Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,301 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) (1373 Views)

‘Family Cut Me Off Because I Married A Woman On Wheelchair’ / Zimbabwean Woman Living With 2 Husbands (Photo) / Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) by oake(m): 5:38pm On Oct 03, 2015

For most people, going blind is their worst nightmare, [/b]but for this North Carolina woman it was a dream come true.

Jewel Shuping, 30, was so desperate to be blind that she poured draining cleaner in her baby blues to wipe out her eyesight — and she couldn’t be happier.

[b]She suffers from an illness called body integrity identity disorder (BIID)
a disease that causes able-bodied people to strongly desire a disability.

[b]“I really feel this is the way I was supposed to be born, that I should have been blind from birth,” [/b]Shuping told Barcroft Media.

The afflicted woman knew from a young age she wanted to be blind, and would attempt to harm her eyesight by staring at the sun while “blind-simming,” or pretending to be blind.

By the time Shuping turned 21, the idea of being blind was “a non-stop alarm that was going off” and she sought the help of a sympathetic psychologist to help her carry out her ultimate desire in 2006.

The psychologist gave her eye-numbing drops before sprinkling a few droplets of drain cleaner into each pupil.

“It hurt, let me tell you. My eyes were screaming and I had some drain cleaner going down my cheek burning my skin,” she said.

“But all I could think was, ‘I am going blind, it is going to be okay.”

Dr. Michael First, professor of clinical psychiatry at Columbia University, says that people who suffer from BIID can’t control their need to be disabled.

“These people are aware that this feeling of theirs is unusual — they know it is coming from within them. They can’t explain it,” he said.

Shuping is now studying for a degree in education and is hoping to help other blind people live an independent life. She hopes that by sharing her story, it will encourage other sufferers of BIID to seek professional help.

[url][/url]<iframe src='//players.brightcove.net/4137224153001/default_default/index.html' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

http://nypost.com/2015/10/01/i-blinded-myself-on-purpose-and-have-never-been-happier/

Re: I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) by Justice28(m): 5:38pm On Oct 03, 2015
. Na u sabi undecided

2 Likes

Re: I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 03, 2015
WEIRD!!!!!
Re: I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) by ULSHERLAN(m): 5:50pm On Oct 03, 2015
This is what my black people here in Africa dont have.
Re: I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) by Dojupyo(f): 5:58pm On Oct 03, 2015
Integrity Identity disorder kor
So she advises others with BIID to go blind, is this some kind of professional help
This white folks sef.. I love Africa, I trust them not to do such..

1 Like

Re: I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 03, 2015
I just really dont get what wrongbwith some white folks. angry
make she come try am for naija where govt support no dey, she gp do bambiAllah tire.
Re: I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) by Nobody: 9:19pm On Oct 03, 2015
Only in America. . .

Every madness in that country has a funky name. BIID indeed. Tua! grin grin

2 Likes

Re: I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) by Pidggin(f): 12:12am On Oct 04, 2015
She's possesed by an evil spirit yet they think it is a disease
Re: I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) by angieberry(f): 12:39am On Oct 04, 2015
White people, white people problems....

Abeg na wetin consign me??
Re: I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) by montezz(f): 12:53am On Oct 04, 2015
Oyinbo ati were sha! Smh. Dia level of madness z higher dan d peak of mt.kilimanjaro.
Re: I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) by Kelvin0(m): 12:56am On Oct 04, 2015
I feel sorry for her foolishness angry
Re: I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) by mystiqueDZ(f): 2:57am On Oct 04, 2015
They just have to term it? undecided undecided undecided
BIID my a.ss!!!
Re: I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 04, 2015
She's demonically possessed and yet, they will look for a sweet medical name to label it. SMH... BIID indeed.
Re: I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 04, 2015
END TIME TINZZZZZ

grin grin grin
Re: I Made Myself Blind Because I Was Meant To Be Disabled: Living With BIID (photo) by Nobody: 6:46am On Oct 05, 2015
When she knows the US government will take care of her and pay her disability money, why won't she chop her left leg off? All these psychologists enabling stupid behaviour. Be yourself, be yourself; na so you are yourself until you start doing crazy things. Mtchewwww, try this one in Nigeria and see if you will not beg on the streets. Funny people.

(1) (Reply)

Thread For Born Out Of Wedlock Nlers / US Man Shows Off His 2 ‘wives’ On Facebook, They Both Live With Him & Have A Bab / Why Are Men Jealous Of Their Babies??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.