Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:01 AM

Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam (2124 Views)

ISIS Leader, Baghdadi, Says "Islam Was NEVER A Religion Of Peace. / Angola Shuts Down All Mosques, Says Islam Is Illegal / Son Of Hamas Leader Converts To Christianity Says Islam Is Collapsing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by thesilent1(m): 3:35pm On May 18, 2007
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by TellyB(m): 9:37pm On May 25, 2007
So, what exactly does Islam permit women to do -

#1. go to school?

#2. take up professional careers?

#3. pursue leadership positions in public life?

#4. drive cars of their own?

#5. interract freely with people (such as with men)?

What really does Islam permit or disavow as suiting to the life of a woman?
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by mukina2: 9:40pm On May 25, 2007
i wonder what topic i wont see in here undecided
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by TellyB(m): 9:43pm On May 25, 2007
This should be an opportunity for Muslims to disolve the misconceptions that people hold about women in Islam. smiley
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by mukina2: 9:49pm On May 25, 2007
Telly B:

This should be an opportunity for Muslims to disolve the misconceptions that people hold about women in Islam.  smiley

no how about saying its time for me to dissect my posts grin

btw i thot you were suspended from replyin to me cheesy

wnat to know my views on driving? tongue grin
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by TellyB(m): 9:54pm On May 25, 2007
mukina2,

mukina2:

no how about saying its time for me to dissect my posts grin

Toast to that!

mukina2:

between i thot you were suspended from replyin to me cheesy

Oops!!

mukina2:

wnat to know my views on driving? tongue grin

Please - that would be great. cheesy
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by Nobody: 9:56pm On May 25, 2007
mukina2:

i wonder what topic i wont see in here undecided

while u keepp your head firmly buried in the sands of denial your fellow women in Saudi Arabia are struggling to obtain the rights to vote and be voted for. They can't own ID cards, can't drive, can't swim in public places, can't travel without a male family member. In Iran, women are being arrested for wearing colored scarves or not completely covering their faces leaving only slits for eyes and noses.

In Nigeria, women in northern Nigeria are being condemned to death by stoning for the crime of being ra-ped.

Is someone coming back at me with that "its the arab culture" excuse?
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by DisGuy: 10:00pm On May 25, 2007
Is someone coming back at me with that "its the arab culture" excuse?

Is someone going to say yoruba muslims are not proper muslims

The women that drive in afghanistan i wonder what they are, i think those people have a new religion wink
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by mukina2: 10:02pm On May 25, 2007
david must you  quote me all the time?
where i am and in all the places i have gone to women drive

Telly b
i actuall meant to say for you to dissect my posts grin

where i am m women drive  ,even girls drive too and they are muslims cheesy
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by Nobody: 10:04pm On May 25, 2007
Dis Guy:

Is someone going to say yoruba muslims are not proper muslims

Even your hausa/fulani muslims refer to yoruba muslims as kaffirs. Go figure.

Dis Guy:

The women that drive in afghanistan i wonder what they are, i think those people have a new religion wink

Thank God for America and the uprooting of the taleban!
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by TellyB(m): 10:09pm On May 25, 2007
@mukina2,

mukina2:

Telly b
i actuall meant to say for you to dissect my posts grin

Oh well, am I now unsuspended afterall? grin

mukina2:

where i am m women drive ,even girls drive too and they are muslims cheesy

Well, that's good to know. Here in the UK, Muslim women actually drive - cars, buses, and bikes. Quite a different situation as obtains in northern Nigeria now, would you not agree??

However, I would really like to know what Islam teaches on this issue and many more; and why it is that most Muslim authorities would rather have the women far removed from such issues. smiley
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by DisGuy: 10:15pm On May 25, 2007
davidylan:

Even your hausa/fulani muslims refer to yoruba muslims as kaffirs. Go figure.

Thank God for America and the uprooting of the taleban!

Even the white people refer to the black people as animals. Less human?

bottomline: God is the Almighty creator only He knows who worship Him grin
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by TellyB(m): 10:16pm On May 25, 2007
Dis Guy:

Has the racist bug migrated here too?? shocked
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by mukina2: 10:18pm On May 25, 2007
i wouldnt know about Norther Nigeria,  i have never been there  cheesy

Haa i think i know who you are now lipsrsealed

well most Islamic countries operate on sharia and most Arab nations  tend to mix traditional .all male attitude .
most societies tend  to take the * guys can take care * attitude angry and thats sad .
thats why women are restricted in some  of these countries angry
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by TellyB(m): 10:25pm On May 25, 2007
@mukina2,

mukina2:

i wouldnt know about Norther Nigeria, i have never been there cheesy

You really don't have to be there before you come to terms with what's happening there. I have never been to Saudi Arabia, Pakistan or Afghanistan; but at least I know what's going on there in this regard. undecided

mukina2:

Haa i think i know who you are now lipsrsealed

Oh really? Keep guessing.

mukina2:

well most Islamic countries operate on sharia and most Arab nations tend to mix traditional .all male attitude .

Don't you think that also speaks volumes about how Muslims really don't hold to a single coherent interpretation of Islam? While it may be an "all male attitude", I would rather be inclined to see it as simply a case of deep cultural traits established in Islam's holy books.

mukina2:

most societies tend to take the * guys can take care * attitude angry and thats sad .
thats why women are restricted in some of these countries angry

I wholeheartedly agree with you; and I'd have to be forthright and honest with you as well that it happens even in Christianity and other religions.

However, I'm yet curious to know what exactly is the fundamental teaching of Islam on these issues. The various tafsir that I've perused have me a bit confused as they don't hold a single concensus on the matter, and any careless reader of the Qur'an and Hadith would simply have to take them at surface value. undecided
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by DisGuy: 10:32pm On May 25, 2007
However, I'm yet curious to know what exactly is the fundamental teaching of Islam on these issues. The various tafsir that I've perused have me a bit confused as they don't hold a single concensus on the matter, and any careless reader of the Qur'an and Hadith would simply have to take them at surface value.

Thats where common sense comes into it wink unfortunately not everyone has common sense; well not all the time anyway
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by mukina2: 10:40pm On May 25, 2007
tellyB

ok . .i get that .

Muslims are human too cheesy

we can try our best to do exactly as the hadiths or the Holy Quran says .

no human is perfect .

no one can tel me that they do exactly as their religion wants them to .

all we can do is ask for forgiveness where we have shortcomings! cheesy
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by TellyB(m): 10:42pm On May 25, 2007
@mukina2,

Thanks for your sensible answers.

Blessings. cheesy
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by olutomiwa(m): 5:26pm On May 26, 2007
i tire for this their religion and guess wot na their men fornicate pass,enof of PRETENCE,IF you dont believe pls travel go northern part of nigeria and see wetn old men dey do with YANRINYAN{small girls of 7,8,9 and 10 years of age}they call it CATCH THEM YOUNG.
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by Reverend(m): 6:29pm On May 26, 2007
It has nothing to do with religion. Women should not drive full stop grin grin grin
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by mrpataki(m): 8:25pm On May 26, 2007
Reverend:

It has nothing to do with religion. Women should not drive full stop grin grin grin

Why should women not drive? undecided
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by Reverend(m): 9:53pm On May 26, 2007
It is dangerous to other road users grin grin grin
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by stimulus(m): 11:25pm On Jun 30, 2007
I'm still wondering about the many "thou shalt not" of Islam for women.

1. Thou shalt not - - DRIVE

2. Thou shalt not  - - PLAY FOOTBALL

3. Thou shalt not  - - GO OUTSIDE YOUR HOME ON YOUR OWN unless a male relative accompanies you

4. Thou shalt not  - -  PLAY TENNIS WITH A JEW

5. Thou shalt not  - - MARRY A CHRISTIAN even if the muslim men can marry Christian ladies

etc.

But all's not lost hope. Because there seem to be a few positive THOU SHALT DOs as well:

1. Thou shalt - - SUCKLE A MALE WORKER

2. Thou shalt - - BE AMONG THE 72 VIRGINS AS REWARD TO  A "PEACEFUL" JIHADIST especially the ferocious ones

3. Thou shalt - - BE A "TILT" UNTO YOUR HUSBAND if you refuse, the angels will CURSE you until morning!

4. Thou shalt - BE TAKEN TO _ _ _ _ BY AN IRREVOCABLE DECREE remember Sura 19:71?

Can't remember many in the second list - probably because the forbidden things are weightier than the permitted things.  sad
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jun 30, 2007
1. Thou shalt - - DECLARE A DAY OF "PEACEFUL" RAGE when thou hearest of a cartoon depicting the prophet. You don't have to see it.
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by stimulus(m): 11:37pm On Jun 30, 2007
I forgot that one - naughty me! grin
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by Iman3(m): 11:45pm On Jun 30, 2007
Muslims inevitably see this kind of issue as an attack on Islam.Perhaps,there is some element of snobbery in it.However,the essence of the thread is to highlight a law imposed by Muslims in the name of Islam-Women should not drive.

It is not infidels that made up this issue.It is not a fabrication.Had this been a fabrication,one can rightfully say that it is an attack on Muslims.However,this issue was created by the islamic state called S.Arabia and justified by Islamic scholars on grounds of Islamic Law.Shouldn't the anger of Muslims be directed at Saudi Arabia instead of non-Muslims for rightfully seeking answers to what they regard as a comical legal provision?
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by uchetobi(f): 11:06am On Jul 04, 2007
@Reverend i hope this is some joke o!
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by stimulus(m): 11:14am On Jul 04, 2007
@I-man,

I-man:

Shouldn't the anger of Muslims be directed at Saudi Arabia instead of non-Muslims for rightfully seeking answers to what they regard as a comical legal provision?

Nope, Muslim anger is statutorily towards others rather than towards the ummah. Just apply it to any issue you might think of, and you'll see what I mean. Let's remind ourselves of two examples:

(a) The Islamic law of Qisas - Muslims who kill non-muslims cannot be queried, let alone arrested.

(b) A muslim can get angry with you (non-Muslim) for quoting Sura 19:71, even though it is in the Qur'an.

There are many more such issues; but that's just about the idea. cool
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by Paulus(m): 8:35pm On Jul 05, 2007
Quote from: Dis Guy on: May 25, 2007, 10:15 PM

How well do you know "white people?" Can you speak for ALL of them? I was taught not to stereotype others; apparently you weren't.

Do you know me, other than what you can read & see in my profile?

I didn't think so.

My views on "race," is that there's only one race that matters(no, it's not the white race, Dis Guy), it's the HUMAN race. All of us on this planet called Earth are a shade of brown. Some are a very light tan, some are very dark BUT we are all humans. My views on this subject came from my parents too.

Now, there are some that don't act very neighborly, always stirring up trouble,, but that's not in any particular race, either.
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by Ivvie: 6:55pm On Sep 03, 2007
I strongly believe that men and women are different and have different roles but this is just unacceptable. There are other aspects of life to (at least) waste your time on.
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by Ivvie: 7:07pm On Sep 03, 2007
On second note, I think he has a point there ( a whole lot ) but the driving thing is not a ground. Many of us don't recognise that the white-man's tradition isn't ours. They are trying to preserve their custom or culture. Many other countries aren't. For instance, in the United States, anything other than a caucasian is considered a minority. You more or less worth nothing. It's been mor than 250 years blacks and white lived together yet they don't do things the same and aren't entitled to the same benefits. They don't consider us as them and will not. African's should discover tey roots and flaunt it. One of the worst things you can do is to let western culture define who you are and even give you a name. I watched the clip and I don't think he lied anywhere. The driving issue is due to the fact that a cultural practice would be violated.
Re: Women Should Not Drive - Says Islam by cgift(m): 8:07am On Sep 04, 2007
who cares what they say or analys in as much it is not givven any legislative backing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should Pastors Be Paid For Performing Miracles / "Why Does The OT Show A God Of Wrath And The NT A God Of Mercy?" / How Mohammed Received His "Revealations" From Islamic Allah

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.