Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,445 members, 7,823,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

Towards Achieving Financial Independence! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! (14955 Views)

6 Ways To Achieve Financial Independence / 7 Steps Towards Achieving Your Dream / The Fashola Guide To Achieving Massive Career Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 01, 2015
Good afternoon, and happy Independence Day, my fellow Nigerians. The celebrations are encouraging from my axis here in PH. The kids in my neighbourhood are in the flag colours.

Please, allow me use this day of Independence as an opportunity to talk about our journey towards financial independence. Without financial independence, almost all other forms of independence will have very little meaning. Money is so important; we spend a sizeable time of our lives seeking money, but often times we lavish that hard earned cash with little or no prudence at all.

Months ago, I created a thread where I discussed certain financial errors that wasted almost all my first five years of work. The comments following that thread were so encouraging, and I determined to never make those mistakes. Months down the line, I've seen tremendous financial improvement singe I started doing the exact opposite of what brought me financial woes and relationship issues with my woman.

I've witnessed pleasurable and appreciable level of financial stability since I disciplined myself into following certain course of actions. I'm only saddened as to why I didn't start earlier. You can never be too late on starting a very noble cause!

Pay Yourself First. Before now, I would pay myself only after I've paid almost everyone. Now, I've created a separate account and has given a standing instruction to have a certain percentage of my pay sent to that account from source. I simply pay MYSELF first. I work for the money. I'm the one who's exposed to all manner of risks and hazards. Apart from forcing me to learn the saving habit, this system also reduces the amount of money I have to spend on my needs and wants. If you don't have too much money to throw around, you've got to manage what's left.

Living With A Budget. A person without a budget is like a city without walls. Budget, with the appropriate level of discipline, has also tailored my expenditures. Having paid myself first, I'm left with NO option than to live with my budget. It's NOT easy to be financially independent. When you don't have a budget, you have little or no control over your money. Others will simply give you their budget. Others will in fact make budgets on YOUR money. Whoever can't fall into my budget will have to wait till that's possible. I'm done trying to please others.

I've Mastered Saying NO! Gone are the days I hardly said NO to any demands from people. Now, I've mastered it. You can't be a GOOD MAN and be rich. People will criticise and call you names when you stick to your financial plans. They can only call you names; they can't take away the money from you. I still give but I do that within the confines of prudence and wisdom. All those who tried to be good men during my childhood days ended up being broke and miserable. Balance is key shaa! But I will never give away my money because I want to be tagged a good man! Never again.

Living Below My Means. I'm not saying much here. It's one of the oldest rules of financial accumulation. I've trimmed my expenditures as to reflect this point. I can't continue living large and foolish just to appear BIG BOY to people that won't be there when the worst happens. I'm the driver and captain of MY life. I'm responsible for this single life of mine. I've stopped pleasing people. It's the only way I could guarantee success.

Other Sources Of Income. No man ever became really financially great having ONLY ONE source of income! I've learned and taken some online courses on investment. That's what the second account I created is actually meant for. Money shouldn't be idle. I'm more interested in making other sources of income.

Building Wealth Takes Time. There no gainsaying the fact I'm still years away from being financially independent, but it's process that has already started. No man ever built wealth over night; if in doubt ask Bill Gates, Carlos Slim, Bishop Oyedepo, Mark Zuckerberg, Aliko Dangote, etc; only thieves and looters can achieve such an unnatural feat! LOL! It takes years, even decades to build lasting wealth. I won't build in a day what Dangote built in decades, but he also started very small. As far as the determination and zeal are intact, it's very much a question of time.

I smile whenever I think of the steps I'm taking to secure my financial future. It's now very clear that it's more of what you do with your me on than HOW MUCH you earn. Parkinsons law says that our expenditures will grow so much as to equal our income. To be wealthy, one must refuse to be a victim of that law.

The future is here. You're here TODAY as a result of the decisions and choices you made YESTERDAY. Where we shall be TOMORROW is a function of the decisions and choices we make TODAY.

Lalasticlala, happy Independence Day!

73 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Sylver247: 12:13am On Oct 02, 2015
Nice One. The season of trying to keep up with the jonses is here. people will spend their future for a one day celebration.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by hahn(m): 12:46am On Oct 02, 2015
Nice one

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 2:45am On Oct 02, 2015
Sylver247:
Nice One. The season of trying to keep up with the jonses is here. people will spend their future for a one day celebration.

Very sad indeed. It appears our society was designed to legally collect our people through its myriads of depressing traditions and beliefs. It took me years to realise when the chips are down, society is nowhere.

I discussed this issue with a like-minded brother yesterday. A lot of us will spend a whole lot on a few days during this period and then start off the new year in debt or a financially tight corner. The cycle never ends on it's own unless we do something about it.

The Joneses are broke; it's pointless keeping up with people that are broke.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by hahn(m): 9:32am On Oct 02, 2015
dearpreye:

Very sad indeed. It appears our society was designed to legally collect our people through its myriads of depressing traditions and beliefs. It took me years to realise when the chips are down, society is nowhere.

I discussed this issue with a like-minded brother yesterday. A lot of us will spend a whole lot on a few days during this period and then start off the new year in debt or a financially tight corner. The cycle never ends on it's own unless we do something about it.

The Joneses are broke; it's pointless keeping up with people that are broke.

@bolded, is very true. Living to please or impress other people is a certain path towards financial worries and an unhappy life.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 02, 2015
hahn:

@bolded, is very true. Living to please or impress other people is a certain path towards financial worries and an unhappy life.

That's the way it is. You're absolutely correct.
Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by BobUg28(m): 7:53am On Oct 08, 2015
Good one depreye.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 9:17am On Oct 09, 2015
dearpreye:

That's the way it is. You're absolutely correct.

Preye, abeg dash me 5k first na before you tighten your fist any further no be joke I dey ooo.

I am serious and will be eagerly awaiting your response

2 Likes

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 09, 2015
sihom:

Preye, abeg dash me 5k first na before you tighten your fist any further no be joke I dey ooo.

I am serious and will be eagerly awaiting your response

Hmmmm!
Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 09, 2015
dearpreye:

Hmmmm!

Lol, are you going to help a broke sista out or not?
Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 09, 2015
sihom:

Lol, are you going to help a broke sista out or not?

Why are you broke in the first place?

1 Like

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 09, 2015
dearpreye:

Why are you broke in the first place?

Lol, I'm not broke I was just messing around with you on your thread.

It's a really slow day at work I got in very early and I've wrapped up all my pending tasks.

But no one has ever turned down a cash gift if it's not a bribe

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 10:24am On Oct 09, 2015
sihom:

Lol, I'm not broke I was just messing around with you on your thread.

It's a really slow day at work I got in very early and I've wrapped up all my pending tasks.

But no one has ever turned down a cash gift if it's not a bribe

Of course I knew. Work is good. More than anything else, it gives us dignity.
Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 09, 2015
dearpreye:

Of course I knew. Work is good. More than anything else, it gives us dignity.

You knew I was messing around? Preye don't lie ooo talk true - you didn't know that till I mentioned it.

Please I'm looking for a thread I came across a long time ago it's for personal assistants & secretaries i.e folks who work in that role or capacity. How do I track it?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 09, 2015
sihom:

You knew I was messing around? Preye don't lie ooo talk true - you didn't know that till I mentioned it.

Please I'm looking for a thread I came across a long time ago it's for personal assistants & secretaries i.e folks who work in that role or capacity. How do I track it?

I knew you were cos it's hard to see folks openly ask monetary gifts here....maybe through PMs but hardly openly.

I don't know how to track it but try to find out if you followed the thread or commented on it....Lemme try...

1 Like

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 11:18am On Oct 09, 2015
dearpreye:

I knew you were cos it's hard to see folks openly ask monetary gifts here....maybe through PMs but hardly openly.

I don't know how to track it but try to find out if you followed the thread or commented on it....Lemme try...

Hi I found the thread I was looking for thanks for trying.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 09, 2015
dearpreye:

Work is good. More than anything else, it gives us dignity.

Preye, based on your words above let me trouble you. I am eager to help a good friend land a good job or great working opportunity before the year runs out.

She's been a fair & foul weather friend through the years so please if you have information on worthwhile opportunities kindly holla at me.

She's been active in helping herself out so this is not a case of a lazy man waiting for the world to hand her things.

She's the reason I was looking for that PA/Secretaries thread earlier.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 09, 2015
undecided
Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by NJPot(m): 4:58pm On Oct 09, 2015
nice one

1 Like

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by plexond(m): 4:58pm On Oct 09, 2015
Okk
Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by kennyman2000(m): 4:58pm On Oct 09, 2015
Its dearpreye again.. Nice one boss..
Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 09, 2015
[s]
Euro31:
Tell that to the Yoruba parasites ... Feeding on our oil money undecided
[/s]

Your father is the parasite. As a matter of fact he deserves to be killed for giving birth to you

5 Likes

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by vickjohn(m): 4:59pm On Oct 09, 2015
is this news current?
Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 09, 2015
Brain is needed to handle demands from people dear to you tho

1 Like

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by emmanuel596(m): 4:59pm On Oct 09, 2015
Who and who are in dis journey
Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Nobody: 5:00pm On Oct 09, 2015
kaakulator3:
[s][/s]

Your father is the parasite. As a matter of fact he deserves to be killed for giving birth to you

THANKS FOR KILLING THAT YEEBOE MAGGOT

3 Likes

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by Raxxye(m): 5:00pm On Oct 09, 2015
Nice one!
Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by mascot87(m): 5:00pm On Oct 09, 2015
Euro31:
Tell that to the Yoruba parasites ... Feeding on our oil money undecided

You are a foool

6 Likes

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by naijainfogalery: 5:01pm On Oct 09, 2015
Wow this is like the best post ive ever seen on nairaland. Financial freedom starts from the mind

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Towards Achieving Financial Independence! by osewanu(m): 5:02pm On Oct 09, 2015
Remove Oyedepo from that list

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Itel Takes S24 Smartphone To Nigerian Campuses With MTN,Imagine Cinemas & Google / Positive Thoughts To Help You Achieve Your Goals / Computer Science: A Good Course Or Not?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.