Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,529 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:58 PM

What Did Jesus Mean By Saying "It Is Finished? " - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Did Jesus Mean By Saying "It Is Finished? " (929 Views)

Good Friday: It Is Finished / What Does The Name Jesus Mean To You? / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Did Jesus Mean By Saying "It Is Finished? " by sunntrost(m): 7:46am On Oct 03, 2015
“When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, ‘It is finished!’ And bowing his head, he gave up his spirit.” (John 19:30).

It is finished with what? What exactly did Jesus achieve in three years of ministry? How many people were saved? How many were healed? Jesus’ entire ministry did not go beyond a 200-mile radius. Jesus never came to Africa or to the Americas or to Australia. At the end of his ministry, many remained sick. Many remained untouched. Most rejected his gospel. The Jews remained Jewish. The Romans crucified him.

John the Baptist proclaimed Jesus as: “the Lamb who takes away the sin of the world.” (John 1:29). However, at the end of his ministry, the world remained mired in sin. Murderers continued to kill; liars continued to tell lies; armed robbers continued to pillage; “pen robbers” continued to defraud. Clearly, Jesus’ ministry can be labelled a failure simplistically because his right-hand man betrayed him, all his disciples deserted him, and the Jews, the very people he came for, asked for him to be crucified.

So what did Jesus mean by saying: “it is finished?”
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By Saying "It Is Finished? " by aolumaxi(m): 7:56am On Oct 03, 2015
thank God for the blood of Jesus dat was shed den.... many has been saved nd the blood is still saving... his work was finished... making himself an Atonement for our sins... #hallelujah

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By Saying "It Is Finished? " by tartar9(m): 2:22pm On Oct 03, 2015
I don die
Re: What Did Jesus Mean By Saying "It Is Finished? " by orisa37: 9:08am On Oct 04, 2015
My friend satan, you see what you have done? You don kill me finish.. Now that we have become two parallel lines, I am moving upstairs, and, you are banned forever from there.

1 Like

Re: What Did Jesus Mean By Saying "It Is Finished? " by MuttleyLaff: 11:22am On Oct 04, 2015
sunntrost:
“When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, ‘It is finished!’ And bowing his head, he gave up his spirit.” (John 19:30)
Get ready to read, this isnt for the faint hearted, those who cant read at length or dont who have to worry about their MBs

sunntrost:
It is finished with what? What exactly did Jesus achieve in three years of ministry? How many people were saved? How many were healed?
We are still counting

sunntrost:
Jesus’ entire ministry did not go beyond a 200-mile radius. Jesus never came to Africa or to the Americas or to Australia.
Have you not read that the baton has changed hands?

sunntrost:
At the end of his ministry, many remained sick.
We are still living in a fallen world

sunntrost:
Many remained untouched. Most rejected his gospel.
Dichotomy in your remark
- have you considered maybe untouched because of rejecting the Gospel

sunntrost:
The Jews remained Jewish
Remaining or unremaining being Jewish wasnt part Jesus' remit

sunntrost:
The Romans crucified him
The pawn in the game of the Jew

sunntrost:
John the Baptist proclaimed Jesus as: “the Lamb who takes away the sin of the world.” (John 1:29). However, at the end of his ministry, the world remained mired in sin. Murderers continued to kill; liars continued to tell lies; armed robbers continued to pillage; “pen robbers” continued to defraud.
Do you at all truly understand what the full Gospel is?

sunntrost:
Clearly, Jesus’ ministry can be labelled a failure
This remarks needs saving for April 1st.

sunntrost:
simplistically because his right-hand man betrayed him, all his disciples deserted him, and the Jews, the very people he came for, asked for him to be crucified.
Genesis 22:18 and John 3:16

"In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice."
- Genesis 22:18

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life
- John 3:16

sunntrost:
So what did Jesus mean by saying: “It is finished?”
Most people' last words are very profound, and Jesus' last words are no exception to this fact

Jesus as a dying man hung on a cross, uttered the below famous 7 dying last words
1) Luke 23:34 - Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.
2) Luke 23:43 - Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise.
3) John 19:26–27 - Woman, behold your son. Son Behold your mother.
4) Matthew 27:46 & Mark 15:34 - My God, My God, (this bit is blanked out, to be revealed later)
5) John 19:28 - I thirst.
6) John 19:30 - It is finished (or "It is accomplished'')
7) Luke 23:46 - Father, into your hands I commit my spirit

Most enquiring minds after reading Matthew 27:46 or Matthew 27:50 and then reading Mark 15:34 or Mark 15:37 would ask:
"What were those Jesus' last words on the cross missing or not explicitly mentioned in Matthew 27:50 and Mark 15:37?"

Well of courtesy of John 19:30 and Luke 23:46, we know what the last words are,
which were missing or not explicitly mentioned in Matthew 27:50 and Mark 15:37

If we keep, "Eli, Eli, lama, Sabachthani", (i.e. Matthew 27:46 and Matthew 27:50) in the mind,
and also keep "it is finished" or "it is accomplished" together with "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit" in mind too
(i.e. Matthew 27:50 or Mark 15:37 with John 19:30 and Luke 23:46)
then there is a good chance of understanding what Jesus Christ actually said with "Eli, Eli, lama, Sabachthani"
(i.e. My God, My God, (the continuing bit here is blanked out, to be revealed later))
and also know what He was saying and was doing with those last dying words.

As previously hinted in another thread "Sabachthani" is a homonym
and it apart from meaning "forsaken or abandoned", it also does means "to keep or kept", "to allow" or "to permit"

The final words of most dying persons are very important,
and last words of such dying people, are usually filled with messages for certain people, are last wishes, are final requests, are final blessings, are special instructions, can be cryptic messages (e.g. Jesus switching to Aramaic with "Eli, Eli, lama, Sabachthani'') etcetera

The dying last four words of Jesus were:
4) Matthew 27:46 & Mark 15:34 - My God, My God, (this bit is blanked out, to be revealed later)
5) John 19:28 - I thirst.
6) John 19:30 - It is finished (or "It is accomplished'')
7) Luke 23:46 - Father, into your hands I commit my spirit

The first of the last 4 words were for the benefit of the disciples, which is why it was spoken in Aramaic
(e.g. "Eli, Eli, lama, Sabachthani'' a cryptic message for the benefit of the disciples)
The last two words (i.e. #6 and #7) are self explanatory and makes everthing else fall into place once the proper translation of the "Eli, Eli, lama, Sabachthani" is done.

"Eli, Eli, lama, Sabachthani" means:
"My God, My God, this is why You kept me"
or "My God, My God, this is My destiny"
or "My God, My God, this is what You permitted"
or "My God, My God, this is what You allowed"

So we have "My God, My God, this is why You kept me"; "It is finished (or "It is accomplished'')

and then "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit"

Jesus for the benefit of the disciples uttered in Aramaic the purpose
(i.e. the reason all those things were happening, the reason why He was created or the reason why He came to exist)
He then after declaring that the purpose (i.e. the process for salvation) is finished or accomplished
excused Himself with the "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit" last word

Jesus chose His word very carefully and didnt speak impetuously when He used "Eli, Eli, lama, Sabachthani"
He actually was paraphrasing the begining of Psalm 22 (i.e. Psalm 22:1) just like He paraphrased the end of Psalm 22 (i.e Psalm 22:31)
There are a bunch of other scriptures and messianic psalms Jesus paraphrases.
Paul Peter et al also display this behaviour of quoting scriptures and messianic psalms

Jesus deliberating DID NOT quote Psalms 22:1 verbatim or didnt quoted it word for word directly
but consciously changed or switched language and used the Aramaic "sabachthani",
so as to make the distinction from the Aramaic "nashatani"

"nashatani" and "sabachthani" are both Aramaic
"Nashatani" is the Aramaic word for the Hebrew word "azabtani", where in Psalms 22:1 it is correctly translated as the English word "forsaken"

Since "Eli, Eli, lama, Sabachthani" is Aramaic, if Jesus meant "forsaken", He would have uttered "Eli, Eli, lama, Nashatani"
where "Eli, Eli, lama, Nashatani" would mean "My God, My God, why hath Thou forsaken Me"
but He used "Eli, Eli, lama, Sabachthani"
which means:
"My God, My God, this is why You kept me"
or "My God, My God, this is My destiny" (i.e. I was born to do this)

Unlike some saying insisting on "forsaken", the Aramaic speaking disciples and those in the crowd who were from Galilee never for a moment thought that Jesus had said God had forsaken Him. How can that possibly be? God, forsake Jesus? Nah, no, no, no.

Those words, "My God, My God, for this I was kept"
or "My God, My God, this is why You kept me"
or "My God, My God, this is My destiny" (i.e. I was born for this)

was deliberated spoken in Aramaic by Jesus to God the Father and He spoke it loudly enough for the benefit and hearing of the disciples and others who understood Aramaic. He confirmed the plan, confirmed the reason for His crucifixion, and confirmed the execution of the plan
He did all this to the hearing of the disciples et al, made it publicly official, so that the beautiful message be known and be passed on to the entire world by the hearers of those unforgetable last words.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

"What If You Were Wrong All Along" ? / An Online Prayer Community To Connect And Share Prayer Requests / Why I Quit Tithing (and Why You Should Too)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.