Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,911 members, 7,817,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? (31903 Views)

Why Don't Camera Men Fall Under The Anointing? / You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) / Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 9:18pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

By the way, this is what I said right at the beginning when quoting Einstein.

Einstein was not an atheist, explaining at one point: "I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal god is a childlike one. You [size=18pt]may[/size] call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."[1] According to Prince Hubertus, Einstein said,[size=18pt] "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views.[/size]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Albert_Einstein#Agnosticism.2C_deism.2C_and_atheism

A genius indeed!
This doesn't mean he believes in god, you siad he does, or am I mistaken?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by tayotemowo(m): 9:20pm On Oct 04, 2015
Have you guys seen the movie titled "God's not dead"? I think a lot of your questions will be answered after watching that movie. Infact the more I follow this thread the more it seems to me that the person that started it must just recently have watched that movie. If you haven't seen it then please do you'll be blessed by what people have gone thru to make them decide that God doesn't exist. You will be blessed in JESUS mighty name.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 9:23pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

An agnostic doesn't deny the existence of God.

I believe in God and I also consider myself to be an agnostic according to the following definition:

"a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/agnostic

I believe in God so I am a believer but I don't know if God exists so I am an agnostic.

Knowledge and faith are two very different things. Don't get it twisted.
Lol.

So then you believe that 'god' is limited to experience or that you don't know?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
This doesn't mean he believes in god, you siad he does, or am I mistaken?

This is exactly what it means.

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."

He states that there are people (there are yet people) who do not believe in God despite the harmony of the cosmos. And he doesn't want to be associated with them. Please do him this favor. cheesy

Since you don't enjoy careful reading and reading between the lines, let me quote a less ambiguous statement.

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings."
(Albert Einstein, responding to Rabbi Herbert Goldstein who had sent Einstein a cablegram bluntly demanding "Do you believe in God?" Quoted from Victor J. Stenger, Has Science Found God? 2001, chapter 3.)

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
Lol.

Read this again please. This time carefully.

agnostic

"a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience."

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
Lol.

The first part of your question doesn't make sense to me.

As for the second part:

Yes! I don't KNOW.
Nobody does!
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 9:45pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

This is exactly what it means.

"In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."

He states that there are people (there are yet people) who do not believe in God despite the harmony of the cosmos. And he doesn't want to be associated with them. Please do him this favor. cheesy

Since you don't enjoy careful reading and reading between the lines, let me quote a less ambiguous statement.

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings."
(Albert Einstein, responding to Rabbi Herbert Goldstein who had sent Einstein a cablegram bluntly demanding "Do you believe in God?" Quoted from Victor J. Stenger, Has Science Found God? 2001, chapter 3.)
Hahaha, you are funny.cheesy
I totally get what you are about, so slow your row there for a minute.

I didn't remember him believing in spinozaism, just knew he was agnostic.

Anyways though, you do know that when people talk about him not believing in god, they do so because he doesn't believe in the basic different concept of gods, especially the abrahamic ones, right?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
Hahaha, you are funny.cheesy
I totally get what you are about, so slow your row there for a minute.

I didn't remember him believing in spinozaism, just knew he was agnostic.

Anyways though, you do know that when people talk about him not believing in god, they do so because he doesn't believe in the basic different concept of gods, especially the abrahamic ones, right?

No, often times they don't. This is what got him angry in the past and this is where people often times err today. There is even a picture in the original post with him and the heading atheism below his picture.

I read some of your posts in the religious section today, where does all this anger come from?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 9:51pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

The first part of your question doesn't make sense to me.
As for the second part:
Yes! I don't KNOW.
Nobody does!
Mindfulness:

Read this again please. This time carefully.

agnostic

Relax for a bit, why are you quoting/replying one post twice?

I get that, I'm agnostic atheist too, so I understand what you are saying.

The first part of the question you don't understand is asking if you have any experience of god?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
Relax for a bit, why are you quoting/replying one post twice?

I get that, I'm agnostic atheist too, so I understand what you are saying.

The first part of the question you don't understand is asking if you have any experience of god?

Sorry, it happened by accident. Ok, let me relax some more. cheesy

Yes, I have experience of God. You don't?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 9:55pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

No, often times they don't. This is what got him angry in the past and this is where people often times err today. There is even a picture in the original post with him and the heading atheism below his picture.

I read some of your posts in the religious section today, where does all this anger come from?
Believe me, it's not really what it looks like, I do get angry but not at god, it's more at the people who perpetrate the idea of the god of the bible and sometimes it's just plain 'ol me trolling.grin
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 9:56pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

Sorry, it happened by accident. Ok, let me relax some more. cheesy

Yes, I have experience of God. You don't?
Lol, that's cool.

I'm not convinced I do.cheesy
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
Believe me, it's not really what it looks like, I do get angry but not at god, it's more at the people who perpetrate the idea of the god of the bible and sometimes it's just plain 'ol me trolling.grin

I trust you on this because I was actually thinking that you sure know better than this but I also understand where you are coming from. It's when people try to impose their ideas on you.

I am sure we will have an interesting exchange of our PERSONAL views, which are just opinions, not the absolute truth. wink
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
Lol, that's cool.

I'm not convinced I do.cheesy

You are not convinced you do but there is something that makes you think you MIGHT have it. What is it?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

Albert Einstein was born in Ulm, in the Kingdom of Württemberg in the German Empire on 14 March 1879.[15] His parents were Hermann Einstein, a salesman and engineer, and Pauline Koch. In 1880, the family moved to Munich, where his father and his uncle founded Elektrotechnische Fabrik J. Einstein & Cie, a company that manufactured electrical equipment based on direct current.

The Einsteins were non-observant Ashkenazi Jews. Albert attended a Catholic elementary school from the age of 5 for three years. At the age of 8, he was transferred to the Luitpold Gymnasium (now known as the Albert Einstein Gymnasium), where he received advanced primary and secondary school education until he left Germany seven years later.

(...)

In April 1933, he also discovered that the new German government had passed laws barring Jews from holding any official positions, including teaching at universities.[67] Historian Gerald Holton describes how, with "virtually no audible protest being raised by their colleagues," thousands of Jewish scientists were suddenly forced to give up their university positions and their names were removed from the rolls of institutions where they were employed.[57]

A month later, Einstein's works were among those targeted by Nazi book burnings, with Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels proclaiming, "Jewish intellectualism is dead."[67] One German magazine included him in a list of enemies of the German regime with the phrase, "not yet hanged", offering a $5,000 bounty on his head

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein#Refugee_status

They were German Jews!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_family
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Oct 04, 2015
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by RiloKiley: 10:12pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:

But why do you get angry at these people? What have they done to you?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 10:14pm On Oct 04, 2015
Mindfulness:

You are not convinced you do but there is something that makes you think you MIGHT have it. What is it?
the point is, I don't really think I might have it.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:

Ok.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 10:15pm On Oct 04, 2015
RiloKiley:

But why do you get angry at these people? What have they done to you?
They are spreading the idea of a hate filled god that hates/belittles women and, infact is a monster, that can't be healthy, heck! It shouldn't even be legal.grinangry

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by RiloKiley: 10:19pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
They are spreading the idea of a hate filled god that hates/belittles women and, infact is a monster, that can't be healthy, heck! It shouldn't even be legal.grinangry
The people spreading the idea of a hate-filled God are not true christians or at best shallow. True Christianity is deeper than that. True Christianity speaks of love for your fellow man and woman, of showing kindness to those around you, of doing good and shunning evil.

John 13:34-35

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:

Yes or No, please. smiley
For an atheist, your emotional investment in this God debate is worrying. Frankly, you seem like you might tip over to the other side any moment.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Oct 04, 2015
Omotolu:
...people die. Disaster happens every sec. That does not imply God endorsed negativity. Richard Dawkings is a mere human like you and I,it does not imply his opinion is supreme. We all have heart-burns, it does not mean God does not exist or does not exist. Buddy, I wish God can speak for himself about His existence.

keep wishing
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 11:03pm On Oct 04, 2015
BoboYekini:
We aren't supposed to be talking.

It's not a yes or no, question.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Oct 04, 2015
seriously it should be illegal to believe in a god that kills children. I find it unjustifiable and disturbing.

all i've learnt here today is truely most theists don't actually think critically about the world, all they do is fabricate stories and tell themselves that god exists.

like the gentleman telling me fossil evidence is not proof for evolution, whereas fossil evidence is the greatest evidence for evolution.

oh well, you can keep believing in whatever you were told by society and not think for yourselves - i'm really not concerned.

i take comfort in knowing that when the world finally wakes up religion will be declared illegal

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Oct 04, 2015
freecocoa:
We aren't supposed to be talking.
It's not a yes or no, question.
Modified.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 04, 2015
Joshuabase:

i take comfort in knowing that when the world finally wakes up religion will be declared illegal
Maybe not. But I forsee a world where belief in a God or otherwise would be a fundamental test of I.Q. At least for a career in STEM.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by freecocoa(f): 12:23am On Oct 05, 2015
BoboYekini:
For an atheist, your emotional investment in this God debate is worrying. Frankly, you seem like you might tip over to the other side any moment.
Lol, then you have the wrong idea about me, I just only wished people will learn to use their brains more.

We are all different kinds of people, afterall.
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 12:41am On Oct 05, 2015
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by menesheh(m): 2:01am On Oct 05, 2015
AnnieOakley:

It goes back to the question: Why don't scientists believe in God, the true God?

Which one is the true god amongst all god claims?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by Nobody: 6:40am On Oct 05, 2015
menesheh:

Which one is the true god amongst all god claims?

What do you know about the Law of First Mention?

Which of them (gods) laid claim to being the true God first?
Re: Why Don't Scientists Believe In God? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:07am On Oct 05, 2015
Mindfulness:

I believe that I will be a billionaire one day. Can I be sure I will?

I believe that I will wake up tomorrow and do what I have to do. Can I be sure that I won't die tonight?

Whether it makes sense to you or not, I tell you, I believe that God exists but I am not sure.

Lol

You are talking about the future - "will be " - try using it in present and see if you make any sense cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Reasons Why You Should Not Think Of Sex At Your Youthful Age (fornication) / ‘His Holiness’, Rev. King Can’t Die — Church Members / Ten Things You May Not Know About Prophet Odumeje

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.