirection of my character cheesy

But my brothers are aptly named. Legends grin
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 19, 2009
No.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 19, 2009
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .

I hope it does. cheesy
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Sissy3(f): 8:15pm On Apr 19, 2009
my last name is not even close to anything me
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Nobody: 8:41pm On Apr 19, 2009
Sometimes, I don't know why married women keep their maiden names.

Me, Mines have nothing to do with me o
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by ChinenyeN(m): 9:42pm On Apr 19, 2009
I actually thought about this quite a while ago, and all my names don't particularly describe me (as I see myself -- or as I would like to see myself), but they seem very representative of my life and the interaction between me and my environment[s]. So me, I'm a believer in names affecting people's lives (how they conduct themselves, how they are viewed by others, etc. etc.). I also do believe in names having a psychological impact on a person's life, and I do believe that the psychological impact can often times manifest itself in reality.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Nobody: 2:52am On Apr 20, 2009
Mine does have an impact. It means 'prominient'. And that's just what I turn out to be wherever I find myself. Sometimes prominient in a good way, sometime not in such a good way embarassed . . .but prominient nevertheless.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by iice(f): 3:17am On Apr 20, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

Sometimes, I don't know why married women keep their maiden names.

Me, Mines have nothing to do with me o

Han han, me i love my last name. . .i would rather change my first name
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Nobody: 4:18am On Apr 20, 2009
Iice, we're opposite here tongue
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by SeanT21(f): 4:39am On Apr 20, 2009
My name is "Peace" cheesy and people tell me that I am not peaceful. embarassed
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by teissys(f): 2:27pm On Apr 27, 2009
My middle name is Waleghwa, meaning that I have been disowned. I hate that name, Sometimes I go through experiences that make me have a re-think about the name my parents gave me. . . cry cry cry
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Gabry(f): 2:58am On Apr 28, 2009
teissys:

My middle name is Waleghwa, meaning that I have been disowned. I hate that name, Sometimes I go through experiences that make me have a re-think about the name my parents gave me. . . cry cry cry

Oh my dear. . . Common now. . . I dont think that could be the meaning of your middle name when you parents thought of naming you naa. . . Am sure there is another meaning to that. have you asked them? Anyways, your name sound beautiful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

@Topic,

My native name does. My native name is Yen Li (That be chinko now) and it means Free Spirited. It 100% resembles me.

My first name comes from the bible and I dont think it matches me cause Im too yeye for that sef. LOL grin
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by teissys(f): 8:24am On Apr 28, 2009
Thanx Gabby. The name means that. Anyways, I was named after my grandma but she wants me to change that name; maybe at one point in life, it brought her some ill-luck or something cheesy
We also got some other funny, ugly names like;
Kina- Meaning an abyss
Majala- Meaning Dust bin
Malemba- Meaning Tea Leaves
Mwamburi- Meaning He-goat
All these are people's names grin grin grin. Inconsiderate, huh?
Like my mum's name (Mkakala) means that she's the wife of a Somali pirate. . . Tehehehehehehehe
Never will I give my kidz such names, they're too spooky for my liking
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Gabry(f): 9:07am On Apr 28, 2009
He goat LMAO!!! grin grin grin Thats funny ooo,. . . grin cheesy

But even thouhg the meanings are funny but the sounds are quite nice . cheesy wink smiley

One of my colleague here , his name is Preety . . . Can you imagine?!?!? One day I met his mom and I ask her why did she name him preety she said she just love the sound of it and I ask her does she know what does it mean? She said no and I told her and she got shock and laugh.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by iice(f): 4:45am On Apr 29, 2009
teissys:

Kina- Meaning an abyss

I like this name. . .
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Phemour: 8:37pm On Apr 29, 2009
Yep, am phemi pple like me alot
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by ifyalways(f): 9:33am On Apr 30, 2009
@Teissy,pls what does Macharia mean?it shld be a kukuui name undecided
@Topic,i dont know though my first name is just a replica of who i am and it even rubs on ppl around me . . . .Good things always cheesy kiss
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by teissys(f): 10:03am On Apr 30, 2009
Lol, Ify. I really don't know what the name means because I'm not of that tribe. Your boyfie is a of the Kikuyu tribe? Lol
Welcome to Kenya grin grin grin
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by ifyalways(f): 10:04am On Apr 30, 2009
Nope,Teissy.a very good mutual friend. smiley
welcome to Nigeria cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by teissys(f): 10:16am On Apr 30, 2009
Teheheheheeh . . .
I'm here baibe. . ! In Enugu, you have a broda? Cz I'm single to mingle wink
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by IFELEKE(m): 3:30pm On Apr 30, 2009
My Names Define me and might influence my destiny but that is Subject to my Decison/Control.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by slimfine(f): 6:53pm On Jun 13, 2009
don't think so! big baloney
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Beaf: 3:11am On Jun 18, 2009
My first name gives me strength when I'm weak.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Beaf: 3:13am On Jun 18, 2009
If I live up to my last name, very, very many women will be pregnant!!!! grin grin
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by tpiah: 4:36pm On Jun 18, 2009
@ topic

I'm not sure. It could also be the way people around you see your name, that gives the effect.
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by rubi(f): 6:21pm On Jun 22, 2009
My name has a powerful and positive influence upon my life till present I am happy and grateful my parents named me those name
As they say words are powerful so as names are
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by bawomolo(m): 6:49pm On Jun 22, 2009
not at all.

just a myth
Re: ~Does Your Name(first/last Name) Have An Influence On You/your Destiny . . .?~ by Winnergal(f): 7:37pm On Jun 22, 2009
Beaf:

If I live up to my last name, very, very many women will be pregnant!!!! grin grin

Is ur last name oko to dun?

(1) (Reply)

The Bekwarra New Yam Festival And Its Significance By Ushie Sunday Ashiwere / Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want / The Strongest Man In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.