Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) (7491 Views)

Lords Chosen Testimonies: Highway Robber Saved By God (Video, Photos) / 2019 Election Prophecies: Prophet Jeremiah Fufeyin Cautions Men Of God (Video) / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome To Give $100m To God (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by Seun(m): 12:09am On Oct 21, 2016
It bothers me when I see religious people making fools of themselves by trying to disprove evolution, because they perceive a conflict between their religious views and the scientific theory. You should know that many Christians and Muslims in developed countries accept evolution as a fact. They believe that God created everything but evolution is the tool that God used to do the work. They see Genesis 1 and 2 as parables that aim to communicate spiritual truths about God's pre-eminence rather than a literal account of how the universe was created.

Theistic evolution, theistic evolutionism, or evolutionary creationism are views that regard religious teachings about God as compatible with modern scientific understanding about biological evolution. Supporters of theistic evolution generally harmonize evolutionary thought with belief in God, rejecting the conflict thesis regarding the relationship between religion and science – they hold that religious teachings about creation and scientific theories of evolution need not contradict each other.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evolution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOPJXCDsMLI

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by Aiholi(m): 12:33am On Oct 21, 2016
how did you come about?
Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by finalboss(m): 12:35am On Oct 21, 2016
hmmm.. observing,before i type
Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by Charlesdock(m): 12:39am On Oct 21, 2016
*grabs a seat* let the comments start rolling
Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by VictorRomanov: 1:20am On Oct 21, 2016
Is evolution a proven scientific fact or still a theory? It's called THEORY of evolution for a reason

2 Likes

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by NPComplete: 3:47am On Oct 21, 2016
VictorRomanov:
Is evolution a proven scientific fact or still a theory? It's called THEORY of evolution for a reason
SMH. This ur statement has been corrected so many times. Google is ur friend.

6 Likes

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by donnffd(m): 5:32am On Oct 21, 2016
Many Nigerian theists are very backward sorry to say...they come up here and argue blindly with confidence that evolution is wrong, something that would be extremely laughed at in the developed world. Sincerely our backwardness and lack of ability to learn and adapt is killing us and our intellectuals.

Some come with the notion of "its just a theory", So is the Gravitational theory(the general theory of relativity), but i dont see anybody jumping up of a building because its just a "theory"!

VictorRomanov:

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by Edenoscar(m): 5:39am On Oct 21, 2016
donnffd:
Many Nigerian theists are very backward sorry to say...they come up here and argue blindly with confidence that evolution is wrong, something that would be extremely laughed at in the developed world. Sincerely our backwardness and lack of ability to learn and adapt is killing us and our intellectuals.

Some come with the notion of "its just a theory", So is the Gravitational theory(the general theory of relativity), but i dont see anybody jumping up of a building because its just a "theory"!

its only when it comes to evolution they scream 'it just a theory'
ignorance can be cured

5 Likes

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by Edenoscar(m): 5:49am On Oct 21, 2016
A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed, preferably using a written, pre-defined, protocol of observations and experiments. Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge.
By wikipedia

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by ritababe(f): 6:10am On Oct 21, 2016
ok
Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by VictorRomanov: 6:48am On Oct 21, 2016
donnffd:

My brother it is called Law of Universal Gravitation. Not a theory. Besides the strongest cases against evolution are made by scientist in the so called developed world, not in africa.

My brother you should take some time to read. I believe atheist pride themselves in it.

1 Like

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by VictorRomanov: 6:51am On Oct 21, 2016
NPComplete:

SMH. This ur statement has been corrected so many times. Google is ur friend.

If I paste my research from google supporting this, this space wouldnt contain us both.
Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by Flexherbal(m): 6:59am On Oct 21, 2016
There are some things that passes human understanding. I am speechless!
Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by donnffd(m): 7:20am On Oct 21, 2016
VictorRomanov:

My brother it is called Law of Universal Gravitation. Not a theory. Besides the strongest cases against evolution are made by scientist in the so called developed world, not in africa.

My brother you should take some time to read. I believe atheist pride themselves in it.

I think you should take your own advice, this is exactly my point, school is not for teaching, it is for training, training you to be able to search, acquire and organize information.

Isaac newton profounded his law of gravity some 400years ago, but it was incomplete, he explained how it works and not what it is.

Albert Einstein changed that about 100years ago by putting forward the "THEORY" of General Relativity. This is the most indepth and well explained description of Gravity that we have to date. Newton wasn't wrong he was just incomplete, Einstein extended the knowledge.

These are things you would know if you knew what you are talking about.

I wont argue with you whether evolution is true or not, lost hope for the future of Africa with people who say things like that, just one amazing thing about science, it is true whether you believe it or not.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by akintom(m): 7:32am On Oct 21, 2016
Seun:
It bothers me when I see religious people making fools of themselves by trying to disprove evolution, because they perceive a conflict between their religious views and the scientific theory. You should know that many Christians and Muslims in developed countries accept evolution as a fact. They believe that God created everything but evolution is the tool that God used to do the work. They see Genesis 1 and 2 as parables that aim to communicate spiritual truths about God's pre-eminence rather than a literal account of how the universe was created.

Theistic evolution, theistic evolutionism, or evolutionary creationism are views that regard religious teachings about God as compatible with modern scientific understanding about biological evolution. Theistic evolution is not a scientific theory, but a range of views about how the science of general evolution relates to religious beliefs in contrast to special creation views.

Supporters of theistic evolution generally harmonize evolutionary thought with belief in God, rejecting the conflict thesis regarding the relationship between religion and science – they hold that religious teachings about creation and scientific theories of evolution need not contradict each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evolution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOPJXCDsMLI

Two major factors that gave religious beliefs prominence are primitive existence of human and state patronage of religion.

With global civilization and increasing secularity of states across the globe, religion is gradually becoming what it really is - legendary and mythological stories.

In Nigeria today, though the percentage of those who subscribe to religious beliefs hovers around 98%, but those who REALLY believe and ready to die for their beliefs are less than 50% - Hypocrisy is what obtains now.

4 Likes

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by yorhmienerd(m): 7:37am On Oct 21, 2016
Atheist really want to justify their belief

1 Like

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by VictorRomanov: 7:38am On Oct 21, 2016
donnffd:

I think you should take your own advice, this is exactly my point, school is not for teaching, it is for training, training you to be able to search, acquire and organize information.

Isaac newton profounded his law of gravity some 400years ago, but it was incomplete, he explained how it works and not what it is.

Albert Einstein changed that about 100years ago by putting forward the "THEORY" of General Relativity. This is the most indepth and well explained description of Gravity that we have to date. Newton wasn't wrong he was just incomplete, Einstein extended the knowledge.

These are things you would know if you knew what you are talking about.

I wont argue with you whether evolution is true or not, lost hope for the future of Africa with people who say things like that, just one amazing thing about science, it is true whether you believe it or not.

Newton's law wasn't dispproved. It was only extended.

Evolution on the other hand hasn't been proved. Usually, for a theory to be accepted, it has to be tested many times over and would always hold true any all cases. It could be re-produced with controlled conditions with the principles of the theory. In the case of evolution, scientist considered it to be a law, before looking for theories to explain it. Which isn't the usually process.

Like I mentioned earlier, strongest arguments against evolution don't even emanate from africa. So don't bring the backwardness of africa into this. Make ur point with superior logic and arguments.

Amongst scientist, there are arguments and disagreements regard fossil records, missing links, big band theory and the theory of natural selection.

2 Likes

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by Temolad: 7:40am On Oct 21, 2016
Just passing though!
Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by jonbellion(m): 7:46am On Oct 21, 2016
VictorRomanov:
*facepalm* for the umpteenth time a scientific theory isn't the same as a the lame man theory a scientific theory is what has been concluded after various observations and experiments for its validity.
-cell theory
-heliocentric theory
-germ theory
-theory of relativity AKA GRAVITY!!!!!!!!

6 Likes

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by donnffd(m): 9:25am On Oct 21, 2016
VictorRomanov:

Newton's law wasn't dispproved. It was only extended.

Evolution on the other hand hasn't been proved. Usually, for a theory to be accepted, it has to be tested many times over and would always hold true any all cases. It could be re-produced with controlled conditions with the principles of the theory. In the case of evolution, scientist considered it to be a law, before looking for theories to explain it. Which isn't the usually process.

Like I mentioned earlier, strongest arguments against evolution don't even emanate from africa. So don't bring the backwardness of africa into this. Make ur point with superior logic and arguments.

Amongst scientist, there are arguments and disagreements regard fossil records, missing links, big band theory and the theory of natural selection.

You understand little about the scientific process from what i can gather...

I would try to give you a description of what you are trying to say;

A scientific theory is NOT a wild guess. It must be consistent with known experimental results and it must have predictive power. As new knowledge is gained, theories are refined to better explain the data. A law is a mathematical relationship that is consistently found to be true.

So you see, no amount of proving can turn a theory to a law. Infact theories are not disproved, they become obsolete or refined, i would give you some examples...

1. 2000years ago the predominant theory is that the earth was the center of the universe and the sun and moon revolves around it, at that present time, the theory was correct because it explained all the known facts and data until new data surfaced, then it became obsolete, New theories grew in its stead like the heliocentric theory(where the earth revolves around the sun), presently the heliocentric theory is so concrete that nothing seems to shake it off

2. We have already discussed Gravity, General relativity explains all the facts of Gravity.

3. The theory of Natural Selection is what you have issues with but the fact of the matter is Evolution occurs, its is a fact, a child organism is different from the parent organism, Now aim is to explain how organisms fit into their environment so well, and 150years ago, two theories came onboard to explain it;

The theory of evolution by use and disuse: this was profounded by Jean-Baptiste Lamarck, i cant go into the details, but after the discover of heredity, Lamarck's theory became obsolete and obviously could not have been the main driver for the diversity of living things.

References : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamarckism

The theory of evolution by natural selection(i am sure you know about it): this was the crown jewel of biology, the "ha ha" moment and it survives to this day after 150 years of scientific discoveries and breakthroughs. it has passed every single test thrown at it that it is as concrete as the heliocentric theory.

References: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection

The truth is anybody who disagrees with it either doesnt know much about it or doesnt want to know anything about it, either ways it would be advisable to sit down, clear your mind from all biases, and really study it. you would be amazed at the elegance and its predictive power, and you would understand that it wasnt a conspiracy, rather it is the truth.

NB: Many religious people accepts evolution, even the catholic church as said God used evolution to create living things, are these people somehow less religious than you are?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by GRIMMJOE(m): 9:39am On Oct 21, 2016
The funny thing is that God created the earth in Aprox a week but,

later had to created rain when he wanted to flood the earth.

And science has proved this to be wrong. Because as long as God created the Sun and Water body,rain will naturally occur through evapration

3 Likes

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by Dannyset(m): 10:34am On Oct 21, 2016
Seun is gradually getting there. At the end of it all, you will agree that there is God.

1 Like

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by toby2(m): 10:44am On Oct 21, 2016
What I kinda think towards this is that, evolution kinda improves on the already created things, makes us adapt to our environments, I kinds disagree that everything that we see came into existence by pure evolution. MyObserveThough
Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by GRIMMJOE(m): 10:53am On Oct 21, 2016
Dannyset:
Seun is gradually getting there. At the end of it all, you will agree that there is God.
You see some one creating traffic
Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by Dannyset(m): 11:12am On Oct 21, 2016
GRIMMJOE:
You see some one creating traffic
Maybe or maybe not.
Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by tartar9(m): 4:47pm On Oct 21, 2016
donnffd:

You understand little about the scientific process from what i can gather...

I would try to give you a description of what you are trying to say;

A scientific theory is NOT a wild guess. It must be consistent with known experimental results and it must have predictive power. As new knowledge is gained, theories are refined to better explain the data. A law is a mathematical relationship that is consistently found to be true.

So you see, no amount of proving can turn a theory to a law. Infact theories are not disproved, they become obsolete or refined, i would give you some examples...

1. 2000years ago the predominant theory is that the earth was the center of the universe and the sun and moon revolves around it, at that present time, the theory was correct because it explained all the known facts and data until new data surfaced, then it became obsolete, New theories grew in its stead like the heliocentric theory(where the earth revolves around the sun), presently the heliocentric theory is so concrete that nothing seems to shake it off

2. We have already discussed Gravity, General relativity explains all the facts of Gravity.

3. The theory of Natural Selection is what you have issues with but the fact of the matter is Evolution occurs, its is a fact, a child organism is different from the parent organism, Now aim is to explain how organisms fit into their environment so well, and 150years ago, two theories came onboard to explain it;

The theory of evolution by use and disuse: this was profounded by Jean-Baptiste Lamarck, i cant go into the details, but after the discover of heredity, Lamarck's theory became obsolete and obviously could not have been the main driver for the diversity of living things.

References : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamarckism

The theory of evolution by natural selection(i am sure you know about it): this was the crown jewel of biology, the "ha ha" moment and it survives to this day after 150 years of scientific discoveries and breakthroughs. it has passed every single test thrown at it that it is as concrete as the heliocentric theory.

References: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection

The truth is anybody who disagrees with it either doesnt know much about it or doesnt want to know anything about it, either ways it would be advisable to sit down, clear your mind from all biases, and really study it. you would be amazed at the elegance and its predictive power, and you would understand that it wasnt a conspiracy, rather it is the truth.

NB: Many religious people accepts evolution, even the catholic church as said God used evolution to create living things, are these people somehow less religious than you are?

But its still a theory,which could just be wrong undecided
Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by donnffd(m): 5:56pm On Oct 21, 2016
tartar9:

Just the same way the heliocentric theory(that the earth revolves around the sun) could also be wrong because its just a theory...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by plaetton: 6:36pm On Oct 21, 2016
VictorRomanov:

The law of universal gravitation is a theory, just like the germ theory and the theory of evolution.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by Seun(m): 6:51pm On Oct 21, 2016
tartar9:
Every thing in science could be wrong, but this has nothing to do with the word "theory". The scientific meaning of "theory" is different from what you think. The thing about evolution is that scientists have been studying it for 147 years. 147 years!! Many religious scientists have been trying to disprove it in all that time, and they have achieved nothing but woeful failure. Instead of disproving it, we've gotten more and more evidence supporting it. Any theory that remains standing after facing so much hostile scrutiny for so long, must be very close to an absolute fact. Imagine a boxer who has been fighting tough opponents for decades and remains undefeated. Would you doubt that he's the strongest?

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by Damilolababy(f): 7:17pm On Oct 21, 2016
Seun:

Every thing in science could be wrong, but this has nothing to do with the word "theory". The scientific meaning of "theory" is different from what you think. The thing about evolution is that scientists have been studying it for 147 years. 147 years!! Many religious scientists have been trying to disprove it in all that time, and they have achieved nothing but woeful failure. Instead of disproving it, we've gotten more and more evidence supporting it. Any theory that remains standing after facing so much hostile scrutiny for so long, must be very close to an absolute fact. Imagine a boxer who has been fighting tough opponents for decades and remains undefeated. Would you doubt that he's the strongest?
I love nairaland alot... thank you seun for creating dis forum.. I learn a lot from it.....thank you so so much.. am a great fan

1 Like

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by taurus25(m): 8:54pm On Oct 21, 2016
better put "You can believe in God and still accept the evolution theory". Evolution is a fact. you either accept or reject it, you dont BELIEVE in it.

1 Like

Re: You Can Accept Evolution And Still Believe In God (Video) by toby2(m): 12:07am On Oct 22, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Thanking God For Last Sunday Of 2020! / The Prosperity Gospel Ruined My Life / What Does God Command About Restitution And Reconciliation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.