Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

Is Television Evangelism By Force? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Television Evangelism By Force? (4565 Views)

Religion : Evangelism And The Fear Of Apostasy. / Why Pastor Bakare Left Deeper Life Church: Television! / Evangelism In Public Buses Is Madness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Television Evangelism By Force? by eghosaobas: 1:53pm On Apr 19, 2009
When I was growing up,you will see people coming to your houses to evangelise and bring people to God. Some will get your contact address for follow up.

But these days what we have now are pastors and in most cases and their wives coming on air and television as host and co host of a Christian program. At the end of the program they will be soliciting for money from the public to be able to sustain the program,they will display on the television an account number were you are to send the money to.

Some will just preach for 10mins or 15mins and next would be how to send the money to them. If you watch Christian programs on a Sunday, most of them are begging for one money or the other, while some a specific on the amount you are to give,like Bishop Lanre Obembe is always asking for 1000 a month. So you can see where we are coming from.

I now start wondering if they are forced to preach on air, what has happened to our door to door evangelism?
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by marvisken: 5:11pm On Apr 19, 2009
Some of this pastors dont even have a church,just to come on air after borrowing money for one or two slot,they will start begging for money to be sent to their personal account so as to continue with the broadcast.
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by Iranoladun(f): 5:48pm On Apr 19, 2009
Prosperity evangelism! They are only interested in their pockets! Even though television is a means for a wider reach against door to door evangelism most get-rich-quick pastors have turn it into money spinning venture in their churches and on air.
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by segyemaro(m): 7:29pm On Apr 19, 2009
Yea this happens mostly on air. I agree with the poster,there is no television preaching that would not request for money at the end of the program. Are they passing message or passing naira notes into their pockets.
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by Lady2(f): 7:21am On Apr 20, 2009
Nope it is not by force. You don't want to watch, turn the station. You have that option, I believe.
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by AKO1(m): 7:34am On Apr 20, 2009
eghosaobas:

When i was growing up,you will see people coming to your houses to evangelise and bring people to God. Some will get your contact address for follow up. But these days what we have now are pastors and in most cases and their wives coming on air and television as host and co host of a christain program.

So what is the difference? Or did you 'grow up' in the 21st century?
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by Gold24: 8:04am On Apr 20, 2009
Television was created for the gospel.The owner of TBN
got the revelation to start TBN when he was reading the
bible
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by maddock(m): 12:08pm On Apr 20, 2009
Door to door evangelism is still being done and relevant today, but since we have newer technology and ways to reach people en mass while not make use of that opportunity. technological innovations are supposed to be used majorly for the spread of the gospel. How many homes can you get across to, say in places like Victoria Island,parkview by foot? But with television, BOOM, you are hitting them straight in their living and bedroom.
So if you cant get them physically you will get them through the TV and radio,ANDASTAND?
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by Krayola(m): 12:56pm On Apr 20, 2009
Religion, especially Christianity, has become a commodity for sale. Its the sad truth, very sad.
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by adetunrayo(f): 1:13pm On Apr 20, 2009
Door 2 Door evangelism is no more common as before.
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by maddock(m): 1:16pm On Apr 20, 2009
Krayola:

Religion, especially Christianity, has become a commodity for sale. Its the sad truth, very sad.

How do mean?
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by KunleOshob(m): 1:22pm On Apr 20, 2009
maddock:

How do mean?
Ask pastor chris, he as a lot of expertise and experience on merchandizing and profiting from christianity
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by MrCrackles(m): 1:22pm On Apr 20, 2009
Personally, if anyone from any religious denomination come knocking on my door to preach, i will spit or force out hot phlegm on the person's face!
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by MrCrackles(m): 1:22pm On Apr 20, 2009
KunleOshob:

Ask pastor chris, he as a lot of expertise and experience on merchandizing and profiting from christianity

Lolz! cheesy
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by solosimple(m): 1:25pm On Apr 20, 2009
@Gold24 "Television was created for the gospel"

HOW? Guess I don't understand.

Christian TV Broadcast is never wrong. It is true that it has been abused by many people but the purpose in itself is good.
However, I strongly believe in FACE-TO-FACE EVANGELISM. I believe it is still the most effective. I don't know if there are many unbelievers who got saved by watching TV (Xtian Broadcast)

@The Poster
Do you practice House-to-house Evangelism?
If YES, then you are blessed in the deed.
If No, then your question is hypocritical, and so you should repent.
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by topsy25(m): 1:33pm On Apr 20, 2009
~Lady~:

Nope it is not by force. You don't want to watch, turn the station. You have that option, I believe.

hello there!!!

it seems u're not getting the poster's point here. The guy is not saying preaching the gospel on air is wrong or bad; but that it is unchristlike to beg for money via the preaching of the gospel.

if you're truly sure that God sent you to preach the gospel via the TV, then you don't have to beg cos the God that sent you will surely provide the money u need to do His work in such a way that'll u'll know its the hand of God. Was He not the one that commanded raven to feed His prophet?

x-tians have been charged to preach the gospel; but I never saw where begging for money was included in the instruction our Lord gave us. Freely have I given you, freely give.

Jesus once asked: "if I come back to the earth, will I meet faith , "? And I wonder undecided
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by abhosts(m): 1:34pm On Apr 20, 2009
eghosaobas:

When I was growing up,you will see people coming to your houses to evangelise and bring people to God. Some will get your contact address for follow up.

But these days what we have now are pastors and in most cases and their wives coming on air and television as host and co host of a Christian program. At the end of the program they will be soliciting for money from the public to be able to sustain the program,they will display on the television an account number were you are to send the money to.

Some will just preach for 10mins or 15mins and next would be how to send the money to them. If you watch Christian programs on a Sunday, most of them are begging for one money or the other, while some a specific on the amount you are to give,like Bishop Lanre Obembe is always asking for 1000 a month. So you can see where we are coming from.

I now start wondering if they are forced to preach on air, what has happened to our door to door evangelism?

Answer to your question:

Why do we use SMS and Emails to communicate with our friends and loved ones? Why can't we hit the road every time we wanna say hi? Afterall, that was the norm when we were "growing up".
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by maddock(m): 1:35pm On Apr 20, 2009
KunleOshob:

Thank God for that experience and expertise because he is really using it to spread the gospel around the world, so what are you doing about yours NADA. Except to come in here and backbite.
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by maddock(m): 1:49pm On Apr 20, 2009
abhosts:

Answer to your question:

Why do we use SMS and Emails to communicate with our friends and loved ones? Why can't we hit the road every time we wanna say hi? Afterall, that was the norm when we were "growing up".

God bless you my broda(or sista) at times i wonder if some folks think before posting anything thy feel like. Its ok to him for him make calls and send sms like you rightly pointed out instead of visiting, but totally wrong when its been done by a church. Are these people in churches not humans like everybody with the ability to make use of the technological advancements in easing their professions?
topsy25:

hello there!!!

it seems u're not getting the poster's point here. The guy is not saying preaching the gospel on air is wrong or bad; but that it is unchristlike to beg for money via the preaching of the gospel.

if you're truly sure that God sent you to preach the gospel via the TV, then you don't have to beg cos the God that sent you will surely provide the money u need to do His work in such a way that'll u'll know its the hand of God. Was He not the one that commanded raven to feed His prophet?

x-tians have been charged to preach the gospel; but I never saw where begging for money was included in the instruction our Lord gave us. Freely have I given you, freely give.

Jesus once asked: "if I come back to the earth, will I meet faith , "? And I wonder undecided

I totally agree with you, because i believe if God really sent you on any errand he would make all the provisions ready and available for you.

@KunleOshob
Does Pastor Chris beg for money on air? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by KunleOshob(m): 2:03pm On Apr 20, 2009
maddock:

@KunleOshob
Does Pastor Chris beg for money on air? grin grin grin grin grin

Na pastor chris is too advanced in his art of scamming that he doesn't need to beg any more, he would rather deceive, manipulate and intimidate people into parting with there cash(he makes more money that way than by begging). Also as i said earlier he is very good at merchandizing so he makes a lot of cash from selling all sorts of rubbish(i.e rhapsodies of unrealities) to his numerous gullible customers.
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by maddock(m): 2:13pm On Apr 20, 2009
Hahahahaha Rhapsodies of unrealities, but the fastest selling daily devotional today in Nigeria (Africa and world). Dont worry keep on sleeping by the time you wake up,WATER GO DON PASS GARRI. MIGLET.
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by hisprops: 2:14pm On Apr 20, 2009
na God go save us from this niaja,,
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by sojioguns(m): 2:34pm On Apr 20, 2009
@hisprops, What has Naija done for God to save us? The poster is just concerned.
It seems I have been living under a rock because I have never seen any Xtian programme that the pastor begs for money. I should watch TV more often.
This is really bad if it's true though.
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by KunleOshob(m): 2:47pm On Apr 20, 2009
maddock:

Hahahahaha Rhapsodies of unrealities, but the fastest selling daily devotional today in Nigeria (Africa and world). Dont worry keep on sleeping by the time you wake up,WATER GO DON PASS GARRI. MIGLET.
Fastest selling indeed, another of the numerous lies you clowns are constantly being fed with.

Just as one of you CEC customers claimed to have 10,000 workers and over three million members nationwide, why are you guys so notorious for standing the truth on it's head??
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by Krayola(m): 3:27pm On Apr 20, 2009
How do i reply a specific post? I'm kinda new on the forum so i don't know how it works. Thank you
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Apr 20, 2009

Lol, this is true.
Krayola:

How do i reply a specific post? I'm kinda new on the forum so i don't know how it works. Thank you

The same way you replied this one. smiley
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by OREAWADOO: 4:21pm On Apr 20, 2009
maddock (m)

Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force?
« #20 on: Today at 02:13:53 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hahahahaha Rhapsodies of unrealities, but the fastest selling daily devotional today in Nigeria (Africa and world). Dont worry keep on sleeping by the time you wake up,WATER GO DON PASS GARRI. MIGLET

STOP THIS PROPAGANDA
the pamphlet [ROR] is forced on members by the 10 -50 etc
cellS are allocated specific numbers to SELL to members
STOP BEING A MUPPET AND DECIEVING PEOPLE TELL THE TRUTH FOR ONCE!
how do you call such a project a bestseller. PLEASE
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by topsy25(m): 4:27pm On Apr 20, 2009
Kunle, you or anybody else do not need to judge or critisize any pastor (real or so-called), what we need is real prayer for the country and christiandom.

we really need God to deliver us from these angels of doom.
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by Krayola(m): 4:31pm On Apr 20, 2009
I mean how do i reply to someone else's post by quoting that specific post?
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by OREAWADOO: 4:41pm On Apr 20, 2009
have they all gone quite about the truth of ror
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by Lady2(f): 4:55pm On Apr 20, 2009
topsy25:

hello there!!!

And I will repeat, nope. If you do not want to watch, change the station. I personally do not watch televangelists. The only one I would bring myself to watch is EWTN, it's a catholic broadcast for everything catholic, I am catholic and only watch the Catholic broadcasts, so you see I have exercised my right not to watch televangelists and the poster and yourself and everyone who disagrees with them can do just that. If you are foolish enough to fork your money over to them, that is entirely your own. YOU DO HAVE THE POWER TO CHANGE THE STATION AND NOT WATCH.

@KunleOshob
Thanks for that wonderful laugh. I really enjoyed it.
Re: Is Television Evangelism By Force? by maddock(m): 5:33pm On Apr 20, 2009
EVERYTHING YOU NEED IN THIS WORLD
IS WRAPPED UP IN THE WORD
SO GO FOR THE WORD
YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THIS
WHEN YOU GET A HOLD OF IT
KEEP SAYING IT DONT STOP TALKING IT
THE BIBLE SAYS IN THE CITY OF EPHESUS
SO MIGHTILY GREW THE WORD OF GOD
AND PREVAIL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

.noah Story,(literal Or Allegorical)??? / Pastor Fasts During Ramadan / Atheists Dilemma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.