Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,743 members, 7,824,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

Please Read My Book, I Write Contemporary African Stories For Young People - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Please Read My Book, I Write Contemporary African Stories For Young People (929 Views)

Do Contemporary African Writers Actually Sell Books? / First Chapter Of A Book I Just Started: Critique Plzzzz / My Book Of Rants! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Read My Book, I Write Contemporary African Stories For Young People by smile4kenn(m): 12:48pm On Apr 21, 2009
Its a 396 pages book,
Low English Vocals
Title: Moonlight Virus

Part of chapter 1

Grace Ezenna stepped out of the arrivals and she could clearly see the airport she left 8 years ago. She looked around to make sure it was where she departed eight years back for New York. She could tell from the warm weather, noisy atmosphere and cluttered environment. She looked up and saw the airport name written in black “Muritala International Airport, Lagos.” The airport crowded with lot of people like a very popular shopping mall, a lot of people departing more than people arriving. She wondered what these thousands of African are doing outside the airport. Lots of Airport Taxi, Lot of travelers with Huge Bags, people without bags just looking around, then, she realized that she has arrived in the city of Lagos. The most populous city in Africa with over 15 million people, the airport can tell what the main city will look like. Grace walked slowly, while she watched every movement around her. Everyone arriving has someone waiting at the arrivals, maybe family members or friends. She has no one; she didn’t inform her uncle about her arrival. Tens of men walked towards her, each of them walking faster to surpass the other. She grabbed her single luggage to her legs.
“Where are you going to?”
“Which hotel are you going to?”
“Do you need a taxi to your destination?”
“Do you have tickets from the taxi booth?” They spoke to her in a chorus manner with strong African accents.

“You people should not worry, I will let you know when I need a taxi” she replied.

They didn’t walk out immediately, some still stood around her trying to know where she is going to?
“Do you have someone coming to pick you?” one of them said.
“Where exactly are you going to?” another said.
“I said I will let you people know if I need one” she replied.

They all left and looked somewhere else. She has the address of her uncle, but she decided not to go there directly because she didn’t inform him of her coming. She has no idea if he is presently in Nigeria. She has good knowledge of hotels in the city of Lagos which she surfed out before traveling. She walked towards the taxi park outside the airport.

“Can you please take me to Sheraton hotels?” she asked a taxi man which was one of the men that walked up to her earlier.
“No problem ma,” he opened his car trunk, he kept her single bag in the boot. She was amazed with the type of car used as cabs; they were presentable with neat interiors. The taxi man drove out of the airport; she couldn’t take off her eyes off from the window view of the streets of Lagos. Everything seems better than what the media has portrayed about the city. She watched people walk fast like busy bees. People dress in their African attires. People hawk in their mobile kiosk. People smile to their single customers. She said “truly Africa.”

“What?” the taxi driver asked.
“Oh I was just speaking to myself” she replied.
“Is this your first time to Nigeria?”
She smiled and then replied, “I am Nigerian”

Sheraton hotels is one of the best hotels you can find in Lagos, the magnificent and colorful building is also unique. She remembered the words of a travel advisor she met online. Before the Taxi man unloads her bag from the boot, he assisted her to check for available room in Sheraton, knowing quite well that she doesn’t know much about the city of Lagos.

“Good evening and welcome to Sheraton hotels and towers Lagos,” One of the receptionists at the hotel said.
“Good evening, please I want to know if there is any available room” Grace said.
“Yes we have quite some numbers of rooms ranging from our single room to suites. Please have a look at this brochure.”

Grace was able to book a simple room of her taste. she found out that the hotel rooms were as expensive as the rooms back in United States. The taxi man helped her unload her bag and dropped them by the reception. Grace tipped the taxi man with an extra pay.
“Madame thanks and also enjoy your stay in Lagos.” Taxi man said.
“You are welcome” Grace replied.

to be cont'd
Re: Please Read My Book, I Write Contemporary African Stories For Young People by JTN07: 1:24pm On Apr 22, 2009
Waiting for the continuation of the story, smile4kenn
Re: Please Read My Book, I Write Contemporary African Stories For Young People by kay9(m): 3:44pm On Apr 22, 2009
So far, so good. Nice work.
Re: Please Read My Book, I Write Contemporary African Stories For Young People by smile4kenn(m): 4:36am On Apr 23, 2009
Grace finished her tasty sandwiches. Everyone in the dining room was either speaking a native language or English with deep accents. The room looked big enough to hold party or a conference dinner. She wished to talk with some of the beautiful faces around her, but everyone was either busy in long discussions or eating.

The friendly smiles in the hall kept her warm. 'Funke must have sent me an e-mail message my now' she thought. Grace strode confidently to the noisy bar holding her laptop. She calmly opened the door and walked into the foyer. She sat at the free internet Wi-Fi lounge.  She wondered why the man by the doorway starred at her for so long. His lean, powerful workouts filled the outline of the frame. His eyes slowly cruised the floor, not stopping on vacant chairs near table of two attractive women in the corner but she watched his eyes stopped looking at her Iced lemon tea. She turned and looked up at him as if she was waiting for him. Her sultry eyes looked him over and she smiled approvingly, then she waited, not saying a word.
“I hope am welcomed to sit next to you” He asked.
The agile facial appearance disappeared as he made a smile.
“Yes, sure” she replied with a mild smile.
“You have been sitting here for the past 35 minutes, so I decided to ask if you are waiting for someone” he asked.
“Oh do you actually check the time everyone sits here?”
“Not really, maybe every minute I sit here counts for a reason.”
“Am not waiting for anybody but just looking around before I go back to my room” she replied.
“If I may ask, are you Nigerian? Your accent sounds different”
“Yes I am Nigerian, just like you” She smiled replying him.
“Am sorry, I was just curious”
She smiled.
“I guess you travel a lot, maybe to the states, but you still speak a little bit Nigerian”
“Actually, this is my second evening in Nigeria after 8 years.” She replied.
“Oh, this is nice. No wonder you have been looking around”
“Yes, everything has changed since I left. I am happy to be back”
“What about your family members, friends or relatives? I am sure they will be happy to see you”
“I just came back yesterday, I haven’t called them but I will do that soon” she replied.
“So you came back alone and without informing any of your relatives of your arrival?”
“Best known to me” Grace replied as she tried to change the topic.
“So what are you doing here, you work here?”
“I actually don’t work here, but sitting with you might be part of my work.” He replied.
“That means you work here, maybe you have to get back to your work now.”
“Talking to you might also be part of my work”
Grace wondered what type of work will warrant him talking to any lady. He is not a chef or a waiter, she observed his smart composure . There become a mild silence while the strange man checked round the room.
“Sorry, I didn’t tell you my name, you can call me Jay”
“Jay? nice name but that does not identify your tribe”
"You just mention the most reason I love my name, I don't believe in tribes yet am also proud of my identity"
“Oh, I see. I Am Grace Ezenna and proud my last name represents my origin”
“Igbo, I should have guessed. You look like one. Nice meeting you grace”
She smiled. “Do Igbo people have a way they look? anyway, never mind."
Before he could say some words, Grace interrupted.
“So you are done with your work here? You are practically the first person am talking with this long since my arrival”
“Now back to serious business.” He said Solemnly.
"What serious business?" She replied.
He placed a white envelop on her table while he composed a deceptive smile.
"You have a message from the senator and 72 hours to appear before the DONAI agency"
The sound of his statement was like a nightmare. Grace felt spine-less as she stammers replying him.
“Whaaaat Senator?"
"I am sure you are aware of the senator"
"Please you have to leave now." She could not control the few drops of tears.
"I am confident you are the Journalist my boss is expecting"
“Let’s leave that for some other time if there will be. I am sorry I have to leave now”
“Is it time?”
"What time?"
He remained quiet.
"Mister, I appreciate your company and you playing with my feelings." She grabbed her laptop, faced towards the door and tried to leave.
"I am sorry angel, I am only trying to do my work. The better you pick up this envelop, I am sure you understand the expectations."
"I am in Lagos for my own reasons, a two months project assigned to me from my news firm. Please have your letter back!" She noticed different eyes looking as she replied in loud tone."

“Not really possible princess. Like I said earlier, talking with you is part of my Job. I wish I could be extra ordinary kind to a beautiful angel like you, but the nature of my Job won't let me.” He paused as he dropped a small card on her table, then continued. "You might need my personal help." Before she spoke a word, his footsteps were already heading towards the door.

Grace walked back to her room not looking at anyone. She placed the envelop and office card on the TV set opposite her large bed. She sat on her bed starring at the 21 inch television wishing she could destroy the letter without knowing the content. Confused, she has so many questions for urgent answers. "who informed them of my arrival? How come he knew my hotel? Why this time I am supposed to write a special story and also reunite with my family? Restless, she tried not to think of the problems that could be associated with the letter. "My future, my career, my life!" she screamed feeling no one else could hear her as she saw the bathroom door open.
"sorry ma'am"
As she heard the tiny voice of a young lady, she could hear her fast heart beats and and ticks of the clock. The room keeper walked quickly out of the room holding her bucket, mobs and a bag. Grace tried to relax but couldn't, feeling evil has visited her through an envelop. "DONAI" her nightmares were coming to reality. Walking round the large space in her room, she searched for something to reoccupy her mind. Instead, She remembers her innocent father, her lost brother, career, friends, news firm, all will be affected for the sins and rituals she never remembered committing. Her fast eyes traveling around the room stopped at a DVD player by the television. She moved closer to some DVD packs beside the player. She wondered if the Nigerian movies will be helpful. The urge to forget about problems she must face made her grab some movie copies to watch. “Blood Sisters.” She read the movie trailer and every word captivated her interest more. Now she has something to do.

Grace sat on her bed as long the movie played. Every other sound from her window or door never got her attention. She felt tears rolling from her eyes at the fascinating end of the movie. The dynamic combination of actors and actresses to portray an interesting shocker about blood sisters made her realized Nigerian movies have taken a step higher. She removed her journal book from her bag to write down a summary of the movie, just like she always does. While battling with her feelings remembering the stranger she met downstairs made her fall asleep.

to be cont'd

(1) (Reply)

Help: I Want To Learn : / Pls, I Need Material On The Impact Of Information Technology In Nigeria Banking / Chinua Achebe Wins $300,000 Gish Prize

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.