Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,496 members, 7,826,868 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Why Do You Refer To Your Ethnic Group As A Tribe? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do You Refer To Your Ethnic Group As A Tribe? (795 Views)

30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups / List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Some Nigerian Ethnic Groups And Their Dressing Styles (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do You Refer To Your Ethnic Group As A Tribe? by Kanoro: 6:13pm On Oct 03, 2015
More specifically ethnic groups such as the the Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba who have historically controlled very powerful kingdoms and empires and lived in urban areas even longer than most Europeans did. West Africans have also been practicing agriculture and metallurgy longer than most of Europe as well. To me, the word tribe seems like a European invention to downplay the historical kingdoms, empires and overall centralized states and governments that Africans come from. Same thing with when they referred to high ranking officials in these empires as "chiefs." If there was an identical group of people in Europe, they'd refer to it as a "nation" or an "ethnic group" and they'd refer to the "chiefs" as lieutenants or nobles. I don't think you Africans should take the bait. I'm an American and even I find it offensive. The Basque in Spain for example are an "ethnic group" that number only 2.4 million. Historically they did have their own kingdom but more often than not, they were a vassal of a larger kingdom. The Yoruba on the other hand number 40 million and have always been a political powerhouse even to this day.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do You Refer To Your Ethnic Group As A Tribe? by Fulaman198(m): 7:34pm On Oct 03, 2015
I surely do not and for many reasons. Most of these ethnic groups have several subgroups so calling them a tribe makes no sense.
Re: Why Do You Refer To Your Ethnic Group As A Tribe? by Kanoro: 8:17pm On Oct 03, 2015
Fulaman198:
I surely do not and for many reasons. Most of these ethnic groups have several subgroups so calling them a tribe makes no sense.

Exactly. I'd feel very insulted if people downplayed my history and culture by calling it a tribe or "tribal"

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Refer To Your Ethnic Group As A Tribe? by Fulaman198(m): 9:00pm On Oct 03, 2015
Kanoro:

Exactly. I'd feel very insulted if people downplayed my history and culture by calling it a tribe or "tribal"

Those who typically refer to it as a tribe are brainwashed and suffering from inferiority complex.
Re: Why Do You Refer To Your Ethnic Group As A Tribe? by Kanoro: 9:28pm On Oct 03, 2015
Fulaman198:

Those who typically refer to it as a tribe are brainwashed and suffering from inferiority complex.

Unfortunately most black people in the world suffer from an inferiority complex. Even those of us who were born in the West.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do You Refer To Your Ethnic Group As A Tribe? by Fulaman198(m): 10:48pm On Oct 03, 2015
Kanoro:

Unfortunately most black people in the world suffer from an inferiority complex. Even those of us who were born in the West.

You were born in the West, but you are Nigerian though right? I assume you are from Kano judging by your name. Are you Hausa?
Re: Why Do You Refer To Your Ethnic Group As A Tribe? by Kanoro: 12:00am On Oct 04, 2015
Fulaman198:

You were born in the West, but you are Nigerian though right? I assume you are from Kano judging by your name. Are you Hausa?

No to all 3. I'm full blooded American.
Re: Why Do You Refer To Your Ethnic Group As A Tribe? by Funjosh(m): 8:02am On Oct 04, 2015
Do I even know the difference between Tribe and Ethnic group tongue

(1) (Reply)

A Village Where Dead People Are Roasted And Stored Rather Burry / The 3rd Face Of Okija Finalists To Be Unveiled Tomorrow / Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.