Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,460 members, 7,819,678 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers (19738 Views)

Another Narialander Roofing Project In Port Harcourt From Scaffold,parapet And R / Scaffolding, Parapet And Roofing Job At Abeokuta / Pre Cast Parapet, Roofing And Finish Of A Duplex In Umuahia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by Benoxvals(m): 4:04pm On Oct 01, 2015
I humbly call on Oga Spyder and other building experts in the house to please elaborate more on PARAPET ROOFING and answer these questions below...from one of Oga Spyders thread...

10 questions.......

1. is the parapet worth the hype?
2. Is pre cast better than the full cast?
3. Is the costs worth the aestethic value it can place on the building?
4. Can I add this to my private home or to a block of flats for rents?
5. What are the positives?
6. Shebi everything that has an advantage also has a disadvantage?
7. Can it prevent burglaries?
8. Can it prevent rodents and bats from hiding in my ceiling?
9. Does it limit indoor ventilation?
10. Can I do this parapet if my roof has been roofed before?

Am about roofing my house and the contractors quote for this parapet roofing got my head spinning..

1 Like

Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by brabus(m): 8:20pm On Oct 01, 2015
Benoxvals:

10 questions.......

1. is the parapet worth the hype? NO!

2. Is pre cast better than the full cast? NO!

3. Is the costs worth the aestethic value it can place on the building? NO!
Because it's sustainability that matters. Build a house that will suit young and old alike, that can be adapted to meet changing needs over generations, that use replaceable materials/elements. Parapet is the in-thing now. Who knows what will be trending in 10 years time? Think of Nigerite superlite roof and clay tiles which were trending just few years ago. They have been completely faced out.

4. Can I add this to my private home or to a block of flats for rents? Yes, you can. Once your build budget can comfortably accommodate it.

5. What are the positives? A case of choosing aesthetics over function. It makes your house beautiful.

6. Shebi everything that has an advantage also has a disadvantage?
Imposed load on structure and adaptability. Once you have a parapet, you cannot without serious work modify the structure.

7. Can it prevent burglaries? Yes but it's not the state police.

8. Can it prevent rodents and bats from hiding in my ceiling? Maybe. Though fascia boards can achieve the same feat.

9. Does it limit indoor ventilation? NO!

10. Can I do this parapet if my roof has been roofed before? NO! Except you want to pull off the roof

Am about roofing my house and the contractors quote for this parapet roofing got my head spinning..

Don't get too emotional when making real estate financial decision. Parapet house in a wrong location, without ample parking space and badly designed structure won't give you good returns on your investment. Carefully weigh your expected income with the expenses you'll incur as a landlord (the taxes, HOA levies, cost of maintenance and improvements, vacancy period... etc)
Do the Maths!
Don't always think of your house as a bank account!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by mufutau55(m): 8:32pm On Oct 01, 2015
Very good and honest answer, Mr. Brabus.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by brabus(m): 8:48pm On Oct 01, 2015
^^^
Thank you Hajji. It's painful how we waste our hard earned funds on things that doesn't add value.

A parapet on a standard block of flat will cost at least 700k or more. 3 lockup shops with dedicated toilet will cost between 800k - 1.2m and bring you at least 200k per annum anywhere in Lagos.

Just last week, I was able to convince one of my client to build 6 lockup shops for 2m and forget about having a parapet over his block of flat. I told him at the very end what matters is the ROI and not the looks.

Let's also take a cue from the popular Oluwanishola Estate in Lagos, very massive build but low occupancy rate. Baba Na billionaire but what my daddy told me is that "the rich also cry" when they make a bad move.

5 Likes

Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by Benoxvals(m): 10:15pm On Oct 01, 2015
[quote author=brabus post=38575616][/quote]

Thank you Mr.Brabus
Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by kolnel: 10:53pm On Oct 01, 2015
@oga brabus
Nice answers right there
Please what can you say about wall Screeding
POp ceiling
What can you say about the functionality vis a vis the aesthetics value and the economy implication
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by brabus(m): 5:37am On Oct 02, 2015
kolnel:
@oga brabus
Nice answers right there
Please what can you say about wall Screeding
POp ceiling
What can you say about the functionality vis a vis the aesthetics value and the economy implication
Thanks

Good morning!

The reason most houses get ridiculously expensive is that they’re pretty poorly planned. Today, many designers/builders compensate for their lack of skill by loading the exteriors up with as much stuff as they can – parapets, complex roofs, arched windows, quoins, fussy and inappropriate details, etc.

Lots of money get spent in areas where nobody is benefitting but the home builder. Shocking!

In the olden days, freehand plastering handled by skilled bricklayers is a way of creating smooth walls. Nowadays, builders compensate for the lack of these skills with screeding, drywall and plasterboards at the expense of homeowner.

Here's a rule of thumb when picking finishing details for your build:

1. Only Use It Where It Counts

While I pray and hope you become a billionaire one day, don’t spend like one just yet. Screeding the whole house in the name of achieving smooth walls is a sheer waste of fund. Put the money in finishes and fixtures you’ll enjoy every day. Get a good bricklayer to do justice to your walls.

2. Design for Low Maintenance

Spend more here to save more later. Cheap roofing, doors and windows will cost you way more in the long run than quality components will now. Forget about those brass faucets in the kids bathroom. Ask them how they feel about it - they don't really care. All they wanted is the Spyderman bed and Batman costume and posters on their wall. The wall you spend fortune to achieve smooth surface.

3. Be More Creative

I just finished a project (3 units of 4 bed duplex) and the overall spend on POP ceiling is less than N1m. How did we achieve this? We were upfront about what we wanted in our plan and construction process. We went for marine boards during the slab construction to achieve a very smooth and neat surface which will require no plastering during rendering of the structure. All we did was to screed over the smooth surface and put cornices on the edges with a little drop designs to make it look fantastic. It doesn't have to be overly expensive for it to make meaning. The long and short of this N50m (cost of land and building) investment is that the property is generating a whooping N7.5m on the first year. Isn't that a worthwhile ROI?

Hope this helps.

______
Pics: 1. Unplastered slab 2. Installing POP cornices 3 & 4. Finishing pictures

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by ifyalways(f): 5:55am On Oct 02, 2015
Bookmarked.
Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by donbuchi1(m): 2:17pm On Oct 05, 2015
Thanks for throwing this up...
Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by Dominionng(m): 6:46am On Oct 09, 2015
brabus:

Screeding the whole house in the name of achieving smooth walls is a sheer waste of fund.

shocked shocked

Please permit me to point some things out before a novice stumble on this thread and make a decision based on the quoted.

Is Wall Screeding mandatory in home finishing? NO!

Is it necessary? YES!

Without wall screeding, what options do I have? Paint your wall textcoat paint or normal emulsion paint and keep repainting after a couple of Christmas since Modern silk and decorative paints is a joke on a nak*d concrete background(even if Baba Lati the bricklayer spends a decade plastering it)

Probably the comment is meant for those building for commercial purpose? If not, who builds a home he wanna reside in and think of ROI? Not everyone want to build their home like a low-cost housing estate! Coz I will have few cash left if I purchase a salvage option doesn't make clean titles cars "sheer waste of money"

Whoever said main purpose of wall screeding is to have smooth walls?

After all...

5 Likes

Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by brabus(m): 7:21am On Oct 09, 2015
Dominionng:

shocked shocked

No pun intended. Can you justify the need for this?

I've posted before seeing your comment above.
Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by brabus(m): 8:27am On Oct 09, 2015
@dominionng,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm also a newbie in this trade but here's my view.

"A house is a sum of its parts"

Unfortunately, the design world has been taken over by every Tom, Dick and Harry who knows one thing or the other about Home Building. I've seen a Carpenter recommending materials for a Kitchen makeover. A wallpaper installer recommending choice of colors that will flow with the design scheme. Even most home owners sabi pass professional designers. Eventually, what we see is a charade!

As much as I want to agree with you on the need to screed for a smooth wall when applying decorative paints. My design bible reminded me of the elements of a good interior.

1. Light - the effect of natural and artificial light on your design
2. Continuity and Flow - the sense of consistency within and between rooms
3. Space - the scale of the room as it is affected by wall treatments
4. Contrast - the interplay of the opposites
5. Texture

Now, it's getting interesting. It's not about the cost, whether low or medium or luxury. It's about achieving balance with aesthetic and practical function. Faux painting might be the best looking design possible for a given room, but if the room belongs to a child, you need to start thinking of a more durable alternatives or how to employ someone to teach the child how to live right in his/her own room which is always the case. The same thing applies to every elements in a house including "Wall Screeding"

We need to be practical and need to be adviced on what should be quality upfront. There's always a focal point wall in every room. It deserves your best attention. The same way, you need to treat each walls and rooms based on available budget and stop wishful thinking.

______
Painting and wall screeding is not new. It has always been with us. The difference between now and then is that we choose the easiest way not minding the economy of scale.

Before now, surface preparation is a must. And your final look will depend largely on the care and efforts you put into preparation. That means sanding, patching and priming had to be done over and over before painting.
Before now, most professional painters budget at least one third of their time to preparation. What do we have now? Painters who wanted to get the job done in 3 days.

What happened to the 60 - 80 grit silicon carbide sandpapers? What happened to the patching compounds? I guess we've lost all that! I learnt so much while I was young than now. All I'm doing now is to give back what we've lost in time.

Anyway, we are in the modern age. We're no longer as creative as our forefathers. We throw money at the problem.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by brabus(m): 8:52am On Oct 09, 2015
I've seen natural handwork of men. They're so beautiful! Non-Screeded walls. Normal emulsion paint job.

_____
Pic - Lagos, NG

Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by beansandgarri(f): 8:59am On Oct 09, 2015
Parapets are beautiful but I am not sure of the functionality.just moved into a house with parapet roof but when it rains water leaks into the wall.

5 Likes

Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by brabus(m): 9:03am On Oct 09, 2015
beansandgarri:
Parapets are beautiful but I am not sure of the functionality.just moved into a house with parapet roof but when it rains water leaks into the wall.

Just like I mentioned above, the parapet is not a police station. Neither is it an umbrella. Believe it or not, it's just a part of the building which most Naija designer introduce to compensate for lack of skills to design a very beautiful exterior.

You don't get to see much of it in design from other countries.

2 Likes

Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by Dominionng(m): 6:43am On Oct 10, 2015
@brabus,

May God bless your wisdom Sir. You are PRETTY good with words, I give you that! Probably you missed the discussion topic which is "Wall Screeding being a sheer waste of fund", because the epistle up there still didn't defend that. That assumption is WRONG! not partially, but TOTALLY!

Like I said, what option do one have without a good wall screeding? Prep your wall, paint it textcoat or normal emulsion and move on. You'd still have a good night rest. Can modern faux painting be applied on a nak*d concrete wall even if it prepped for a decade? NO! Probably you wanna change the NO to YES and let's deliberate on that.

Forget the so called screeding people do on walls this days, with the right mix and application, do you know that POP wall screeding is fire and heat resistance? Probably the former doesn't count but the latter is the main reason why it's widely accepted in Africa, South America and India. To call that "a sheer waste of fund" is a joke!

On the average, 300k for a standard fully detached duplex and half of that for a 3 bedroom bungalow on projects that cost millions, with its advantages, a sheer waste of funds? Please Bros...

4 Likes

Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by brabus(m): 6:46am On Oct 10, 2015
@Dominionng, you win!

2 Likes

Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by mavverick: 12:32pm On Oct 10, 2015
This world is funny sha, I find it hard to believe brabus is here advising people despite all the atrocities he has committed and the fact that he's not even qualified to give any advice, most of what he says are textbook stuff.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by wbocrusaders: 7:11am On May 21, 2016
Like I read here that Parapet can not be done after putting in place the roofing. But, you have to have asked the following questions first before concluding that it MAY not be possible. 1. Is it only the roof wood works, without the roofing sheets and also without the ceiling nogging that is in place, before concluding as above?
2. Is the roofing totally concluded with sheets and ceiling nogging and even the POP/ceiling in place?
According to (1) above, you can easily still put in place your Parapet. Its just a matter of you having a good Structural Engineer, who works using good Artisans.

IN CONCLUSION
Never conclude easily that something is impossible. And moreover, I will like to advice client's not to be wasteful in spending. Though, Parapet is good looking and adds beauty to projects. But do you know that it adds more weight to your building. And why will you want to waste almost the amount that you would have spent to complete your roofing on mere Parapet? Your way and income is different from your colleagues, friends, families and others.
Have you thought of it that BEAUTY is seasonal!

1 Like

Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by Nobody: 8:14am On May 21, 2016
brabus:
I've seen natural handwork of men. They're so beautiful! Non-Screeded walls. Normal emulsion paint job.

_____
Pic - Lagos, NG

Is this one of your builds? Can you share more details please?

Thanks.
Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by pers(m): 8:26am On Mar 14, 2018
can we screed the surface of the parapet
Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by Joyrise: 12:38pm On Apr 03, 2018
Dominionng:
@brabus,

May God bless your wisdom Sir. You are PRETTY good with words, I give you that! Probably you missed the discussion topic which is "Wall Screeding being a sheer waste of fund", because the epistle up there still didn't defend that. That assumption is WRONG! not partially, but TOTALLY!

Like I said, what option do one have without a good wall screeding? Prep your wall, paint it textcoat or normal emulsion and move on. You'd still have a good night rest. Can modern faux painting be applied on a nak*d concrete wall even if it prepped for a decade? NO! Probably you wanna change the NO to YES and let's deliberate on that.

Forget the so called screeding people do on walls this days, with the right mix and application, do you know that POP wall screeding is fire and heat resistance? Probably the former doesn't count but the latter is the main reason why it's widely accepted in Africa, South America and India. To call that "a sheer waste of fund" is a joke!

On the average, 300k for a standard fully detached duplex and half of that for a 3 bedroom bungalow on projects that cost millions, with its advantages, a sheer waste of funds? Please Bros...

@Dominionng
I think @brabus is just trying to advice people who may not have much on them yet they want everything modern building stuffs on the building not to kill themselves.
My major interest in ur contribution is what it can cost to screed or POP a 3 bedroom bungalow as u quoted up there.
Thanks
Re: Parapet Roofing Questions $ Answers by Sufisunni: 11:58pm On Apr 22, 2020
[quote author=brabus post=38575616][/quote]Quite informing. I had intention of doing parapets before, but looking at it cost with my income, it's totally uncalled for.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Building A Shopping Mall / Man Burnt To Death In Fire Incident In Benin City (Video) / Police Demolish 500 Houses In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.