Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,062 members, 7,810,953 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:25 PM

Playing God - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Playing God (1569 Views)

6 Life Lessons From Playing Tetris / So Obinna... You Are Now Playing Chaka Chaka With My Heart! / Playing Prank With Death: Fanfiction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Playing God by adegwurulez(m): 12:13pm On Oct 01, 2015
The prospects of having to spend some free time with his cute little angel – much more than the prospects of having some leisure time to himself– gladdened him. The past few months had seen him caught in the middle of a big fight between science and God. Of course he was God’s advocate. He was the president of an international activists group that aimed to veto science. His actions against science and modern ideas weren’t born out of any acrimony, how could anyone think that his fights were born out of animosities when in reality, he was a scientist? His abhorrence was only triggered when science crosses that fine line that separates man from God. Their fight had started with their open opposition to transsexuals, then, it broadened to all LGBT and in recent months… this.

A group of scientists had come to the country with claims they could bring humans back from the dead as long as the person had not been dead for more than 1hour. They claimed to have a new cardiopulmonary recitation(CPR) machine called ‘Autopulse’ which revived the heart and lungs through a series of compressions effectively returning pulse to a dead patient. At first, they were waved off as crazy scientists who wanted guinea pigs for their experiment, but ever since the testimonies of a man that was brought back to life hit the air, people were beginning to open up to them. It was now seen as a breakthrough of some sorts and a victory for science.

No! They were seeing it the wrong way. No human should be empowered in the area of life and death. Just as nobody has the right to take a life, so should it also be as regards bringing back to life a dead man. This will no doubt undermine the sovereignty of God. What would the human race turn to without the fear of death? Chaos! For every life that God takes, there is a reason and by virtue of his sovereignty, we should respect that reason. He wasn’t new to respecting God’s decision in life. Shortly after the birth of his daughter, the doctor had broken the news to him that his wife’s endometrium would no longer be capable of supporting another foetus and therefore future conceptions will have to go through IVF. He had outrightly rejected the option of IVF, he surrendered wholly to God’s will.

Apart from his religious angle, he also had scientific backing. For every life lost, a new life springs forth. In other words, for every death, there is a corresponding birth. What now happens when we cancel death out of the equation without simultaneously halting birth? Overpopulation! Competition for scarce resources. Hunger. Starvation. War. So if this new innovation is looked at through philosophical lenses, it isn’t saving humanity, it is destroying it. Just like the tower of Babel in the bible… okay now he was going back into religion.

As it stands though, they were winning the war. He just received a call from his lawyer that the ‘life for all’ health center which is the ground for their repugnance would be sealed in the coming days.

That would be enough comeuppance for their sins, He thought.

Why was he even still thinking of it? He should be thinking about the surprise he intends to give his daughter. On his way from work, he had stopped by the estate’s mall and bought a cute doll for her 6th birthday. Actually, the birthday was weeks back but he had forgotten, same way he had forgotten his whole parental responsibilities in pursuit of victory for God. ‘’It was worth it.’’ He always consoles himself. But even now, he knew the only thing worth doing was spending time with his daughter, showing her the love he was never there to give.

As he drove into the garage, he immediately knew something was wrong. His daughter didn’t run to welcome him, very unusual but he waved it off. She probably was dozing off. He stepped out of the car with the doll in his hands like a proud father who wanted to bribe a kid after spanking her. He had promised himself and God he was going to create time, no matter how tight his schedule might be, to be with his daughter. He had lined up picnics, visits to tourist destinations, lunch and several other packages that come with being a good father. Then at night he’d tell her stories and sing her lullabies and caress her chin and let her sleep on his shoulder, that would be the first step towards letting her know how much she meant to him.

He opened the door into his spacious palour but met it empty.

‘’Hun, I’m back.’’

Silence!

‘’sweetheart!’’

Silence still.

He slumped on the couch, removing his suit and loosening his tie. Just then, he heard it. Faint sobs coming from upstairs. He stood up quickly, dropping the doll on the floor and rushed upstairs. As soon as he entered the room, he saw his wife sprawled on the floor, clutching their daughter.

‘’what’s wrong?’’ he asked but his wife was too occupied with sobbing that she couldn’t make out time in between to answer him. He went down on his knees and drew closer to his daughter. Her body was still. Cold. Lifeless. He quickly grabbed her wrist and checked for pulse but there was nothing. He placed his ear on her chest to hear even the slightest sound of a beating heart but he heard nothing. He quickly lifted her up.

‘’What are you doing?’’ his wife asked but he didn’t reply, he was too occupied.

‘’Talk to me!’’ she shouted.

‘’If I could…’’ he stuttered.

‘’If you could do what?’’

‘’Hospital… if I could get her to the hospital in time.’’

‘’She’s dead.’’ She announced to him, as if he wasn’t already aware.

‘’There must be something… I believe…there has to be.’’

She stood in from of him, held on to his shoulders and said softly but firmly. ‘’She is dead.’’

As if suddenly realizing, he started sobbing gently but with so much pain. His wife hugged him tightly as there was an outpour of catharses.

‘’How did it happen?’’’he asked amidst sobs.

‘’She came back from school running a temperature, I thought it was just fever and I gave her paracetamol’’ she held back tears. ‘’all of a sudden, she started shaking violently and then… and then… she stopped breathing.’’ With that last sentence, she opened up the flood gates and wailed ever so loudly.

She didn’t even see her husband slumping down dejectedly. He felt pains like he had never felt. He should have been with his daughter, spend more time with her, tell her how he loved her, if not for that… that…He stood up quickly.

‘’How long has she been dead?’’ he asked.

‘’About 30 minutes.’’

He picked up his car keys, lifted his daughter and ran out. His wife stood there, watching her husband’s behavior in bafflement.

‘’Pray for us.’’ He called out from the palour. ‘’there is still hope.’’

He couldn’t tell if he was supposed to be ashamed of what he was about to do or not, but a man has got to do what a man’s got to do. This could be God’s solution for him, after all, God works in mysterious ways. He glanced at his daughter firmly strapped to the car seat by the seat belt. She couldn’t just leave him like that. She was his all.

He stepped on the gas, increasing the speed of the car. He would soon get there, he was just a street away.
How would they look at him? Will he be welcomed? His news will surely make headlines for weeks but he couldn’t care less, all he wanted was his daughter back.

As he entered the street, he could see many people in front of the large edifice. Seems many people died today, he thought but on a closer look, he saw pressmen, law enforcement officers and oddly, his lawyer. He brought his car to a halt in front of the structure and came down with his daughter. His lawyer quickly sighted him and came toward him.

‘’Good news, the process went faster than envisaged and we were able to get the court order for the sealing of this place. your number was switched…’’

His voiced trialed off as he watched his client walk past him.
With his daughter in his hands, he pushed his way through the crowd towards the passageway where the scientist were been led out. He dropped his daughter on the ground.

‘’Help me.’’ He pleaded. ‘’It’s not been up to 1 hour, please you can bring her back.’’

The scientists all looked at him with scorn. They had recognized him as the man who had been terrorizing them for far too long, the man who should be celebrating his victory now. One of them spoke.

‘’Bringing your daughter back would be going against nature, it would disrupt nature’s equilibrium. If looked through philosophical lenses, your daughter’s resuscitation wouldn’t be saving her, it would be destroying her in the long run.’’

‘’I’m sorry’’ he pleaded, looking down at his lifeless daughter.

‘’Sorry for what? For opening our eyes to the great abominations we’ve been committing? Please don’t be. Our methods are morally and ethically wrong. We are sorry.’’

‘’Please!’’ he shouted, getting impatient with their games.

‘’Even if we agree to commit the abomination just this once, our hands are still tied. Our lab has been sealed and our machines confiscated.
Sorry mister.’’ They all left in one file, leaving him on his knees crying his eyeballs out.

The cameras were all focused on him but he didn’t seem to care, he cried knowing he had failed himself, his family and God. He realized he couldn’t play God. He realized he was too much of a mortal to understand God. He realized that the decisions to be taken as regards natural phenomena can only be taken by a God who sees all and not someone with mortal eyes. Once again, he surrendered to God, but this time not as a god under God but as a mortal who can never understand God.

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY CELEBRATION

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Playing God by melekan(m): 12:14pm On Oct 01, 2015
Ftc. i don book sit down,nah only ma babe eniqurl i go call
Re: Playing God by ritababe(f): 12:16pm On Oct 01, 2015
Ok
Re: Playing God by Eniqurl(f): 12:26pm On Oct 01, 2015
melekan:
Thanks cutie.

CC: kinglekan, Hfinest1, IDFWU, dhamiylhola, BeeBeeOoh, Hurklan, Liljboy, Dalyjay.

1 Like

Re: Playing God by Hurklan(m): 1:12pm On Oct 01, 2015
present... thanks bae
Re: Playing God by LEGITLAYO: 1:41pm On Oct 01, 2015
Lol adegwurulez grin grin.
You've come again.
Welcome back from sabbatical.
This is a masterpiece smiley
Re: Playing God by kinglekan: 1:53pm On Oct 01, 2015
Eniqurl:
Thanks cutie.

CC: kinglekan, Hfinest1, IDFWU, dhamiylhola, BeeBeeOoh, Hurklan, Liljboy, Dalyjay.

This is really enthralling and quite touching. Nice one Op.

Keep it coming.

1 Like

Re: Playing God by melekan(m): 2:07pm On Oct 01, 2015
kinglekan:

Keep it coming.
pleasure to finally meet the king-lekan,its me-lekan.

1 Like

Re: Playing God by adegwurulez(m): 2:57pm On Oct 01, 2015
melekan:
One bottle of orijin for your troubles...
Re: Playing God by adegwurulez(m): 2:58pm On Oct 01, 2015
Re: Playing God by adegwurulez(m): 3:00pm On Oct 01, 2015
LEGITLAYO:
Lol adegwurulez grin grin. You've come again. Welcome back from sabbatical. This is a masterpiece smiley
He isn't back yet, he just felt like dropping a short piece.
Re: Playing God by adegwurulez(m): 3:00pm On Oct 01, 2015
kinglekan:

Keep it coming.
Lol... tori don end
Re: Playing God by melekan(m): 3:13pm On Oct 01, 2015
adegwurulez:
One bottle of orijin for your troubles...
cum on... you are richer than that you can do more. orijin is too small
Re: Playing God by kinglekan: 5:14pm On Oct 01, 2015
adegwurulez:

Lol... tori don end
cry cry
Re: Playing God by kinglekan: 5:14pm On Oct 01, 2015
melekan:

pleasure to finally meet the king-lekan,its me-lekan.

The pleasure is also mine bruv. smiley
Re: Playing God by adegwurulez(m): 7:29pm On Oct 01, 2015
melekan:

cum on... you are richer than that you can do more. orijin is too small
Alomo then.. grin
Re: Playing God by hfinest1(m): 4:57pm On Oct 02, 2015
*drives in with my pure gold Ferrari, cones down and sit on the bumper* eniqurl, come n siy here with me...

BTW, I'm enjoying this, will there b a continuation?
Re: Playing God by Eniqurl(f): 11:41pm On Oct 02, 2015
hfinest1:
*drives in with my pure gold Ferrari, cones down and sit on the bumper* eniqurl, come n siy here with me...

BTW, I'm enjoying this, will there b a continuation?
No continuation jorh
Re: Playing God by hfinest1(m): 9:55pm On Oct 03, 2015
Eniqurl:
No continuation jorh
why nau... cry so, its just an appetizer... no main course or dessert sadsad

(1) (Reply)

The White Paper ( A Romance Story) / My Mapoly Life(the Good,the Bad, And The Ugly) / The Historical Life And Times Of Chinua Achebe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.