Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,038 members, 7,821,576 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! (7857 Views)

Blown Head Gasket: Detailed Explanation / Tips To Note When A Car Overheats / Doubling The Engine Gasket, What's Your Take? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 01, 2015
Hey folks. I'm back again. My camry 2007 has been running fine after I changed thhe head gasket but I noticed that it overheats after sometime. undecided
Now my mech says It's that I need a new Cylinder head/engine block. I want to take my car to another mechanic for confirmation. What do u tink guys? He suggested I buy a skeletal engine without alternator, kick start, radiator etc
I just changed my radiator to double cell still same. It overheats after I speed for like 30mins on the highway. Please your responses are welcome.
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by kolnel: 11:01pm On Oct 01, 2015
From experience I think the head cylinder is warped because of the over heating
You might be better off with another engine
Good luck
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by honmusa(m): 11:31pm On Oct 01, 2015
obitee69:
Hey folks. I'm back again. My camry 2007 has been running fine after I changed thhe head gasket but I noticed that it overheats after sometime. undecided
Now my mech says It's that I need a new Cylinder head/engine block. I want to take my car to another mechanic for confirmation. What do u tink guys? He suggested I buy a skeletal engine without alternator, kick start, radiator etc
I just changed my radiator to double cell still same. It overheats after I speed for like 30mins on the highway. Please your responses are welcome.
Your mechanic might have probably raised your engine compression ratio unnecessary by grinding away some cylinder metal or using too a thin gasket compared to the one previously there .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by ruke84(m): 6:23am On Oct 02, 2015
You may have air in your coolant.

1 Like

Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Nobody: 7:20am On Oct 02, 2015
honmusa:

Your mechanic might have probably raised your engine compression ratio unnecessary by grinding away some cylinder metal or using too a thin gasket compared to the one previously there .

Yes he told me he was going to grind the cylinder. What ddoes that mean and how does it affect the car
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:33am On Oct 02, 2015
obitee69:

Get a new head cylinder (toks) I'm sure I have one for sale.

Actually a whole engine (skeletal) is a better option.
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Nobody: 8:05am On Oct 02, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Get a new head cylinder (toks) I'm sure I have one for sale.

Actually a whole engine (skeletal) is a better option.

How much does the cylinder cost? Also will the engine back to normal? Skeletal will be pricy
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Nobody: 10:44am On Oct 02, 2015
when Siena was advising you, you were giving a blind eye to his comments... Now see.. Penny Wise
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 02, 2015
Bossforeva:
when Siena was advising you, you were giving a blind eye to his comments... Now see.. Penny Wise

Oga did I argue with him? Or rebuff his comments? Pls I need feasible solution at this point.
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Nobody: 12:38pm On Oct 02, 2015
obitee69:

Oga did I argue with him? Or rebuff his comments? Pls I need feasible solution at this point.
you will get solutions, just that the snob then was somehow. i felt it but didn't want to comment.
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:56pm On Oct 02, 2015
obitee69:

How much does the cylinder cost? Also will the engine back to normal? Skeletal will be pricy

Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by chukel(m): 8:42pm On Oct 02, 2015
obitee69:

the problem is just that u want people to tell u what u want to hear. I don't think you need solution yet. Y didn't u continue with the old thread?
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by sultaan(m): 1:51am On Oct 03, 2015
obitee69:

The only problem I see here is you are driving a Toyota not Ford grin

You changed radiator without really knowing what is causing the over heat only those who can physically look at the car can truly help now it is no longer a factory spec

1 Like

Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by IdaraCHODB(m): 3:40am On Oct 03, 2015
Restore your car to last known good configuration by:

1. getting a new engine (tokunbo) installed by someone who knows his left from his right example GAZZUZZ - preferred

2. get the current engine fixed by someone who knows his left from his right example GAZZUZZ - less preferred but if you go to the right person, your car will reset to factory configuration

As it stands you don't have a reliable ride, I would be scared of even using it for town runs not to talk of long journeys.

So many factors can cause a vehicle to overheat, and so if you do not fully appreciate and understand the operation of vehicle cooling systems in general and of your model in particular, then replacing parts will-nilly is at best a stab in the dark and will further compound the commotion your pocket is already facing!

I will spare you the full details and share just a summary, but I had an engine rebuilt years ago [turns out I was ill-advised to rebuild the engine because the clattering sound I heard was caused by low levels of engine oil plus using the wrong grade of engine oil, all I really needed to do was top up the oil or change the grade, but sometimes you have to make a mistake and learn from it! There was absolutely no need to tear down the engine to replace timing chains as my mechanic then advised me] and it failed because of who I went to who did not try to return it to factory settings by using a factory manual and a torque wrench. The engine took me 800 kilometers away from home, but failed me on the return journey some 450 kilometers away from home, due to broken rocker arms. I got it fixed there after several days of trying to find someone who could be trusted to do the job at great cost.

But I knew that something wasn't right. Matter of fact, the repaired engine seized later on (thankfully in the city I was based in), and I decided there and then that opening and repairing an engine without reference to factory specifications over 4 times was enough for me. I can travel at any time at the drop of a hat so I needed 100 percent reliability, so I threw in the towel, and got a tokunbo engine and followed all best practice on car care/engine car, and I have not had issues!

The ball is really in your court but I can see you have been given extremely good advice without having to pay for it in both the threads you have opened on this issue, I just hope you take a sound decision all things considered

5 Likes

Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by ogawisdom(m): 1:34pm On Oct 03, 2015
obitee69:

Back to square one save up for toks engine n stop running from pillar to Post, shebi we tell u for d other thread say any engine way naija kazeens dey work no
fit last undecided in two yrs wat u will spend to keep dt engine running could ve got a toks one yet u won't enjoy d rebuilt engine
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by chucky234(m): 2:13pm On Oct 03, 2015
Kazeem at it again, hmmm that car life no go ever be the same again. Op take heart oooo
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Nobody: 3:29pm On Oct 03, 2015
I got a car electrician to rewire my fan and put a relay that makes the fan start when I power the engine.

My car hardly overheats for hours especially when I put off the AC. I noticed when the temperature passes half, water goes from the radiator and enters the reservoir then returns when cool. I open the radiator and put a few drops and it's full then I fill up my reservoir. I guess I'll drive it this way and pray for an improvement then save and get a Borale engine(skeletal) later later when my pocket is buoyant.

More suggestions are welcome.
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by vivalaurel(m): 3:52pm On Oct 03, 2015
The poor ride is now fully kazeemized, take heart bro.

4 Likes

Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by nurey(m): 5:28pm On Oct 03, 2015
but confirm first if the gasket is ok, so the engine doesn't stall in an unexpected area. I know how it feels to be helpless and at strangers mercy, it's not an experience I will wish on my enemy.
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by ogawisdom(m): 6:07pm On Oct 03, 2015
[quote author=obitee69 post=38630746]I got a car electrician to rewire my fan and put a relay that makes the fan start when I power the engine.

My car hardly overheats for hours especially when I put off the AC. I noticed when the temperature passes half, water goes from the radiator and enters the reservoir then returns when cool. I open the radiator and put a few drops and it's full then I fill up my reservoir. I guess I'll drive it this way and pray for an improvement then save and get a Borale engine(skeletal) later later when my pocket is buoyant.

Double cell radiator plus fan wire directly wat remains is to tell ur mechanic to remove ur thermostat ie if its not yet removed. Manage it this way n save up for a more permanent solution. 70percent of cars in naija r this way though experts r against it
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by kingreign(m): 6:49pm On Oct 03, 2015
obitee69:
I got a car electrician to rewire my fan and put a relay that makes the fan start when I power the engine.

I just spoke to lomomike, he said I should tell you to buy skeletal engine. All these things you're doing is money is simply putting money into mouth of a whale.
Well, as for me, I'd say follow your heart, if you like allow your mecho to open spareparts plaza on top your head, if your mecho like he should put Lister engine inside the CAMRY.

[size=1pt]no vex sha, but I don speak my own[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 03, 2015
obitee69:

More suggestions? What more advise do you want, that hasn't already been given?

Besides, it's pointless giving you advise or any well-intentioned suggestions, when you simply ignore them, and do EXACTLY what you've been advised against. angry

All subscribers can do is sit back, and watch the drama unfold, as you ruin your car.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 03, 2015
Siena:

More suggestions? What more advise do you want, that hasn't already been given?

Besides, it's pointless giving you advise or any well-intentioned suggestions, when you simply ignore them, and do EXACTLY what you've been advised against. angry

All subscribers can do is sit back, and watch the drama unfold, as you ruin your car.

Excuse me, I'm not begging or soliciting for your advise. There are other well learned folks on this forum that can offer better advice. Mind you I'm not ruining my car. You can as well 'sit back' oga siena. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Nobody: 8:15pm On Oct 03, 2015
lol.. two enemies.
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Nobody: 8:27pm On Oct 03, 2015
obitee69:

Excuse me, I'm not begging or soliciting for your advise. There are other well learned folks on this forum that can offer better advice. Mind you I'm not ruining my car. You can as well 'sit back' oga siena. Cheers

No worries pal, I apologise if my comment offended you.

I wish you all the best in resolving your car's issues.
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Nobody: 8:30pm On Oct 03, 2015
Bossforeva:
lol.. two enemies.

I don't have enemies on Nairaland, Boss. I have extended family. smiley

1 Like

Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 03, 2015
Siena:

I don't have enemies on Nairaland, Boss. I have extended family. smiley
Ok, maybe the guy is taking things way too personal.
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 03, 2015
Siena:

No worries pal, I apologise if my comment offended you.

I wish you all the best in resolving your car's issues.

Thank you.
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 03, 2015
now the chickens are home to roost.

I admire your courage to update recent events notwithstanding the unfortunate turn of events and the fact you've already decided what to do before opening this thread; at least you're getting to understand your car better. For now always keep water in your trunk for regular radiator top-ups, avoid long journeys/heavy traffic (if u can't then carry extra water), use a/c sparingly and save up for a complete engine.

The "skeleton" will keep you going in circles and I'm afraid you've already ordered one.

1 Like

Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by Drgreatone: 9:57pm On Oct 03, 2015
obitee69:

First kingreign and now Siena,the people on your case are surely having a field day wit you and ur car since anyone who tries to help u, u ignore or lambast. #Grabs popcorn and coke to await ow this wud end wit such fine and reliable car
Re: Ops! My Car Now Overheats After Gasket Change! by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:05pm On Oct 03, 2015
I'm impressed with the OP, most guys would have suffered in silence and stopped updating, but this guy says it as it is.

Overheating is not a death sentence on an engine, it could still run perfectly if put together properly, with the right parts.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla Vibrating While Idle. Help!!! / Who Taught You How To Drive? Was The Person Strict / 2007/08 Lexus GS 350 And 2008 Mercedes-benz C300

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.