Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,060 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! (2123 Views)

Those Who Abandon Their Religion Should Be Executed, Says Imam / "TB Joshua Heals A Man That His Manhood Refused To Stop Being Erect" (Video) / Religion Should Be Abolished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by hahn(m): 9:26am On Oct 04, 2015
It is very sad that in this country religious studies is mandatory in some schools. Why should that be?

Imagine teaching biology and then you tell the kids about the reproductive system only for the same students to be taught in bible class that Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus undecided. That is plain confusing.

Or when you teach a child about the solar system only to tell that same child in Islamic studies that Mohammed split the moon in two undecided

Instead of teaching kids about flying horses we should be teaching them how to invent aeroplanes, rockets etc.

Instead of teaching them about heaven and hell teach them how to make the best use of their time on earth. Teach them to take care of their environment by properly disposing their waste.

Instead of teaching them about a god they cannot see, teach them about how to show love to fellows human beings, plant, animals and everything present in nature.

Instead of teaching them to "put their trust in the lord" or "blame the devil for every bad thing that happens in their life" teach them how to take responsibility for their lives and how to strategically address problems or difficulties with the aim of solving them.

Religion is full of fairy tales and foreign superstition and should not be taught as fact in our schools especially when you consider all the contradictions and inconsistencies in their "holy" books.. It is about time that it is abolished from our schooling system and relegated to religious houses where they belong.

The irony of it is that our leaders actually think it is wise to stop history from being taught in our schools undecided

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Horlufemi(m): 9:45am On Oct 04, 2015
I agreed. What is good for the goose is good for the gender.

Evolution and atheism must not be taught too.

Atheism is absense of God and Evolution is more like a fable than theory (a lot of scientists believe it though) but as far as I'm concerned "it takes more faith to believe in evolution than to believe in a God"
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Tolexander: 9:57am On Oct 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

Atheism is absense of God and Evolution is more like a fable than theory (a lot of scientists believe it though) but as far as I'm concerned "it takes more faith to believe in evolution than to believe in a God"
evolution still has element of existence compared to it the creation where the beginning of existence is nothing and airstream from the lungs of an imagination of a supreme being

1 Like

Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Horlufemi(m): 9:59am On Oct 04, 2015
Tolexander:
evolution still has element of reality compared to it the creation where the beginning of existence is nothing and airstream from the lungs of an imagination of a supreme being

Oya explain the Cambrian explosion with your usual faith.

I'm all ears.

Or better your so molecule to man theory.

I'm telling you evolution is as magical as religion.
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by hahn(m): 10:01am On Oct 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

Evolution is part of science and even when taught is not presented as a fact but as a theory as opposed to the creation concept that claims it is a fact that the world was created in 6days or that the world is only 4,000years when in fact there is ample evidence that the world is way older than that.

Scientists only believe in evolution because at the moment it seems to make sense. That doesn't mean that scientists have stopped studying the earth trying to come up with a better explanation. As opposed to religion that says "god did it" and accept that to be final.

Apparently, you don't even know what "faith" means. Since you're online, I'd advice you check www.dictionary.com to get a proper understanding of the word

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Horlufemi(m): 10:06am On Oct 04, 2015
hahn:

Evolution is part of science and even when taught is not presented as a fact but as a theory as opposed to the creation concept that claims it is a fact that the world was created in 6days or that the world is only 4,000years when in fact there is ample evidence that the world is way older than that.

Scientists only believe in evolution because at the moment it seems to make sense. That doesn't mean that scientists have stopped studying the earth trying to come up with a better explanation. As opposed to religion that says "god did it" and accept that to be final.

Apparently, you don't even know what "faith" means. Since you're online, I'd advice you check www.dictionary.com to get a proper understanding of the word

I don't believe in creationism.

But can you calculate the chances your existence from the beginning of the universe i.e. big bang.

Let me start for you.

Chances of the universe exist is 50% or 1/2 i.e. the universe will exist or it won't?

Calculate the chances of you existing and reading this post.

Oya continue.

Alert me when you are done.
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by hahn(m): 10:14am On Oct 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

I don't believe in creationism.

But can you calculate the chances your existence from the beginning of the universe i.e. big bang.

Let me start for you.

Chances of the universe exist is 50% or 1/2 i.e. the universe will exist or it won't?

Calculate the chances of you existing and reading this post.

Oya continue.

Alert me when you are done.

I don't believe in creationism either. If you had read my initial post you would have noticed where I said it is only a theory. At the moment I am content with saying "I don't know" until someone comes up with a definite explanation. I believe this is better than saying "god did it" which is simply intellectual dishonesty especially considering that no one has seen this god since existence. You know why, because it doesn't exist. Simple

Look, I am here and I consider myself lucky to be able to witness this beautiful world I just happen to find myself in. I try to enjoy every day as it comes and make the best use of my time.
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by hahn(m): 10:20am On Oct 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

Oya explain the Cambrian explosion with your usual faith.

I'm all ears.

Or better your so molecule to man theory.

I'm telling you evolution is as magical as religion.

What is up with you an evolution? Science has created a lot more things that are of benefit to man than god ever has. Where was god when science created anti-malaria drugs after it had killed thoughsand of people? Where was god when scientists flew to the moon? How come they didn't see him on the way there? Afterall he reportedly destroyed the tower of babel because it was to high and about to reach heave.

Look, next time you or anyone in your family is ill, don't buy any drugs. Just take them to your church and pray so they can get better. When your god heals you or them, come back here and give your testimony. Until then your god doesn't exist. Simple
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Horlufemi(m): 10:21am On Oct 04, 2015
hahn:

I don't believe in creationism either. If you had read my initial post you would have noticed where I said it is only a theory. At the moment I am content with saying "I don't know" until someone comes up with a definite explanation. I believe this is better than saying "god did it" which is simply intellectual dishonesty especially considering that no one has seen this god since existence. You know why, because it doesn't exist. Simple

Look, I am here and I consider myself lucky to be able to witness this beautiful world I just happen to find myself in. I try to enjoy every day as it comes and make the best use of my time.

Life forms are created to evolve. They change but they dont turn to another specie. Mutuations is noise or a corrupt part of the dna informatiin and has no benefita. A dog will always be a dog, there could be changes here and there but they are still dogs. We don't know scientifically how life came to be but one thing I'm so sure of life being designed by an intelligent designer. We have no idea who or what it is.
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by hahn(m): 10:25am On Oct 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

Life forms are created to evolve. They change but they dont turn to another specie. Mutuations is noise or a corrupt part of the dna informatiin and has no benefita. A dog will always be a dog, there could be changes here and there but they are still dogs. We don't know scientifically how life came to be but one thing I'm so sure of life being designed by an intelligent designer. We have no idea who or what it is.

@bolded, do you have any proof of this or are you just driven by the fear of hell fire? Have you seen this intelligent designer and can you show it to me?

I do agree though that we have no idea of who, what or even how we came to existence but to state that an imaginary being is responsible is nothing but an assumption and NOT a fact
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Horlufemi(m): 10:34am On Oct 04, 2015
hahn:

What is up with you an evolution? Science has created a lot more things that are of benefit to man than god ever has. Where was god when science created anti-malaria drugs after it had killed thoughsand of people? Where was god when scientists flew to the moon? How come they didn't see him on the way there? Afterall he reportedly destroyed the tower of babel because it was to high and about to reach heave.

Look, next time you or anyone in your family is ill, don't buy any drugs. Just take them to your church and pray so they can get better. When your god heals you or them, come back here and give your testimony. Until then your god doesn't exist. Simple

For your information I'm not religious.

Everything man has ever done is discovery and application of principles of the universe God defined. Even the higgs boson that gave matter mass was already defined by the power of his awesomeness. What an awesome God.

Back to your question. Man rebelled against God and want to be in control of things but fornuately God has left Leaves and roots are made for man and also given man wisdom to use it for aliments. He made man dominate the earth.

Science is discovery of God's principles of the universe.

My question is your mind a physical or spiritual entity. If physical where is the location of the mind in your body.

The universe is made up of energy, matter and information.

Information in the the DNA of cells. And all information comes from a mind. It is copiable and translatable. Where does the information in the cells come from? Wait before u spew trash again. 2nd law of thermodynamics in layman terms u can't get order from disorder. Oya answer.

God is awesome.
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Horlufemi(m): 10:41am On Oct 04, 2015
hahn:

@bolded, do you have any proof of this or are you just driven by the fear of hell fire? Have you seen this intelligent designer and can you show it to me?

I do agree though that we have no idea of who, what or even how we came to existence but to state that an imaginary being is responsible is nothing but an assumption and NOT a fact

The chances of humanity existing can hurt the mind and humble it. All I know is we are not definitely here by chance

Me I'm not for religion. Religion scares people into worship. I know Jesus not religion.

The bolded is actually for you? Ponder well on it. You can choose.

God has called us "come let's reason together"
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by hahn(m): 10:42am On Oct 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

For your information I'm not religious.

Everything man has ever done is discovery and application of principles of the universe God defined. Even the higgs boson that gave matter mass was already defined by the power of his awesomeness. What an awesome God.

Back to your question. Man rebelled against God and want to be in control of things but fornuately God has left Leaves and roots are made for man and also given man wisdom to use it for aliments. He made man dominate the earth.

Science is discovery of God's principles of the universe.

My question is your mind a physical or spiritual entity. If physical where is the location of the mind in your body.

The universe is made up of energy, matter and information.

Information in the the DNA of cells. And all information comes from a mind. It is copiable and translatable. Where does the information in the cells come from? Wait before u spew trash again. 2nd law of thermodynamics in layman terms u can't get order from disorder. Oya answer.

God is awesome.

Lol. I'm not much of a science geek and I'm not too proud to say I don't know. However, it would be insincere to just assume it was created by something that can't be seen.

The mind is a word used to describe the inner workings of the brain just like the "spirit". There is nothing spiritual about it.

@ "before you spew trash". If you believe in god so much you should be able to respect other people's opinion and have a meaningful discussion without hurling insults. I can't remember where I insulted you.

God is nothing more than a figment of your imagination. It can't be seen and has not achieved any significant feat. It only exists in fairy tales and ancient stories.
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Horlufemi(m): 10:46am On Oct 04, 2015
hahn:

Lol. I'm not much of a science geek and I'm not too proud to say I don't know. However, it would be insincere to just assume it was created by something that can't be seen.

The mind is a word used to describe the inner workings of the brain just like the "spirit". There is nothing spiritual about it.

@ "before you spew trash". If you believe in god so much you should be able to respect other people's opinion and have a meaningful discussion without hurling insults. I can't remember where I insulted you.

God is nothing more than a figment of your imagination. It can't be seen and has not achieved any significant feat. It only exists in fairy tales and ancient stories.

The information in the cells are not fairy tales. Man is the only animal who is aware have you ever wondered why?.

Alao look at this this way.

The universe is made up of energy and matter na?

Humans are made up of the same matter in the universe.

Man is a scientist observing the universe?

Can the universe observe itself?

Think about this.

Glory to Jehovah cheesy
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by hahn(m): 10:46am On Oct 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

The chances of humanity existing can hurt the mind and humble it. All I know is we are not definitely here by chance

Me I'm not for religion. Religion scares people into worship. I know Jesus not religion.

You can't separate Jesus or god from religion because they are religious stories so your argument is invalid

The bolded is actually for you? Ponder well on it. You can choose.

God has called us "come let's reason together"

I asked a direct question. The best you could do was give a direct answer. I've pondered over it and it is obvious it doesn't exist.

Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by kolajamesjnr(m): 10:53am On Oct 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

Atheism is not a religion and atheism doesn't have anytin to do with evolution
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Horlufemi(m): 11:01am On Oct 04, 2015
[quote author=hahn post=38652679][/quote]

God is not a physical being. He hates religion read this and if you think God is still a fable or imagination. A God who laughs at religious people. Its left to you. You have nothing to loose if you accept Jesus. Jehovah is the living God not one of those sticks and stone images other worship.

Read this.

The rituals of the nations are hollow: a tree from the forest is chopped down and shaped by the craftsman’s tools. It’s overlaid with silver and gold, and fastened securely with hammer and nails so it won’t fall over. They are no different than a scarecrow in a cucumber patch: they can’t speak; they must be carried because they can’t walk. Don’t be afraid of them, because they can’t do harm or good.
Jeremiah 10:3-5 CEB
http://bible.com/37/jer.10.3-5.CEB
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Horlufemi(m): 11:06am On Oct 04, 2015
kolajamesjnr:

Atheism is not a religion and atheism doesn't have anytin to do with evolution

athe·ism\ˈā-thē-ˌi-zəm\
noun

a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Its a a doctrine of no God, so therefore its another religion. An anti-god religion ;DD . and one of the thing most atheists hold is science the evolution part

Oya say another one.
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by finofaya: 11:07am On Oct 04, 2015
Ideally, religion would be taught under social studies.
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by kolajamesjnr(m): 11:22am On Oct 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

athe·ism\ˈā-thē-ˌi-zəm\
noun

a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Its a a doctrine of no God, so therefore its another religion. An anti-god religion ;DD . and one of the thing most atheists hold is science the evolution part

Oya say another one.

Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion. While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion. Two commonly used retorts to the nonsense that atheism is a religion are: 1) If atheism is a religion then bald is a hair color, and 2) If atheism is a religion then health is a disease. A new one introduced in 2012 by Bill Maher is, "If atheism is a religion, then abstinence is a sexual position."

http://atheists.org/activism/resources/what-is-atheism?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by hahn(m): 11:31am On Oct 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

The information in the cells are not fairy tales. Man is the only animal who is aware have you ever wondered why?.

God only exists in fairytales and I'm sure if you reseearch properly, the formation of cells will be explained by science. Man is not the only animal aware of itself bro wink

Alao look at this this way.

The universe is made up of energy and matter na?

Humans are made up of the same matter in the universe.

Man is a scientist observing the universe?

Can the universe observe itself?

Think about this.

Glory to Jehovah cheesy

These your points don't make sense to me so I can't give you any answer. Sorry

Meanwhile, can you give any reasons why religion should be taught in schools? That is the point of this thread undecided
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Horlufemi(m): 11:35am On Oct 04, 2015
kolajamesjnr:

Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion. While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion. Two commonly used retorts to the nonsense that atheism is a religion are: 1) If atheism is a religion then bald is a hair color, and 2) If atheism is a religion then health is a disease. A new one introduced in 2012 by Bill Maher is, "If atheism is a religion, then abstinence is a sexual position."

http://atheists.org/activism/resources/what-is-atheism?

Your logic nice. But you can still be describe as bald i.e. hair type. Being Healthy is free of disease, it can still be described. Abstinence is refrain from sex, it can still be described.

Atheists are just Godless men.

You sha believe there is no God.

Belief here is the key.

In other words u r as religious as anyone. You need Jesus.

Jesus is greater than Religion

Quote me anywhere.
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Horlufemi(m): 11:41am On Oct 04, 2015
hahn:

Meanwhile, can you give any reasons why religion should be taught in schools? That is the point of this thread undecided

No religion at all.

Just teach.

Anyway you need to read my point scientifically.

Can a part of water be observing the water from where is comes from? i.e. taking measurements and observing the same body of water.?

No.
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by hahn(m): 12:20pm On Oct 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

No religion at all.

Just teach.

Anyway you need to read my point scientifically.

Can a part of water be observing the water from where is comes from? i.e. taking measurements and observing the same body of water.?

No.

How does this prove that god exists? undecided
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Horlufemi(m): 12:26pm On Oct 04, 2015
hahn:

How does this prove that god exists? undecided

It doesnt have to.

Give unto school what belongs to school and give unto religion what belongs to religion.

Just teach.

There are enough people to teach God does or doesn't exist outside the school walls.
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by hahn(m): 12:30pm On Oct 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

It doesnt have to.

Give unto school what belongs to school and give unto religion what belongs to religion.

Just teach.

There are enough people to teach God does or doesn't exist outside the school walls.

undecided undecided
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Horlufemi(m): 12:58pm On Oct 04, 2015
hahn:

undecided undecided

You need Jesus not religion.

Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by hahn(m): 1:07pm On Oct 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

You need Jesus not religion.

Yeah, right undecided
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Horlufemi(m): 1:08pm On Oct 04, 2015
hahn:

Yeah, right undecided

You got nothing to loose
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by hahn(m): 1:10pm On Oct 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

You got nothing to loose

I've got nothing to gain either smiley
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by Horlufemi(m): 1:21pm On Oct 04, 2015
hahn:

I've got nothing to gain either smiley

Must you gain something
Re: Religion Should Stop Being Taught In Schools! by hahn(m): 1:28pm On Oct 04, 2015
Horlufemi:

Must you gain something

What is the point of serving something you gain nothing from? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why I Am Fairly Certain That All Religions Are False. / Port Harcourt Pastor Reportedly Raises Man From The Dead in a Drama ministration / Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.