Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,041 members, 7,821,585 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Why Do We Call Him Jesus If His Name Is Yeshua? - Christianity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do We Call Him Jesus If His Name Is Yeshua? - Christianity (1403 Views)

Mary Worship Jesus, If You Can't Worship Jesus You Shall Go To Hell / Esu Is Yeshua (jesus) - Scholastic Debate By Asar Imhotep / Deluded People Would Call Him Jesus Christ But He Is Just Robert Powell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do We Call Him Jesus If His Name Is Yeshua? - Christianity by WETINUSABI: 12:31am On Oct 03, 2015
It just occurred to me and I did a little google search.
Their is so much power attributed to the name, why modify it from the original.
Yeshua can be very well pronounced by any tongue in any language.
Is there anybody with any explanation for this?
Re: Why Do We Call Him Jesus If His Name Is Yeshua? - Christianity by NiRfreak(m): 12:37am On Oct 03, 2015
I tire for here too o
Re: Why Do We Call Him Jesus If His Name Is Yeshua? - Christianity by Nobody: 12:40am On Oct 03, 2015
**In Simi's voice** I will pay you no attention, toh ba bi mi ni Jamb question o!

Cc ProphetUdeme, FrancisTony and other people more qualified to answer this question!
Re: Why Do We Call Him Jesus If His Name Is Yeshua? - Christianity by johnydon22(m): 1:45am On Oct 03, 2015
Translating the name Yeshua which is an alternate for Yehoshua (yaho-shua -->Yahweh saves in hebrew tongue) directly in English should give you the name Joshua..

Jesus is from the greek translation of yeshua... that gives you Iesous of which then gives the name Jesus in English

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Call Him Jesus If His Name Is Yeshua? - Christianity by Nobody: 2:28am On Oct 03, 2015
I have always wondered this myself.... I really do need answers.....
Re: Why Do We Call Him Jesus If His Name Is Yeshua? - Christianity by Sanchez01: 3:57am On Oct 03, 2015
johnydon22:
Translating the name Yeshua which is an alternate for Yehoshua (yaho-shua -->Yahweh saves in hebrew tongue) directly in English should give you the name Joshua..

Jesus is from the greek translation of yeshua... that gives you Iesous of which then gives the name Jesus in English
Thank God you saved me from the stress of writing out a long epistle... OP here's your answer abeg.

Yehoshua (Greek & Old Testament)
Yeshua (Hebrew & New Testament)
Yeshu (The Galilean pronunciation of Yeshua)
Jesus (English & Contemporary)

Jesus is the English name for the Greek transliteration, Yehoshua. The Hebrew variant, Joshua or Yeshua was widely used among the Hebrews, while Yeshu, though of the Galilean
tongue is also the same as Yehoshua and Yeshua.

Note that "Joshua", "Jeshua", and "Jesus" are really
the same name. That is, the name "Jesus" is a
Latinization of the Aramaic Jeshua or Yeshua, which
is in turn taken from the Hebrew Yehoshua, or
Joshua.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do We Call Him Jesus If His Name Is Yeshua? - Christianity by WETINUSABI: 9:12am On Oct 03, 2015
Sanchez01:

Thank God you saved me from the stress of writing out a long epistle... OP here's your answer abeg.

Yehoshua (Greek & Old Testament)
Yeshua (Hebrew & New Testament)
Yeshu (The Galilean pronunciation of Yeshua)
Jesus (English & Contemporary)

Jesus is the English name for the Greek transliteration, Yehoshua. The Hebrew variant, Joshua or Yeshua was widely used among the Hebrews, while Yeshu, though of the Galilean
tongue is also the same as Yehoshua and Yeshua.

Note that "Joshua", "Jeshua", and "Jesus" are really
the same name. That is, the name "Jesus" is a
Latinization of the Aramaic Jeshua or Yeshua, which
is in turn taken from the Hebrew Yehoshua, or
Joshua.

I feel the translation of the name from its original tongue should have never been tampered with cos of the power in that great name...don't you think?
Re: Why Do We Call Him Jesus If His Name Is Yeshua? - Christianity by Scholar8200(m): 9:17am On Oct 03, 2015
WETINUSABI:

I feel the translation of the name from its original tongue should have never been tampered with cos of the power in that great name...don't you think?
Not really! Just like saying the Books of the Bible should have been maintained in their original Hebrew and Greek (because the Word is exalted more than the Name) and whosoever wants to read must learn and master those languages first.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Call Him Jesus If His Name Is Yeshua? - Christianity by Sanchez01: 11:01am On Oct 03, 2015
WETINUSABI:

It actually doesn't affect it. The name is powerful enough and would manifest if called upon in any language. Just as the Yorubas call Jesu, the Hausas Yesu and so on... It still doesn't change the name. He cuts across all languages and understands us even when we call Him in our native tongue. It's not abused, we converse in English language most times in spiritual gatherings. However, whoever choses to call Yeshua or other transliteration should be encouraged to do so.

Note: Greek, Latin, Aramaic, and Hebrew are not the only languages in the world. I believe there's nothing wrong with describing God or Christ with our native tongue. He would hear and answer still.
Re: Why Do We Call Him Jesus If His Name Is Yeshua? - Christianity by WETINUSABI: 11:17am On Oct 03, 2015
Sanchez01:

It actually doesn't affect it. The name is powerful enough and would manifest if called upon in any language. Just as the Yorubas call Jesu, the Hausas Yesu and so on... It still doesn't change the name. He cuts across all languages and understands us even when we call Him in our native tongue. It's not abused, we converse in English language most times in spiritual gatherings. However, whoever choses to call Yeshua or other transliteration should be encouraged to do so.

Note: Greek, Latin, Aramaic, and Hebrew are not the only languages in the world. I believe there's nothing wrong with describing God or Christ with our native tongue. He would hear and answer still.

If the name was translated to other Languages, that means it has a literal meaning.

Do you know the literal meaning of Yeshua?

Am just curios.
Re: Why Do We Call Him Jesus If His Name Is Yeshua? - Christianity by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 03, 2015
SirWere:
**In Simi's voice** I will pay you no attention, toh ba bi mi ni Jamb question o!

Cc ProphetUdeme, FrancisTony and other people more qualified to answer this question!
prophetudeme deactivated his account
Re: Why Do We Call Him Jesus If His Name Is Yeshua? - Christianity by Sanchez01: 12:52pm On Oct 03, 2015
WETINUSABI:

If the name was translated to other Languages, that means it has a literal meaning.

Do you know the literal meaning of Yeshua?

Am just curios.
This may be a bit lengthy but it's needed to help you grasp the true meaning of the name.

"Yehoshua" is a compound name consisting of two elements.

(1) The prefix "Yeho–" is an abbreviation of the Tetragrammaton, God's Four-Letter Name: Yod-He-Vav-He or YHVH.

In the Hebrew Bible "Yeho-" is used at the beginning of certain proper names: Jehoshaphat, Jehoiachin, Jehonathan (the "J" was pronounced as "Y" in Medieval English). The suffix form of the Tetragrammaton is "-yah" ("-iah" in Greek, as in Isaiah, Jeremiah, Zechariah, or Halleluiah).

(2) The second element is a form of the Hebrew verb yasha which means to deliver, save, or rescue.
Thus, linguistically, the name Yehoshua/Yeshua Jesus conveys the idea that God (YHVH) delivers (his people).

Simply put, the literal meaning of Yehoshua is deliverer and Saviour (Isa 9:6-7).
Re: Why Do We Call Him Jesus If His Name Is Yeshua? - Christianity by orisa37: 8:42pm On Oct 03, 2015
One is Greek, the other is Italia.

(1) (Reply)

Of Paul And James / What You Don’t Know About Rev. Dr. Chris Oyakhilome / Pastor Dies Attempting Jesus' 40 Days & 40 Nights Fasting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.